Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
They really should have slow burned the woods plotline until the end of season 1. Make it a full blown college drama with powers, then ramp up the seedy underbelly. This all feels kinda rushed, like they don't expect a season 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Shageletic posted:

In the comics and I think implicitly in the shows a certain type of toughness and strength is baked into every superhero.

I guess I have a strong sense of us all being “WTF” after that first season episode where Starlight shrugged off a .50 cal.

Anyway, show good. Characters likable.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

bobjr posted:

Andre did talk about how he wanted to be his dad power wise when he was a kid, so it might depend on how much you can influence what compound V does to you. It seems like it’s relatively easy to if you’re aware, but most kids aren’t.

I'm sure the lore is still that it's arbitrary, but people's powers feel motivated or ironic way too often for that to fit. It seems pretty fair to assume people influence it, subconsciously or not. Butcher devoted himself to hatred of Homelander for years, so it tracks that his temp-V powerset is identical to Homelander. Huey is passive and avoidant and anxious, and his powers are teleportation. Jordan is such an explicit queer metaphor, you might as well assume the V manifested as gender-shifting to accommodate a psychology they'd have either way. Like, boring non-Supe Jordan would still be genderfluid at normal-person university.

KilGrey posted:

When she’s having lunch with her mom earlier she makes a comment that she’s “in balance”. I’m sure she knows exactly what and how to eat to be a particular size. Not just through necessity but her mom forcing her to keep strict food journals. That must be tiring. She probably has to be exactly even with her calories in and calories out to stay in her “normal” size.

Emma is a great character, because yeah that hits hard on every self-hating body dysmorphic show-mom story you've ever heard, but with superpowers. "Feeling exhausted to keep precise control over my calorie intake" is also a real-world experience for a child actor type, right? The consequences are just louder here. Emma's power being control over her size, and society demanding a young woman only use that in one direction is pretty apt.

And it's ridiculous, because she'd actually have a really useful crime-fighting power: getting gigantic and crushing poo poo. She's marketed as "Cricket" because it's cute and innocuous, but a male Supe with similar powers would be, like, "Titan" or "Atlas" or something.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
The writers will let Emma feel emboldened and confident about everybody telling her embiggening is an awesome power for about 3 minutes before for a creepy dude begs her to step on him or something. Ironic and accurate.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Space Friend posted:

So I'm the better part of a decade + one pandemic time soup apart from my early transition days, but o man oh geez did every interaction Jordan had with their parents ping some old memories. The scramble to hide any trace of girl clothes or makeup when the parents are banging at the door, feeling required to present male to mollify your parents, the "I'm still the same person / the son you wanted never existed" speech. When Jordan's dad quotes someone calling them an "outstanding young man (sic)", masc Jordan gives this wince that I recognized immediately. I lived that wince for every family event over a two year time frame.

I was curious how they were going to dive into Jordan's personality when they repeatedly called them bi-gender in the first two episodes. They obviously ratchet up other people's confusion about them, but as you said, Jordan has a firm grip on who they are.

To me, it's a blunt, inelegant beat-for-beat trans girl story, but I mean it's The Boys / Gen V so it's kind of not sticking out for being as subtle as an air raid siren. They might go deeper with their self identity, they might not. Either way, I really like the character.

Oh yeah, like, I'm trans too, and my read is pretty much the same, that Jordan is solidly in the camp that they hit the lottery. The only problem is that they feel the expectation to present masculine still so despite being bigender, there's some pain to it, clearly. It's like when you're transitioning and you reject anything from the gender you were assigned at birth, but later you caaaaaarefully start to approach it again because you're more confident in your identity, your image, and your sense of self.

So I wouldn't be surprised if like, ten years down the line, Jordan presents masc a bit more, even if they still favor femme.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Xealot posted:

Emma is a great character, because yeah that hits hard on every self-hating body dysmorphic show-mom story you've ever heard, but with superpowers. "Feeling exhausted to keep precise control over my calorie intake" is also a real-world experience for a child actor type, right? The consequences are just louder here. Emma's power being control over her size, and society demanding a young woman only use that in one direction is pretty apt.

