Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Can confirm the devil claw mk4 is good, you can stand still and parry bosses and ragers and if you mistime the parry you can just cancel with an attack, it's finally got it's time to shine and has the best attack pattern of light > heavy horizontal or overhead heavy openers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Do the Devil Claw swords do extra damage on headshots? I was noodling with some of the Emperor's Gifts and noticed they seemed to pop heads off in one swing, am I imagining that?

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Jumped back into this for the first time in a year thanks to the new patch, and loving the changes. Had some pretty straightforward success running Malice missions, then a streak of just getting mulched (still in Malice) when running my level 15-20 character, is it just me or does it feel like the difficulty isn't very consistent?

Or perhaps I just lost the pubbie lottery a few times in a row.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Reiley posted:

Do the Devil Claw swords do extra damage on headshots? I was noodling with some of the Emperor's Gifts and noticed they seemed to pop heads off in one swing, am I imagining that?

They made it so weakspot hits take priority now if you are swinging in the general area, so you don't get situations like they had where the plasma cannon would do -30% damage to hitting an arm while it full-body roasts a gunner.

On another note, this is a good argument to take "rev it up" on your chain weapons.
https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkTide/comments/175ig2x/theres_a_time_to_fight_and_then_theres_a_time_to/

And on yet another note for combat knife for zealot out of Flesh Tearer, Precog, Mercy Killer and Uncanny Strike, what would the best blessing pairing be for maximum damage?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Oct 12, 2023

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Internet Explorer posted:

It's wild how long some of the loading screens still take for this. You can be waiting a good 2 minutes for it to dump you into and instance. Honestly kind of impressive.

Theres a mod called Darkcache that drastically reduced the loadtimes for the lobby for me. Starting the the game and going into lobby was always fast but for whatever reason leaving the psykarium or going back into the hub after leaving a lobby or game took forever. Much better with that mod.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is Gun Lugger Ogryn just really bad, or is it just attracting a lot of the dumbest people like it did before it was actually a thing?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is Gun Lugger Ogryn just really bad, or is it just attracting a lot of the dumbest people like it did before it was actually a thing?

Im guessing it has the same downfall as some vets, finding out you can't just ALWAYS have your gun out and refusing to deal with it.

Gun lugger with a Gorgon is loads of dakka fun and does just fine on Damnation
https://i.imgur.com/ROf7WWx.mp4

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Gorgon is the sort of gun you can just funnel ammo into and it will take care of everything you could encounter.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Had my first instance of someone intentionally running away from the group constantly, and justifying it with "I have loner." They were permanently on death's door and were the first to drop in any kind of ambush. Surprised they would put a perk like that in a game where 1) sticking together is vital, and 2) the average pubbie already doesn't understand that you should stick together

E: idk if it's even a real perk, I've only looked at psyker tree

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

big cummers ONLY posted:

Had my first instance of someone intentionally running away from the group constantly, and justifying it with "I have loner." They were permanently on death's door and were the first to drop in any kind of ambush. Surprised they would put a perk like that in a game where 1) sticking together is vital, and 2) the average pubbie already doesn't understand that you should stick together

It's a real aura talent for Zealot, but it just means that you're always counted as having a minimum of 2 coherency. You're not losing out on anything for being in "real" coherency, it basically just lets you have passive toughness regeneration even when you're away from the group.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Perestroika posted:

It's a real aura talent for Zealot, but it just means that you're always counted as having a minimum of 2 coherency. You're not losing out on anything for being in "real" coherency, it basically just lets you have passive toughness regeneration even when you're away from the group.

A tiny amount of passive regen. It’s almost certainly the worst single point you can put into any talent tree, doubly so when you consider the opportunity cost of losing the other two Zealot auras.

edit: I can understand that the talent is thematic and why it exists, but why on earth does it take the place of an aura? It very specifically provides no benefit to the other players, and in fact robs them of regen rate by having one fewer player in their radius. There’s plenty of aura bonuses that subspec could provide, team backstab damage being the most obvious.

Magitek fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 12, 2023

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Gun lugger is great. The new tools give you all the support you need to pull off some bullshit. The brace + fire toughness combined with the stubber toughness per 10% magazine emptied in continuous fire means that you can literally just stand out in the open and outshoot all but the mightiest swarms of gunners and reapers.

Like mentioned above, the problem stems from people who refuse to switch to melee when the horde closes in.

