Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Young Freud posted:

Hopefully he remains absent from the Senate for a few days.

This is from 2016 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Well that sure is a take.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

davecrazy posted:

The brothers running Meidas are unabashed grifters, eager to threaten lawsuits against journalists who report on inconvenient facts, like that Brett is being paid as a consultant by the consultants to the PAC they set up (mimicking the Trump PAC grift of paying 'vendors' to pay Trump family members and campaign officials), or that the PAC's bank account shot up ~$200k between the end of 2020 and January 25th, 2021... unspent money donors foolishly thought was going to be spent to help win the Georgia runoffs, on account of being told it'd be spent to help win the Georgia runoffs.

Their schtick relies heavily on clickbaity social media that often misleads readers, either by stripping out the relevant context or massively overselling the story ("Bombshell new filing in Trump case!")... deputizing the dumbest of the #resist crowd to share and boost the post, either without reading it or lacking the capacity to understand it, all to keep the donation and clout coming in.

In this case, it's both! (video of the remarks)

Trump's comments about Bibi letting him down were specifically and explicitly regarding the Soleimani assassination, but "Old man in obvious decline grumbles about events from 46 months ago, back when he was still relevant" doesn't juice the metrics. So they lie to their followers and this thread gets poo poo up.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The only thing worse than posting a tweet is posting a screenshot of a tweet. Maximal difficulty in identifying the context when you do that.

quote:

Oh my god, log off of Twitter
Are you and your friends getting your news from twitter? You’re hosed in the head. No, seriously, it has hosed you up on levels you cannot recognize. Twitter is brain poison, and the medium is taking every bit as smelly a dump in your brain as every internet-poisoned racist or hot take artist you’ve ever encountered on there. The comedians you follow aren’t more insightful, the journos you follow aren’t giving you inside scoops, and the information you’re getting is virtually never reaching you before everyone else.

The power of twitter to gently caress up brains is not just that it gives you material that you agree with, or makes you angry at things you disagree with. Twitter makes the information it gives you seem as if it reflects the world. Feeds are fishbowls. The tiny, myopic, ultratailored worldview that twitter gives you fills up your vision and gives you the illusion of understanding much larger, more complex issues. That’s the real danger of social media - not just being wrong, but being certain. If you get your information from twitter, if you have an account and log in and use it regularly - or even if you just socialize with a set of people who pass you information from the site, well, they’re just mediators for the exact same phenomenon.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1712225690173493268

I think the odds we have a speaker by the time the current budget CR deal runs out are very slim at this point.

He’s been waiting years for the chance to jam things up for Scalise.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

So, just speaking theoretically here because I'm sure it's extremely unlikely, but what happens if the majority party is unable to elect a speaker? Are there any procedural fallbacks if they're literally unable to get their poo poo together for weeks or longer?

The Speaker isn't elected by the majority party, but rather by the House as a whole. That's exactly why the GOP are having such a problem here: they're insisting on trying to elect a speaker with zero Dem votes, but their majority is so thin that they have to get nearly all GOP reps behind a single candidate in order to do that.

There's no real fallback if the House is unable to elect a Speaker. If they can't elect one, they have to keep trying until they do manage to elect one. That can get pretty bad - in 1855, it took a whopping 133 ballots over a period of more than two months before they finally settled on a Speaker.

The only real escape hatch is that the House sets its own rules for the Speaker election, so if it looks like a different set of rules might be able to produce an actual winner, a majority vote of the whole House can change those rules. In the biggest historical Speaker deadlocks, the House eventually temporarily changed the rules to elect the Speaker by plurality vote instead of majority, so whoever got the most votes would become Speaker even if they didn't have a full majority.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

The only real escape hatch is that the House sets its own rules for the Speaker election, so if it looks like a different set of rules might be able to produce an actual winner, a majority vote of the whole House can change those rules. In the biggest historical Speaker deadlocks, the House eventually temporarily changed the rules to elect the Speaker by plurality vote instead of majority, so whoever got the most votes would become Speaker even if they didn't have a full majority.
That leads to Jefferies being speaker though.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Paracaidas posted:

The brothers running Meidas are unabashed grifters, eager to threaten lawsuits against journalists who report on inconvenient facts, like that Brett is being paid as a consultant by the consultants to the PAC they set up (mimicking the Trump PAC grift of paying 'vendors' to pay Trump family members and campaign officials), or that the PAC's bank account shot up ~$200k between the end of 2020 and January 25th, 2021... unspent money donors foolishly thought was going to be spent to help win the Georgia runoffs, on account of being told it'd be spent to help win the Georgia runoffs.

