Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Jaxyon posted:

Probably stupid conspiratorial thinking, but given how unprepared Israel was, and with multiple parties, saying they told him, this might actually be a case where the bad fascist man did let a terrorism happen. It's certainly good for Bibi's power, which is all he cares about.

Conspiracies of such magnitude would involve multiple conspirators in key positions, given that we're talking about the actual prime minister of Israel it is not impossible that he appointed conspirators to key positions and in fact given that he his personal appointments have all been of unqualified lickspittles it can even be argued that he had the mechanism to do so, however, it should be pointed that this would still be pretty unlikely as we're talking about a multi-tiered failure spanning multiple years, and given that we have plenty of evidence demonstrating that no conspiracy was actually required and that indeed that the state of preparedness along the border is consistent with public statements originating from Netanyahu and the heads of the security apparatus over the past 15 years it would seem significantly more likely that "What you see is what you get": Netanyahu was always more concerned with internal affairs, he was Hamas' number one patsy and unwitting collaborator, the promise of relative calm was enough for him to divert his attention to avenues where he believed he could make significant political gains and ignore the gaza front which he considered to be a dead-end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Conspiracies of such magnitude would involve multiple conspirators in key positions, given that we're talking about the actual prime minister of Israel it is not impossible that he appointed conspirators to key positions and in fact given that he his personal appointments have all been of unqualified lickspittles it can even be argued that he had the mechanism to do so, however, it should be pointed that this would still be pretty unlikely as we're talking about a multi-tiered failure spanning multiple years, and given that we have plenty of evidence demonstrating that no conspiracy was actually required and that indeed that the state of preparedness along the border is consistent with public statements originating from Netanyahu and the heads of the security apparatus over the past 15 years it would seem significantly more likely that "What you see is what you get": Netanyahu was always more concerned with internal affairs, he was Hamas' number one patsy and unwitting collaborator, the promise of relative calm was enough for him to divert his attention to avenues where he believed he could make significant political gains and ignore the gaza front which he considered to be a dead-end.

As soon as I read this I realized 10/9 truthers are going to be a thing, aren't they

Or would it be 9/10 truthers

e: 10/7? how has this all blended into one five day shitshow already

e2: Hopefully this ends the "kuwaiti incubator" equivalency thing..from bbc:

quote:

And here's another line from the Israeli military update - Jonathan Conricus says that Hamas militants did behead babies during their deadly wave of attacks at the weekend.

Conricus says a coroner who visited the aftermath of the massacre at Kibbutz Be'eri had seen the children's bodies and confirmed how they died.

"I admit it took us some time to really understand and to verify that report, and it was hard to believe that even Hamas could perform such a barbaric act," he says.

"I think we can now say, with relative confidence, that this is what Hamas did... there were bodies scattered everywhere, mutilated."
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-middle-east-67073970

They gotta go

You can't be chopping babies up like this is the crusades!! I was hoping that was total bullshit honestly, god

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 12, 2023

Brucolac
Jun 14, 2012

zer0spunk posted:

They gotta go

You can't be chopping babies up like this is the crusades!! I was hoping that was total bullshit honestly, god

The Hamas militants that perpetrated those acts and the entire chain of command that allowed/ordered that to happen must be brought to justice. I think everyone (in this thread at least) is of one mind on that.

Brucolac fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Oct 12, 2023

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Brucolac posted:

The Hamas militants that perpetrated those acts and the chain of command that allowed/ordered that to happen must be brought to justice. I think everyone (in this thread at least) is of one mind on that.

quote:

No electricity, water, or fuel for Gaza until hostages freed - Israel
Israel's Energy Minister Israel Katz says the siege of Gaza will not end until Israeli hostages are released.

In a social media post, Israel Katz said no "electrical switch will be turned on, no water hydrant will be opened and no fuel truck will enter" until the "abductees" are free.

Israel stopped supplies to the Gaza Strip after the Hamas attacks on Saturday.

