Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Our 5yo son's joke progression tonight.

"What do you get when a dog is outside in the sun too long?" "A hot dog." Pretty good.

"What do you get when a cat is outside in the sun too long?" "A hot cat." Okay. I see what you were going for there.

"What do you get when dad is outside in the sun too long?" "A dad dog." And you lost it.

That kid's got a future!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
"Why did the chicken cross the road?

I dunno bud, why?

"POOPIE BUTT"

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
You've got a genius on your hands. That young and already pointing out the sheer public health disaster that is the lack of accessible public restrooms in the area causing numerous urban problems, from the increased spread of illness and unsightliness of alleyside waste to, as the kid pointing out, jaywalking from desperate pedestrians trying to find a restroom leading to increased car strike fatalities.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I remembered how tiring the first weeks are but having a toddler melt down about toddler things on top of it really makes the weekends a special hell at times.

Savings Clown
May 7, 2007

We all float down here
God I wish I could just open a cupboard, take out a snack, and eat it.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I wish I could just decide to take a walk around the neighborhood at a consistent pace and without feeling like I need to rush back.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Shifty Pony posted:

I wish I could just decide to take a walk around the neighborhood at a consistent pace and without feeling like I need to rush back.

My in-laws watched my daughter this weekend and my wife and I went on a lovely 3.5 mile hike :shobon:

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I was in a wedding party this weekend and my wife came too. We left our 4 year old at her grandparents' house for her first solo sleepover since she was an infant.

The week leading up to it had evening meltdowns every day, but she was really excited the morning of. She couldn't wait for us to drop her off. Later during the reception we got texts that she was melting down--wanted to go home and asked grandma to cancel the sleepover by writing over it on the calendar--but eventually stabilized and made a show of erasing the cancellation.

Overall it went really well. It sounds like she had a lot of fun and grandparents were not entirely overwhelmed. She was super eager to see us when we picked her up and showed us the presents she had wrapped for us. (A garden squash and a flat rock shaped like a cookie.) I'm really hopeful that we can do something like this again and have some more child-free nights.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
A little late but regarding hair pulling… daycare called CPS on my kid’s dad when my daughter said he pulled her hair. It was when he was combing it. (This was before they got called for legit stuff.)

So you can tell your husband that hair pulling is CPS material.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Trying to find a new sleep sack with legs for my toddler in 3t cause my house gets stupid cold in the winter and she kicks blankets off still... find a company that makes them for kids and adults...

I really want one now lol

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Kyte? I've been tempted by theirs. Just got a woolino one for our two year old though, for the same reason.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Emily Spinach posted:

Kyte? I've been tempted by theirs. Just got a woolino one for our two year old though, for the same reason.

Yes the kyte ones... they look so comfy.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Does anyone else have a kid that refuses all blankets? After graduating from the sleep sack we went to thin Muslin blankets but the kid always kicked them off. Now that he’s old enough he always says “no blankie” “don’t tuck me in”.

So we don’t. We live in South Florida and he wears full long sleeve PJs+socks, but I run the AC and keep the house at 72 at night.

Weird kid. He definitely inherited my super sweatiness though, I get him from the playground and all the other kids look normal and he’s completely drenched.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I have the opposite problem where my kid demands two blankets in the middle of summer.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

We switched our nearly 3 year old into her 'big girl bed' this weekend. She never attempted to leave her crib but could easily get out so it was a little unnecessary, but it was absolutely time for the 7 month old to use the crib, so we forced the issue. We were concerned it would be a huge disruption for her, but she took to it very well, despite sleeping some of the first night on the floor, and all of last night sideways (or upside down, or with her legs on the wall). We quickly determined that a traditional sheet + comforter setup wasn't going to work, so its basically just her on the bed with her old blankets, which she tosses aside pretty quickly. She seems comfortable and sleeps through the night in a fleece onesie, with the temp in her room being around 70f.

anyways, looking forward to the night where she is scarred forever by escaping her room and catching us watching a lovely horror movie.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

My kid demands 3+ blankets and then kicks them all off after I leave the room

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
edit: nvm, too personal

Guildencrantz fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Oct 13, 2023

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Guildencrantz posted:

CW: Child abandonment, general :nms: stuff. Don't read if you don't want to be depressed.

