Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Pants Donkey posted:

Proxy camping is one thing, but I can’t imagine how joyless your life has to be in order for staring at a hooked player for two minutes to be considered fun.

Outside of the end-game where waiting at a hook is your best way to get more survivors to swing at, I'll only camp a hook if someone leads a chase back to the hook and I manage to down them there while the other survivor is still hooked. If they don't immediately crawl away from the hook then that's half the team indisposed in one spot, I'm not going anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

It's kinda impressive that new Skull Merchant has even broken Otz's enthusiasm.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I still maintain that she is fun to play and I disagree completely with Otz on this occasion. Definitely a marked improvement over camp the 3 gen until the game ends.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I always bring Kindred so I can at least be on gens while all three of my teammates slowly Metal Gear Solid their way to the hook.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

I always bring Kindred so I can at least be on gens while all three of my teammates slowly Metal Gear Solid their way to the hook.

Urban Evasion was a mistake

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

It's kinda impressive that new Skull Merchant has even broken Otz's enthusiasm.

Otz has been really obviously super burnt out on dbd lately, and not even just from a content creator standpoint where people giving up means he can't use any of his footage. He's been frustrated at the direction a lot of the new perks and balance changes have been going (haste and endurance have been slapped onto EVERYTHING) and I think something must have happened re: fog whisperer stuff because for a while there he was talking about how he and others weren't getting listened to etc. That last part is me putting on my tinfoil hat though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

curiousTerminal posted:

Otz has been really obviously super burnt out on dbd lately, and not even just from a content creator standpoint where people giving up means he can't use any of his footage. He's been frustrated at the direction a lot of the new perks and balance changes have been going (haste and endurance have been slapped onto EVERYTHING) and I think something must have happened re: fog whisperer stuff because for a while there he was talking about how he and others weren't getting listened to etc. That last part is me putting on my tinfoil hat though.

Even if BHVR were doing awesome, the game is stale and 3 new perks every 3 months doesn't change that. It needs to focus some direction on creating new game modes and challenges. I think the easy win on that one is their random perk generator. It's in the game code already since they made the challenge, they could have a mode where everyone gets a random set. Make it so all perks are unlocked even if you don't have the character, give bonus BP.

And then remember that DBD is Otz's job. No matter how fun something is, doing it 50 hours a week makes it not fun.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Killers are already abusing the vertical camp coding. Had a nurse hook me next to a hill and stand 3 inches away from me, but since she was "on a different floor" the meter didn't go up.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Medullah posted:

Even if BHVR were doing awesome, the game is stale and 3 new perks every 3 months doesn't change that.

Isn't the high level DbD just knowing how to loop? Like, it doesn't matter if you know where the gens are/know how to do them or if you know how to find a survivor. If you can't loop/anti-loop, you are hosed. Everyone will just do gens will you loop someone and if you find someone else, they will loop you until gens are done.

It may be that I just suck at the one part that the entire game revolve around but the fact the entire game revolve around knowing how to loop is a problem in and of itself. But then again, the game has been out since 2016 so it's probably been like that for a while.

rydiafan posted:

Killers are already abusing the vertical camp coding. Had a nurse hook me next to a hill and stand 3 inches away from me, but since she was "on a different floor" the meter didn't go up.

The same could be said about player playing in group of 4, most certainly in vc, with the perk Made For This, Windows of Opportunity, Flashbang, Lithe & others peks with a flashlight. I'm pretty sure a lot of people abuse mechanics of the game and it probably doesn't matter if they are survivor or killer.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

rydiafan posted:

And without the anti camping mechanic this same thing still happens. Sure it doesn't help 100% of the situations but it does help in quite a few where people are aggressively camping. I'd rather it be a bit more forgiving in what it considers camping than punishing killers on a two story map.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
Speaking of the anti face camping change, last night all the games I played were as Bubba, with some special rules:

Always bring Survivors to the Basement
Never hook Survivors anywhere other than the Basement
Chill out with (face camp) the hooked Survivor
If the Survivor unhooks themselves, let them go
If someone else unhooks the Survivor, let them both go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n46tNCuMm20

It was surprisingly fun. Threw lots of jerks onto hooks, made some friends along the way.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Literal first killer game since they put out the anti-camping patch, and I got called a "camptard" by a survivor in the post-game chat because I put someone in the basement after the gens were all done and didn't leave the general area of the main building when I didn't see a single survivor show up to try for a save. Good times.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
That's a goofy Dredge cosmetic, guess I have no choice but to complete a rift for the first time.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

L.U.I.G.I posted:

The same could be said about player playing in group of 4, most certainly in vc, with the perk Made For This, Windows of Opportunity, Flashbang, Lithe & others peks with a flashlight.