Putting support of the population solely in the hands of hamas as a way of getting the hostages released is a brutal avenue but it might actually work. Is the intifada worth more than your own citizens? is a tough one to confront

It also kind of puts them in a put your money where your mouth is situation if this is really about rights and not religion

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

zer0spunk posted:

They gotta go

A reporter said that an unnamed coroner said that it happened. That's not exactly ironclad confirmation - it's basically the same level of confirmation that the original i24 report had, in fact. In the meantime, the White House has had to backtrack on Biden's claim that he had seen confirmation of this particular atrocity with his own eyes:

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1712286535050269124

e: see the community note:

https://twitter.com/Natsecjeff/status/1712213351101591907

Majorian fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 12, 2023

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Majorian posted:

A reporter said that an unnamed coroner said that it happened. That's not exactly ironclad confirmation. In the meantime, the White House has had to backtrack on Biden's remarks that this particular atrocity happened:

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1712286535050269124

You're right, I was hoping that they'd have to verify and see the coroner report or something before publishing but maybe it's still under the hearsay category and they don't have to? not sure how that works, I'd consider BBC to be more on the fact checking side of journalism right now (e: or at least more skeptical/impartial)

I also don't want to see visual proof or that report for my own sanitys sake, and there's enough atrocities recorded on video that it doesn't really change my "they gotta go" stance

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 12, 2023

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

zer0spunk posted:

You're right, I was hoping that they'd have to verify and see the coroner report or something before publishing but maybe it's still under the hearsay category and they don't have to? not sure how that works, I'd consider BBC to be more on the fact checking side of journalism right now

I also don't want to see visual proof or that report for my own sanitys sake, and there's enough atrocities recorded on video that it doesn't really change my "they gotta go" stance

I agree that Hamas is a terrible organization that has committed horrible atrocities. But how do you think they should be made to "go"? Because right now the Israeli government's way of doing that seems to be committing far more atrocities against innocent civilians than Hamas ever could - something that could easily strengthen Hamas' position among Palestinians, not weaken it.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Majorian posted:

I agree that Hamas is a terrible organization that has committed horrible atrocities. But how do you think they should be made to "go"? Because right now the Israeli government's way of doing that seems to be committing far more atrocities against innocent civilians than Hamas ever could - something that could easily strengthen Hamas' position among Palestinians, not weaken it.

Dismantling hamas is probably the easiest part, there are already a lot of factions in gaza that align like the PIJ but aren't them that would easily step in (and more than likely be the exact same thing)..ousting the reason for an army occupying and causing collateral damage isn't an unpopular idea

I agree that they are using war tactics to get their hostages back, and it's not fun to watch. I have no idea what I'd choose if the options are:
-stop supplying power/fuel/water to an enemy you're at war with in the hopes that pressure from within gets them to release the kidnapped
-go in and try and attempt rescue by force
-negotiate over the course of years and hope they aren't executed, be in this situation with the same enemy again and again

I know this thread sometimes says "lay down arms and see where that goes" is a fourth option, but that's far from realistic at this point (e: because it requires a benefit of the doubt that is long gone, not because of a rejection of a peaceful method)

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Oct 12, 2023

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I can see two ways this will go:

1- Israel commits to a land assault into a city. End result- 100,000's of civilians killed, 1000's of conscripted Israelis, Gaza looks like Berlin or Stalingrad. A bombed out city with defenders is still not going to go down without a fight.

2- Israel siege's the city and kills 100,000's of civilians. HAMAS's gunmen will be the last to be impacted (and their leadership will simply leave when it gets too hard). Not many Israeli deaths though. Somewhat slower too.

Neither ending leads to peace, as neither side want it, and their leadership will simply walk away afterwards,

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Not even western sovereign countries can dismantle their own extremist factions when they are not in power or in direct conflict, what hopes do a barely functioning state with very little autonomy that are constantly under siege can hope to accomplish?

Let's not even mention the outside interference that makes sure Hamas is in power to create the "perfect villain".

zer0spunk posted:

-negotiate over the course of years and hope they aren't executed, be in this situation with the same enemy again and again

I know for some reason we seem to treat hostile countries like puppy dogs who you need to act carefully around of, otherwise they will learn the wrong lessons and behave badly. "We don't negotiate with terrorists" seems to mean that if you negotiate the release of hostages, they will get more hostages for more appeasement, when in turn the opposite seems to be true, where if you just ignore hostages they'll go more desperate try to go for higher profile hostages or just straight up kill civilians because why bother.

