Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That was a terrible post of mine wow. Just bouncing around from subjects without a care in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

SCheeseman posted:

It wasn't lost, it was in the hands of Matt Saettler the whole time. He threw hints at reverse engineering devs on IRC now and again.

So he had the source code and never released it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7oscFP-IbM

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
yeah I'm only two levels into Aftershock and it rules, it's way cooler than the sewer festival that formed the main campaign.

LvK fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 12, 2023

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Angry_Ed posted:

See you say that but Rare Replay is still confined to the Xbox

Yeah I'm still mystified about that one

TOOT BOOT posted:

I wish Nightdive would do a Doom/II remaster but I'm guessing the Unity port is probably considered 'good enough' by Bethesda. :(

Give it a couple more years and they'll want another version for the next big anniversary, hopefully this time they'll do it as a singular package instead of needlessly splitting them up

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the doom/2 remaster is just gzdoom with voxel doom 2

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah I'm still mystified about that one

I did some searching and apparently it's because some of the games rely on the Xbox's backwards compatibility and thus not something they can just easily port to PC.

I still would like it though.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

site posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M_BHcSVTRw

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Volte posted:

It is good enough. :colbert:

That would be quite an engineering challenge considering the Split Pad Pro don't have gyroscopes in them
The Switch tablet itself does though, so theoretically it should be possible to do that. Dunno anything about Unity console dev though, so not sure how feasible that is with whatever they're using for gamepad input.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Doctor Bishop posted:

Funny thing about Blood is that since the source code was lost, every "port" is in fact a reconstruction, either reverse-engineering the game based on its differences from Duke 3D's source code (NBlood, Raze, BloodGDX) or remaking it in another engine entirely (Fresh Supply).

Kex doesn't work that way (not sure why we keep needing to tell people this), Fresh Supply was a disassembly of its own engine.

Volte posted:

That would be quite an engineering challenge considering the Split Pad Pro don't have gyroscopes in them

I see you haven't played any of our ports on Switch. ;)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

site posted:

Basically, the hundred of mods (and levels and TCs done for GZDoom) makes it the definitive remaster.
Although, the definitive remaster would be if GZDoom dev would wake up and make more aggressive changes to the engine, like Helion, which have a 10x performance.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Angry_Ed posted:

I did some searching and apparently it's because some of the games rely on the Xbox's backwards compatibility and thus not something they can just easily port to PC.

I still would like it though.

Doesn't explain why it's never been available for cloud streaming

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Basically, the hundred of mods (and levels and TCs done for GZDoom) makes it the definitive remaster.
Although, the definitive remaster would be if GZDoom dev would wake up and make more aggressive changes to the engine, like Helion, which have a 10x performance.

Worth noting that Helion's changes basically break the way Doom worked in some rather non-compliant ways. It sacrifices the software renderer by dropping the BSP renderer and just drawing large sections of the level in one go on the GPU, then breaks up actor processing by distance to limit the number of sprites drawn.
The main costs of this is transparency is no longer ordered and actor processing is no longer constant so GZdooms compatibility with its own map sets would go down the toilet. I wouldn't even know how you'd approach this for multiplayer and demo compatibility would be a faff (demo playback performance would be directly affected by the host machine that recorded it).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Rocket Pan posted:

It sacrifices the software renderer

Oh noes. What I'm gonna do without software renderer... in the year of the lord 2023.
(same as demos, honestly I have never used them. sorry speedrunners)

quote:

actor processing is no longer constant so GZdooms compatibility with its own map sets would go down the toilet.

This is more important, compatibility with existing maps. Not a lot of point in doing a Doom sourceport if you break compatibility with a good number of wads!
They say
"Supports Vanilla, Boom*, MBF21. dehacked, bex, dehextra" and
"Helion supports decorate/ZDoom specials. However, it is partial and implemented up to a point to support Vanilla, Boom, and MBF21. If a wad includes both dehacked and decorate, the dehacked will be used by default as it's currently more stable."

It isn't supposed to be compatible with GZDoom proper own stuff, no. If some stuff that is supposed to be compatible like Boom doesn't work properly, I guess they will try to fix it as people report it. I understand the idea is for the gameplay to be exactly the same and be 100% compatible with Boom/mbf21, even if the code behind for gameplay logic processing is totally reworked.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

drrockso20 posted:

Give it a couple more years and they'll want another version for the next big anniversary, hopefully this time they'll do it as a singular package instead of needlessly splitting them up

My hope is for an Atari 50 style documentary/celebration release.

I know the development history of the game is well known to us all by now across various column inches, books and interviews, but I still think a curated “museum” tour of Doom would be great. They could celebrate the timeless and endless nature of it by further involving the community and expand on the current “Add Ons” by packing in a much wider variety of the best wads.

