Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

rebound/long covid is terrible. it reminds me of mono but no fever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001
fyi, my costco says they have "a little" novavax. first come first served, no appointments.

Steve Yun posted:

if I’ve been storing tests in the fridge way past expiration, do I know if they’re still working if I get a decent C line when testing?

It's a good sign if the control line is not fading. I don't think anyone can give you 100% reassurance they are ok well past expiration though.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Under 5 booster is approved for mix and match, right? That was my understanding but before I go argue with a nurse about it I wanted to make sure. We weren't able to get my toddler the first booster because she got Moderna for her initial shots and nobody has Moderna anymore and that's still the case so we've gotta get her Pfizer'd and the pediatrician's website still says no mix and match.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

https://covid19.who.int/region/amro/country/us

This says 1.127m deaths which was essentially where the trackers were a year and a half ago

Check this out: the reported death rate dropped pretty low back at the start of April 2022 and has stayed at approximately the same level since then

https://ourworldindata.org/explorer...ositivity=false

.... and the cumulative death count also made a sudden decrease at the exact same point but kept slooooowly creeping up and adding around ~12,000 deaths per month until May 2023 where it mysteriously stopped and has been sitting on 1.13 million for nearly six months

https://ourworldindata.org/explorer...ositivity=false

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the person responsible for compiling those stats died of covid

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

the person responsible for compiling those stats died of covid

you joke but I’m close to people working in provincial and national vital stats in Canada and the you-do-you era of public health policy is not producing great outcomes there.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
the future of poop water

https://twitter.com/michael_hoerger/status/1711971056876138903?s=46

https://twitter.com/michael_hoerger/status/1711971062626365648?s=46

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
best reason to not get Covid

quote:

Since I had Covid all I can drink is IPAs, they have a nice bitterness but everything else is just bland.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

My favorite ones are the ones that mention what year it is. Like bad things just expire bro. Bro, that was what we did in 2021.

I like those too. No one has critical thinking skills. They just repeat poo poo they heard someone else say. The whole country has AM sports radio frequent caller mindset.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Arlington was 2-3 months pre-pandemic to get back to you to schedule internment. They just told me it is 15-16 months now. "Whoa, uhhh what's going on?" "It got bad since covid".

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
finally got my slutjuice

my CVS had a dedicated vaccinator which was nice

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

got my slut juice at walgreens on Monday. Took over an hour to move through the combined line of people getting vaccines and getting prescriptions. Guy who administered the vax wasn't wearing a mask.

Did see something I hadn't seen in months on one of the customers: cloth mask over a surgical

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
The best thing about Verily is that for my county it has a single data point. From Aug 19 2022.

This has been your

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Study: Wearing surgical masks over N95s can cause dangerous leaks

For optimal protection against respiratory pathogens such as SARS-CoV-2, procedure masks shouldn't be worn over N95 filtering facepiece respirators (FFRs), according to a study published today [20 December 2022] in Infection Control & Hospital Epidemiology.

The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, does not recommend wearing a mask over a respirator. In a June 2020 agency blog post, NIOSH researchers said, "Wearing a surgical mask or cloth covering over an FFR, such as an N95, is not approved or recommended by NIOSH because it is not consistent with the conditions of the approval, therefore voiding the certification."

But they add, "However, this is a strategy that can be used in a crisis situation" to prolong FFR use when they are in short supply.

Increased pressures can cause leakage

Researchers from Mayo Clinic in Phoenix and the University of Tulsa noted that the need to conserve/reuse N95 FFRs early in the COVID-19 pandemic led public health agencies and associations to say that cloths or procedure/surgical masks can be worn over N95s to prevent or reduce FFR microbial contamination.

"Although this idea is intuitively appealing, we found no published evidence demonstrating this presumed benefit," they wrote.