FWIW it sounds like you're making the right call. I agree it seems lovely that they're placed with relatives if those are also into drugs and/or crime. But not much you can do about it -- the relatives and parents have some rights, and complete separation are not necessarily what's best for the kids either. It wouldn't make sense for the authorities to disappear the kids to the other side of the state and sever all contact, unless the parent seems completely irredeemable and unsafe to even visit them. If the family has worked somewhat well up until now, they probably took into account that the kids have a bond with their mother and it would be more traumatizing to uproot them suddenly and completely.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

What are people's experiences with ABA therapy? Looking at providers and curious if there are some red flags to watch out for.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Edna Mode posted:

What are people's experiences with ABA therapy? Looking at providers and curious if there are some red flags to watch out for.

I was an ABA clinician for 3 years. My 2 cents:

There's some controversy around ABA in autistic communities but that's a complicated discussion that tends to center around extreme cases; I can go into it more if you'd like but there be :words:

On the whole ABA is still regarded as a front line therapy for ASD behaviors and is an effective early childhood intervention. First thing you want to look for is that they actually have certification as a BCBA or BCaBA working under a BCBA. The basics of the therapy are quick to pick up but on the whole it's pretty complicated and you'll want a potential therapist to have that certification.

A lot of its similar to what you'd look for an OT or speech therapist: What age range have they worked with, how many years of experience do they have, etc. What works for one age range might be wildly inappropriate for another.

Like any therapy, rapport is incredibly important: Try to find someone your child will look forward to hanging out with.

I'll probably write some more later, need to kiddo to school rn. Hope this gives you a place to start at least.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Xand_Man posted:

I was an ABA clinician for 3 years. My 2 cents:

There's some controversy around ABA in autistic communities but that's a complicated discussion that tends to center around extreme cases; I can go into it more if you'd like but there be :words:

On the whole ABA is still regarded as a front line therapy for ASD behaviors and is an effective early childhood intervention. First thing you want to look for is that they actually have certification as a BCBA or BCaBA working under a BCBA. The basics of the therapy are quick to pick up but on the whole it's pretty complicated and you'll want a potential therapist to have that certification.

A lot of its similar to what you'd look for an OT or speech therapist: What age range have they worked with, how many years of experience do they have, etc. What works for one age range might be wildly inappropriate for another.

Like any therapy, rapport is incredibly important: Try to find someone your child will look forward to hanging out with.

I'll probably write some more later, need to kiddo to school rn. Hope this gives you a place to start at least.

Agree with all of this; I'll add a few more things from my experience (many of which might not apply if you're not in the US)

If it goes for you like it did for me, once your child has a diagnosis you may be on wait lists for at least several months, so you'll want to contact as many agencies as you can in your area. That being said, you don't necessarily want to jump on the first agency you get.

Unless you're really lucky, most of the time your child won't be spending time with their BCBA, but rather an RBT who is often a BCBA-in-training. BCBAs are certified and have a lot of experience whereas a lot of RBTs are young and still learning, and at a lot of agencies there's a lot of turnover. This can be disruptive for your child if they have to constantly get acclimated to a new person all the time. From what I gather, a lot of the bigger agencies tend to churn through RBTs a lot as they're driven to get the maximum profit possible, as there's quite a lot of money in ASD treatment (as you'll see from your insurance invoices).

When choosing an agency I'd ask about what their turnover looks like and what kind of experience/requirements they have for their RBTs. Another thing that's worth asking is how willing the agency is willing to fight your insurance provider. This is incredibly important in my experience as insurance will always try to minimize the number of hours of therapy your child can have, and will also want your BCBA to do stupid things that fill their checklists but might not be appropriate for your child. Having a BCBA that's willing to advocate for your child and fight insurance makes a big difference.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 11, 2023

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Told my nearly-three-yo he couldn't peek between his fingers while counting during hide and seek

He threw himself prostrate upon the floor and wept aloud for several minutes

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
My 4yo daughter reports that “slay” means cool, and her light up shoes are slay.

Confirm/deny?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Kid has recently started to favor peppa pig over daniel tiger and while I greatly respect what DT is trying to do Im definitely not missing the drama of each daniel episode and subsequent emulation of said drama by my 3 year old

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Koivunen posted:

My 4yo daughter reports that “slay” means cool, and her light up shoes are slay.

Confirm/deny?

Pretty much. It's like "this thing is so good, it is literally killing me." It's usually used as a verb, though. "These light up shoes slay."

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Pretty much. It's like "this thing is so good, it is literally killing me." It's usually used as a verb, though. "These light up shoes slay."