There is more to this than "let's just talk it out" or "give peace a chance" and hoping for the best, but at the very least we should see how all this violent reaction is not just reprehensible, but straight up ineffective as a solution.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Bholder posted:

Not even western sovereign countries can dismantle their own extremist factions when they are not in power or in direct conflict, what hopes do a barely functioning state with very little autonomy that are constantly under siege can hope to accomplish?

Let's not even mention the outside interference that makes sure Hamas is in power to create the "perfect villain".

I know for some reason we seem to treat hostile countries like puppy dogs who you need to act carefully around of, otherwise they will learn the wrong lessons and behave badly. "We don't negotiate with terrorists" seems to mean that if you negotiate the release of hostages, they will get more hostages for more appeasement, when in turn the opposite seems to be true, where if you just ignore hostages they'll go more desperate try to go for higher profile hostages or just straight up kill civilians because why bother.

There is more to this than "let's just talk it out" or "give peace a chance" and hoping for the best, but at the very least we should see how all this violent reaction is not just reprehensible, but straight up ineffective as a solution.

The way this normally goes, as was the case with gilad is, they don't leave anyone behind if they can. Even the corpses are negotiated for, gilad's release was in exchange for 1,027 palestine prisoners, one of which was a particular sticking point over a killing of a father and daughter in the 70's, which should tell you how bad they wanted galid back alive***

The problem is, now they have an estimated 150-200 of them in gaza, not 1 or 2 like usual, so this is uncharted waters in terms of response. They usually choose the negotiation option, as the force option has a history of getting the hostage killed.

***e: correction, samir was part of getting the bodies of two reservists back (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eldad_Regev) which i should have remembered because people were kinda pissed they were giving up a living prisoner for bodies..but the point that they negotiate in the majority of these for both living hostages (galid) or corpses (regev, ron arad, and so on) remains true

e2: i somehow missed this in samir's wiki

quote:

In an interview to Al-Manar, Hezbollah's satellite television network, Kuntar said: "I'm jealous of the Zionists, who don't spare any effort in bringing back captured soldiers or soldiers' bodies. Seriously, we are jealous of our enemy and its care for a [body] and how it goes to the end of the world in order to return it, and of its concerns for captives and how it will go to the very edge to bring them back."[47]

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Oct 12, 2023

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Ah, I see Biden did the dishonest thing on the anniversary of that other big lie after all.

Seems bad when the US president says blood libel is happening and then immediately backtracks and provides no evidence :waycool:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
What is going on with some of these hands, feet and faces?
Looks fine at a glance but zoomed in they seem to exhibit artifacts of AI generation.

https://twitter.com/IsraelinPanama/status/1711535585775530373

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
Nm

BUUNNI fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 12, 2023

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Theres other photos of the group that look more normal
Its probably a dogshit AI composite photo from the phone that took it.

Blinken and netanyahu had a little call and response press statement and yeah unsurprisingly the US backs Israel on all fronts real or imagined.
Al Jjazeera had a live PiP of gaza being bombed as blinken talked about civillian and child deaths.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Marenghi posted:

What is going on with some of these hands, feet and faces?
Looks fine at a glance but zoomed in they seem to exhibit artifacts of AI generation.

https://twitter.com/IsraelinPanama/status/1711535585775530373

Looks like they tried to upscale the photo with AI and failed spectacularly.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1712417234960658569

Although the backtracking has started I think the damage this obvious lie has caused may be permanent.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
Can someone help me understand the drive to disprove specific details of certain atrocities while at the same time saying there is no moral difference between a beheaded victim vs. one buried in rubble?

If they’re at the same level of inhumanity, then what difference does it make?

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

BUUNNI posted:

https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1712417234960658569

Although the backtracking has started I think the damage this obvious lie has caused may be permanent.

