Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

CainsDescendant posted:

The new D&D movie with Chris Pine is in the Forgotten Realms and it's a hoot. No real appearances from any of the various novel characters, though

The Paladin was originally going to he Drizzt and WotC fought really hard to keep it that way. But the people making the movie refused to add anything about the Drow in due to the racial tones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

El Grillo posted:

Fellowship is around 170,000 words even with the Tolkein verbiage. That includes (as someone else pointed out) obviously-not-required stuff like Crickhollow, Bombadil etc.
EotW by contrast is just over 300,000 words and in my view the pacing is relatively speedy, things mostly keep moving pretty quickly at last until the late-mid trudge-to-Caemlyn section.
Fellowship has 22 chapters, EotW has 52 chapters (partly of course that's due to Tolkein's longer chapters of course).
I honestly hadn't realized LotR was quite so small. Granted it's been a reeeeeeeally long time since I last read it, but in my memories each LotR book is about as big as an early WoT book and that is obviously incorrect.

El Grillo posted:

https://www.vulture.com/article/wheel-of-time-season-2-showrunner-explains-adaptation-choices.html

This is a bit odd to me. I mean the early books are hugely cinematic. They are not too structurally complicated either, and the characters do each have their moments albeit Matt and Egwene not quite so much in book 1.
Then again he also said in an interview back when season 1 was released, that they wanted the feel of the show to be like the later books from early on so that's why they are only loosely adapting the early books. Which is also a bit crazy to me, but there we go.
I've always kinda thought the shifts between the first trilogy and the second, and the second and the third+, were pretty important for the feel of series. The way the scope just keeps zooming out and out and out. If you start out too far, it feels like you're gonna run out of space.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

CainFortea posted:

Not really no. There's only about 2 "generations" of people in the main story books. iirc the main story only spans about 20ish years or so.

Edit: Naturally some absolute crazy person did a timeline of (most) major events in the entire universe of the books (since there is time travel this is Rather Complicated). Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be complete. But...

Lessa wakes at dawn, the opening to the first main story book happens on turn 2505.
Jaxom is confirmed as Lord Holder of Ruatha in 2523 which is only a few turns away from the end of the main story.

Just googled, and admittedly way more books have been written since I stopped reading. But I was talking about how the first trilogy is the ninth pass, and there's a trilogy written during the first pass 2,500 years before that, Dragonseye written 250 years after that first pass, Moretta written 1,550 years after the first pass, etc. The timeline is all over the place. But you're right, it's not nearly as bad as I thought.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Wait, there's a trilogy after Dragonsdawn? Interesting, I thought that one was far and away the best book.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Wait, there's a trilogy after Dragonsdawn? Interesting, I thought that one was far and away the best book.

Sorry, I said that wrong because I was reading how Wikipedia listed it weird. I was referring to the short story collection here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chronicles_of_Pern:_First_Fall

They had it listed like this:

quote:

Dragonsdawn (1988)
- "Landing" (0 to 2 AL)
- "Thread" (8 AL)
- "Crossing" (8 to 9 AL)

The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall (1993 collection)
- "The Dolphins' Bell"
- "The Ford of Red Hanrahan"
- "The Second Weyr"
- "Rescue Run"

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

was pern the tent peg series?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ChubbyChecker posted:

I'm not sure what tent peg in this context means but it's the one with the telepathic dragons who are bonded for life to humans to burn space fungus in the sky

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Pern is hard. There’s a couple of believable collections but the first problem is cgi. It’s a big task to get believable character dragons, much less extras as dragons, and there are a lot of dragons and fire lizards. You can’t even cut them because that’s what the audience is here to see.

Other series wide problems regardless of cycle:

Time travel is hard on audiences.
Telepathy is hard to portray.
Consent and Age related issue abound.

The lessa cycle specifically has to address lessa’s age, her circumstances, search, the various mating flights, Brooke, and actual kidnapping/rape/other-extremely-unpleasantness. The audience for this one is hard, because you are almost certainly R rated in the text.