Idk, a 4 year old is hipper than a teen. This is the new etymology.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Little Ms 1.5 insisted on walking home from daycare last night, and walking with me when I took her this morning as well. It’s less than a half mile (love living in dense greater Tokyo) but has to cross a couple busy roads, she did well to hold my hand and manage them.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

I met a graduate student (probably early 20s) this weekend who seemed to use “slay” the way I would use “cool” or “ok,” like a generally favorable acknowledgment. As in, “This is how you do xyz” would get a response of “Slay.” I tried not to act too surprised lest the students realize I am old (I’m 37).

Dr. Chaco fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 12, 2023

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Our third bout of croup has arrived.
Poor baby coughing up a lung all night. Really hoping we don't land in the hospital again tonight

We got an inhaler and mask thing of Albuterol at the doctor's office today but it's hard to tell if it's really helping even that much.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

nachos posted:

Kid has recently started to favor peppa pig over daniel tiger and while I greatly respect what DT is trying to do Im definitely not missing the drama of each daniel episode and subsequent emulation of said drama by my 3 year old

I got pretty tired of how Peppa Pig and Bluey both treat the Dad, it's pretty bad.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Dr. Chaco posted:

I met a graduate student (probably early 20s) this weekend who seemed to use “slay” the way I would use “cool” or “ok,” like a generally favorable acknowledgment. As in, “This is how you do xyz” would get a response of “Slay.” I tried not to act too surprised lest the students realize I am old (I’m 37).

My 16 year old cousin does this too. Took me a while to realize that's just how it's used now and that he wasn't constantly mocking me with the equivalent of a deadpan YASSS BITCH SLAYYY

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

harperdc posted:

Little Ms 1.5 insisted on walking home from daycare last night, and walking with me when I took her this morning as well. It’s less than a half mile (love living in dense greater Tokyo) but has to cross a couple busy roads, she did well to hold my hand and manage them.

My two year old 90% of the time will try and fight hand holding and want to just run as fast as they can into traffic.

It's not fun. But they are starting to learn how to stop and come back when I tell them to.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Dr. Chaco posted:

Of course, when I finally grasp a new lingo, it changes. I will forever be an out-of-touch dad. Which is tubular and rad to the max.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

My 27 year old co worker says "bruh" to our boss all the time and I hate it

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Genpei Turtle posted:

parent perspective.

All of this. BCaBA is the undergrad program and means they are at least semi-serious about pursuing it as a career.

I've never had to do the insurance fight but I've heard stories. Make sure you have clear documentation of ASD and anything else you think might be contributing to their behavior.

More therapist finding rambling:

I'd ask a potential therapist to share a rough game plan for a simple behavior you'd like to eliminate. You're looking for a couple things with that request: First, what kind of questions do they ask? They should really try to grok how the behavior fits into the kid's life (ya know, Analyze the Behavior).

Second thing you are trying to get is how they communicate the nitty gritty of the therapy. ABA can tend a bit jargony/technical and they should be comfortable talking to parents and keeping you in the loop

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Alarbus posted:

I got pretty tired of how Peppa Pig and Bluey both treat the Dad, it's pretty bad.
What aspect of Bluey did you object to?

Regarding Peppa Pig, I don’t approve of their gender stereotyping. But from that particular perspective, I think Bluey does pretty well except that Dad seems to be the only one with a job. (At least, I never saw Chili refer to her job at all.) Bandit participates extremely actively in the parenting and seems to prioritize spending a lot of time with the kids on days off.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Dr. Chaco posted:

A friend just got their reviews back for a grad student talk, she's 35, one of the younger students used slay in the same way. So yeah it's a young person thing for sure.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Regarding Peppa Pig, I don’t approve of their gender stereotyping. But from that particular perspective, I think Bluey does pretty well except that Dad seems to be the only one with a job. (At least, I never saw Chili refer to her job at all.) Bandit participates extremely actively in the parenting and seems to prioritize spending a lot of time with the kids on days off.

Same. There’s a “Stumpfest” episode where Bandit lets the kids apply makeup to himself and his mates have to get their finger and toenails painted, and then they just keep the makeup/paint on and continue working in the yard.

Must’ve broken some brains.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

In "Magic Xylophone," one of the first episodes, Chili says she's going to take the xylophone to freeze her boss. I think she works at the airport.

Related, we had a big pile of soil delivered for my new raised planters, so you can all guess how that went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Chilli is a sniffer dog at the airport and Bandit is an archaeologist. There's an episode where he's talking about going out on a dig.