They did confirm the beheadings, just that they couldn't confirm if the victims were children.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/10/12/israel-gaza-war-updates-hamas/#link-I7DTTKRWBVC4PNT72N6HAM6HJA

quote:

Syrian state television said Israel has targeted both Damascus and Aleppo international airports, the country’s two largest airports. The strikes come a day after mortars were lobbed from Syrian territory toward Israel, falling on an open area. Israel has struck both airports in the past.

Not sure how much of an escalation this is, given the notation that strikes like this have happened before?

Brucolac
Jun 14, 2012

Chillmatic posted:

Can someone help me understand the drive to disprove specific details of certain atrocities while at the same time saying there is no moral difference between a beheaded victim vs. one buried in rubble?

Can you point out specific people who have done both? Because otherwise the obvious answer is that different people are making different arguments.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I mean, the opening line is that Palestinians don't understand what an existential threat is; I don't think there's really any need to probe any deeper.

I get the criticisms others have already given for this piece, but I think the opening line is more about Hamas not fully appreciating how unhinged and unrestrained the Israeli reaction was going to be when Israel feels significantly threatened. From the people I know with ties to Israel, this is a fear-driven bloodlust level that I don't think has been seen since 1973.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

karthun posted:

They did confirm the beheadings, just that they couldn't confirm if the victims were children.

How could they have confirmed beheaded victims but not if the victims were adult or infants?

karasu
Jan 3, 2008
German public radio aired a live Interview with IDF spokesperson Arye Sharuz Shalicar this morning, which I thought had some reasonably well prepared questions that I have not seen asked in other outlets. Transcribed/DeepL tranlated/amateurishly edited by me:

quote:

Mr. Shalicar, five days after Hamas' inhumane terrorist attack on Israeli civilians, how would you describe the military situation at the moment?

Well, on the one hand, we now have the situation at the border fence between Israel and the Gaza Strip under relative control. Why relative, because there are still terrorists on Israeli territory who have hidden and entrenched themselves somewhere over the course of the last five days and are now appearing here or there every few hours. Then we have called up over 300,000 reservists, of which I am one, to help out now both in the south and looking north to be prepared for anything, as we may have to be prepared in the coming days and weeks, in case Hezbollah joins in the terror with Hamas. And on the other hand, the Israeli army has also now counter-attacked, specifically hitting thousands of targets of Hamas and Islamic Jihad in the Gaza Strip by now.

Mr. Shalicar, our correspondents report that it is only a matter of time before the Israeli army enters the Gaza Strip with massive troops. Has the decision already been made and what would be the goal of such an operation?

Well, you have to consider, in a situation where approx. 1000 Israelis were murdered in one day, which in German terms would be about 10000 Germans in one day, that turned the whole country upside down last Saturday and the reservists were not called up for nothing. You look at what the options are that you have, one of the options is to proceed with a ground offensive, whatever it will look like, however long it will last and however deep it will go, and that primarily not only with the aim of bringing Hamas and Islamic Jihad completely to their knees, but also to free the Israeli hostages, now over 80, that we know of.

Mr. Shalikar, the Israeli military is responding with massive airstrikes on targets in the Gaza Strip, which is a very densely populated area. How can you distinguish military targets from civilian targets?

It's a big problem that we face over and over again, unfortunately, because Hamas and Islamic Jihad use that exactly to their advantage. Using their children, their mosques, their hospitals, everything that is civilian as shields and meanwhile also using the Israeli hostages as human shields. Therefore, we are even more careful because it is not in our interest to wound children or women, and we really have to proceed here with a precision that is difficult, but which we are trying to maintain because, as I said, we are only interested in targeted killings of either Hamas leaders or targeted destruction of Hamas and Islamic Jihad terror infrastructure in the entire Gaza Strip.

But now, Mr. Shalikar, almost 200,000 Palestinians in Gaza have sought refuge in schools run by the UN program for the Palestinian territories. Two of those schools have been hit, according to UN Secretary-General Guterres. According to the U.N. Relief and Works Agency, the airstrikes killed 11 U.N. staff, including five teachers and a gynecologist, and some died with their families in their homes. Doesn't that show, Mr. Shalikar, that it is actually almost impossible to make a distinction?

