Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

The Merkinman posted:

Does sideloading Android 14 require a full wipe of data? It's been a week and it's asinine there is no transparency as to when Tmobile will finally get off their asses and decide to roll it out.

when i did the sideload it required me to perform a factory reset, but i had my data backed up anyway so it was fine. i also pay for Google One so that might help? tbf i wasn't able to restore my backup the first time it did the reset and i had to reset it once more. then my phone was back to the way it was before i did anything (minus downloaded photos and songs/podcasts in spotify etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Is there an approved "good" method for getting Google Play Store running on Windows 11?

Guides found in search are looking kind of sketchy, and apparently a popular method was found installing malware last year...

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I'm tired of android auto being picky about cables in my car and having to switch to new ones periodically. Or cutting out over bumps, etc. I think it's time for me to look into a wireless adapter.

Some searching leads me to believe that AAWireless and the Motorola MA1 are both fairly well regarded. The former seems to be reddit's favorite, for whatever that's worth.

How seamless is the setup and use of these? Are they just plug and play, or is there some finicky setup (initial or otherwise) to work through? Also, how do they handle multiple phones, such as when my wife and I are in the car together?

Some reviews talked about an adapter losing connection for brief periods, sometimes on the same stretch of road. Is that sort of hiccup common?

Basically I guess I'm worried I'll be trading one minor annoyance (cable pickiness) for another.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

incogneato posted:

I'm tired of android auto being picky about cables in my car and having to switch to new ones periodically. Or cutting out over bumps, etc. I think it's time for me to look into a wireless adapter.

Some searching leads me to believe that AAWireless and the Motorola MA1 are both fairly well regarded. The former seems to be reddit's favorite, for whatever that's worth.

How seamless is the setup and use of these? Are they just plug and play, or is there some finicky setup (initial or otherwise) to work through? Also, how do they handle multiple phones, such as when my wife and I are in the car together?

Some reviews talked about an adapter losing connection for brief periods, sometimes on the same stretch of road. Is that sort of hiccup common?

Basically I guess I'm worried I'll be trading one minor annoyance (cable pickiness) for another.

I've been using AAWireless for quite awhile now.
There's the occasional quirk, but it's way more reliable lately, especially with firmware updates. Losing connection in the same areas is pretty standard, but I think this is unavoidable with any sort of wireless dongle, it's likely just some device in that area crowding out the signal

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

couldcareless posted:

There's the occasional quirk, but it's way more reliable lately, especially with firmware updates. Losing connection in the same areas is pretty standard, but I think this is unavoidable with any sort of wireless dongle, it's likely just some device in that area crowding out the signal

I had no idea this product existed and my Android Auto cable disconnects my phone when it feels a pebble in the road or a slight breeze, so thank you for improving my life with this post

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've also been using AAWireless in both of my cars for like 2 years and it's been solid. Not without the occasional quirk, but part of that is because I have like 4 phones paired to each.

95% of the time it's get in car, start up, and it's live as soon as everything boots. 4% of the time it takes a minute or two to kick in and the remaining 1% is when I have to have some sort of intervention like unplugging it or launching the AAWireless app.

I will say though that each car manufacturer can have different nuances that can change the experience (and even different models or years of the same car manufacturer.)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

gently caress i need an 8 pro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS8x2TicxQ8

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

couldcareless posted:

Thanks! I'll probably be ordering the AAWireless over the Motorola just due to how many positive reports I keep hearing.

When it drops out due to congestion or whatever, does it just reconnect a handful of seconds later down the road? I have visions of losing directions for an upcoming highway exit and suddenly having to fiddle with a dongle at high speeds or something.

What is involved with updating the firmware? Is it all done via your phone on an app?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, the app just updates the firmware. Depending on your car's port config, you may have to disconnect it and supply external power.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

8 pro got here today. This is nice but it's absolutely iterative over my 6 pro.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Rap Game Goku posted:

8 pro got here today. This is nice but it's absolutely iterative over my 6 pro.

Phones kinda became iterative instead of quantum leaps in like 2016 I think

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Motorola MA1 for about a year and a half and it has been solid.
AA starts up quickly and it reconnects quickly if it disconnects. Happens time to time without it being a big deal.

Quirks: Rarely it will disconnect frequently during a trip, manually swiping background apps seems to help so I'm not sure this is an issue with the adapter.
Twice in the year and a half I've had it it just refused to connect, with no combination of power cycling my phone, the device, my car, or reconnecting and repairing would make it connect. Solution was both times to clear the Android Auto app data on my phone and then repair it. Nothing changing on my end triggered that weird failure, one of the times it happened was when I stopped for gas.
MA1 doesn't have a method to update firmware as far as I know, so it may be simpler but maybe runs the risk of becoming obsolete in the future.

Huge quality of life improvement over wired android auto, strongly recommend.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

smoobles posted:

Phones kinda became iterative instead of quantum leaps in like 2016 I think

This is true. The flat screen is much nicer than the previous.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Learned with some surprise this morning that, after updating to Android 14, my alarm was blocked by having DND on. I assume, since I've not seen any posts about this, this is some weird bug that happened to only me tho?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Pixel gang rise up

My 8 Pro is getting here tomorrow. Love my 7 Pro, but apparently I'm a new phone every year kinda guy now.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Incessant Excess posted:

Learned with some surprise this morning that, after updating to Android 14, my alarm was blocked by having DND on. I assume, since I've not seen any posts about this, this is some weird bug that happened to only me tho?

assuming you've checked these settings and allowed alarms to interrupt dnd?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

how does the pixel8pro face unlock not work in the dark if it works just fine on my pixel4xl in the dark

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

GreenBuckanneer posted:

how does the pixel8pro face unlock not work in the dark if it works just fine on my pixel4xl in the dark

The P8P just uses the front facing camera with ML logic to calculate depth.

The 4xl used an infrared dot emitter with stereo infrared cameras to calculate depth.

So one requires light but no extra hardware and the other has a bunch of extra hardware that doesn't need light but needs real estate in the bezel or a cutout.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Efb

GreenBuckanneer posted:

P8/Pro uses the camera. P4XL has dedicated IR hardware

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

ShoogaSlim posted:

assuming you've checked these settings and allowed alarms to interrupt dnd?

I had everything set up correctly and after updating to Android 14 alarms weren't allowed through DND anymore, I've since set it up again but worth looking in your settings just to make sure is what I'm saying.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The P8P just uses the front facing camera with ML logic to calculate depth.

The 4xl used an infrared dot emitter with stereo infrared cameras to calculate depth.

So one requires light but no extra hardware and the other has a bunch of extra hardware that doesn't need light but needs real estate in the bezel or a cutout.

sounds like a downgrade to me

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Well the trade off is that it's much more secure and as a result can offer features like face unlock for payments and logins.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

THF13 posted:

Motorola MA1 for about a year and a half and it has been solid.
AA starts up quickly and it reconnects quickly if it disconnects. Happens time to time without it being a big deal.

Quirks: Rarely it will disconnect frequently during a trip, manually swiping background apps seems to help so I'm not sure this is an issue with the adapter.
Twice in the year and a half I've had it it just refused to connect, with no combination of power cycling my phone, the device, my car, or reconnecting and repairing would make it connect. Solution was both times to clear the Android Auto app data on my phone and then repair it. Nothing changing on my end triggered that weird failure, one of the times it happened was when I stopped for gas.
MA1 doesn't have a method to update firmware as far as I know, so it may be simpler but maybe runs the risk of becoming obsolete in the future.

Huge quality of life improvement over wired android auto, strongly recommend.

I've had an MA1 since January, and it is generally great. There can be a lag of a minute or so from when the car starts and Android Auto kicks in, but I think at least some of that is my car's built-in maps and such to finish loading before it replaces them with AA.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

GreenBuckanneer posted:

the bright light behind the fingerprint scanner sucks but i would much rather that than a big notch at the top of my display

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
The NFC reader on the P8P is absurd, felt like it took payment when I was just loosely waving my phone in the general direction of the card reader. Going to have to watch that if someone is paying in proximity.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

All right, FedEx. Time to hurry the gently caress up...

Really liked what I saw in MKBHD's review, especially the video stuff. If you have POC in your friend circles, Real Tone is absolutely fantastic.

Are we really sure that some of the AI stuff in Tensor 3 is actually software-gated, or is it actually binned chips like we suspected before.

I still understand why they would, though. It's Pro, not XL. If it was just XL, then I would say yeah it doesn't make sense.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

AlexDeGruven posted:

I still understand why they would, though. It's Pro, not XL. If it was just XL, then I would say yeah it doesn't make sense.

At the time I figured they were just copying apple with the name. On the 6/7Pro the extra camera hardware & bigger screen were the biggest/only differences. This is the first time they've gone hard on other capabilities.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

the bright light behind the fingerprint scanner sucks but i would much rather that than a big notch at the top of my display

you don't even notice it tbh

anyways it doesn't matter at this point cause friday i may end up having the phone and having to trade in the 4xl

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

incogneato posted:

Thanks! I'll probably be ordering the AAWireless over the Motorola just due to how many positive reports I keep hearing.

When it drops out due to congestion or whatever, does it just reconnect a handful of seconds later down the road? I have visions of losing directions for an upcoming highway exit and suddenly having to fiddle with a dongle at high speeds or something.

What is involved with updating the firmware? Is it all done via your phone on an app?

It just auto reconnects whenever it happens to me. There's definitely 2 areas I travel through frequently that cause it, one is a huge intersection, the other is a small strip of interstate. I probably lose connection for seconds and it reconnects on its own every time.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

UncleGuito posted:

Well the trade off is that it's much more secure and as a result can offer features like face unlock for payments and logins.

They're the same class biometrics and both can be used for payments and logins.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I've been using face unlock on the 4 for banks just fine

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I do love having an idiot dog that barks at everything coming near the door sometimes. He told me FedEx was here before FedEx was here.

Edit: drat this thing is smooth

Edit 2: I'm loving the noise canceling on the Pro 2s. They still leave a little background noise so it's not like sensory deprivation (ex: I can hear my keyboard just fine while I'm typing this), but it really takes all the ambient noise down nicely.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 12, 2023

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

Desk Lamp posted:

They're the same class biometrics and both can be used for payments and logins.

Ah gotcha, never had that model. I guess probably a downgrade for some then!

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
P8P and google watch 2 just arrived. Still copying data at this time but man that matte finish on the back is really nice

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

So uh Play Protect is just notifying everyone that Samsung Wallet is a harmful app and recommending uninstalling it?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Looks like T-Mobile blessed the Android 14 update. My P7 on Mint sees it now.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Has anyone in the thread gone from a Pixel 7 to an 8?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Where do I find the same live - wallpaper view of earth from space that I've used forever?

Apparently its under "Living Universe" instead of "Earth"

FunOne fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 12, 2023

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

Looks like T-Mobile blessed the Android 14 update. My P7 on Mint sees it now.

I see it now as well! :respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Has anyone in the thread gone from a Pixel 7 to an 8?

ive been considering it since i would really love a smaller phone. but my coworker brought his 8 pro into work and now i'm not sure.

overall, i prefer ease of use with one hand over some of the flashier ai features even if i fundamentally disagree with the choice to exclude them for no reason.

day to day i just want to be able to text and browse with one hand while i half pay attention to whatever i have on tv. more realistically one handed use is much much more convenient when it comes to carrying poo poo while running errands or just walking around with a coffee or something.

i think while writing this post i convinced myself to get an 8 lol