The other problem is, other veterans shockingly. They are so use to being the dedicated gunners that they either abscent-mindedly (or actively maliciously) hog all the ammo drops, even when I'm fully empty and they still have a white ammo icon.

Edit: also the +fire attached to their active gives them even more hilarious clearing potential and boss murder, considering the speed that they get bosses to max burning and keep them there.

Edit 2: all the ogryn trees this patch are amazing by the way, my large illiterate boy is feasting. Skullbreaker has more damage and control than ever, bullgryn has an amazingly buffed shield and can block taunt regular shooters swarms to force them to break out melee and close distance. Gun lugger is fun lugger. Big fun rocks. They have it all.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 12, 2023

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

You can grab the Gunlugger ability and then still pick up pretty much every single toughness talent on the way, too. I also went down Feel No Pain isntead of lucky bullets, you really can just stand there facetanking things while throwing lead but you gotta pick your moments.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

big cummers ONLY posted:

It's real, and it's pretty bad. I played around with it a bit and it just doesn't do enough to make it worth losing your aura and definitely doesn't make you tanky enough to constantly run off alone.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Devorum posted:

It's real, and it's pretty bad. I played around with it a bit and it just doesn't do enough to make it worth losing your aura and definitely doesn't make you tanky enough to constantly run off alone.

IMO make loner one of the blue nodes and give them like a +5 Melee attack speed aura instead.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've tried a lot of Ogryn since the patch, and Bull Butcher with Feel No Pain and a good Grenade Gauntlet is awesome. You're super tanky, you can munch through hordes, delete elites/specials, and if things get really harry just toss a nuke. When I'm using that build, I feel like I don't get stuck focusing on any one thing for too long. It's really good at bouncing from problem to problem, no matter what the problem is.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Fishstick posted:

Theres a mod called Darkcache that drastically reduced the loadtimes for the lobby for me. Starting the the game and going into lobby was always fast but for whatever reason leaving the psykarium or going back into the hub after leaving a lobby or game took forever. Much better with that mod.

I'll have to give this a try

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

+1, thank you. When this happens it seems less like a cache issue and more like instances getting spun up or some sort of server/networking issue. But the loading screens under normal circumstances are also pretty bad. Will give it a shot.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Can anyone explain me why the quickplay is so bad in giving variety to the players? I think in two weeks I got 0 missions that have 'assassinate a vip target' at the end. I also remember there is a cathedral level that I haven't seen during these two weeks playing.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel like out of the 4 talent trees they probably leaned a bit too cautious with the veteran after the year of being the best ranged/melee class and it's probably on the weak side of the four, the keystones are minor short buffs on ult use that doesn't work well with the longer cooldown ults, executioner stance is a lot weaker with the toughness restore split off into it's own skill and no ogyn marking and no longer cools down while active, the 25% ammo increase I think used to be 40% and is only found in the very bottom of the left tree while ogyn can get their 25% halfway and while still pathing through the aoe taunt for 2 points and pretty much all of veteran's defense is in the bottom of the middle tree except for a single coherency toughness buff at the very middle top, if you don't take any defense talents you will get melted by gunners in seconds.

Veteran is still strong and good though, but could use a little spicing up in talent selection and I think is the least interesting of the 4 classes.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I levelled from 1 to 30 entirely on quickplay and had to look up what the mission type I was missing for my all-missions penance was. (Mine is "repair", I've never seen it before.)

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

Can anyone explain me why the quickplay is so bad in giving variety to the players? I think in two weeks I got 0 missions that have 'assassinate a vip target' at the end. I also remember there is a cathedral level that I haven't seen during these two weeks playing.

Quickplay will put you in a currently running/starting mission which means your options are what's visible on the map OR a game that started right before a mission rotated off the map but is still ongoing. And then of course it's only going to put you into a game that has a spot available. I don't know how it prioritizes which game to put you in (number of open spots, how close to beginning or end, classes currently in the game) but essentially when you hit QP you are dicerolling on current map missions not an equally distributed random game. So not getting an assassinate game is perfectly likely.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Worst case scenario, just leave and hit quickplay again, mods like hub hotkeys and hub cache will help speed that up.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

If you touch WASD while in the hub area you are a scrub to me #modlyfe

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I feel like out of the 4 talent trees they probably leaned a bit too cautious with the veteran after the year of being the best ranged/melee class and it's probably on the weak side of the four, the keystones are minor short buffs on ult use that doesn't work well with the longer cooldown ults, executioner stance is a lot weaker with the toughness restore split off into it's own skill and no ogyn marking and no longer cools down while active, the 25% ammo increase I think used to be 40% and is only found in the very bottom of the left tree while ogyn can get their 25% halfway and while still pathing through the aoe taunt for 2 points and pretty much all of veteran's defense is in the bottom of the middle tree except for a single coherency toughness buff at the very middle top, if you don't take any defense talents you will get melted by gunners in seconds.