And it's ridiculous, because she'd actually have a really useful crime-fighting power: getting gigantic and crushing poo poo. She's marketed as "Cricket" because it's cute and innocuous, but a male Supe with similar powers would be, like, "Titan" or "Atlas" or something.

You are spot on. Continuing the discussion about powers fitting the people she was probably bulimic or trending that way before her powers manifested. With a mother like hers, she was probably always on Emma to look perfect for the camera. The food journals probably came before her powers even manifested.

Also, for all you trans goons watching and feeling Jordan’s journey, I’m proud of you for fighting to be who you are. ❤️

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Xealot posted:

gently caress fighting crime. She could help more people make a poo poo load of money by eating an elephant and digging canals or doing massive construction project poo poo. A hydraulic mining shovel costs like $10mil plus running and maintenance costs and she could probably do that with a few hundred bucks worth of McDonald's drive through.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Outrail posted:

gently caress fighting crime. She could help more people make a poo poo load of money by eating an elephant and digging canals or doing massive construction project poo poo. A hydraulic mining shovel costs like $10mil plus running and maintenance costs and she could probably do that with a few hundred bucks worth of McDonald's drive through.

Does burning calories make her smaller? Because she would need a constant flow of junk to stay big, I am assuming it takes more calories to move around as large Emma then small Emma.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Still tho, the utility of being a super strong giant with giant hands would be enormous

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

everydayfalls posted:

Does burning calories make her smaller? Because she would need a constant flow of junk to stay big, I am assuming it takes more calories to move around as large Emma then small Emma.

Does Vought have a GNC analogue? Emma would be a great spokesperson for protein whey. She could carry individually wrapped Vought energy bars on a utility belt. If burning calories does make her smaller, she could jog on Vought brand tread mills and visibly shrink. All that money left on the table because of her mom is a horrible person.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
If eating embiggens her, does that mean she's purging daily just to maintain 'normal' size?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I assume that just burning calories regulates her size. So she eats a normal amount of food to maintain her size, and she can eat more to get bigger, or eat less to get smaller. Purging just allows her to get small really fast.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Drops too big of a turd and shrinks and falls into the toilet

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Depending on very variable factors, like age, gender, and genetics, the human body burns like 1500-2000 calories per day just existing and being capable of basic locomotion.

Being as young as she is, along with the V, Emma's probably burning many times that.

They've made the point in other comic universes that speedsters have to eat something insane like 30,000+ calories per day - on average.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They've made the point in other comic universes that speedsters have to eat something insane like 30,000+ calories per day - on average.

"What're you drinking?"
"Uh... Shake Shack."

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

moist turtleneck posted:

Drops too big of a turd and shrinks and falls into the toilet

The community has already nixed OnlyFans pitches.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

BlackIronHeart posted:

"What're you drinking?"
"Uh... Shake Shack."

It does beg the question - does The Flash have a special dedicated toilet at the Hall of Justice/Watchtower? I'd imagine it's over with quickly, yet violently.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I had avoided Gen V because the first I heard about it sounded like it was missing the point of The Boys entirely to do "hot young people with super powers", and I feel dumb for not getting that of course they'd present that surface level idea to make how incredibly hosed up everything is hit harder. Been loving the show so far, and I even dig how little class/homework they actually do because of course Godolkin University (God U, this is not a subtle show :allears:) would really not give much of a gently caress about anything but classes about how to best present image.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I'm trying to think of a network or streaming service that would broadcast something like The Boys universe but presenting Vought's activities as good and right and I can't think of one. ... Rumble, I guess?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Outrail posted:

Superpowers only ever being used to beat the poo poo out of the poor, desperate or the mentally unwell has always been the least interesting part of the concept of supes to me.

I love the idea of people with powers just living their best lives. Either using their abilities in really cool ways, or simply by choosing not to be defined by them.

But good loving luck in finding a work that doesn't quickly devolve into "big secret plot" or "archnemesis who needs to be stopped" or some other "save the world" bullshit.

Well, I suppose, The Boys universe also uses them for TV shows and movies.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

BlackIronHeart posted:

I'm trying to think of a network or streaming service that would broadcast something like The Boys universe but presenting Vought's activities as good and right and I can't think of one. ... Rumble, I guess?