Their schtick relies heavily on clickbaity social media that often misleads readers, either by stripping out the relevant context or massively overselling the story ("Bombshell new filing in Trump case!")... deputizing the dumbest of the #resist crowd to share and boost the post, either without reading it or lacking the capacity to understand it, all to keep the donation and clout coming in.

In this case, it's both! (video of the remarks)

Trump's comments about Bibi letting him down were specifically and explicitly regarding the Soleimani assassination, but "Old man in obvious decline grumbles about events from 46 months ago, back when he was still relevant" doesn't juice the metrics. So they lie to their followers and this thread gets poo poo up.

Excellent post.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Does the Speaker election need a majority of the votes or just a plurality

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Majority, unless a majority votes that they don't need a majority.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

A majority. If it were a plurality we would have Speaker Jefferies (or more realistically one of the House factions would fall in line and not hand the minority party one of the biggest Ws in history).

But it's a house rule how it's decided. So a majority of the house could vote to change it to a plurality. But that's unlikely. First you'd need the Democrats to vote for it. You might get that because it could lead to Speaker Jefferies but that's pretty unlikely so they'd probably rather keep the onus on the Republicans to figure their poo poo out.

Then you'd need a few Republicans to vote for it. The "Freedom Caucus" could do it as a "shoot the hostage" situation where they vote for the change and say "Our guy or you get stuck with Jefferies." Alternatively, the moderate Republicans could do it if they think it would cause the holdouts to give up and vote Scalise or whoever to avoid Jefferies. I'm not sure either side is sure enough the other would fold to do that.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

https://www.axios.com/2023/10/11/republican-speaker-vote-ken-buck-2020-election

quote:

Rep. Buck says next speaker must publicly support 2020 election results
Rep. Ken Buck (R-Colo.) said he voted "present" during the GOP's internal speaker nomination poll because neither House Majority Leader Steve Scalise (R-La.) nor Rep Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) would clearly say if they believe the 2020 election was legitimate.

Why it matters: Though Scalise ultimately won the Republican Party's nomination, he may fail to get the 217 votes needed to clinch the gavel if he can't win over holdout lawmakers like Buck.

This is getting complicated for Republicans.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Log off twitter already

I recently got into it with my brother and wife, who over the last couple of years have clearly become some kind of *pilled that I can’t quite identify. Their mix of despair, cynicism and absolute conviction is maddening, and it breaks my heart to see the people I love become so unglued.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

davecrazy posted:

Why is it that every picture I see of this man looks like he's orgasming.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Doesn’t it only count actual votes, not potential votes? So if Dems really wanted to end the stalemate, ten or fifteen could vote present and let a Republican win without the freedom caucus votes.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

smackfu posted:

Doesn’t it only count actual votes, not potential votes? So if Dems really wanted to end the stalemate, ten or fifteen could vote present and let a Republican win without the freedom caucus votes.

Sure, but why do so if the Republicans are just going to do a bunch of "impeach biden" style bullshit once in power

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Imagine being in love with the sound of your own voice but with Trump's level of ego and narcissism.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
It is 100% in the Democrats' interest to not help the Republicans escape the burning diarrhea pit that they have created for themselves, even from the reasonable standpoint of "we would like even a semi-functional government at this point." Speaker Jeffries is absolutely not a desirable outcome both politically and most of all practically, because trying to control these shitheads from a minority position, when they can't even do it from a majority position, simply isn't going to work.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sarcastro posted:

I." Speaker Jeffries is absolutely not a desirable outcome both politically and most of all practically, because trying to control these shitheads from a minority position, when they can't even do it from a majority position, simply isn't going to work.