Veteran is still strong and good though, but could use a little spicing up in talent selection and I think is the least interesting of the 4 classes.

Veteran was absolutely not the best melee class lol, it folded like wet paper if you got swarmed or surrounded by big sacks of HP. Power Sword propped it up heavily but there was a reason you wanted an Ogryn or Zealot as a frontliner instead of a Vet.

Indisputable they were best ranged though, and it was so overpowering that it really did warp the game a bit. Hopefully they can buff up the Vet skill tree and make it feel a bit better.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

hit 30 on ogryn :toot: any general build-agnostic guidance on what gear to look for (or what to throw away on sight)? i'd go looking but i wouldn't know if an article might be out of date, what with the whole class rework & all

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Ciaphas posted:

hit 30 :toot: any general class-agnostic guidance on what gear to look for (or what to throw away on sight)? i'd go looking but i wouldn't know if an article might be out of date, what with the whole class rework & all

In general you want to start fishing for tier 4 blessings by keeping an eye on Melk's shop, or for a more targeted approach by buying a shitload of a particular weapon from Brunt's Armoury and upgrading them via crafting. Some blessings are more important than others and there are still very BiS options, usually keep an eye out for +power blessings but there's too much variety to list all the things to look out for.

With the crafting system as it is, you can take any weapon with a good stat spread and make it very very good because you can replace both blessings if you roll two duds. Perks (the +%armor damage things, along with some other bonuses) are of secondary importance but can help you hit important breakpoints, perfect weapons are make or break because of these generallyl.

The types of stat spreads you want vary from weapon to weapon, if you want to try and learn yourself make sure to check what each stat bar does by examining it in your inventory, you can get detailed breakdowns that way. Good rule of thumb is that if a weapon has Mobility as a stat, that is 99% the dump stat you want to look for.

And of course, to do all that crafting you'll need crafting materials, which makes Damnation (5s) missions the best missions to run for this because you can get a maximum of 800 plaststeel and 300 diamantine. The best players are typically up here for hopefully your pubstove experience improves! Also don't be afraid to join the rattide discord and play with goons. Even if you don't want to play together it's an easier place to get rapid responses on advice.

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008

A Cool Video Game Too posted:

And of course, to do all that crafting you'll need crafting materials, which makes Damnation (5s) missions the best missions to run for this because you can get a maximum of 800 plaststeel and 300 diamantine. The best players are typically up here for hopefully your pubstove experience improves! Also don't be afraid to join the rattide discord and play with goons. Even if you don't want to play together it's an easier place to get rapid responses on advice.

Seconding the advice on making the jump to Damnation difficulty - you'll roughly double the amount of crafting materials per successful mission and have high chances for tier 3 or 4 gear rewards, which themselves can have good stat rolls or blessings. Plus it's just plain fun to see what intense stuff the game throws at you to put your build through its paces.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Ciaphas posted:

hit 30 on ogryn :toot: any general build-agnostic guidance on what gear to look for (or what to throw away on sight)? i'd go looking but i wouldn't know if an article might be out of date, what with the whole class rework & all

Skullbreaker, the left side tree, is really pretty weapon agnostic. You can easily throw on any melee weapon and do pretty good. For blessings, look to get at least one that gives toughness on chain hits, that'll keep you on the fight amazingly long. Your ranged is more of a tossup, but you might shoot for either a rumble (the single shot grenade) or the grenadier gauntlet to be able to snipe out specials, since you're melee is already a pretty good street sweeper.

For the middle line, you really, really want a shield. Get the Skullbreaker trait that gives you bleed on charge attack hits and you can still go HAM on hordes. You don't really need the taunt active and can still take the charge, but the passive ability to taunt on block and push is absolutely worth it's weight in gold against shooters.