The team studied N95 respiratory performance in 100 healthcare workers who had successfully completed Accufit Pro 9000 quantitative fit-testing with Mayo Clinic occupational health staff wearing a 3M 1870+ Aura FFR. But when they added a Halyard 47117 procedure mask over the same N95, 13% failed fit-testing.

"The additional resistance created by an overlying face mask can lead to increased airway pressures that cause leakage at the N95 FFR facial seal," the authors wrote.

An avoidable risk

Disposable N95 FFRs are designed, regulated, and marketed for single use and carry the warning, "Fit testing must be performed while the test subject is wearing any applicable safety equipment that may be worn during actual respirator use which could interfere with respirator fit."

That statement, the researchers said, indicates than an N95 fit-testing result is valid only for the conditions at testing. "Thus, adding an overlying face mask later invalidates test results obtained when the overlying face mask was not in place," they wrote.

The team cautioned that their results may not apply to other combinations of N95s and face masks but said that generic guidance on the use of N95s should consider the possible risk of failure when they are worn beneath a procedure mask.

"Because N95 FFRs are often worn in high-burden environments (eg, during aerosolizing procedures), N95 FFR failure may result in significant health consequences," they concluded. "Given both community and healthcare use of N95 FFRs, it is imperative that this avoidable risk be recognized and understood."

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Study: Wearing surgical masks over N95s can cause dangerous leaks

For optimal protection against respiratory pathogens such as SARS-CoV-2, procedure masks shouldn't be worn over N95 filtering facepiece respirators (FFRs), according to a study published today [20 December 2022] in Infection Control & Hospital Epidemiology.

The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, does not recommend wearing a mask over a respirator. In a June 2020 agency blog post, NIOSH researchers said, "Wearing a surgical mask or cloth covering over an FFR, such as an N95, is not approved or recommended by NIOSH because it is not consistent with the conditions of the approval, therefore voiding the certification."

But they add, "However, this is a strategy that can be used in a crisis situation" to prolong FFR use when they are in short supply.

Increased pressures can cause leakage

Researchers from Mayo Clinic in Phoenix and the University of Tulsa noted that the need to conserve/reuse N95 FFRs early in the COVID-19 pandemic led public health agencies and associations to say that cloths or procedure/surgical masks can be worn over N95s to prevent or reduce FFR microbial contamination.

"Although this idea is intuitively appealing, we found no published evidence demonstrating this presumed benefit," they wrote.

The team studied N95 respiratory performance in 100 healthcare workers who had successfully completed Accufit Pro 9000 quantitative fit-testing with Mayo Clinic occupational health staff wearing a 3M 1870+ Aura FFR. But when they added a Halyard 47117 procedure mask over the same N95, 13% failed fit-testing.

"The additional resistance created by an overlying face mask can lead to increased airway pressures that cause leakage at the N95 FFR facial seal," the authors wrote.

An avoidable risk

Disposable N95 FFRs are designed, regulated, and marketed for single use and carry the warning, "Fit testing must be performed while the test subject is wearing any applicable safety equipment that may be worn during actual respirator use which could interfere with respirator fit."

That statement, the researchers said, indicates than an N95 fit-testing result is valid only for the conditions at testing. "Thus, adding an overlying face mask later invalidates test results obtained when the overlying face mask was not in place," they wrote.

The team cautioned that their results may not apply to other combinations of N95s and face masks but said that generic guidance on the use of N95s should consider the possible risk of failure when they are worn beneath a procedure mask.

"Because N95 FFRs are often worn in high-burden environments (eg, during aerosolizing procedures), N95 FFR failure may result in significant health consequences," they concluded. "Given both community and healthcare use of N95 FFRs, it is imperative that this avoidable risk be recognized and understood."

the n95 duckmask I wear is also technically a surgical mask and I will be so pleased if I can ever make use of that technicality

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I would simply wear a mask :shrug:

https://www.cnbc.com/select/best-covid-19-travel-insurance/ posted:

The best Covid-19 travel insurance companies to protect yourself against the uptick in cases
(..)

