Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I've still not seen Heat. Should I watch Heat? I know that shootout is cool, but is the rest of the movie any good?

it's a good heist movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I've still not seen Heat. Should I watch Heat? I know that shootout is cool, but is the rest of the movie any good?

if you have to ask maybe it's not for you. just continue on having not seen it, op

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

down n out posted:

I got my first noise complaint watching Heat in a small apartment with newly bought surround sound.

I watched Heat for the first time a few weekends ago. I dunno if it’s an issue with the Netflix copy, or that’s just how it’s mixed, but the dialogue and music are abnormally quiet. Turning my volume to 20 is usually verging on too loud, but for Heat I had to have it up in the 60s just to hear what everyone was saying. Then that initial car heist happens and it is at… extremely full volume. I spent the rest of the movie with my finger on the volume buttons in a state of readiness, terrified if I failed to quickly react the mom and her kids upstairs were all gonna starting firing down through the ceiling at me in reprisal. Imagine getting merc’d by a four year old over Al Pacino’s unbridled rear end enthusiasm. Real edge of your seat film experience.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Also, 5/5 movie. Can’t believe I waited this long to get into Michael Mann.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

mysterious frankie posted:

Also, 5/5 movie. Can’t believe I waited this long to get into Michael Mann.

Here's your "Absolutely must loving watch list"

Collateral
Last of the Mohicans
Thief
And at least the pilot of Miami Vice. I also liked the movie, but a lot of people didn't

After that:
Manhunter: I think it was way better than Red Dragon, 80's as gently caress.
Ali: Good, but not great.
Public Enemies: Good, but not great, I didn't like the digital look of the film in parts.
The Insider: I think it was good, but I don't remember much about it, so take that as you will.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Hot take, the Miami Vice movie is way better than people remember. The end shootout rules

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

AFewBricksShy posted:

After that:

I mean, yeah. Nobody would even question that

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

AFewBricksShy posted:

Here's your "Absolutely must loving watch list"

Collateral
Last of the Mohicans
Thief
And at least the pilot of Miami Vice. I also liked the movie, but a lot of people didn't

After that:
Ali: Good, but not great.
Public Enemies: Good, but not great, I didn't like the digital look of the film in parts.
The Insider: I think it was good, but I don't remember much about it, so take that as you will.

I’ve actually been on a Michael Mann kick since listening to the Video Archives episode about The Keep. I’ve seen all his movies up to Heat and bought the Miami Vice blu ray set when it was on sale for $20 (been watching an episode a night mon-thurs and just finished season one yesterday). I mean to continue watching the rest of his filmography once October is over (weekends are given over mainly to horror for the time being).

I think Last of the Mohicans was my least favorite so far because it was the most “normal”. It felt like a purely technical exercise on Mann’s part, like he was only there to learn how to make a proper Hollywood blockbuster, and the skills he gained from faithfully creating a by the numbers sweeping epic summer tentpole flick he used to make Heat. I didn’t hate it, but I didn’t love it.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I mean, yeah. Nobody would even question that

Manhunter was tremendous.Thief is still my favorite, Heat was the most fun and the one I’d most likely watch again, but Manhunter was wild. He has, at least in his early career, such a skill at reproducing the reality breaking nature of an extremely violent or otherwise traumatic event with his visuals and sound design, and Manhunter was especially effective in that regard. Encountering The Tooth Fairy in full berserk mode was like getting in a car accident; time slows down or warps, action becomes blurry and smeared, frames drop so that he randomly seems to teleport half an inch toward his object of desire, the sound gets echoey and overwhelming, etc. Nothing supernatural is happening, but it feels so otherworldly and wrong.

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 12, 2023

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

I watched Heat for the first time a few weekends ago. I dunno if it’s an issue with the Netflix copy, or that’s just how it’s mixed, but the dialogue and music are abnormally quiet. Turning my volume to 20 is usually verging on too loud, but for Heat I had to have it up in the 60s just to hear what everyone was saying. Then that initial car heist happens and it is at… extremely full volume. I spent the rest of the movie with my finger on the volume buttons in a state of readiness, terrified if I failed to quickly react the mom and her kids upstairs were all gonna starting firing down through the ceiling at me in reprisal. Imagine getting merc’d by a four year old over Al Pacino’s unbridled rear end enthusiasm. Real edge of your seat film experience.

That was an intentional audio mixing choice. Makes the gunfire/other loud noises way more intense

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

I have to more than double the volume with anything on Netflix compared to any other app on my TV.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Roundup Ready posted:

That was an intentional audio mixing choice. Makes the gunfire/other loud noises way more intense

Right; it's been this way on type of every media I've watched it on, and I've watched it on all of them.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I think Last of the Mohicans was my least favorite so far because it was the most “normal”. It felt like a purely technical exercise on Mann’s part, like he was only there to learn how to make a proper Hollywood blockbuster, and the skills he gained from faithfully creating a by the numbers sweeping epic summer tentpole flick he used to make Heat. I didn’t hate it, but I didn’t love it.

It is definitely not nearly as stylish as his others, but those last 10 minutes are just perfection in cinematography, editing, and scoring.