The jaxom cycle isn’t formalized, but let’s say it’s white dragon until the obvious resolution of the big project. There’s a lot there, and good news a bunch of it is inside laboratories which are effectively huts, so you don’t need a billion cgi effects of fighting thread unlike “set in a literal volcano caldera with dragons flying by constantly and going to dragon school as lessa’s books. All is not lost for gorgeous and expensive vistas, ruatha/landing/TheHall and the fire lizards are all over. You’re also still going to have some unpleasantness that needs to be expositioned at a minimum, as well as difficulties with the age of various characters. What you save not having to budget for aerial dogfights, volcano habitat, and multiple consent violation liability insurance you probably lose having to wrangle it all together into a single cohesive through line without the Lessa chapters to anchor the start alongside a flock of fire lizards. Maybe.

The moretta stuff is compelling in the wake of Covid and nowhere else, you needed to be stealth shooting this already to hit the obvious window.

First landing is a hard film. The cgi budget is probably Avatar, and the story itself isn’t a clean genre fit. There is no clear overarching protagonist either.

The Harper hall books and the dolphin books are oddly easier to fit, but I don’t know what their audience draw would be like.

To be clear, I’d be interested in seeing pern if only for the red star scenes, but I don’t doubt much wiser movie people than ai have looked at it and gone, nah.

Anias fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 11, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I mean, the age stuff is easy. Everyone is now older. Done. WoTshow shows that's a very easy and good solution.

But yea, you're gonna have a lot of dragons on the screen, and even if you have a whole inhouse shop to do good dragon CGI that's still a poo poo ton of CGI.

And really this series about one of the only times you could do "sound effect covered characterless voice over" and have it work, since dragons don't talk a lot and tend to have similar voices of their riders.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'd love to see Patricia Wrede or Tamora Pierce adaptations

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I've read like a dozen Pern books and my faint memories of it is the draw was following teenage protagonists that then settled down with Dragons and each other. Like I don't remember it being particularly exciting but you just wanted to know how the characters were doing, like fantasy Facebook

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ChubbyChecker posted:

https://fanlore.org/wiki/The_Tent_Peg_Statement

Yes

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Robin Hood's Assassin Apprentice books should be a shoe in for a good adaptation. Limited environments, not concerned with high fantasy really but character based emotional arcs and the resolving of emotional trauma. They're good books.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Holy poo poo I didn't know this was referencing an actual thing.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Lmao

Idk I'd do dragonsdawn as an ensemble but I remember a lot of those books being pretty weird so I don't think you'd sell it

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

i really wish that this genre wasn't filled with creeps

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

ChubbyChecker posted:

i really wish that this genre wasn't filled with creeps

Humans are creepy and as something awful has repeatedly shown if you take good notes and keep us talking no matter how well intentioned we all may be eventually someone is going to post badly and double down on it. Anne is dead now, not much else to say. Newer writers try to do better.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Anias posted:

Humans are creepy and as something awful has repeatedly shown if you take good notes and keep us talking no matter how well intentioned we all may be eventually someone is going to post badly and double down on it. Anne is dead now, not much else to say. Newer writers try to do better.

Oh also the whole "if your dragon has sex so do you" thing can literally just be dropped entirely. It has no plot relevance that can't be set up in the story by just having characters being who they are. Kylara can still just be an rear end in a top hat.

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

I would ask why so many fantasy book series end up having weird sex things in them but we all know the answer

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

It's so funny to hear presumably straight people say gay sex is too good, no one can resist it

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CuriousSymptoms posted:

I would ask why so many fantasy book series end up having weird sex things in them but we all know the answer

It's basically all book writers though. I mean, look at Sci-fi and period historical writers. It's just different flavors of weird.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

In my day you had to read 300 pages of dudes named Anders and magic wolves named Ambrosia to get fetish smut, now you just have google. Gen Z has it too easy

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

socialsecurity posted:

The issue to me is the first season is the only real way to show the Two Rivers folk as "normal" before the crazy poo poo really starts happening to them, we should of had way more episodes of all that. We should have good idea of most of their personalities and convictions by then, instead of them mostly standing around gawking at things happening around them, looking at you Rand/Perrin.

The original script for the first episode was two hours showing a lot of that before Amazon told Rafe he had to cut it to an hour.

I think you can find that script online somewhere.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

CuriousSymptoms posted:

People who write a gigantic escape world have weird tendencies, who knew

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

People who write a gigantic escape world have weird tendencies, who knew

I'm suddenly reminded of that angry thumb-shaped fatass who everyone laughed at because he went on a screaming rant about how he played video games to escape from all the oppressive gender and sexual diversity in the real world that never gave allegedly straight cis rear end a second's peace and literally everyone was like "*inhales*... Buddy"

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

theblackw0lf posted:

The original script for the first episode was two hours showing a lot of that before Amazon told Rafe he had to cut it to an hour.

