Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I think the main point of difference is that uli is an rear end in a top hat who should be shoved in a locker

Definitely a trait unique to Uli and by no means shared by any other large corporate executive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Yeah nah, call me when gibson pulls a kirn corksniffer if you want to play that angle, uli’s not alone in being an rear end in a top hat but he’s too loud to hide it in a crowd.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Yeah nah, call me when gibson pulls a kirn corksniffer if you want to play that angle, uli’s not alone in being an rear end in a top hat but he’s too loud to hide it in a crowd.

lol when Gibson got slapped for illegally trying to import Amazon wood they went crying to the anti-Obummer crowd

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

What's worse, a CEO who can't keep his babyhurt mouth shut, or 4 CEOs who get convicted of a massive price fixing scheme? Because do you want to know what Roland, Korg, Yamaha, and Casio recently got found guilty of? Uli isn't even the biggest rear end in a top hat in his industry, he's just the loudest

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Benn Jordan drives a tesla lmao

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
pull up thread, pull up

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Benn Jordan drives a tesla lmao

And? Doesn’t change the fact that uli carries himself like a sugared up 12 year old who just discovered a new and exciting racial slur

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

And? Doesn’t change the fact that uli carries himself like a sugared up 12 year old who just discovered a new and exciting racial slur

does he?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
So uh, how bout that new Yamaha Montage?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

NonzeroCircle posted:

it looks fascinating to me but also workstation synths scare the gently caress out of me. Expensive workflow nailed to an expensive sound engine? What if I like one half but not the other? On the other hand, given the speed I've been pulled into Ableton it's probably only a matter of time.

I made this so that people can keep arguing about Uli if they want: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4044307

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I'm hoping they put some VL tech in there, sounds like a killer. Definitely confused to why the 61 key has no polyAT. The 400 note polyphony doesn't tell the whole story– the AN engine is only 16, but there's a full 128 for AWM and FM engines, FM engine looks fantastic. Those are all-the-time though which is unusual on multimode whizbangers.
It's the EX5 but it works this time, hooray :v:

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
I have access to a reliable source who has informed me Uli is in fact a loser billionaire getting personally offended by youtube influences sitting in his office.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
https://soundcloud.com/suboptimal-synthesis/10-11-23-wayfaring-saxosynths

butchered wayfaring stranger through a reverb, then butchered it even worse the second verse through a vocoder that covers up a lot :laugh:

everything that's not VST'd sax is from modular.

this is fun, I wish I hadn't had fever 16 of the last 23 days and sore throats or mouth sores for 12 of them or I'd probably be playing a lot more.

I've always loved this song and it's technically about death, so I may submit some version of this as a spooky synth song

probably with some samples tossed in that make fun of jesus without dunking on johnny cash in the process

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

NonzeroCircle posted:

I genuinely do not understand the market for things like this. I mean genuinely. I know there is a market, there's gotta be a big one, more people than Yamaha pour a bunch of money into them. And jesus they do a lot of things. I genuinely have no clue though who it is that makes use of all these things.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

toadee posted:

I genuinely do not understand the market for things like this. I mean genuinely. I know there is a market, there's gotta be a big one, more people than Yamaha pour a bunch of money into them. And jesus they do a lot of things. I genuinely have no clue though who it is that makes use of all these things.

I bet it's particular kinds of specialized professional users who are, for some reason, criminally underrepresented on this forum.

Maybe they're actual criminals and these are the tools of choice for running C&C botnets in 2023. Stranger things have happened (no they haven't).

Here's a reddit thread where some plausible use cases are discussed: https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/12sg6zf/so_keyboard_workstations_unpopular_topic_these/

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

toadee posted:

Churches. They’re just going to use the choir, bells, piano, and string presets. And maybe some spooky pads for theatricality.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

After thinking on it for 10 minutes the use case that came to mind was "Enya", and I mean, if we have to have an entire gigantic market segment devoted to all encompassing death star keyboards to get more Enya releases, I'm fine with that.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

everyone wants to be trent reznor but the only money is playing churches and weddings

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I bet it's particular kinds of specialized professional users who are, for some reason, criminally underrepresented on this forum.