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
lol they bumped it back another month

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Keeping in mind that this is a somewhat controversial pay-to-publish publisher (was on the predatory list around 2015 iirc), take this with a grain of salt (it also looks like some auto-translation errors might be present, so I guess it wasn't originally in English):
"Can Patients with Asymptomatic/Mild Illness and Moderate Illness COVID-19 Have White Matter Damage?"

quote:

Background and Purpose: Studies have shown that severe coronavirus pandemic 2019 infection could lead to white matter hyperintensities, but the relationship between asymptomatic/mild illness and moderate illness coronavirus pandemic 2019 and white matter hyperintensities remains largely unknown. This study aimed to investigate the relationship between asymptomatic/mild illness and moderate illness coronavirus pandemic 2019 and the risk of white matter hyperintensities.

Methods: Hospitalized patients who were confirmed to have coronavirus pandemic 2019 for the first time were enrolled. Fazekas scores were used for assessment of the severity of white matter hyperintensities. We also rated the 90-day functional outcome after discharge.

Results: Of the 157 enrolled patients, 124 (78.98%) coronavirus pandemic 2019 patients were classified as having asymptomatic or mild illness, and 33 (21.02%) were classified as having moderate illness. The results showed that the Fazekas scale scores at baseline (periventricular white matter hyperintensities, 1.31± 1.16 vs 2.06± 1.20; Deep white matter hyperintensities, 1.04± 0.97 vs 1.73± 1.13 P < 0.01) and at follow-up (periventricular white matter hyperintensities, 1.38± 1.21 vs 2.09± 1.21; Deep white matter hyperintensities, 1.13± 1.04 vs 1.79± 1.14 P < 0.01) were lower in patients with symptomatic or mild illness than in those with moderate illness. Moreover, no significant difference (7.26% vs 3.03%; P =0.377) was observed between the two divided groups in terms of white matter hyperintensities progression.

Conclusion: Our findings suggest that moderate COVID-19 is related to severe white matter hyperintensities compared with asymptomatic/mild illness but not to the progression of white matter hyperintensities.

As to what white matter hyperintensities are:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31682983/ posted:

(..)
White matter hyperintensities (WMHs) are brain white matter lesions that are hyperintense on fluid attenuated inversion recovery (FLAIR) magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans. Larger WMH volumes have been associated with Alzheimer's disease (AD) and with cognitive decline.
(..)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
a bunch of costcos got their novavax in

https://twitter.com/joaquinlife/status/1712191966312816997?s=46

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Steve Yun posted:

a bunch of costcos got their novavax in

Do you have to be a Costco member? Assuming yes.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've seen posts indicating no, you're supposed to be able to use the pharmacy and get shots even as a non-member.

I would call my costco and ask if it's the updated formulation but I would honestly expect confused silence from the other end of the line. I'll probably just book some shots and get 'em, they'll be good anyway.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

brap posted:

I've seen posts indicating no, you're supposed to be able to use the pharmacy and get shots even as a non-member.

This is also true for purchasing booze, at least in CA :rubshands:

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Mola Yam posted:

Something came up

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

well i'll be. appt. scheduled for monday. wonder if it'll actually happen!

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Baddog posted:

fyi, my costco says they have "a little" novavax. first come first served, no appointments.

Yep, they did still have it, and it was the right stuff.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Mola Yam posted:

supply chain issues

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Thanks! Got mine scheduled for Saturday. Not a member. Costco page says pharmacy access is fine for non members. I guess we shall see.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Scheduled my costco boosty appointment for Tuesday, can't wait to have my 5g moth dna activated

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
multiple people around here are complaining about an extremely long-lived virus they can't shake, which is not COVID on RATs or PCR. I seem to be one of them, since I am complaining and also ~101F again. I said gently caress it and had a little brandy because I'm clearly falling apart inside anyway.