The sad thing about the whole thing is that Hamas and Islamic Jihad, as I said, have been exploiting these very civilian objects in part as their military bases or have been digging weapons depots or terror tunnels under these locations in recent years. That can be under UN schools, that can be under mosques, under preschools. Of course, this is a dilemma for the Israeli army as well.

A dilemma, but are those legitimate targets then, for you?

These are for the Israeli army and according to the international law of war these are 100% legitimate targets, because any target from where terrorists shoot or wherever weapons are stored - in case of war these targets then of course become legitimate targets.

But international law also says that such attacks must be proportionate.

One has to ask what international law says about the fact that over a thousand Israelis were murdered in Israel in one day. We are at war, this is an unpalatable situation that we did not want, but was initiated by the criminal mass invasion on Saturday by Hamas and Islamic Jihad. It is up to them and on their hands to improve this situation by releasing all the hostages alive right now.

Clearly, the terrorist attack by the Hamas organization is a blatant violation of international law. But now the United Nations Human Rights Office in Geneva is accusing both Hamas and the Israeli side of violations of international law. Quote: "Acts by one side that violate international humanitarian law do not relieve the other side of the obligation to comply with it." What do you say to that criticism?

Well, we'll be happy to listen to any criticism once everything is over. Now, at the moment we are in a war and we can't give out sweets* to terrorists at the moment because dozens of Israelis are still in captivity of the terrorists, there has been a bloodbath in Israel, a real massacre, which we have never seen in the history of Israel in the last 75 years.

Part of the Israeli response is the complete closure of the Gaza Strip. No electricity, no gas, no water, no food, no medicine. The United Nations Commissioner for Human Rights, Volker Türk, has criticized this, saying: "Sieges that endanger the lives of civilians by depriving them of essential goods are prohibited under international humanitarian law. A siege can only be justified by military necessity, otherwise it amounts to collective punishment." Are you collectively punishing the Palestinian side?

No, absolutely not, that is not our intention. There are several things to consider here. One is that, of course, the Gaza Strip has another border, and that is with Egypt, where the Egyptians can be responsible, of course. Secondly, in the event of war, Israel has absolutely no legal or moral obligation to transfer any goods to the Gaza Strip, which has just been declared a war zone, and thirdly, the Kerem Shalom border crossing, which has always been used for goods in recent years, was deliberately bombed by Hamas in recent days.

You mentioned the border crossing with Egypt, and now we are receiving reports that the Israeli Air Force has attacked targets near this Rafach border crossing into Egypt, and the border crossing has been closed as a result. What is the purpose of bombing targets in the immediate vicinity of the Rafach border crossing?

We are going around in circles, because everything that happens in the Gaza Strip is of course in the hands of these two murderous terrorist organizations, which of course also operate at Israeli border crossings as well as at the border crossing to Egypt, and which also have terror tunnels and weapons depots there. These are thousands of targets, which of course we as a normal observer can not perceive. But now in the war we have to disable these targets, because from these places rockets are fired on Israel. As we have seen in the last few days, in five days alone, 5,000 rockets on Israel. And that is a situation that cannot be tolerated any longer.

Mr. Shalikar, not every Palestinian will approve of Hamas's terrorist attacks; on the contrary, anyone who reveals himself to be a critic must expect to be killed. Without victim blaming, because everyone knows who triggered the latest escalation: Aren't you afraid that the Palestinians will be driven into the arms of the radicals when they see their houses being bombed?

Unfortunately the last few generations of Palestinians, in the Gaza Strip at least, have mostly been in the hands of Hamas, Islamic Jihad and Islamic State, which came to power there in the Gaza Strip in 2007, two years after Israel cleared the Gaza Strip and made the Gaza Strip pure from Jews. Our intention was, our desire was to live side by side in peace, long-term peace. Jews were uprooted from Gaza. But what we got are thousands of rockets and now of course this bloody act, this massacre, this pogrom that took place last Saturday. The pictures and the videos have gone around the world, this is unforgivable, these are children, these are babies, these are wives of people here in Israel where almost every family is affected by now.