Atari 50 is such a unique and brilliant approach to the celebration and preservation of gaming history. Doom deserves the same treatment rather than just more re-releases.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Oh noes. What I'm gonna do without software renderer... in the year of the lord 2023.
(same as demos, honestly I have never used them. sorry speedrunners)

A lot of maps and render behaviors rely on the specific way Doom's software rendering works, as by design the floor and ceiling planes don't clip sprites. Boom maps (and Kdikdizd) notably have a trick where they create transparent floors by lowering transparent/dithered textures walls into the floor. Plus there's the whole business of sprites being designed to clip below the floor to be perspective correct.
Almost all hardware renderers in Doom ports clip the floors and ceilings due to zbuffering, breaking these.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Arivia posted:

Honest question: what is there for Nightdive to do that the Unity port doesn’t do already?

IDSPISPOPD

But for real, the Unity ports are just fine :shrug:

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Rocket Pan posted:

A lot of maps and render behaviors rely on the specific way Doom's software rendering works, as by design the floor and ceiling planes don't clip sprites. Boom maps (and Kdikdizd) notably have a trick where they create transparent floors by lowering transparent/dithered textures walls into the floor. Plus there's the whole business of sprites being designed to clip below the floor to be perspective correct.
Almost all hardware renderers in Doom ports clip the floors and ceilings due to zbuffering, breaking these.

whatever happened to the sw approach gooberman was taking that was, as I recall, insanely fast

is there a reason that couldn’t be merged into gzdoom?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Arivia posted:

Honest question: what is there for Nightdive to do that the Unity port doesn’t do already?

I doubt NightDive would charge by the install

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Tim Thomas posted:

whatever happened to the sw approach gooberman was taking that was, as I recall, insanely fast

Gooberman's approach is its own port now, a Chocolate Doom fork called Rum & Raisin Doom.

GZDoom has like 20 years of features and cruft bolted on to the classic software renderer that mean just copy-pasting Goober's renderer over isn't really possible, but I believe dpJudas reimplemented a few of the concepts shortly after Rum & Raisin's release?

Honestly, a lot of the performance issues in GZDoom is less due to BSP rendering/polygonization (which, granted, is a gross brute-force hack that could do with some extra grace but that requires a lot of boring tedious work that nobody's quite worked themselves up to do yet) and more due to processing all the individual actors, which are now scripted instead of fast native code and have like ten times more stuff they need to check due to all the modding functionality. Only way to really fix that would be to rip modding features out wholesale, and nobody wants that.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

The Kins posted:

The Switch tablet itself does though, so theoretically it should be possible to do that. Dunno anything about Unity console dev though, so not sure how feasible that is with whatever they're using for gamepad input.
Huh, well I stand corrected. Honestly surprised Nintendo even bothered with that since nothing they officially sell makes that useful as far as I know?

Rocket Pan posted:

I see you haven't played any of our ports on Switch. ;)
Oh I definitely have, just not with third party joycons

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Kins posted:

Honestly, a lot of the performance issues in GZDoom is less due to BSP rendering/polygonization (which, granted, is a gross brute-force hack that could do with some extra grace but that requires a lot of boring tedious work that nobody's quite worked themselves up to do yet) and more due to processing all the individual actors, which are now scripted instead of fast native code and have like ten times more stuff they need to check due to all the modding functionality. Only way to really fix that would be to rip modding features out wholesale, and nobody wants that.

Yeah, I feel any decent graphics programmer can do a fast Doom engine with modern hardware, the 'challenge' is to do one that still allow for great modding features and it's properly back compatible with many thousands of wads, done in different styles (vainilla, boom, etc).

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I gotta say Turbo Overkill is losing me a bit. I spent about an hour fighting Ripper, a genuinely good and climactic boss fight where I felt I was getting better with each attempt - and immediately after that I have to fight Maw who from what I've seen so far is the complete opposite of that. The flow of the game just completely halts.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'd love to ask some questions but they'd literally be spoilers lol

But yeah in an attempt to make the game epic they just go on and on.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

anilEhilated posted:

I gotta say Turbo Overkill is losing me a bit. I spent about an hour fighting Ripper, a genuinely good and climactic boss fight where I felt I was getting better with each attempt - and immediately after that I have to fight Maw who from what I've seen so far is the complete opposite of that. The flow of the game just completely halts.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'd love to ask some questions but they'd literally be spoilers lol

But yeah in an attempt to make the game epic they just go on and on.

I will sing Turbo Overkill's praises, but if I had to offer up any criticism that persists weeks after I stopped playing it, it would be the game's length. I've said it before but it's far too long, and a few of the final multi-phase boss fights feel like they'd be right at home in a JRPG.

In retrospect, my only recommendation is to put the game down periodically and come back to it a day or two later when you're feeling refreshed. In my opinion, TO's content is solid, there's just so goddamned much of it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Civvie enjoys a Christmas classic for this festive holiday season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTKVFpkKsNw

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Arivia posted:

If anyone's going to do a black box open-source reimplementation of the entirety of the Boom featureset, it would be Nightdive.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

This is from three years ago but I happened upon it today, the start of Half-Life 2 in the Quake engine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXnnHDDoiN8
Some details on how this mad lad did it in the video description.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

NecroVision is so weird. Last time I tried to play I got pretty constant BSODs and never figured out if it was the game or my hardware at the time, I should give it another shot even tho it's not great.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Didn't it have one of those nasty "this game will run at infinite FPS if you don't cap it and cook your hardware" problems or am I thinking of something else.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

Didn't it have one of those nasty "this game will run at infinite FPS if you don't cap it and cook your hardware" problems or am I thinking of something else.