Yesterday I took some edibles and before I passed out I had a waking fever vision that all of this is happening to me because I had the audacity to smoke DMT with an impure mind at some point in the past, and something saw me through the void and decided to wipe me out slowly via endogenous DMT-mediated transcripted alterations to my DNA which weaken my immune system, literally cosmic monsters reaching through time to kill me

When I was a lot more coherent again, I decided that while that's almost certainly not true in some ways it's less horrifying than either the ongoing carpet bombing of the public health system that COVID unleashed, or whatever the hell has actually got me feverish for, now, I think, 18 of the last 25 days. If that doesn't square with whatever numbers I posted a few days ago, okay, my brain is hosed.

I do have to start working again tomorrow, though, I have kicked the can on that as much as I can, and if I can make brokebrained cspam posts I can probably write brokebrained work poo poo that my coworkers can roll their eyes and and then make less lovely and pat me on the head (figuratively ofc)

once I'm not feverish, which, I really believe WILL happen, is there any reason to wait any longer than that to go get a COVID shot? I've been sick a long time here and I don't exactly love the idea of deliberately making myself feel like poo poo again, but, statistically I know I'd be idiotic not to, especially since I have every reason to believe that despite getting kicked in the t-cells 3 times in a row here, I do not believe I've had COVID since 2020 (if ever).

Also even if it's okay to get a shot while sick with something other than covid (??? probably not ???) I am not willing to do that, I am determined to rest my way through this as healthfully as possible. Well, okay, minus some edibles and a shot of brandy.

The Oldest Man posted:

Scheduled my costco boosty appointment for Tuesday, can't wait to have my 5g moth dna activated

Vermont has so many moths already and such lovely internet -- get this -- not only do we not get the moth parts, our booster only upgrades a small percentage of our remaining 3g networks to LTE. Just nonsense, thanks a lot Biden.

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 00:22 on Oct 12, 2023

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
if it's not Covid get that boostyjoos immediately imo

also if you have a doctor... maybe call them. having a fever so long is a really bad thing and you're gonna be in rough shape regardless of its etiology

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Grabbed appointments, thanks. Moth me!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
inspector clouseau voice

oh no, uh, allow me to moth you, sir

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

shazbot posted:

best reason to not get Covid

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Washington State's Respiratory Illness Dashboard.

Weekly update on recent emergency room (ER) visits, new hospitalizations, total inpatients, deaths, and confirmed positives highlighting changes due to backfill. These are cobbled together from reports published by Washington's Healthcare, Emergency, and Logistics Tracking Hub (WA HEALTH), Washington Disease Reporting System (WDRS), Washington Health and Life Event System (WHALES) which can all be downloaded from the dashboard linked above. Additional information was gathered from CDC's Weekly Trends and HHS' Hospital Capacity by State and Hospital Capacity by Facility reports. All of these reports use the standardized Sunday-Saturday week definition.

Emergency visits with confirmed COVID-19 in Washington state facilities applying the state's weekly ratio of Emergency Visits due to COVID-19 and HHS' total ED visits due to all causes. The HHS report holding ED visits updates the Monday after the state's Wednesday report, so the most recent week shown is an estimate based on the average of the past three weeks of HHS' total visits combined with the state's most recently published ratio of ED visits attributed to COVID for that week.

Last week I mentioned strangeness with the Emergency Visits ratios reported by the state appearing to near double across all reporting years. Today's update from the state reduced many of those, and removed in its entirity, the 2020-2021 season begining each October. That means the numbers now only start with October of 2021.
In essence it appears that it was reduced some but not completely back to what it was two weeks ago. I have no idea why these changes happened, if it was a mistake, or if it has anything to do with hospital coding.

pre:
ED Visits      Changes in Recent Counts:			7-Day
week of:    4wk ago  3wk ago  2wk ago  1wk ago  This week	Total:
Oct 01            -        -        -        -    + 1,190       1,190
Sep 24            -        -        -    2,358    - 1,004       1,354
Sep 17            -        -    1,361    1,352    - 1,201       1,512
Sep 10            -    1,420      199    1,272    - 1,250       1,641
Sep 03        1,362       66        -    1,164    - 1,027       1,565
All Older    25,325      532        -   25,460   - 20,180          