The terrorist Hamas organization has announced, Mr. Shalikar, that for every air strike that is not preceded by a warning, hostages will be shot. If the Israeli military now moves in with troops, will these people have a chance to survive, what do you think?

Well, we don't take orders from barbaric terrorists, certainly not in such a situation, and we are aware of the situation that Israeli citizens are currently in in the Hamas terror tunnels. Nevertheless, the military must now act decisively and unitedly, and this is exactly the case these days.

*: The "handing sweets to terrorists" comment might refer to celebratory demonstrations in Berlin last Saturday where sweets were handed out.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Main Paineframe posted:

Yeah, what kind of psychos would go through a residential area kicking down doors and shooting anyone inside?

:words:

I really don't want to sound flippant here, but I feel like you might be coming at this from a place of ignorance, because atrocities are all over the news right now and getting you stirred up, but you don't have enough knowledge about the conflict in general to be able to really put those atrocities in context alongside all the atrocities that don't make the front pages of Western papers.

SourKraut posted:

Cutting off power to Gaza, ceasing deliveries of what small flow of potable water can be reliably depended on, preventing food and fuel from entering, I would say that all of these are much larger "psychotic issues" as it relates to impacts on humans and suffering, but you don't seem to be applying quite the same focus as the rave or grandmother hostage-taking.

Okay, these are obviously horrific things but why would I bring up past Israeli or Western failings or atrocities during a discussion regarding peaceful ravers being rape, murdered and kidnapped? I don't see how sharing more awful details regarding a largely one-sided conflict changes anything regarding the morality of innocent people being slaughtered? :confused:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

karasu posted:

German public radio aired a live Interview with IDF spokesperson Arye Sharuz Shalicar this morning, which I thought had some reasonably well prepared questions that I have not seen asked in other outlets. Transcribed/DeepL tranlated/amateurishly edited by me:

*: The "handing sweets to terrorists" comment might refer to celebratory demonstrations in Berlin last Saturday where sweets were handed out.

This kind of thing is what really worries me because it's clear that there is no real endpoint. When looking at what will actually end the explosion of violence, the expectation would be that Hamas leadership being killed or handed over would be enough. But the casual "idk there is Hamas everywhere" of it speaks to the idea that Hamas is whoever the IDF thinks it is, and the only way this will end if when they feel that they have had their revenge.

The theme of "Hamas is wherever our bombs fall" has been going on for decades but it has really boiled over.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Okay, these are obviously horrific things but why would I bring up past Israeli or Western failings or atrocities during a discussion regarding peaceful ravers being rape, murdered and kidnapped? I don't see how sharing more awful details regarding a largely one-sided conflict changes anything regarding the morality of innocent people being slaughtered? :confused:

This isn't a one sided conflict. Starving someone kills them just as much as shooting them, and it isn't less immoral just because it's slower.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 12, 2023

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Chillmatic posted:

Some people struggle to emotionally (rather than intellectually) accept that atrocities are done in the name of the cause they support, especially if said atrocities are perceived to be politically harmful to the cause supported. They're good, and the cause they support is good, so it can't be associated with bad things!

To give an example, the images of Shani Louk's body face down in that truck were clearly graphic, shocking and dominated the news for a while. So much in fact, that it helped shape international opinion against the attacks and Hamas. Israel is leveraging this outrage to its advantage, giving it cover for what we all know its about to do in Gaza.

BUT! If it can be proven that Shani Louk is alive, well, that would weaken those arguments and be great damage control for the cause! And if she is dead (which having seen the video, is by far most likely - I think simplest explanation is that someone - possibly in Hamas - realised how bad the video looked and called her mother to try and spread disinformation - which her mother has naturally latched onto as she is desperate to believe her daughter could be alive - there's not really been reliable further reports of this - just reports about earlier reports), well spreading confusion about if its true or not also helps in the propaganda war.

I'm not accusing any posters of doing this conciously or maliciously - its just some people will latch onto anything, no matter how dubious, because it suits the narrative they prefer and is emotionally easier to accept than the alternative. You see it the Russia/Ukraine War - where when Ukraine makes a mistep or does something bad (which happens in war!), people will tie themselves into knots looking for ways to downplay or muddy the waters about it.