Also he was apparently an rear end during filming, I liked this from IMDB's trivia:

quote:

Many long nights were spent filming the siege scenes. Loudspeakers were installed around the battlefield and fort so directions could easily be given to the hundreds of cast and crew. One night after many long hours, Mann shouted over the speakers, "What's that orange light? Turn out that orange light!" After a pause, another voice came over the speakers saying, "That's the SUN, Michael."

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
it might be recency bias cause i just saw these both for the first time in the past year but i think thief and manhunter are in my top 3 mann films along with heat

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Torquemada posted:

Right; it's been this way on type of every media I've watched it on, and I've watched it on all of them.

I sort of figured it was intentional, and it does work. The action is loud and punchy, and the dialogue during quiet parts is sunk into the oozing, atmospheric soundtrack, which makes them feel like dreamy respites from the chaos. But man, they need to release an Apartment Dweller Edition with a less dynamic sound mix. And don’t tell me to watch it with headphones. I like Mann’s movies, but not enough to suffer permanent hearing loss.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Rewatched Collateral the other day, still holds up great with peak Foxx & Cruise. It’s great on rewatches to pick up on how Cruise’s hitman is talented but makes a lot of mistakes like on the first hit where he has the element of surprise, botches it so body goes out the window & Foxx is alerted.

It was fascinating too to realize Cruise’s plan kinda makes sense and there is mention it worked in another city, but how weird it is that he sticks to riding in the cab even after Foxx knows what is going on, and they address that in how Cruise has problems adapting to his detriment. Like how going face to face with the jazz club owner did work but that’s a stupid plan for the Korean nightclub & while it works he comes super close to being killed.

One minor quibble is the ending doesn’t quite keep up the atmosphere & energy. They’re out of the cab & mostly running around an empty building not talking to each other, not a dealbreaker & but Jada Pinkett Smith doesn’t have much to do than be the damsel in distress

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Roundup Ready posted:

The sound is so good. The gunfire during the armored car robbery is just so loud and intense and sudden.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."

Torquemada posted:

Afterwards, you'll want to watch 'Charley Varrick' and 'The Outfit'.

Seconding these recommendations. The Outfit is one of my favorite crime films and Point Blank is a tour de force.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

says a lot about the American voice acting industry when one of its most revered is making so little, he's visibly missing teeth

bums me out, man. batman deserves good dental care.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

AFewBricksShy posted:

It is definitely not nearly as stylish as his others, but those last 10 minutes are just perfection in cinematography, editing, and scoring.

Also he was apparently an rear end during filming, I liked this from IMDB's trivia:

That quote is great.

I did like the ending. The film is shot like such a soaring historical adventure, but in the end nothing is gained and everyone is sort of worse off (or dead) for having been involved.

The very beginning is good too because Jared Harris is there.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I like the Miami Vice movie and reccomend it as a good time but don't watch the directors cut version if you can avoid it. It fucks up the pacing of a few scenes imo and adds in a few bits that were cut with good reason.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Rewatched Collateral the other day, still holds up great with peak Foxx & Cruise. It’s great on rewatches to pick up on how Cruise’s hitman is talented but makes a lot of mistakes like on the first hit where he has the element of surprise, botches it so body goes out the window & Foxx is alerted.

It was fascinating too to realize Cruise’s plan kinda makes sense and there is mention it worked in another city, but how weird it is that he sticks to riding in the cab even after Foxx knows what is going on, and they address that in how Cruise has problems adapting to his detriment. Like how going face to face with the jazz club owner did work but that’s a stupid plan for the Korean nightclub & while it works he comes super close to being killed.

One minor quibble is the ending doesn’t quite keep up the atmosphere & energy. They’re out of the cab & mostly running around an empty building not talking to each other, not a dealbreaker & but Jada Pinkett Smith doesn’t have much to do than be the damsel in distress

It's why he gets killed by Foxx at the end: Cruise's muscle-memory is to shoot the middle of the targets torso and his shots hit the middle of the subway door, while Foxx shoots kinda wild and manages to hit him.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I like the Miami Vice movie and reccomend it as a good time but don't watch the directors cut version if you can avoid it. It fucks up the pacing of a few scenes imo and adds in a few bits that were cut with good reason.

most directors cuts are a step back from the theatrical. i cant think of any that arent except maybe blade runner?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

hey homie. is that my briefcase?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Tumble posted:

It's why he gets killed by Foxx at the end: Cruise's muscle-memory is to shoot the middle of the targets torso and his shots hit the middle of the subway door, while Foxx shoots kinda wild and manages to hit him.

100% that owned

Cactus Ghost posted:

hey homie. is that my briefcase?

One of the finest one scene jerks in cinema. It’s interesting on rewatch how at first Vincent bothering to retrieve Max’s wallet seems like a tiny charming thing to do to calm down Max & build trust, but also when Max is found dead Vincent would want for it to be easy to identify him & if the cops wonder why a super assassin lost his wallet to muggers it could hurt the plan.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

100% that owned

One of the finest one scene jerks in cinema. It’s interesting on rewatch how at first Vincent bothering to retrieve Max’s wallet seems like a tiny charming thing to do to calm down Max & build trust, but also when Max is found dead Vincent would want for it to be easy to identify him & if the cops wonder why a super assassin lost his wallet to muggers it could hurt the plan.

