Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Patware posted:

is shimabukuro still boxing, there's a rematch i wanna see

"you fool ippo, while you were honing your skills and becoming more well-rounded i simply became even wider"

imagine he's still drawn in the old art style while everyone else is in the new one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 16 days!)

i re-read like the first 30 or so chapters a few weeks ago.
man, did Mashiba look different lol

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
It was honestly a bit difficult to tell who was who back then. Like the exaggerated features really help

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

"You forgot to take off your weights" lmao

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tbp posted:

i sincerely think this is the best training arc ever written in manga lol

My sole gripe about it is the silliness with the training weights (that seem to exist solely to create a "wait, he hasn't removed them yet :smug:" scene).

That method doesn't work in real life! And even if it's supposed to work in the specific context of this manga, there'd be zero reason for all other serious boxers to not also use it. Wearing weights everywhere is probably one of the lowest-effort forms of training Ippo does.

Aside from that it's been great, though.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

love the overload of sound effect kanji/words on each panel.
especially the sound of the final punches of the chapter

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

tbp posted:

i sincerely think this is the best training arc ever written in manga lol

It started so strangely but it was a bold and refreshing choice and now its been paying off big time. And its building up so much excitment in reading, I went from "yeah i'm down for the rest of this manga having Ippo on the sidelines" to "oh my god Ippo can actually become the world champion and I really want to see him fight again"

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Do you think these spars that Ippo's been doing will bring us full circle with him sparring with Miyata, and allow both of them to finally move on from that? Possibly as his final "coaching" spar to give Ippo the push to come back from retirement.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

7 pages, break next week, Morikawa you bastard

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:lmao:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Rubellavator posted:

Note: One page is the scanlator credit page, so really it's 6 pages

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Me clicking "next page" and being confused

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Rubellavator posted:

lol wtf

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Supremezero posted:

Note: One page is the scanlator credit page, so really it's 6 pages

like first 2-3 pages is a recap of the previous chapter, so 4 pages.

also, Mashiba said the line!
"is he really retired..."

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Rubellavator posted:

Morikawa you bastard

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/WFqxe3o.mp4

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Ippo's first return match.
Everyone expects the old style.

He wins by fighting like an outboxer and with a counter

everyone: he never fought like this!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

GateOfD posted:

Ippo's first return match.
Everyone expects the old style.

He wins by fighting like an outboxer and with a counter

everyone: he never fought like this!

coach is furious as he spent the entire match screaming "dempsey roll! do the dempsey roll!"

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
one narrative thread i have a bit of nerves coming around is if mori tries to reframe kamogawa as always having given ippo good advice, it just was that ippo didn't synthesize it well. this just isn't really the case, his communication to ippo was always pretty bad.

the whole "takamura intuiting how to beat dragon from a cryptic comment from kamogawa" makes me think he will be put in this light, tho

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Sigh short filler tease of a chapter

I hope that finally Ippo stands up to coach to box his own style with his knowledge and this inspires Kamogawa to give Ippo the gym to take over for him after his resurgence. Would be nice but would also acknowledge Ippo has surpassed him and will carry on his legacy better than him getting dudes brains exploded for coaching them into taking shots.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I think it'd be funny if it took a thousand chapters for him to get back in the ring then he got nailed in the head immediately and retired again

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I think it'd be funny if it took a thousand chapters for him to get back in the ring then he got nailed in the head immediately and retired again

That would be hilarious, but also I want Ippo to have a happy ending; be a champ, kiss kumi, have a better life than he did doing good stuff with his pals.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tbp posted:

one narrative thread i have a bit of nerves coming around is if mori tries to reframe kamogawa as always having given ippo good advice, it just was that ippo didn't synthesize it well. this just isn't really the case, his communication to ippo was always pretty bad.

the whole "takamura intuiting how to beat dragon from a cryptic comment from kamogawa" makes me think he will be put in this light, tho

If I'm being really generous, Kamogawa can be credited with "teaching Ippo effective exercises for learning various skills" (I mean, most wouldn't be great in reality, but in the context of the manga they presumably are). And Ippo presumably benefits a lot from Kamogawa's drills where Ippo hits his gloves.

But the guy basically never actually has good advice for Ippo. He's only good for helping Ippo learn new skills (and even then, only sometimes). I can't think of any time that he's had insightful advice for Ippo during a match.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
yeah, I'm rereading this from the start right now and Kamogawa almost never provides any actual help

especially during the early matches. in every rookie kings fight, Kamogawa's just sitting there in the corner saying "I have no idea what to tell the brat, I can't see any way he could win this!", and then Ippo gets the key advice he needs from Takamura or Aoki or something. he basically learned his basic boxing skills from Takamura, the coach didn't do poo poo

by a couple hundred chapters in, the coach is at least pretending to be teaching Ippo how to box, but aside from the mitt-hitting it's mostly vague stuff like "you should work on training your legs next, I have the perfect exercise for that". and then someone else teaches him how to put that boosted leg strength to actual use. and he's still a completely worthless second

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

I think he does go a good job of preparing ippo's body to be able to handle the next time/tools to be able to do it.

but honestly, all the direct coaches of every fighter seem to don't do much ringside. Sendos/Vorgs/Monkey (goddamn was he useless) The most any of them ever give as advice is "Use the round to recover" or "Use the first round to scout them"

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Vizuyos posted:

yeah, I'm rereading this from the start right now and Kamogawa almost never provides any actual help

especially during the early matches. in every rookie kings fight, Kamogawa's just sitting there in the corner saying "I have no idea what to tell the brat, I can't see any way he could win this!", and then Ippo gets the key advice he needs from Takamura or Aoki or something. he basically learned his basic boxing skills from Takamura, the coach didn't do poo poo

by a couple hundred chapters in, the coach is at least pretending to be teaching Ippo how to box, but aside from the mitt-hitting it's mostly vague stuff like "you should work on training your legs next, I have the perfect exercise for that". and then someone else teaches him how to put that boosted leg strength to actual use. and he's still a completely worthless second
Yeah. It's interesting how Ippo came to feel he owes the coach a trophy mostly because that's how Takamura (the person who actually discovered Ippo) felt. But Takamura had good reason for being so grateful to Kamogawa.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 12, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Vizuyos posted:

Takamura definitely provides the most actual advice.