I think you can find that script online somewhere.

If anyone comes across this, I’d like to read it.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Grundulum posted:

If anyone comes across this, I’d like to read it.

http://tvwriting.co.uk/tv_scripts/2021/Drama/Wheel_of_Time_1x01_-_Leavetaking.pdf

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Thanks. It's really fascinating this used to be in the first episode, which means the "who is the dragon" seems like a mystery added later.

quote:

RAND
Why? What's wrong? Are you all right?

But Tam's in a fever dream now almost, the wound on his shoulder
looks absolutely horrific, BUBBLING with black pus --

TAM AL'THOR
Kari?
Tam's eyes are unfocused as he looks at his son, touches his red hair. He's deep in a fever dream now, like he thinks he's talking to his dead wife --

TAM AL'THOR (CONT’D)
It was just so hot, battles always are. Sweat heat. Blood heat. Only death is cool.
RAND
What're you talking about?
TAM AL'THOR
I didn't mean to find her there. Was just trying to get away from the heat and the stink. Up the mountain, into the snow. And there she was, an Aiel, blue with cold. Covered her little boy in her cloak. He should have been dead too. Crying in the snow. I couldn't just leave a child... no children of our own... always knew you wanted children.

Rand just watches his dad now, almost horrified. What is he saying? Is he talking about finding Rand?
RAND
Dad...

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Thank you for this. Starting with Gitara Moroso was an interesting choice. Equally interesting was the decision to have Gitara tell young Moiraine that her mission was to find the Dragon Reborn…and kill them. There’s definitely a lot more characterization present, but I don’t think I like this version more than what we eventually got.

Also, :lol: (emphasis in original)

quote:

Then we see Perrin’s wife, Laila. She watches Perrin watch Egwene, and it’s 100% clear on her face -- she thinks her husband‘s in love with another woman.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah, it was pretty clear to me that Laila thought Perrin was pining for Egwene.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Thank you. Saving this for later.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Grundulum posted:

Starting with Gitara Moroso was an interesting choice.
Honestly, if you don't want to cold open with the original prologue, I don't hate doing it with this. Start the show with Gitara yelling, dying, Siuan and Moiraine look at each other, smash cut to Emond's Field.

That also lets you be more subtle with Moiraine while still keeping a Dragon mystery if you want it, and so on and so forth.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

bio347 posted:

Honestly, if you don't want to cold open with the original prologue, I don't hate doing it with this. Start the show with Gitara yelling, dying, Siuan and Moiraine look at each other, smash cut to Emond's Field.

That also lets you be more subtle with Moiraine while still keeping a Dragon mystery if you want it, and so on and so forth.

Yeah, I'd be onboard with that. Cast a powerhouse to come in and nail that passage and set the tone.

"He is born again! I feel him! The Dragon takes his first breath on the slope of Dragonmount! He is coming! He is coming! Light help us! Light help the world! He lies in the snow and cries like the thunder! He burns like the sun!"

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Pern was the book where they burned sperm in the air right

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Democratic Pirate posted:

Pern was the book where they burned sperm in the air right

Space mushrooms that consumed all organic material.

But yes.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I’m trying to remember a depressing as gently caress series I read when I was young…gay protagonist with a magic horse? Another of her series was weird and had Griffins and poo poo. I just remember them being very dark and sad.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

KilGrey posted:

I’m trying to remember a depressing as gently caress series I read when I was young…gay protagonist with a magic horse? Another of her series was weird and had Griffins and poo poo. I just remember them being very dark and sad.

Was the author Mercedes Lackey? She's got a novel series with gryphons and another one with magic horses.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

CainFortea posted:

Was the author Mercedes Lackey? She's got a novel series with gryphons and another one with magic horses.

Yes! She’s the one. I don’t remember a lot of it but just some really loving grim torture scenes and just being depressing. I think the books were good but that’s all that’s stuck with me.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Dark Lord of Derkholm could be a fun movie or series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Democratic Pirate posted:

Dark Lord of Derkholm could be a fun movie or series.

Too much of Diana Wynne Jones is both underappreciated and would make excellent adaptations.