Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
"Kusoge" I think is the term

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Meowywitch posted:

Koshiro-san responded to a tweet I made to him about how much me and my dad loved his music, a super kind fellow :3:

Yeah, glad that the composer of some of my all time favorite tracks is such a chill guy. And also unconcerned with eating chorizo at 1 am.

I'll admit I feel terrible for forgetting he was the composer for EO/Ys/7th Dragon and such, but hilariously when I checked him on wikipedia the spanish article only mentions Streets of Rage. It's hilarious, instead of a discography or similar it just has the games as subsections.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Yeah, glad that the composer of some of my all time favorite tracks is such a chill guy. And also unconcerned with eating chorizo at 1 am.

I'll admit I feel terrible for forgetting he was the composer for EO/Ys/7th Dragon and such, but hilariously when I checked him on wikipedia the spanish article only mentions Streets of Rage. It's hilarious, instead of a discography or similar it just has the games as subsections.

Goddamn it falcom, not crediting your composers…

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

CullenDaGaDee posted:

I've not yet had the pleasure to play 6 so who knows, maybe that one is the dog turd everyone says it is.

It's fine enough in a vacuum but it just had the misfortune to come after one of the best in the series so it's really hurt by that.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

I'd still like to play it, it looks so unique

It's a very bad game with a unique look unfortunately. There's pretty much no reason to actually play it

Luckily we found this out by getting it on gamefly back in the day rather than paying money for it

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Most of the praise I've seen for Disgaea 6 go to its story and characters, which I'm told were a step up from the fairly uninspired writing of Disgaea 5. I honestly would at least like to try it to see why exactly it failed to shake up the series formula (I mean I could watch a longplay or something but that's not the same feeling), but I'd have to get it a recycle bin price since I've long since grown past dropping money on bad games just to experience them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

disgaea 6 isnt terrible gameplay-wise, its still the base disgaea gameplay, theres just a lot of things on top of it that dont quite work

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
If nothing else having a game where they gave monster types humanoid weapons that scale off their non-ATK/MAG stats seems cool, so I kinda wanna play it for that alone.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Endorph posted:

disgaea 6 isnt terrible gameplay-wise, its still the base disgaea gameplay, theres just a lot of things on top of it that dont quite work

I know it's probably catnip for most of the disgaea fanbase but I really find myself liking the games a lot less the more subsystem they add to break the game. Not for balance reasons but because it feels like it just leads to more interruptions for tutorials and the like. I think if systems like the board game and planet scouting in D5 were reserved for the postgame I wouldn't mind so much.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Junpei posted:

"Kusoge" I think is the term

this is america we call them "the lovely games that suck rear end"

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

In Japan kusoge are still appreciated though, like takeshi's challenge and atlantis no nazo

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
is it because they force that guy in the jumpsuit to play them

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

is it because they force that guy in the jumpsuit to play them

No that was Dr. Forrester and TV's Frank

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

(The last one he played was Septentrion Out of the Blue, the Japan-exclusive PS1 sequel to SOS, and being on an actual sinking ship seemed more fun than playing that terrible thing.)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
human entertainment was, uh, doing their best, in the ps1 era

have i mentioned that the origin story of grasshopper manufacture is that after suda got asked to save a game from production hell and then got carte blanche to make his own game he decided to just make something completely deranged and then leave the company because he recognized that the human was about to go under when they started massively cutting their pay to their employees.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Considering picking up Undernauts for switch and

the cover we got in america:

the cover japan got:

... man I wish we got that cover

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The American cover is like 8/10 in a vacuum but goddamn does the JP art go hard.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
That is rad. I don't know anything about Undernauts but now I'm interested.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's cool. Not the most accessible DRPG I've played though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I got pretty far in it which means it can't be too bad, I suck at those lol

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's cool. Not the most accessible DRPG I've played though.

Can you elaborate?

fwiw I have 17 hours in Operation Abyss and enjoyed that. Not enough to finish it, but I was having a good time. So I know how hardcore Experience drpgs can get.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Can you elaborate?

fwiw I have 17 hours in Operation Abyss and enjoyed that. Not enough to finish it, but I was having a good time. So I know how hardcore Experience drpgs can get.

I think you'll be fine then. Mostly just see people go from like EO to an Experience game and get pretty lost/put off.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think you'll be fine then. Mostly just see people go from like EO to an Experience game and get pretty lost/put off.

Sweet, thanks.

I should get back to playing EO, but I settle to play a drpg on my computer and get distracted.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

There is only one thing to know in Undernauts. You get all the permabuff skills, buff your party at the start of into the dungeon, then respec out of them to skill actual skills. You do this everytime you step into the dungeon. Yes, you don't have to do this, but you'd be crazy not to since respecs are free wherever you are and the buffs last until you step back into base.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

StrixNebulosa posted:

Sweet, thanks.

I should get back to playing EO, but I settle to play a drpg on my computer and get distracted.

But the first three eo games are now also on computer :sci:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dackel posted:

There is only one thing to know in Undernauts. You get all the permabuff skills, buff your party at the start of into the dungeon, then respec out of them to skill actual skills. You do this everytime you step into the dungeon. Yes, you don't have to do this, but you'd be crazy not to since respecs are free wherever you are and the buffs last until you step back into base.

That sounds tedious as hell.