Its stupid though, as bad things being done in pursuit of a cause, do not make the cause itself bad.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

BUUNNI posted:

How could they have confirmed beheaded victims but not if the victims were adult or infants?

I don't know, this is your source. Perhaps you should ask yourself that.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Chillmatic posted:

Intent.

If you are a military leader, strike a military target but end up killing civilians unintentionally that makes you at the least possibly a lovely general. Beheading on the other hand, you are clearly trying to murder. There is no way that is remotely any kind of accident. It also hits the human psyche of being an especially cruel way to die.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Intent.

If you are a military leader, strike a military target but end up killing civilians unintentionally that makes you at the least possibly a lovely general. Beheading on the other hand, you are clearly trying to murder. There is no way that is remotely any kind of accident. It also hits the human psyche of being an especially cruel way to die.

And Israel is striking only military targets? Really this is more like a carpet bombing campaign, take a look at the destroyed neighborhoods of Gaza and tell me any general reasonably thought those apartment buildings were all legitimate military targets.

The death in Gaza is not accidental. And when you cut off food, water and electricity to a blockaded area then it cant be considered an accident if any civilians starve or thirst to death.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

karthun posted:

I don't know, this is your source. Perhaps you should ask yourself that.

CNN is not the source for the claim that Hamas decapitated 40 babies.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

OctaMurk posted:

And Israel is striking only military targets? Really this is more like a carpet bombing campaign, take a look at the destroyed neighborhoods of Gaza and tell me any general reasonably thought those apartment buildings were all legitimate military targets.

No, I don't believe so.

OctaMurk posted:

The death in Gaza is not accidental. And when you cut off food, water and electricity to a blockaded area then it cant be considered an accident if any civilians starve or thirst to death.

I never said or even implied that it was accidental? Why are you even bringing this up?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I mean, the opening line is that Palestinians don't understand what an existential threat is; I don't think there's really any need to probe any deeper.

What if actually says is that they "don't understand the idea of 'existential threat' for Israeli Jews."

It makes sense to me that if you experience daily threats to your life, the lives of everyone you know and love, while the state imposing that threat makes every effort to show itself as an invincible and unmovable war machine, it's basically impossible to buy into the idea that the people protected by that state also feel scared all the time.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

CuddleCryptid posted:

This kind of thing is what really worries me because it's clear that there is no real endpoint. When looking at what will actually end the explosion of violence, the expectation would be that Hamas leadership being killed or handed over would be enough. But the casual "idk there is Hamas everywhere" of it speaks to the idea that Hamas is whoever the IDF thinks it is, and the only way this will end if when they feel that they have had their revenge.

Especially now with some further quotes of, "the terrorists are still in Israel, hiding among you." (From the interview posted above)

Edit:

Tigey posted:

BUT! If it can be proven that Shani Louk is alive, well, that would weaken those arguments and be great damage control for the cause! And if she is dead (which having seen the video, is by far most likely - I think simplest explanation is that someone - possibly in Hamas - realised how bad the video looked and called her mother to try and spread disinformation - which her mother has naturally latched onto as she is desperate to believe her daughter could be alive - there's not really been reliable further reports of this - just reports about earlier reports), well spreading confusion about if its true or not also helps in the propaganda war.
I posted about this upthread a bit, so please excuse the duplicate information.

The Spiegel article listed the source as a "family friend," of someone who was in some sort of relationship with the victim's aunt. https://www.spiegel.de/panorama/ham...70-469989fe36e7

quote:

According to her mother, the young woman is still alive. She has a serious head injury and is in a critical situation, the mother said in the video message. »You shouldn't argue about questions of jurisdiction. We have to act quickly to get Shani out of the Gaza Strip .”

Information from the Gaza Strip

The information came from a family friend in the Gaza Strip, Wilfried Gehr told SPIEGEL. Gehr is the long-term partner of Shani Louk's aunt, Orly Louk. The friend sent the family a message, but was not allowed to visit Shani Louk in the hospital himself. “We firmly assume that it is Shani,” Gehr continued. Louk is in the Indonesian Hospital in the northern Gaza Strip city of Beit Lahia. »The Foreign Office must take action. Now every day counts,” said Gehr.