I definately had temp issues with that game and had to cap the fps by myself at the time. That and the constant crashing made me quit shortly after starting the 2nd half of the game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I definitely had enough fun with it to beat it, but it doesn't seem to have aged too well - even then it was a janky FPS that got carried by its cheesy promise and constant escalation. It is one hell of a power trip once you get that multiplier going, though.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

Necrovision strikes me as a game that could really do with a remake to take the core concept of "a horde of monsters crawl out of the underworld to make the hell of WWI even worse and you gotta brawl your way thru them" and make it actually work, especially since it seems like they could do much better in today's post-Doom-2016 FPS landscape.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Doctor Bishop posted:

Necrovision strikes me as a game that could really do with a remake to take the core concept of "a horde of monsters crawl out of the underworld to make the hell of WWI even worse and you gotta brawl your way thru them" and make it actually work, especially since it seems like they could do much better in today's post-Doom-2016 FPS landscape.

Heck, pare it down to one monster and take away the brawling and it suddenly sounds like Amnesia: The Bunker.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Tim Thomas posted:

The Kins posted:

Gooberman's approach is its own port now, a Chocolate Doom fork called Rum & Raisin Doom.

Some of it is now in Eternity (I'm unsure if the transposing is in but the striped multithreading is), and he implemented basically the whole approach in Rise of the Triad Ludicrous Edition.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Rocket Pan posted:

Some of it is now in Eternity (I'm unsure if the transposing is in but the striped multithreading is),

Oh I wasn't aware, I have to try it.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Rocket Pan posted:

Some of it is now in Eternity (I'm unsure if the transposing is in but the striped multithreading is), and he implemented basically the whole approach in Rise of the Triad Ludicrous Edition.

nice, I should replay heartland and give it a shot!

Re zscript: is there some sort of pre compilation that can be performed, or is the system so much footgunning that trying to optimize is a fool’s errand

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

This here is one of my biggest problems with the game, I have absolutely no idea what you mean. The levels all just run into one another and don't have nearly the requisite identifying character they should have. It feels like they attempted something like Half Life but whiffed it entire. Like say what you will about on a rail but you know when it starts and also when it's over. Hell I can't remember how long it's been since playing a runthrough (it may even have been this year, I'm pretty sure I did Blue shift), but I could run through huge chunks of the game right now in my head. And for a build engine game, that honestly feels like a mortal sin. Rather the levels be short, sweet and discrete.

I actually really liked Ion Fury but yes, absolutely one of the biggest problems. The Zones/Campaigns do have definite identities but aside from "that one that's the base" and "that one that's doing Half-Life outdoors + caves" I couldn't really tell you which was which or identify specific parts of them. Similarly the weapons definitely work really well in context of play, but without a heavy artillery/rocket option and a screwy voodoo doll/shrink ray/cryo-gun option the arsenal doesn't really groove beyond "that was functional and punchy."

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

The Kins posted:

Which is why Selaco is pretty exciting, they have levels absolutely flooded with actors and yet, the drat thing performs well. They did a lot of much needed engine fuckery for performance reasons. If I say anymore they'll send someone to take me out though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

mind the walrus posted:

Similarly the weapons definitely work really well in context of play, but without a heavy artillery/rocket option and a screwy voodoo doll/shrink ray/cryo-gun option the arsenal doesn't really groove beyond "that was functional and punchy."

I'm glad that Aftershock at least added a sci-fi weapon that basically behaved as a BFG-Plasma-Rifle and proved itself quite useful in deleting basically anything you used it against short of the large mechs, because it was something I felt was sorely lacking in the base game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Oh I wasn't aware, I have to try it.

Tim Thomas posted:

nice, I should replay heartland and give it a shot!

Worth noting, it's not on by default. There is a "Render threads" option in page two of the video options that controls it, best results are to set it to the number of real cores (i.e not hyperthreaded) your CPU has. If you have a modern intel with E and P cores, this value should stick to the number of P cores you have as Eternity doesn't (can't?) use E cores. We haven't figured out a good way to automate the default for this yet.

Tim Thomas posted:

Re zscript: is there some sort of pre compilation that can be performed, or is the system so much footgunning that trying to optimize is a fool’s errand

It is precompiled, I believe even into native x86. The issue is it's still not part of the actual executable so the scripts have to be called into/out of to run and fetch results, which has overheads. Plus zscript won't have 50 years worth of C machine code optimizations. This normally wouldn't be an issue (we use AngelScript for some Kex projects, notably Turok and Blood, and it works a similar way) but they also made zscript run basically the physics as well. It's doing way too much of the work, and that work is still the same as its old workload where it has >128bits worth of flags controlling branched behavior and such.

There is an adage somewhere that you should never write your own language. Zscript is this example.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 13, 2023