Meowywitch posted:

But the first three eo games are now also on computer :sci:

I have them on the computer and can't get them on switch because I need to mod out the stupid on-screen arrows!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

undernauts isn't too difficult as they give you those party-wide free skills that have a two turn cooldown and several of them are just crazy like half-damage, entire party goes first, etc

mon-yu has this too actually but they nerfed it so no matter what skill you select, you have to wait a turn before selecting another (rather than going through each one turn by turn so you have constantly cycling buffs)

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

I found Undernauts to be the easiest Experience drpg because of QOL features and overall difficulty curve. It's a good first entry if you haven't played Experience's take on drpgs

Stranger of Sword City (Revisited) remains my fav Experience joint both in difficulty, party building, and tone/setting
https://store.steampowered.com/app/409890/Stranger_of_Sword_City/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1363840/Saviors_of_Sapphire_Wings__Stranger_of_Sword_City_Revisited/

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Gyoru posted:

I found Undernauts to be the easiest Experience drpg because of QOL features and overall difficulty curve. It's a good first entry if you haven't played Experience's take on drpgs

Stranger of Sword City (Revisited) remains my fav Experience joint both in difficulty, party building, and tone/setting
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1363840/Saviors_of_Sapphire_Wings__Stranger_of_Sword_City_Revisited/

I agree with this, though I think I found Sapphire Wings to be a lot less grindy. Both games are probably near the top of Experience games for me. The Demon's Gaze games are pretty good too but I prefer the more detailed, gothic art style of Sword City and Sapphire Wings.

Etrian Odyssey got brought up a few posts ago; any word on whether the later games will be ported to modern console/PC?

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Dackel posted:

As a counterargument, early on you unlock a set of free action buffs which include "all skills this turn are free and cast at one level higher." Since there's only four perma-buffs in the game, the investment to just buy the 1-2 levels you need to cast them at max power for free in the first battle of the exploration is so minor that the respec honestly isn't worth it.

IMO the main thing to know coming from other games is that Undernauts has basically no option for instakill immunity - on promotion the tank class chooses from "immune to instant death" and "literally every other ability you'd want a tank class to have so they're not just a dead slot on the lineup", and that's it, every other option is just stacking status resist and hoping for the best. So depending on your tolerance for returning to base every 2-3 fights you may just want to cheat engine a bunch of decoys once those become common.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gyoru posted:

i have the original SoSC and hopefully it's not too much worse than the revisit

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Gyoru posted:

I'm probably gonna do Undernauts first but I should ask: Saviors/Stranger revisited, is that better on PC or Switch?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Shouldn't matter just preference if you want portability
edit: Switch version doesn't support custom portraits. PC version of both basegame and Revisited have custom PNG support:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/409890/discussions/0/357288572119624618/
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1363840/discussions/2/5506189390978024391/

SotS: Revisited is a standalone expansion with new classes and dungeons
http://vita.drpg-sosc.com/information/changes-in-soscr.html

The original SotS had a slightly different endgame layout depending on the platform you played it on.

Xbox/PC: White Palace dungeon layout / Minotaur? boss
Vita: Black Palace dungeon layout / Giant? boss

I played the base game originally on Vita. I believe all localized versions of the SoSW + SotS: Revisited bundle are based on the White Palace version. There was a Vita release of Revisited, but the Vita store is dead. The game also has 3 branching endings depending on which faction you align with (well 6 endings if you extrapolate it to White Palace vs Black Palace)

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 12, 2023

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
There's a game called Sol Trigger for the PSP that is kind of like a dungeon crawler in combat, but third person camera when running around. It got a fan translation at some point but I don't know if it ever finished. Anyway, it's not a bad pickup either.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Levantine posted:

Etrian Odyssey got brought up a few posts ago; any word on whether the later games will be ported to modern console/PC?

No word as far as I know. I think Atlus would also prioritize SMT IV/A and both Persona Q Labyrinth games. After the latter they would be familiar with porting 3DS games with that engine, so who knows?

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 12, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

etrian odyssey HD sold above their expectations so i assume they'll be working on getting more EO stuff out

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

No word as far as I know. I think Atlus would also prioritize SMT IV/A and both Persona Q Labyrinth games. After the latter they would be familiar with porting 3DS games with that engine, so who knows?

I will buy SMT: Strange Journey a third time, just let me do it atlus

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

StrixNebulosa posted:

I will buy SMT: Strange Journey a third time, just let me do it atlus

No matter how ill-advised, I would almost certainly do so for most of my 3DS library as well.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So Humble Bundle's got a Bandai Namco bundle that includes Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition, .hack//G.U. Last Recode, as well a coupon for 25% off Tales of Arise.

I thought about picking up the bundle, but it occurred to me that really don't know a whole lot about the Tales series. The only one I ever played was Tales of Phantasia on GBA, but I never finished it. I picked up Tales of Symphonia on Steam, because I remember when it came out for GameCube, but I remember that the PC port had issues, and I don't know if they ever got fixed. I got Tales of Berseria gifted to me from someone.

I took a look at the list of Tales games, and I'm surprised how many there were: Destiny, Eternia, Rebirth, Legendia, Abyss, Tempest, Innocence, Hearts, Graces, Xillia, and Zesteria; not to mention direct sequels to some, as well as some spinoffs.

Are there specific games or releases that are worth playing/avoiding? For Phantasia, I know there's a PS1 version that has an fan translation, and I've been meaning to play it. For Symphonia, I thought maybe if the PC port didn't work, I could emulate the GameCube version, though I know there was a PS2 version that added some extra stuff (though I remember hearing that version also had issues). Past that, though, I don't really know what to look to. I saw that Tales of Destiny got a remake for PS2, and that Graces got a PS3 release (Tales of Grace f). It looks like a lot of them got released for DS, and there was one that didn't get released stateside.

-

I'm also a little curious about .hack//G.U. Last Recode. I read the LP covering the first series (Infection, Mutation, Outbreak, Quarantine), but I don't remember a whole lot from it. I didn't know there was a second series, and I don't know if you need to remember what happens in the first to follow what happens in the second. From a quick look on Wikipedia, it sounds like G.U. got kind of a lukewarm reception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Eternia is the best tales game. Abyss is also very good.