Worship, musical theatre, composers especially older ones, cover acts, anybody who needs a shitton of choice, sampling and a sequencer. Everyone who'd be using a rack sampler back in the days and can't into computer is using a workstation because they're where all that tech, and the business, went. Sitting at my kurzweil and 256 voice of AWM2 is a fantasy land it couldn't even imagine. The layers man, the layers.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

All the music merchants are church posting now bb, I miss those days always good customers :retrogames:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

toadee posted:

these really made sense 20-30 years ago, and even like 10-15 years ago when a lot of musicians still had 3-4” thick Dell Inspirons and pre-unibody MacBooks with slow-for-the-time spinny disks as their laptop.

SSD ultrabooks and tablets have made this a moot issue, and now nobody thinks twice about plopping a MBP atop a midi keyboard to bang out organ music or whatever, but back then relying on a computer to host your tracks and presets and softsynths and whatnot on the road was niche at best and a real nonstarter for a lot of pro/semi-pro players.

Not only did laptops weigh a comparative ton vs the past decade, have much less RAM and CPU capability, have way less capable and more cumbersome batteries requiring power connection, but the reliance on HDD storage made them slow and possibly laggy during a set and fragile to travel with.

Meanwhile a workstation was a relatively standardized, rugged, purpose-built DAW in a box. A church or venue or studio could have one in-house and visiting players would more or less be able to understand and program it/import their own files. If you were to travel with one or busk with one/play in public, etc, it’s much more sturdy and streamlined and robust and safe than dragging out a ~2004 era laptop.

And so today there are still players who cut their teeth on them and prefer them and also there are players and venues replacing old equipment with the latest model and not looking to think much about it, etc. I’m sure there’s also probably a desire to import old files, but IDK how those OSs are or if that’s even still a thing/possible

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

these really made sense 20-30 years ago, and even like 10-15 years ago when a lot of musicians still had 3-4” thick Dell Inspirons and pre-unibody MacBooks with slow-for-the-time spinny disks as their laptop.

SSD ultrabooks and tablets have made this a moot issue, and now nobody thinks twice about plopping a MBP atop a midi keyboard to bang out organ music or whatever, but back then relying on a computer to host your tracks and presets and softsynths and whatnot on the road was niche at best and a real nonstarter for a lot of pro/semi-pro players.

Not only did laptops weigh a comparative ton vs the past decade, have much less RAM and CPU capability, have way less capable and more cumbersome batteries requiring power connection, but the reliance on HDD storage made them slow and possibly laggy during a set and fragile to travel with.

Meanwhile a workstation was a relatively standardized, rugged, purpose-built DAW in a box. A church or venue or studio could have one in-house and visiting players would more or less be able to understand and program it/import their own files. If you were to travel with one or busk with one/play in public, etc, it’s much more sturdy and streamlined and robust and safe than dragging out a ~2004 era laptop.

And so today there are still players who cut their teeth on them and prefer them and also there are players and venues replacing old equipment with the latest model and not looking to think much about it, etc. I’m sure there’s also probably a desire to import old files, but IDK how those OSs are or if that’s even still a thing/possible

Oh man I know about all that, what I'm saying is there is still a huge market beyond aging boomers who don't want to computer, and the evidence is Yamaha and Korg and Roland still spend hundreds of millions collectively on the R&D for them. They are massive undertakings and investments, so there is a bigger market than 'some people just don't computer', or else they wouldn't do that.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The few times I see Roland or Korg post about workstations on social media it's an in stage shot from some touring musician at some giant venue

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

toadee posted:

Oh man I know about all that, what I'm saying is there is still a huge market beyond aging boomers who don't want to computer, and the evidence is Yamaha and Korg and Roland still spend hundreds of millions collectively on the R&D for them. They are massive undertakings and investments, so there is a bigger market than 'some people just don't computer', or else they wouldn't do that.