No it couldn't? Using perks isn't abusing mechanics. The vertical exception for the face camp mechanism was designed for multistory maps, not for the killer to stand on an apple crate next to the hook.

I mean, at the end of the day I agree with:

Kwolok posted:

I'd rather it be a bit more forgiving in what it considers camping than punishing killers on a two story map.

but I still hate people using loopholes to create negative play experiences.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Yeah uh, I didn't see anything wrong with what rydiafan said.

Just because survivors abuse poo poo as much as they can and are way more likely to be assholes on average doesn't mean you can't point out when a killer is literally abusing a mechanic, and that's a pretty obvious example of "this is not intended to work that way and you are knowingly taking advantage of that".

Like to be clear I'm normally "oh the killer facecamped you? So what did you do to deserve it?" levels of giving killers the benefit of the doubt, but this is pretty cut and dry lmao.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

They would likely need to tweak the mechanic for specific killers. Going up two flights and teleporting back down to the hook isn’t something every killer can do.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Pants Donkey posted:

They would likely need to tweak the mechanic for specific killers. Going up two flights and teleporting back down to the hook isn’t something every killer can do.

Well, since they said on a hill 3 inches away, it sounded less like a nurse-specific thing and more like this (professional artist's phone rendering):

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Tiny Myers posted:

Well, since they said on a hill 3 inches away, it sounded less like a nurse-specific thing and more like this (professional artist's phone rendering):

This was it exactly, yeah.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ah I may have misread it

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06Iqf56l4E4

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Please do not take screenshots and "claim" that you drew it.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

:allears:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://clips.twitch.tv/MiniatureBlightedArugulaDuDudu-R63_-R5D_4KriEaa

Watching Hens stream, he decided to abuse the self unhook with Myers. Funny every time. Of course people coud just not unhook...but the temptation is real.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Killer random perk archives challenge gave me Corrupt Intervention, Awakened Awareness, Pop Goes the Weasel, Dying Light. Could've been so much worse. Really hoping they add a base game randomizer function, I'm kinda bummed I can't go back and redo it now.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

A monthly rotation of special rules would help to keep things fresh. Other games do that to varying effect, and dbd already has its share of goofy side things you can do in a match.

Random perk queue would probably slowly die off in popularity once the novelty wore off.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

A monthly rotation of special rules would help to keep things fresh. Other games do that to varying effect, and dbd already has its share of goofy side things you can do in a match.

Random perk queue would probably slowly die off in popularity once the novelty wore off.

I don't even need a random perk queue, just let me click a button or have a fourth tab just be dedicated to random. I'll play in regular lobbies like that, idgaf.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

I mean, there are sites/apps that will pick random perks for you, if that's all you want.

I was thinking it'd be fun if they gave you bonus BP, or something, in exchange for the extra challenge...

VVVVVV I agree, make it more accessible, but they could do even more than that.

BrewingTea fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 12, 2023

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

A button would still be nice if it chose from all available perks and not just what a person has unlocked.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

BrewingTea posted:

I mean, there are sites/apps that will pick random perks for you, if that's all you want.

I was thinking it'd be fun if they gave you bonus BP, or something, in exchange for the extra challenge...

My point is more they already have it in the game, just make it more accessible than a challenge you can't do more than once.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

3 killer games, 9 MFTs. loving hell, people, we aren't playing for money. Relax.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Sounds like a job for tombstone Myers, skip that pesky 'injured' state entirely. :)

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I love playing Wraith, he has a huge range of build potential (especially with his terror radius meme addon that makes the perks that normally aren't good, good) and I enjoy the speed and the sneaking, y'know? He's the only killer I have over P5. When i don't know who to play, I play Wraith.

I have not played Wraith in like 2 months because MFT+Resi makes him impossible. Straight up I've been playing mostly Nurse as my "eh gently caress it" killer because I can no longer be assed to deal with chasing people right now.

Also, update on killer tracking since I hit 100 games: Wesker back at #1, Blight, Neme, Huntress, Xeno all tied for second. Every killer at 2 or less is an M1 killer. (or one of the usual unicorns)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Man Dredge gets the best skins.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I've been tempted for so long to become a Dredge main just because of its cosmetics.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

rydiafan posted:

I've been tempted for so long to become a Dredge main just because of its cosmetics.

I really enjoy him, but he's seriously hampered by some maps and their lack of lockers. People running up and down main street on Haddonfield? Get hosed, Dredge.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Counterpoint: I'm made out of dolls, or horses, or snow. Or some combination of the above wearing a Roman helmet.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Dredge is cool as hell

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

The Dredge is such a fantastic and unique design for a monster that it's hard to believe it came from BHVR and their "what if human but mildly weird at most" fixation with their original killers.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

https://twitter.com/dvveet/status/1712851878973948014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Goddam the Knight costume looks amazing.