I mean maybe not, the cops were super interested in doing little as possible except Hulk. Hell, that almost seems a plothole; Hulk mentions that someone did it in Oakland prior and I couldn't imagine vincent doing it just to randos except maybe as a proof of concept? So someone drives around icing valuable targets and nobody thinks it's odd?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's an awesome movie btw. It's one of those movies where you realize oh yeah, I guess Tom Cruise actually can act

Kurash
May 12, 2008

Not a heist movie but definitely in the crime thriller vein, I'm wondering how other people feel about Ridley Scott's "Black Rain" from 1989 starring Michael Douglas. My oldest brother sat me down for a bit of a movie binge shortly before he passed and while some of them were... certainly interesting (I could only describe 1984's Cloak and Dagger as actively damaging for a child to watch, as my brother did) but they were all clearly very important to him.

Black Rain is a very very slick movie, but middle of the road in a lot of ways and Michael Douglas's detective does little to rise above his 'barbaric gaijin' character. Reading some of the behind the scenes stuff it kinda felt clear that Scott didn't get to make quite the film he wanted. I certainly enjoyed it though

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

thathonkey posted:

robert pattinson as batman was the only good part about that movie

I’m Patman.

sad question
May 30, 2020

thathonkey posted:

most directors cuts are a step back from the theatrical. i cant think of any that arent except maybe blade runner?

Kingdom of Heaven DC makes it into a rad movie

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

sad question posted:

Kingdom of Heaven DC makes it into a rad movie

Apparently I'm exceptionally lucky to have only seen the directors cut, because it's apparently a completely different film. I'm exceptionally well disposed towards it, and need no excuse to rewatch it.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

thathonkey posted:

Dark City. Unlike the theatrical cut it doesn’t just blurt out the entire loving plot in the first 10 seconds

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I'd stand my ground against Val Killmore and make him wear a dress to re-enact Willow.

He'd probably shoot me though when he realizes his head is too big to fit the neck.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Torquemada posted:

Apparently I'm exceptionally lucky to have only seen the directors cut, because it's apparently a completely different film. I'm exceptionally well disposed towards it, and need no excuse to rewatch it.

I’ve only see the theatrical cut, like a billion years ago. I remember a massive battle scene where two huge armies of extras ran at each other and right at the point of impact it cuts away.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

thathonkey posted:

The directors cut of Spawn is a less bad movie but still not a good one. Some of the alternate cuts of The Wild Bunch are better than others, but I'm not sure if it's clear which one is definitive anyway. Not too many others beyond the ones mentioned that I can think of tho for sure.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

Dark City. Unlike the theatrical cut it doesn’t just blurt out the entire loving plot in the first 10 seconds

Oh yeah I was lucky to see that cold & enjoyed it, didn’t know I’d picked the right version until looking up info afterwards. It wasn’t a version thing but had similar experience with Matrix, lucky enough to know nothing about the plot other than hearing it was good so picked it up at Blockbuster.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Just watched The Outfit and Good Time, good stuff. Post more good movies from the last 10 years I haven’t heard about.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

thathonkey posted:

Kingdom of Heaven's is excellent.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

thathonkey posted:

it might be recency bias cause i just saw these both for the first time in the past year but i think thief and manhunter are in my top 3 mann films along with heat

I just put on Thief last night and holy poo poo this movie is very good, I cannot believe I have been without it

It's James Caan at the center of a beautifully shot, compelling crime drama

I was sold just at the intro

e. and right now, I am streaming Over The Top. I give, and I take away

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Miami Vice is a great (not Heat good but still well worth watching) and had an incredible trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WCKJ7KaIZY

Just pure GTA the video game energy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Maybe I'll rewatch Miami Vice tonight. I saw it in theatres when I was a huge gun nut/armchair general and I remember it getting my rocks off with all the Michael Mann gun porn but I feel like rewatching it today it might all be a little cringe. The scene where the female SWAT member describes how she's going to shoot the hostage taker before he can trigger the explosive in particular was a bit hamfisted; SWAT operators don't do that, they just loving shoot you. And doesn't the climactic gun battle end with Colin Farrell literally doing a backflip whilst firing a shotgun? That's not in the training.

As an aside though, Farrell is a loving excellent actor. I just rewatched Minority Report last night; he legit stole the show in that one (not an easy task with that stacked cast).

Wifi Toilet posted:

Just watched The Outfit and Good Time, good stuff. Post more good movies from the last 10 years I haven’t heard about.

Good Time was legit one of the most stressful movies I've ever seen in theatres. We were supposed to go see a Star War, but ended up going into this movie blind and it was such a good decision. The scene where they dose the guy with WAY too much acid had us screaming in our seats, and Connie hitting on the underage girl was so skeevy. I mean, the whole movie is a clinic "am I supposed to like this rear end in a top hat? He sucks." Excellent casting, costume design and makeup too - everyone in that movie just looks so fuckin' greasy.