prolly not that much, they’re built on 30+ years of R&D and iterative development. It’s not like they just scrap everything and clean sheet a new workstation, regardless of what the marketing will tell you. they’re not defense contractors or FAANG companies so IDK where you’re pulling “they still spend hundreds of millions of dollars developing workstation keyboards”

two of the companies you mentioned aren’t *that* massive and the third one is largely because they make engines for Toyota and motorcycles and hifi equipment

your more specific answer’s been covered by a few people: churches are a huge market for pro audio/video

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 11, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
gently caress me, I wish a company could spend a billion dollars developing a synth

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

gently caress me, I wish a company could spend a billion dollars developing a synth

imagine the world we'd build if everyone collectively devoted 90% of their military budgets to a 70/30 split of "energy that kills the planet less fast" and "VCO and DSP complexity"

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Ok Comboomer posted:

churches are a huge market for pro audio/video

When I got back into guitar/music several years ago, it was kind of a big surprise how much musical equipment was getting used for churches. Like half the used gear I was getting off of craigslist seemed to be coming from church players. Based on the presets left on a few multi effect units I got, they really love shimmer reverbs, like, alot.

Do you think any church gospel groups got into modular? God is like a complex oscillator, and Jesus is the modulation....

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Lol at people still being buttmad about this

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

If there's anybody in the synth world we should all give swirlies and wedgies to, it's the Synthrotek guy.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

W424 posted:

Lol at people still being buttmad about this

I mean, sure if you call “posting direct examples that counterpoint OP’s dumb post” being buttmad. Then yeah ok we’re all buttmad here

Wait: I don’t even know who you’re accusing of “still being buttmad”. Last I checked thread moved on to post about workstation keyboards

are the Behringer Stans buttmad? is it the ppl who dislike Behringer?

but also: lol Benn Jordan drives a Tesla and “doesn’t want to talk about Elon”

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 12, 2023

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

like of everything to be "buttmad" about when it comes to of behringer's conduct the whole KIRN thing is pretty loving valid. even if you believe that any similarities to longstanding antisemitic stereotypes were purely coincidental trademarking the name of a blogger who made mild criticism towards your company and then consistently making posts and a video directly harassing them is at the very best extremely bitchmade behavior and just like so loving embarrassing

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

watho posted:

like of everything to be "buttmad" about when it comes to of behringer's conduct the whole KIRN thing is pretty loving valid. even if you believe that any similarities to longstanding antisemitic stereotypes were purely coincidental trademarking the name of a blogger who made mild criticism towards your company and then consistently making posts and a video directly harassing them is at the very best extremely bitchmade behavior and just like so loving embarrassing

that kind of targeted legal/extralegal harassment is very Elon behavior, specifically

Benn, you coward, post your Elon thoughts

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
This has nothing to do with any contentious topics, just a video about church and cover band hardware that the thread may be interested in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5z-FWr0w58

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Never heard of this guy before clicking on this thread a few minutes ago and um, yikes.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

RocketMermaid posted:

If there's anybody in the synth world we should all give swirlies and wedgies to, it's the Synthrotek guy.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Gonna sell my Maschine and Komplete etc license, jesus TF christ this uninstall process alone is making me glad to see the back of it.
Every. Single. Thing. Individually.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

NonzeroCircle posted:

Gonna sell my Maschine and Komplete etc license, jesus TF christ this uninstall process alone is making me glad to see the back of it.
Every. Single. Thing. Individually.

You're really not doing a great job selling us on it .
Fingers crossed you have bag holders lined up elsewhere.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
It's generally very fine software, I just don't use it much anymore and would rather put that money towards something I will use instead, a bigger midi controller (keylab) and maybe a couple of hardware bits.
Komplete is absolutely a one stop shop for a large subset of electronic musicians, but it's not where I'm at right now.
As Native Access develops hopefully the uninstall process will be as easy as the install; you just don't realise how many things are in there until you try to clear them!

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Yup, I tried nuking my Waves and NI stuff recently, and it was just easier to ignore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Am I going insane or was the MSRP on this thing $89 like a month ago?