Regardless, it really does sound like a mother in grief latching onto hope. The family friend said she might be in a particular hospital, but they're unable to enter to confirm, etc. I would think there would be some sort of proof of life if it was true, but it's a war zone so I doubt that's a priority for anyone on the ground.

So, I don't personally think it's Hamas disinformation, much more likely a grieving mother talking to the press. The mother is basically calling for a specops rescue or something, but I'm dealing with machine translation of the article so that might not be accurate.

This whole thing is a microcosm of how the conflict thoroughly disregards the relationships that real people have on the ground between Israel and Palestine, though. Father is Israeli and mother is converted German Catholic, and they have a close enough relationship to people in Gaza they call friends that those friends are willing to try and track down a Hamas hostage and report on her location (assuming it all to be true). That's probably not without personal risk to them. It's all very sad.

ummel fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 12, 2023

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

BUUNNI posted:

CNN is not the source for the claim that Hamas decapitated 40 babies.

Your cnn source is the source for confirmed beheaded victims but they were unable to confirm the age or sex of the victims. You tried to use this as a refutation of the claim that there were beheaded children when the article did not support your claim. Then you get mad at me because instead of reading x I read the article. Stop reading x and read articles instead, you might learn something.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

No, I don't believe so.

I never said or even implied that it was accidental? Why are you even bringing this up?

You said the difference between a baby buried in rubble and baby beheaded is intent, and I'm saying there is not a difference in intent between the people beheading the babies and people burying the babies in rubble.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

The Sean fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 12, 2023

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

OctaMurk posted:

You said the difference between a baby buried in rubble and baby beheaded is intent, and I'm saying there is not a difference in intent between the people beheading the babies and people burying the babies in rubble.

I said here's a morale distinction and that comes from intent. People kill each other all the time yet everyone isn't charged with murder often manslaughter yet the outcome is still the same.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

karthun posted:

Your cnn source is the source for confirmed beheaded victims but they were unable to confirm the age or sex of the victims. You tried to use this as a refutation of the claim that there were beheaded children when the article did not support your claim. Then you get mad at me because instead of reading x I read the article. Stop reading x and read articles instead, you might learn something.

You should probably read the linked CNN article before claiming it confirms any beheadings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

BUUNNI posted:

You should probably read the linked CNN article before claiming it confirms any beheadings.

karthun posted:

Heres the story, everyone can read it instead of talking about reading it.

quote:

The Israeli government has not confirmed the specific claim that Hamas attackers cut off the heads of babies during their shock attack on Saturday, an Israeli official told CNN, contradicting a previous public statement by the Prime Minister’s office.

“There have been cases of Hamas militants carrying out beheadings and other ISIS-style atrocities. However, we cannot confirm if the victims were men or women, soldiers or civilians, adults or children,” the official said.

The explosive allegations that children had been decapitated at the kibbutz of Kfar Aza emerged Tuesday in Israeli media. Israel Defense Forces later described the scene as a “massacre” in a statement to CNN. Women, children toddlers and the elderly were “brutally butchered in an ISIS way of action,” the IDF said.

Tal Heinrich, a spokeswoman for Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, said on Wednesday that babies and toddlers had been found with their “heads decapitated” in Kfar Aza.

US President Joe Biden appeared to confirm that information. In a roundtable with Jewish community leaders on Wednesday, he said: “I have been doing this a long time, I never really thought that I would see… have confirmed pictures of terrorist beheading children.”

A US administration official later clarified Biden’s remarks, telling CNN that neither Biden nor his aides had seen pictures or had received confirmed reports of children or infants having been beheaded by Hamas. The official clarified that Biden was referring to public comments from media outlets and Israeli officials.

An IDF spokesman, Jonathan Conricus, later in the day said terrorists had likely carried out decapitations of babies in the Be’eri kibbutz.

“We got very very disturbing reports that came from the ground that there were babies that had been beheaded… I think we can now say with relative confidence that unfortunately this is what happened in Be’eri,” he said.