Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

chutwig posted:

I worked for Bloomberg for 6 years, never read Matt Levine once. Now I don't work there and I pay for a subscription mainly for his newsletters.

Weird I never worked there and I just use archive.is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Foo Diddley posted:

you just told an AI to generate "the most insufferable gently caress", didn't you

I told an AI to generate "Feywild native" and got Ellison.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

chutwig posted:

I worked for Bloomberg for 6 years, never read Matt Levine once. Now I don't work there and I pay for a subscription mainly for his newsletters.

He makes finance fun.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Yeah if there's a problem with Matt Levine it's that he enjoys finance a little too much and probably should consider that maybe finance should be more boring. Nothing against his writing but noting his bias with a "gee that's neat" attitude towards financial wizardry in how he covers certain things, like crypto.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

SettingSun posted:

Who the hell is getting together to discuss poo poo like the Fermi Paradox? That sounds like college coursework.

the irony is that social media, democratic "collapse" , and capitalism BIGNUMBA are probably massive filters that probably ensure a civ never becomes a space civ.

good job computer touching code monkeys and your apecoinz. an FLT civ will be super impressed.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

cruft posted:

See, this right here, this is a 100% justifiable, defensible, and dare I even say, noble, reason to hate on somebody.

They funni lookin ubermen

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

more falafel please posted:

Weird I never worked there and I just use archive.is

I mean Matt Levine provides his articles as a free email newsletter, you don't even need to pay or avoid a pay wall

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

cruft posted:

10 seconds is a long time. I wonder what was going on in that 10 seconds. Was she just sitting there with her mouth open staring at a bench? Was she nervously picking lint off her clothes? Was she pointing in a wide arc across the courtroom until landing on SBF?

From Verge's coverage

quote:

When the prosecution asked her to identify Bankman-Fried, she had trouble finding him and gazed around the courtroom for more than 20 seconds — apparently he was incognito with his new haircut. After she did spot him, she was asked to identify him, which she did by identifying him as wearing a suit. This got chuckles from the rest of the defense table, also all in suits.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
“Your honor how can she be telling the truth if she can’t even identify my client sam? The man she pointed to is a a two time arm wrestling champion who I hired for this purpose. Sam will you please reveal yourself to us? “

Sam removes wig and fake mustache and takes off bailiff uniform

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

kw0134 posted:

Yeah if there's a problem with Matt Levine it's that he enjoys finance a little too much and probably should consider that maybe finance should be more boring. Nothing against his writing but noting his bias with a "gee that's neat" attitude towards financial wizardry in how he covers certain things, like crypto.

Also he was a lot more positive on crypto and chummy to SBF than he lets on nowadays (SBF was in the process of poaching him from Bloomberg before everything went down)

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

based on some of the stuff in michael lewis's book on sbf, i'm beginning to think that in addition to be a massive nerd con artist, he's also really loving stupid

excerpt from matt levine:

this is what peak rationality looks like

He took the 1% chance because, given his background and upbringing, he’s never been in a situation where failure was a real threat

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

titty_baby_ posted:

So what, you think he should've gotten a haircut and worn a suit?

Naw, I think people should have laughed him out of offices for obviously looking like a total unqualified moron bro.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Thing is with techbro types is they go from the nerds who got their start by actually knowing what computers are and how they work to some degree and that was enough to run rings around the rusted on boomers and other fossils with all the money, who get humiliated and/or start throwing infinite money at them.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

titty_baby_ posted:

So what, you think he should've gotten a haircut and worn a suit?

Yes you loving goon

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I'm sure he wouldn't have stolen all that money if he dressed like a responsible person

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I usually suspect someone in a suit is more likely to try and steal my money tbh.

Also do any of tech bro start up people wear suits? I thought that's was just not considered a done thing outside older software companies like Microsoft and IBM?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

drk posted:

this guy on their staff page lists himself as an alum

This person absolutely encourages people to listen to the Jordan Peterson Podcast and promotes Joe Rogan.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

drk posted:

Which Culkin sibling is this? Malachi?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

He looks like if you made Ian Brutalmoose a douche.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Well not necessarily a suit but if I was rich I’d probably put at least some effort into my personal appearance.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
That was his "thing" he was a mega rich guy but he drove a normal car and dressed like that, he was such a normal guy! You can trust him with your money! He plans on giving away all of his personal wealth to charities!

Then of course the millions and millions of dollars embezzled for luxury properties got revealed.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

drk posted:

Edward Snowden in a wig

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

drk posted:

BDG after a lifetime of dropping acid

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

He looks like the villain from FFXV.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Squiggle posted:

Edward Snowden in a wig

lol

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Squiggle posted:

Edward Snowden in a wig

gently caress I can't unsee it now. gently caress you.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I take it back I don't see it

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

chutwig posted:

His newsletter is free, you know

https://newsletterhunt.com/newsletters/money-stuff-by-matt-levine

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 12, 2023

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Squiggle posted:

Edward Snowden in a wig

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

drk posted:

God you know that he’s just corrected someone in the most passive aggressive way possible right before that phot was taken.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

based on some of the stuff in michael lewis's book on sbf, i'm beginning to think that in addition to be a massive nerd con artist, he's also really loving stupid

excerpt from matt levine:

this is what peak rationality looks like

There's a whole lot of dudes who grew up reading Less Wrong who believe they're incapable of making a wrong decision and think exactly like this.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The funniest thing about Less Wrong is how many people I've witnessed independently having the exact same walking away point: the dust-in-the-eye thought experiment.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Agents are GO! posted:

The funniest thing about Less Wrong is how many people I've witnessed independently having the exact same walking away point: the dust-in-the-eye thought experiment.

I just went and looked this up, and let me just say :laffo:

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

Agents are GO! posted:

This is just juvenile garbage. Like not even intro to philosophy level

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Isn't LessWrong the people who are obsessed with Roko's Basilisk?

Edit: I looked it up and apparently the "thought experiment" is just a what if with arbitrary made up numbers? What's the message they're trying to convey exactly? It just seems... dumb.

syntaxfunction fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 12, 2023

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

What's the message they're trying to convey exactly?

Shut up and multiply. From what I remember of Less Wrong they totally misunderstood Bayesian probability, and concluded that everything is likely to happen as long as you multiply with large enough numbers.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

syntaxfunction posted:

Isn't LessWrong the people who are obsessed with Roko's Basilisk?

Edit: I looked it up and apparently the "thought experiment" is just a what if with arbitrary made up numbers? What's the message they're trying to convey exactly? It just seems... dumb.

they're the people that came up with it in the first place

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I mean these are the dumb questions we would ask each other while drinking or getting high. "Hehehe bro, imagine if someone has to be tortured for like, forever, OR, OR, get this, everyone in the world stubs their toes, like, all day. WHAT WOULD YOU PICK MAAAAAN??"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Zero One posted:

Today in court:

Ms. Ellison, 28, took the stand on the fifth day of Mr. Bankman-Fried’s trial on conspiracy and fraud charges stemming from FTX’s implosion. She began by taking more than 10 seconds to identify Mr. Bankman-Fried when a prosecutor asked her to point him out.

Well he did get gang tats while being held.
Whole head is now just MS 13 tats, and teardrops one for every big ponzi victim he cheated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the other hand
Dec 14, 2003

43rd Heavy Artillery Brigade
"Ultima Ratio Liberalium"
Not at all a Conover fan, but this interview has some pretty funny stories about crypto luminaries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y7fQsEwtBg