Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Rerun week continues. Also in bad news:

JJ posted:

There are a lot of new members in this group, because Gannett Co., Inc. cut a deal with the distributors of newspaper comics to purchase a package of about 30 features which will be used by the approximately 200 newspapers in their chain. Any feature not on the list is pretty much out in the cold, and that includes A&J. I know this is quaint, but if you enjoy A&J and have seen it dropped from your newspaper, complain to the editor! He has no power, really, but perhaps enough complaints will filter upward to Gannett headquarters. And when you are reading A&J in your local newspaper, again, you can still come back here for the fun. It ain't over till it's over!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

petition to host A&J on the SA front page, no one else is using it

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Those motherfuckers trying to take A&J.

I love Val's smirk. poo poo gonna get hosed and he is down for it.

In other news, Foob, those loving triangle mouths fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck I keep seeing that dollfucker Kevin's mouth.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Hong owns but everyone's castles crumbling is going to be soooooooooooooooo good i cannot wait

Huxley posted:

A+J

Rerun week continues. Also in bad news:

gently caress!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I love that in the drama about inhuman trials of will by hard men the most dangerous person is this cunning woman scorned. :allears:

A&J deserves better. Also Arlo gonna need you to be hornier for your wife, buddy!

Kinda relieved Wilbur didn't slug his wife and I can pretend this is a consenting adult roleplay relationship, even knowing the times it was published in. Oh well!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Cool, haven't seen Not Me in a while.

Slylock Fox

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (October 14, 1935)

Peanuts (May 15, 1940)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (October 22-24, 1934, spoiler because of our first case of The Usual Reasons with this strip.)

Thimble Theater (May 15, 1940)

Out Our Way (January 11-13, 1943; spoiler for Ick content)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Noor

This is referencing the norwegian fairy tale the Boy Who Had an Eating Contest With the Troll.
Basically it's a boy sent to a forest to chop some wood. A troll arrives and is like "hey, this my forest, what the gently caress?" The boy then squeezes a cheese and says if the troll tries anything he will gently caress him up as easily as he's squeezing the cheese he's pretending is a rock. The troll falls for this lie and invites the boy to his home to eat some porridge. Realizing how loving stupid the troll is, the boy challenges the troll to an eating contest. After a while the troll is up to his ears in porridge and is ready to admit defeat, not happy with simply winning the contest the boy tricks the troll to slice open his stomach to make room for more porridge. The troll does this, dies and the boy then steals all his poo poo.

Null Stress

TegneHanne

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "314 - Jucika And Safety"

"315 - Jucika Designs A Textile Pattern"

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (September 2-5, 2003)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days
And we wrap up Volume 2 with a 2-page quickie:

This leaves me between Maruoka Kuzo projects, but this took me 7 months to get through so we may not have too long to wait before he releases some collection or other.

We Are Reproducing

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 8/2-4/51

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CIimgUq7ic

Archie 5/26-28/48

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

If it involves Luann, it is definitely not about sex.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Wow! She asked him! Imagine that!

Cough! Sputter!

Feels like modern MW is channeling 80s MW.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

:lol:

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Endless Pregnancy Comics With Guest Vocalist Pussy Hat

Love Gourd

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Murdstone posted:

Cough! Sputter!

She wants to stick it to "the man". Nobody in the MWverse is prepared for anything edgier than politely shuffling your feet in discomfort about "the man". (and even that's pushing it)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (September 8-10, 1924)

Toonerville Folks (November 14-16, 1921)

NOW DAD IS ON THE JOB AGAIN: Jimmy was pretty sore when his Dad decided he was big enough to tend the furnace but it wasn't long before he hit on a scheme to get himself discharged!

Dok's Dippy Flexible Flyer (December 13, 1914)

Little Lefty (April 10-12, 1939)

Shameful, that cop doing a dooty on the front page. Close the stall, at least.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

Murdstone posted:

Cough! Sputter!

The classic random Mary Worth bolding is doing the unnatural first panel dialogue no favors.

Trash Goblin
Dec 19, 2020

Giant Ethicist posted:

Haraiso Days
And we wrap up Volume 2 with a 2-page quickie:

Judging by that second panel, I'm really glad to see that date wasn't a one-off.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
damnit I was really hoping for Mud to finally bury the hatchet so that we could then cut it into a medical emergency after everything seems fine, because the main character is a loving doctor

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

former Marine and cop is aghast that his daughter is helping the disadvantaged

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i wonder if the original idea was for mud to incorporate the method into the cartoon and then someone read the script and went "uh, are you really suggesting mirakle method tv indoctrination?" so it had to be rewritten to take the cartoon out of the picture

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

you broke my grill posted:

former Marine and cop is aghast that his daughter is helping the disadvantaged

"But honey, don't you want to shoot dogs and help secure overseas oil interests?"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Is she literally saying *beep* *beep* to get out of the conversation?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Haifisch posted:

1981 comics

even with the crunchy scan quality, nancy's face in the last panel is fully perfect

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Special from the 81 paper: COMPUTERS

:techno:

The future is now.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
That news about A+J sucks, it is one of the best strips in the thread by FAR.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Tiggum posted:

Did I miss the part where Aristotle explained why he won't marry Heather?

No, she ran off like a moron before hearing whether he was actually interested in her or not. It was supposed to be a cute story of Papagoras being visited by someone he loves; I still can't believe how badly this story went down. :psyduck:

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Prudence, you absolute dumb gently caress. You just stabbed the Director and the Demons in the back with the biggest knife you can find. What makes you think he'll agree to do an interview with you?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

"Sanasto", Lexicon, is the central union and copyright organization for Finnish writers .

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Legend of Bill

wakka wakka
Oct 9, 2004

Murdstone posted:

Cough! Sputter!

God I hope the man she stick it to is Wilbur

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

“Cough! Splutter! You live in loving Taft!?”

“Yes.”

“In Tennessee?”

“No.”

“Oh, then Taft, Texas?”

“No, Dad, I told you! The neighboring city of Taft.”

“Oh! Oh, Taft.

“So anyway, about me: I’m a youth of today and you’d better believe I hate the police! I call them ‘cops’… and worse!”

“Cough! Splutter!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Comic Strips 2023: I seen my dooty and I done it