A theoretical speaker Jeffries situation would essentially involve the five sanest Republicans switching and becoming the five most annoying Democrats. They'd be annoying but Manchin annoying not Gaetz annoying.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
First major "victim" of increased IRS enforcement. This is part of the "look back" program for the largest tax filers that was part of the IRA funding, but not the other major program from the IRA that involves more audits going forward. That one isn't supposed to be fully online until 2025-2026.

The IRS went through the 500 largest corporate tax filers and 1,500 largest individual filers that they suspected of underpaying, but didn't have the resources to contest or audit before.

Microsoft says they will contest the claim and appeal. They say that they complied with all tax laws and their deductions and reporting were legal under the tax law at the time. According to Microsoft, they can definitively prove that they paid at least $10 billion of the $29 billion the IRS is asking for and the other $19 billion were not really owed under current law at the time. The $29 billion alleged by the IRS is from a review of their returns from 2004 through 2013.

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1712218406848504120

quote:

IRS says Microsoft owes an additional $29 billion in back taxes

Microsoft received Notices of Proposed Adjustment from the Internal Revenue Service for an additional tax payment of $28.9 billion, the company said in an 8-K filing Wednesday.

Microsoft said the dispute concerns the company’s allocated profits between countries and jurisdictions between 2004 and 2013. It said up to $10 billion in taxes that the company has already paid are not reflected in the proposed adjustments made by the IRS.

Microsoft plans to contest the notices through the IRS’ administrative appeal and is willing to go to judicial proceedings, if necessary.

“Microsoft disagrees with these proposed adjustments and will pursue an appeal within the IRS, a process expected to take several years,” the company said in its filing. “We believe we have always followed the IRS’s rules and paid the taxes we owe in the U.S. and around the world.”

Microsoft said that as of Sept. 30, 2023, it believes its allowances for income tax contingencies are adequate.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 12, 2023

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
House Dems have no incentive to intervene or do anything beyond voting Jeffries. Their ideal outcome is a coalition of moderate Republicans come to them with a deal for a power sharing agreement. Their second most ideal outcome is the House remains in chaos and drags the GOP's name through the mud. Slipping in a Dem Speaker makes them the focus of the news, as they subvert the will of the American people to install a radical leftist from a minority party.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I mean,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0WSYbTvx0w

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MicaSoellnerDC/status/1712464703979479317

Jordan's people are also going through Scalise's financials, accusing him of further swampery with his wining and dining

It's great they're going to tear their party apart.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

You know how Arnold feels about the pump?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DMZ_ownSiM

That's how Don feels about doing financial crimes

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

zoux posted:

Jordan's people are also going through Scalise's financials, accusing him of further swampery with his wining and dining

I'm confused, i thought the lobbiests would be paying for the meals to try to get him to vote the way they want, not the other way around.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cimber posted:

I'm confused, i thought the lobbiests would be paying for the meals to try to get him to vote the way they want, not the other way around.

Yeah, many people on twitter noted the same. People don't know how stuff works so you can just lie to them and they'll believe it because of their priors. I'm sure Jim Jordan has similar expenditures, or would if anyone could stand to sit at a table with him for more than 15 minutes.

The GOP comms strategy is largely to just describe the way things are but in a scary or mocking voice so it seems uniquely bad instead of routine and ubiquitous.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Cimber posted:

No no no, they aren't bribing him with meals. They're contributing to his political campaign, and the good Rep and his friends need to be able to eat, don't they? So they just use those campaign funds to pay for the meal.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Sarcastro posted:

It is 100% in the Democrats' interest to not help the Republicans escape the burning diarrhea pit that they have created for themselves, even from the reasonable standpoint of "we would like even a semi-functional government at this point." Speaker Jeffries is absolutely not a desirable outcome both politically and most of all practically, because trying to control these shitheads from a minority position, when they can't even do it from a majority position, simply isn't going to work.