New hospital admissions in Washington state facilities with laboratory confirmed COVID-19 as reported by the state and HHS. The HHS report updates the Friday after the state's Wednesday update, so the most recent week shown is a placeholder averaged from the past three weeks of published data. The second most recent week of data shown is the actual count as reported last Friday.

pre:
Hosp. Admissions      Changes in Recent Counts:			7-Day
Oct 01            -        -        -        -      + 362         362
Sep 24            -        -        -      341        + 9         350
Sep 17            -        -      326       10       + 20         356
Sep 10            -      302       60        -       + 17         379
Sep 03            -      324        -        -        + 5         329
All Older     8,984      229        -       65          -          
Total occupied inpatient beds used in Washington state facilities flagged with diagnostic codes for COVID-19 (U07.1) and pneumonia due to COVID-19 (J12.82). Numbers are a reflection of 'healthcare encounters' and not representative of individuals nor of residence.

pre:
Beds in Use      Changes in Recent Counts:			7-Day
Oct 01            -        -        -        -    + 2,380       2,380
Sep 24            -        -        -    2,429       + 21       2,450
Sep 17            -        -    2,450        -       + 21       2,471
Sep 10            -    2,268        -        -       + 14       2,282
Sep 03        2,401      -15       15        -       - 14       2,387
All Older    70,833       22      -22        -      - 441          
Recent deaths certified/coded as or referencing to COVID-19 in WHALES with a corresponding positive lab (including postmortem testing) as reported in WDRS. Most recent week of info pulled from CDC's Weekly Trends which appears two Fridays before the state's Wednesday report. This will make it look like the state is behind on reporting these, however they only report up to the week they feel the data is complete, which will be the second most recent week in the graph below.

pre:
Deaths    Changes in Recent Counts:				7-Day
Oct 01            -        -        -        -          -           -
Sep 24            -        -        -        -       + 31          31
Sep 17            -        -        -       28        + 1          29
Sep 10            -        -       10       19        + 1          30
Sep 03            -       11       19        4          -          34
All Older     1,016       21        -        4        + 1          
And now for the least useful metric...

Positive clinical cases (tests administered at CLIA certified or CLIA waived labs) as reported by healthcare facility. Positive home tests reported to the state were retroactively removed from the official counts earlier this year.

pre:
Cases      Changes in state counts reported:			7-Day
Oct 01            -        -        -        -    + 2,918       2,918
Sep 24            -        -        -    3,712      + 152       3,864
Sep 17            -        -    3,932      252       + 37       4,221
Sep 10            -    4,059      254       50       + 26       4,389
Sep 03        3,663      186       49        4        + 1       3,903
All Older    98,356       57       20       12        + 2          

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

if it's not Covid get that boostyjoos immediately imo

also if you have a doctor... maybe call them. having a fever so long is a really bad thing and you're gonna be in rough shape regardless of its etiology

I've been seen two or three times lately, mostly recently yesterday :shrug:

Lyme negative, blood count on the high end of normal. Symptoms similar to rest of family, just more protracted.

Cosmic monsters reaching through time to kill me.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
I’ve been trying to figure out what’s wrong with me since March of last year. every test result is just a big f u, nothings wrong. is it Covid related? idk. maybe I’m just making it up like my dr thinks

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
This reports deaths daily but is only as good as the reporting

https://medriva.com/charts/country.php?co=US

Deaths 2020 2021 2022 2023
Total 353,777 491,701 271,172 59,391 1,176,041

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
haha yeah people just stopped dying in spite of doing nothing at all about Covid

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Do you have to be a Costco member? Assuming yes.

depends on the state... in california anyone can use the pharmacy for example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

That’s a prohibition era federal law, actually. Private drug clubs are not allowed :nono: