Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

bradzilla posted:

Yeah this was definitely the moment where people began turning on him en masse

Missing some context... was that a Lowtax post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

for fucks sake posted:

Missing some context... was that a Lowtax post?

oh my sweet summer child

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1878052&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

the op was deleted during the meltdown but the rest is there

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

bradzilla posted:

Yeah this was definitely the moment where people began turning on him en masse

yeah it was wild to see just how bad a decision that post was in real-time

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Being on Eric Andre is a career revitalizer if anything

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Samovar posted:

I think one could point to Jordan Peterson getting himself into a coma because of his drug addiction as being the point where he was once taken seriously to being the person even conservative-types tried to quickly push into a corner.

Nah, post-meat coma Jorps is unfortunately stronger than ever and continuing to grow his audience while ranting about lobsters and rats and the sexual politics of Disney movies like a loving coked out wacko. If he'd died thanks to meat coma, it would have been his career ender moment, but alas.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Ex-Pink Floyd megaloman Roger Waters decides to pen an open letter to Zelenski's wife, Olena, and ask her some "tough questions" in a tone not dissimilar to cranky grandpa fuming at "those people" in his TV: https://guitar.com/news/music-news/roger-waters-believes-ukrainian-surrender-will-stop-the-slaughter-open-letter-war-russia/

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

quote:

Titled “Did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?”
Jesus Christ Waters, shut the gently caress up. Go be up your own rear end in peace, like Syd's family asked you to do 17 years ago.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

bradzilla posted:

oh my sweet summer child

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1878052&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

That thread made me realize that Arzy comes back in 4 months (if they want to).

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
I would say Michael Richards at the laugh factory but he's still getting work and had a funny callback to it on curb your enthusiasm so I'm stumped.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

laserghost posted:

Ex-Pink Floyd megaloman Roger Waters decides to pen an open letter to Zelenski's wife, Olena, and ask her some "tough questions" in a tone not dissimilar to cranky grandpa fuming at "those people" in his TV: https://guitar.com/news/music-news/roger-waters-believes-ukrainian-surrender-will-stop-the-slaughter-open-letter-war-russia/

Rog is so anti-war, he worked himself into a shoot and came out pro-Russia. Oops!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

i must compose posted:

I would say Michael Richards at the laugh factory but he's still getting work and had a funny callback to it on curb your enthusiasm so I'm stumped.

lol JB Smoove Farrakhanifying him was one of the highlights of the absolutely excellent Seinfeld reunion season

River Crab
May 12, 2005

Perhaps a careful review of your options is in order.

bradzilla posted:

oh my sweet summer child

I read the entire thread a few years ago, and I recall the funniest thing was that most of the replies in the thread were positive and that it was only a handful of critical ones that triggered the meltdown.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUo4pe5eMbY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx1pQiETQm4

The whole Witness era was a disaster, but the SNL performances were the real killer.

I don't mind an unusual avant garde performance by a pop star. In fact I prefer it, playing it safe is boring! But this was just trend-chasing and sloppy.

Katy Perry's career never really recovered after that. I hear she's prepping for a comeback, so maybe I'm wrong!

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

To be fair she already reached the absolute top of worldwide stardom and was there for a decade and made like $300 million. At that point she could basically make armpit noises and she'd still be bulletproof and nothing she could do would matter anyways because what's another hundred million gonna do? Might as well just do some goofy poo poo or whatever you want and who cares what anyone thinks, your "downfall" will never actually see you hit the ground no matter what you put out

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uory-vm9Jt4

The whole scene is a meta commentary on what happened to her career lol

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Speaking of Cheers, Kirstie Alley pulled a Gina Carano and went full MAGA too until she croaked.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
CM Punk had just reclaimed the AEW World Championship in his home town of Chicago on September 4, 2022. Shortly afterwards, at the media scrum, he attacked various people who also worked for All Elite Wrestling, including the Executive Vice Presidents. Now, when I say “attacked”, I mean verbally…for the most part. After the media scrum, Punk and his friend Ace Steel got into a legitimate backstage brawl with said Executive Vice Presidents.

Now, normally that would be the moment when a wrestler’s career would be over. It wasn’t. This past June, All Elite Wrestling launched a new weekly show pretty much so CM Punk could still wrestle for AEW without running into the various wrestlers he hates so Punk’s feelings wouldn’t get hurt. Punk lasted TWO MONTHS before another backstage brawl broke out between him and the son of Luke Perry (also a wrestler), which resulted in him being fired from AEW.

Over the past 24 hours, WWE (for whom CM Punk wrestled for until another dramatic exit 10 years ago, albeit one where Punk was right) made it known they were not interested in hiring him.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Toxic Mental posted:

To be fair she already reached the absolute top of worldwide stardom and was there for a decade and made like $300 million. At that point she could basically make armpit noises and she'd still be bulletproof and nothing she could do would matter anyways because what's another hundred million gonna do? Might as well just do some goofy poo poo or whatever you want and who cares what anyone thinks, your "downfall" will never actually see you hit the ground no matter what you put out

Case in point: she's been a borderline sexual predator for over a decade and she can still do no wrong in her demographic. gently caress her, may her uterus slough through her pelvic floor and into a storm drain.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

The truly damaging thing Katherine Heigl did to her reputation was declining Emmy consideration for Grey's Anatomy and making it known in the press she did so to stick it to the writers/producers.

"I did not feel that I was given the material this season to warrant an Emmy nomination and in an effort to maintain the integrity of the academy organization, I withdrew my name from contention," she tells Gold Derby. "In addition, I did not want to potentially take away an opportunity from an actress who was given such materials." https://www.businessinsider.com/2008/6/katherine-heigl-grey-s-anatomy-didn-t-give-me-emmy-worthy-material

Brutal

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

CM Punk had just reclaimed the AEW World Championship in his home town of Chicago on September 4, 2022. Shortly afterwards, at the media scrum, he attacked various people who also worked for All Elite Wrestling, including the Executive Vice Presidents. Now, when I say “attacked”, I mean verbally…for the most part. After the media scrum, Punk and his friend Ace Steel got into a legitimate backstage brawl with said Executive Vice Presidents.

Now, normally that would be the moment when a wrestler’s career would be over. It wasn’t. This past June, All Elite Wrestling launched a new weekly show pretty much so CM Punk could still wrestle for AEW without running into the various wrestlers he hates so Punk’s feelings wouldn’t get hurt. Punk lasted TWO MONTHS before another backstage brawl broke out between him and the son of Luke Perry (also a wrestler), which resulted in him being fired from AEW.

Over the past 24 hours, WWE (for whom CM Punk wrestled for until another dramatic exit 10 years ago, albeit one where Punk was right) made it known they were not interested in hiring him.

good, gently caress cm punk

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Case in point: she's been a borderline sexual predator for over a decade and she can still do no wrong in her demographic. gently caress her, may her uterus slough through her pelvic floor and into a storm drain.

Wat

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

https://slate.com/culture/2019/08/katy-perry-sexual-harassment-teenage-dream.html

She also has an exhaustive legacy of kissing, groping, and just generally sexualizing the hell out of teenagers. She did it to Sean Mendes, she did it to an American Idol contestant, she did it on a talk show.

Here's a classic example of her doing it to Bo Burnham. He handles it really well IMO but you can tell it was extremely uncomfortable.

She and Brand were really perfect for each other, can't believe it didn't work for them. Here's what she had to say when she was called out for trying to kiss a Russian talk show host without consent:

Katy Perry posted:

I don’t want to say ‘guilty until proven innocent’ but there’s no checks and balances: A headline just flies, right? And there’s no investigation of what it is. I don’t want to add to the noise. I want to add to the truth, basically. I don’t comment on all the things that are said about me because if I chase that dragon, it would be about true and false-ing my whole life. It’s distracting from the real movement.

The "movement" in question was #metoo. Huge piece of poo poo. Huge.

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 11, 2023

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I'm playing catch-up

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I'm always baffled that there was apparently no way to signal to whoever does these things to simply stop the track and play the correct one, or any contingency plan for this kind of situation.

She blames the band but it was probably something or someone off stage that loaded the wrong track. Her just freezing and doing ....whatever that dance was is likely what got her blacklisted. It's one thing to have technical difficulties on stage but you recover. Once she did the dance and left stage it was over. That was the equivalent of a child pissing their pants at a school recital.

syntaxfunction posted:

Counterpoint: Seinfeld already ended, so his career was already over.

I remember some jokes at the time that a new season of Seinfeld was released on DVD and Jerry wanted Richards to speak up in case it harmed sales.

Bluemillion posted:

There's an alternate timeline where he decided against the helmet and sustained a life altering traumatic brain injury from that fall.

This is 6 out of every 10 wrestlers.

YeahTubaMike posted:

This is my first time hearing about it, and it seems oddly...anti-smug? I don't even know how to describe it. It's like, a move ostensibly meant to be humble that ended up coming back around to being smug. I'm as impressed as I am confused.

To me this comes off as saying the writers gave her scripts that were badly written. Imagine being a writer and getting your lead an Emmy nod, only to have them refuse and list the quality of your work as the sole reason for doing so. Pretty sure having an Emmy nominated script helps your career but not when the talent poo poo on it.

BATS FLY AT MOON posted:

Speaking of Cheers, Kirstie Alley pulled a Gina Carano and went full MAGA too until she croaked.

She was full blown Scientology before that. This show didn't help her career either. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118506/

Jennifer Grey who starred in Dirty Dancing and Ferris Bueller's Day Off, got a nose job which made her unrecognizable.