Fox.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

a seagull posted:

Vought's reaction to Ryan's existence indicates to me that kids like Andre and Maverick were dosed, since Ryan is younger than them but is the only one they tried to raise in a special compound and bury in secrecy.

I think that has more to do with how powerful Homelander is. They wanted control over his son and the only way to do that was to keep him hidden.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Little easter egg, Marie was shown briefly on a computer screen in S03E02 of The Boys, when Hughie went to the Red River Institute.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Superpowers only ever being used to beat the poo poo out of the poor, desperate or the mentally unwell has always been the least interesting part of the concept of supes to me.

There was a recent Batman book that revealed that the wealthy elite in Gotham knew Bruce Wayne was Batman all along and invested heavily in Gotham's seedier areas because Batman always blasted the gently caress out of them during his crusades against evil, and they also made sure if he ever grew a conscience that they'd frame it as Batman destroying poor people's homes because Wayne Enterprises commonly got the most rebuilding contracts.

But yeah, this is primarily why Ennis wrote the book in the first place. He hates the entire concept of superhumans. There's a non-Max storyline where he teams up Frank Castle with Wolverine and blasts him in the face and junk with a 12-gauge, then runs him over with a steamroller. And in a sequel to that storyline, he hits him with an anti-tank rocket that disintegrates everything from his collarbone down, leaving him to regenerate in a bathtub.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Boots Riley’s I’m A Virgo on Amazon Prime is explicitly about this very subject and it’s really good. I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread, but it’s worth repeating

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There was a recent Batman book…

Do you have more info on this book? Sounds like a riot

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

eighty-four merc posted:

Do you have more info on this book? Sounds like a riot

It's Batman: White Knight.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's Batman: White Knight.

Batman's activities on reddit would be an interesting if not dry addition to the lore.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Xealot posted:

This isn't even speculation. In the Marvel Ultimate Universe Hank Pym mainly uses Pym particles to increase his size while Janet van Dyne (AKA the Wasp) always uses them to become small.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I'm glad they didn't drag out what it is they are trying to do in the woods: make a virus to control the supesAnd also not dragging out who mind wiped them.

Holy gently caress Sam. :stonklol:

Kate is terrifying.And looks like Marie has some interesting potential for her powers. Honestly, all of the main cast are pretty loving powerful.

I can't believe this ep was only 35 mins long.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I stan Big Party Emma

also drat what is Soldier Boy doing next episode? Someone's gonna get hosed up

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

I would think you wouldn't be back to normal life so soon after a dick explosion, but I'm not a medical expert.

Cate seems to be at life-threatening levels of using her power to keep things quiet and it's not working any more.

Preview stuff:

also yeah wtf how in the world does Soldier Boy get involved? Some kinda dream or flashback?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

a seagull posted:

I would think you wouldn't be back to normal life so soon after a dick explosion, but I'm not a medical expert.

Yeah. Maybe there's a healing supe that fixed it?

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
I feel like the school comes off looking super incompetent after this episode? Dean Shetty seemed pretty confident everything w/ the mystery gang figuring poo poo out was handled but they pretty quickly and repeatedly figured it out again

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
With regards to dick explosion, it seems supes
all come with some degree of strength, toughness, and healing factor. Some more, some a lot more, and some less.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I was weirdly frustrated by that one. They did advance a lot of plot, but it had all the feeling of wheel-spinning anyway because so much of it was the characters trying to catch up to what has already been revealed to the audience.

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

Lol... how is Rufus perfectly okay after that incident last episode?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Maybe a small dose of Compound V administered by the school's medical staff? It healed A-Train's absolutely shattered femur in what seemed a day or two.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

That's just being in your early 20s, you basically recover from anything with a power nap. Blessed times...

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Why do they keep sending groups of mooks with assault rifles after Sam (or any other supe) when they know with great accuracy what they're capable of?
Also, did they forget about the "frequency that can only be heard by Supes" thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

kiminewt posted:

Why do they keep sending groups of mooks with assault rifles after Sam (or any other supe) when they know with great accuracy what they're capable of?
Also, did they forget about the "frequency that can only be heard by Supes" thing?

It was broken in the stairwell scuffle and they forget to make a spare.