Right, but the Democrats do seem aware that having a Republican speaker isn't actually a semi-functional government.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

zoux posted:

Yeah, many people on twitter noted the same. People don't know how stuff works so you can just lie to them and they'll believe it because of their priors. I'm sure Jim Jordan has similar expenditures, or would if anyone could stand to sit at a table with him for more than 15 minutes.

The GOP comms strategy is largely to just describe the way things are but in a scary or mocking voice so it seems uniquely bad instead of routine and ubiquitous.

Its going to rule if this works and it ruins dining out in DC for Republican representatives just like living in DC was ruined by iirc Santorum negatively campaigning against the guy he beat in a Republican Primary.

A bunch of millionaires having daily images of them bringing sack lunches and microwave meals on their trips to "the swamp".

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

"Steve Scalise is part of the Swamp" says a guy endorsing someone who's been in office longer than him. (Jordan's been in since 2007, one year more than Scalise) :laffo:

Then again this seems like the right amount of thinking ability for Chip Roy, who used to be Ted Cruz's chief of staff.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gerund posted:

Its going to rule if this works and it ruins dining out in DC for Republican representatives just like living in DC was ruined by iirc Santorum negatively campaigning against the guy he beat in a Republican Primary.

A bunch of millionaires having daily images of them bringing sack lunches and microwave meals on their trips to "the swamp".

It's not, because no one cares, not even the voters. Or that is to say, they already "care" a bunch but keep voting for the same parties and politicians, the swamp rhetoric doesn't represent real concerns, it's fake.

https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/status/1712500782375784654

Dude is polling at 5% in the primary, I assume he's keeping his seat only as leverage to get a better plea deal. Or he's nuts.

Here's another NJ Dem that needs to be gone:
https://twitter.com/stevemorris__/status/1712275542383472673

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gottheimer has been one of the worst Dems in the House for a long time. Unfortunately it seems like he has a degree of actual power so I don't see him going anywhere.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Gottheimer has been one of the worst Dems in the House for a long time. Unfortunately it seems like he has a degree of actual power so I don't see him going anywhere.

We really need to stop giving disproportionate amounts of power to congresspeople from New Jersey.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

zoux posted:

It's not, because no one cares, not even the voters. Or that is to say, they already "care" a bunch but keep voting for the same parties and politicians, the swamp rhetoric doesn't represent real concerns, it's fake.

Its a serious moral failing that needs to be investigated and dealt with when the other guy does it, but its the way things get done when my guy does it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Large dollar amounts at DC restaurants from campaigns are usually from fundraising dinners; there's not really any sign of corruption involved and it's going to be common for any high-profile member of Congress. It's frankly a weird thing to hit him over.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

Large dollar amounts at DC restaurants from campaigns are usually from fundraising dinners; there's not really any sign of corruption involved and it's going to be common for any high-profile member of Congress. It's frankly a weird thing to hit him over.

I mean not that they’d agree, but the entire foundation of campaign fundraising is corruption to most outsiders who aren’t invested in the legitimacy of the system. It’s a system of buying influence through money. Big PACs and donors know specifically what they hope to get. That all of it has been grandfathered into legality by both parties doesn’t make it not that; it just means you can’t call it that in certain contexts, most importantly contexts where the kayfabe must be upheld. It’s all corruption, though. Nobody with any meaningful power wants publicly funded elections because it would gently caress up the game. Same with most other election reforms; the grift works as it’s supposed to right now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MicaSoellnerDC/status/1712505885791043667

McGriddles is overselling it, just a simple Egg McMuffin shows you are both fiscally responsible and have elegant good taste.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

zoux posted:

McGriddles is overselling it, just a simple Egg McMuffin shows you are both fiscally responsible and have elegant good taste.

You’ve got Trump’s vote.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Glad Trump established the precedent that D-tier fast food is suitable catering for major events now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

zoux posted:

Egg McMuffin was initially created by Mao (original name: MaoMuffin) and contains genetically-engineered Chinese supersoldiers of atomic size who wait only for our next "emergency" text broadcast to activate and burst out of the infected at full size and begin white genocide.

DUH. Haven't you been paying attention to the news? Christ, we used to make things in this country.