Gun luggers live and die by the braced guns, either rippers or stubbers. Get either a Foe Rend mk 2 ripper, or either a gorgonum (range) or kourk (ROF, Dakka) stubber.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

much appreciated :tipshat:

A Cool Video Game Too posted:

Good rule of thumb is that if a weapon has Mobility as a stat, that is 99% the dump stat you want to look for.
is that the "you want this stat" or "you don't care about this stat at all" definition of "dump stat" you're using here

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Ciaphas posted:

is that the "you want this stat" or "you don't care about this stat at all" definition of "dump stat" you're using here

Generally don't want.

The one exception to this is the knife and the tac-axe if you're running a stealth zealot or vet. Go fast enough to get yourself into and out of trouble in the stealth window is necessary.

https://youtu.be/DdJBNfsv4Pw?si=FjKAKY7mTh8HZep0

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Ciaphas posted:

someone else answered already but yeah it's the latter. Dump stat is "this poo poo is the least important".

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Prawned posted:

Jumped back into this for the first time in a year thanks to the new patch, and loving the changes. Had some pretty straightforward success running Malice missions, then a streak of just getting mulched (still in Malice) when running my level 15-20 character, is it just me or does it feel like the difficulty isn't very consistent?

Or perhaps I just lost the pubbie lottery a few times in a row.

I'm assuming there's just a ton of new players.

Darktide now has Crossplay with Xbox. You cannot opt out of this on PC. The game is also now available on Gamepass, so there's probably a ton of new players flooding in and playing on controller. There's surely a lot of new PC players jumping in during the Steam sale as well.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If the weapon has a mobility stat, 99% of the time that is the dumpstat you can safely have at 50 or 51% for max dodges, or the defense stat if it does the same as mobility.

99% of the time you want 80% in damage, penetration, finesse, ammo and first target if those weapons have those.

For Psyker staves, quell speed is usually the least important since it is already very fast, but Psykers really want a 370+ staff because every stat is useful.

The most reliable way to get 370+ bases I've found is to use this site to check your shops quickly on each character and just snatch up anything you might be interested in using one day or just greys and greens to upgrade for blessing farming.
https://accounts.atoma.cloud/dashboard
Faster then relogging to each class and going over to the shop and eyeball any good bases and curios, the next best way to get a good base is dump millions of dockets into brunt's random greys until you get one above 300 finally.
And don't be afraid to grab up blues with a bad perk and t1-2 blessing if it has 370+ in good modifiers, you can just roll the dice for only the cost of plasteel from a couple damnation games and if it hits just one out of a good blessing or perk you can change 2 more things on it and have 3 out of 4 good stats with high modifiers that will be best in slot for a long time for you.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 12, 2023

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Diephoon posted:

I'm assuming there's just a ton of new players.

Darktide now has Crossplay with Xbox. You cannot opt out of this on PC. The game is also now available on Gamepass, so there's probably a ton of new players flooding in and playing on controller. There's surely a lot of new PC players jumping in during the Steam sale as well.

Also people like me who came back to play with my console friends.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

If the weapon has a mobility stat, 99% of the time that is the dumpstat you can safely have at 50 or 51% for max dodges, or the defense stat if it does the same as mobility.

99% of the time you want 80% in damage, penetration, finesse, ammo and first target if those weapons have those.

For Psyker staves, quell speed is usually the least important since it is already very fast, but Psykers really want a 370+ staff because every stat is useful.
370+ if gray is what you mean, right?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

370+ if gray is what you mean, right?

You want to look at the modifier value, not the rating number, modifier value ranges between 300-380 at max level, you can find 350ish weapons with better rolls then 380's if they have the right dumpstats.
Good example is this 348 flamer I got.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 12, 2023

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is there a mod that lets you run a solo strike team with bots? I just wanna get that Zealot loner armor and I have exactly one friend who is *maybe* up to the task but hasn't played in a couple months.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is there a mod that lets you run a solo strike team with bots? I just wanna get that Zealot loner armor and I have exactly one friend who is *maybe* up to the task but hasn't played in a couple months.

no(t that i'm aware of)

also probably the answer is the goon darktide discord which I am not a part of but maybe could decide to join (someone post a link or are we doing DM invites or what?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

There’s a link in the OP. There’s usually at least one group running, and I imagine people would be glad to help with whatever achievement run you like.

megane fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 12, 2023