Rob Lowe was caught having a threesome at the DNC with an underage girl and all on video. I remember the fuzzy, pixelated images on the nightly news and Entertainment Tonight.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
What was that director guy who made Boondock Saints? Murphy something? Didn't he have a massive ego that caused him to get kicked out of hollywood?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Troy Duffy, and I don't think he ever was "in Hollywood" so much as his ego immediately flared up and got him badmouthing all these random Hollywood stars. He applied for the job of famous director, but was rejected.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Outpost22 posted:

What was that director guy who made Boondock Saints? Murphy something? Didn't he have a massive ego that caused him to get kicked out of hollywood?

Talk about a movie that strayed far from the source material

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
The Kony 2012 documentary filmmaker having a meltdown and jacking off in the middle of traffic in San Diego, CA

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Michael Madsen in the early 90s had a lot of heat after Reservoir Dogs & Thelma & Louise but opted to play Virgil Earp rather than Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction, & while Travolta got an Oscar nomination & a career second wind, Madsen had a whole lotta nothing until Kill Bill 2, then back to obscurity.

Especially ridiculous as the part was written for Madsen & turning it down soured his relationship with Tarantino for years, not great to do with the director who knows exactly how to use him.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 12, 2023

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Michael Madsen in the early 90s had a lot of heat after Reservoir Dogs & Thelma & Louise but opted to play Virgil Earp rather than Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction, & while Travolta got an Oscar nomination & a career second wind, Madsen had a whole lotta nothing until Kill Bill 2, then back to obscurity.

Bringing up Kill Bill reminds me of Vivica A. Fox and how she was in the loving Cool Cat movie, which seems like it totally didn't end her career at all thankfully.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lCQZeG9OWI

The Dixie Chicks were cool.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

They got done dirty.

Cancel Culture indeed.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Jaguars! posted:

In the final episode of home improvement, when everyone was waving goodbye, they were perhaps not thinking of being gone for quite so long.
Last Man Standing aired from 2012 to 2021, and had 194 episodes. Home Improvement had 204

I've somehow never seen a single clip suggested to me by The Algorithms nor heard anyone in Australia talk about Last Man Standing, but hey 10 episodes shy of Home Improvement.

nine-gear crow posted:

Star Trek episodes :eng101:

He got to play a cranky alien doctor on Star Trek: Prodigy for half a season before Paramount erased it from existence for a tax kickback.
Just don't put him into an improv scene of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpORw0qghGA

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Another Bill posted:

The Dixie Chicks were are cool.

:eng101:They realized how lovely their name was and changed it

best bale fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 12, 2023

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Outpost22 posted:

That movie producer Troy Duffy managed to charm then later piss off was none other than Harvey Weinstein

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

best bale posted:

:eng101:They realized how lovely their name was and changed it

Some of their bluegrass stuff slaps extremely hard too, these chicks are alright by basically every metric that matters.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Some of their bluegrass stuff slaps extremely hard too, these chicks are alright by basically every metric that matters.

Yeah, they're not biggest act in the world big anymore, but I thought they were still pretty successful?

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Disco Pope posted:

Yeah, they're not biggest act in the world big anymore, but I thought they were still pretty successful?

They’re definitely appreciated now (check out their song with Beyoncé if you haven’t, it’s called Daddy Lessons, it rules) but for the few years after they made that comment, they were persona non grata in the country music world. In the long run I don’t think it hurt their legacy, but it probably impacted their bank account for a bit.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Disco Pope posted:

They went from best selling female artists of all time / on every station and network in the country iirc to basically nothing for more than a decade. They've come back a bit but its orders of magnitude less it seems. I'm glad they're doing good and getting work tho.

Ultramega OK
May 14, 2003

I'm a Catholic, I can feel guilty about anything.
Michael Cimino went from Oscar winner to Razzie winner in three years due to Heaven’s Gate.

The 1980 western movie, not the 1990s UFO cult.

Prior to this, Cimino was an acclaimed film director who won Best Director and Best Picture Oscars for The Deer Hunter. His follow-up movie, Heaven’s Gate, went four times over budget due to his quirks and demands. It was also originally four hours long and featured scenes where horses were abused or, in one case, killed by explosives.

Heaven’s Gate effectively killed Cimino’s career. He only directed four more feature-length films after this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

That Works posted:

They went from best selling female artists of all time / on every station and network in the country iirc to basically nothing for more than a decade. They've come back a bit but its orders of magnitude less it seems. I'm glad they're doing good and getting work tho.

That's good to hear. I find a lot of sneering at bands that aren't as successful as they were a little misguided (not that that's The Chick's case as they were blackballed), but I remember some people sneering at the likes of MGMT who wrote one of the last superhits I can think of, or Carly Rae Jepsen who didn't become a stadium filler, but does really well at a smaller level with more freedom. I see Devo get some one-hit-wonder flack too while they more of a going concern that had a breakout hit.