There are some times where the coach technically has a semi-reasonable plan, but it's kept secret from the reader (and thus Ippo), presumably for the purposes of dramatic tension.

The best example of this is the Ippo/Vorg fight. Ippo is basically just getting owned constantly (it's almost Woli-tier in terms of how one-sided it is until the very end), and the coach gives zero advice other than "hang in there." In the end, it's revealed that Ippo wins because he has more stamina than Vorg (which is pretty plausible given Vorg's background), and his intense drilling allows him to continue to throw his punches effectively even while running on fumes, while Vorg starts to fall apart near the end. I guess you're supposed to interpret this as "the coach doing what is necessary to keep Ippo going long enough to wear down Vorg," but it just comes off like the coach stonewalling Ippo and telling him to just keep getting the poo poo beat out of him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

GateOfD posted:

I think he does go a good job of preparing ippo's body to be able to handle the next time/tools to be able to do it.

but honestly, all the direct coaches of every fighter seem to don't do much ringside. Sendos/Vorgs/Monkey (goddamn was he useless) The most any of them ever give as advice is "Use the round to recover" or "Use the first round to scout them"

Miguel always seemed to be a good second.

Kamogawa at one point even admitted he's pretty useless ringside.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I remember the super early chapters Kamogawa was like we aren't gonna teach you to dodge or any of that poo poo. Just gonna build you up so you can take hits like Mike Tyson.

God this series is that old.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
In the first chapters of this manga, before many people in this thread were born...

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I always love when the thread comes around again to poo poo on Ippo's coach. He's the worst. Kamogawa has one plan B and it's always "Guts!!" Any other boxing advice can only be attained by trying to intuit what he wants like he expects you to be some kind of genius empath. When called out on it he squashed a banana in anger. Also he needs to shave off that one lick of hair he has from his receding hairline. Just give it up. It looks gross.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
No it makes him look like a big baby which accurately reflects his understanding of boxing

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I vaguely recall at one point a decade ago, the thread joked about the coach telling Ippo to just smash his face into the opponent's fist, then next chapter Kamogawa starts talking about how craniums and foreheads are a lot harder than knuckles.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

that was a legit technique back in the day before gloves where you'd only have to do it like once because the other guy's hands would shatter lol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I believe it's also true that moving your head closer can reduce the power of a punch, because the fist connects too early into the motion (before the arm is extended enough to maximize power)?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Ippo is a great strategist now, yes.

but man, during the time when Ippo was trying to brainstorm a new improved dempsey roll, and Kamogawa just let him try to do it on his own, I think it did Ippo way more damage to himself somehow than anything else.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
God i forgot one of the biggest drawbacks to his new dempsey roll was it tore the gently caress out of his knee ligaments.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

I believe it's also true that moving your head closer can reduce the power of a punch, because the fist connects too early into the motion (before the arm is extended enough to maximize power)?
Spoken as someone with max half a year of martial arts experience:

This is mostly only true in anime fantasyland. There is a little bit of truth to it, but for the most part, in a strong punch like an uppercut, the punch is delivered softly with high velocity, and muscles fully engage and apply force on contact. All shortening the distance by moving toward the punch will do is guarantee a hit. For big swings like jabs or wide hooks, moving toward the punch has little effect on punch velocity, but does increase your own velocity toward the punch, likely resulting in higher impact force. You could approach and stop before the hit, but that would need to be a big movement, and then if you can read your opponent that far ahead you are much better off picking any of your multiple other much better, less riskier, and less stamina-consuming defensive options.

It can be a form of defense though, for example when sparring with mitts, you want to move your mits forward just before the fist hits to counteract the force and reduce stress on your arms. But that’s with mitts - mitts don’t get organ damage. When kicks are involved, it is theoretically possible to tense your abs and move towards a stomach kick, resulting in less impact spreading across the body, and helping you keep your feet on the ground. But done improperly in a match all this will do is, also, just guarantee a hit and increase the damage.

Basically a boxer who makes a habit of headbutting the fist is on the highway towards early retirement.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Oct 15, 2023

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
I've probably mentioned it before (EDIT I absolutely have), but I've always been annoyed with Kamogawa when it came to the Date fight where he just kept hammering in the point that a champion is some sort of otherworldly opponent with much heavier punches than any challenger could ever muster: Ippo absolutely could've won if he was just in a better mental state and didn't view Date as some sort of unstoppable magical being that he wasn't worthy to fight. Hell, it wasn't even Kamogawa: Takamura kept putting Ippo down as well constantly. For god's sake, it's one thing to be cautious and humble, but aren't you supposed to be on your fighter's side as a hype man, in a way? I can't find it right now, but I remember watching one of those 'coach reacts to Ippo' vids and even he was calling out how negative Ippo's coaches were being when they should be supporting him to stay positive.

EDIT Sure enough, just check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb8M3Wt8cOk at around 4:40

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

It’s also kind of dumb because weight classes. This man, who weighs 73,4kg and is tall, punches so hard, that you, man who weighs 73,4kg and is shorter thus likely having more muscle mass to compensate, could not possibly match it.