Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I don't really like trains, but that one is nice. The blue and gold looks good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

mutata posted:

I do not see that slide in that link, heh.
Ha! You're right, it's been removed. That link went specifically to the page it was on, and that image is a screen capture. Guess it was live for about an hour, hour and a half before someone caught and removed it.

edit: and by removing it, they also removed the Concorde, since it shared a spread.

I feel obligated to post this to prove I am not the source of a leak or something - this was straight-up on LEGO's official website.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 11, 2023

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
So you are a MOC champion and a hacker, too. What else can you do?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Carbs has developed immunity from all allergies and produces enough Vitamin C to power 3 orange groves

Yes, that's how orange trees work. Don't question it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That Adults catalog freaked me out because I thought it was like a PDF and didn’t realize some of the pages had video and started moving.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
This Lego Masters competitor wrote about how her ADHD connects to being an AFOL.
https://bricknerd.com/home/how-lego-and-adhd-got-me-on-tv-9-15-22

It lot of it sounds really familiar to me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

deoju posted:

This Lego Masters competitor wrote about how her ADHD connects to being an AFOL.
https://bricknerd.com/home/how-lego-and-adhd-got-me-on-tv-9-15-22

It lot of it sounds really familiar to me.

My friend’s wife posts a lot of adhd memes on FB and it starts becoming a bit :stonklol: as they seem eerily familiar.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
The Orient Express looks good but I'm really not a fan of the engine and coaches all being the same colour. It doesn't look as bad as the Harry Potter train with its eye searing all red, but I'm gonna need to see some more pictures for what should have been an insta buy for me. Including two coaches is a welcome change though.

e: actually I take it back, the coaches look good but the engine is pretty whack, seems really out of proportions.
I don't know if they're basing it on any real locomotive, but the wheels are tiny. I'm sure there'll be some fantastic mods and mocs that come from it though, and I do like those coaches very much.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 11, 2023

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Okay, Nook was right and Bunnie is a bun, so far so good...

Julien the unicorn? Rosie the... deer? gently caress it, I'm never gonna remember this, just gonna call it Fabuland 2 and refer to animals by apparent species.
If it makes you feel better, the deer is actually named Fauna. Rosie is a cat.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Well Lego seems to have got their pandemic shipping issues fixed. And have opened a shipping center in California.

My order placed 9pm on the the 9th arrived at 3pm on the 11th. 42 hours from order to reception. I approve.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
That Orient Express is disappointing after seeing what the Ideas entry was. It just looks like a recolored version of the Hogwarts Express sets they've been churning out for a decade with an extra carriage.

I kinda feel like the LEGO trains fans ruined it by throwing a loving hissy fit when the UCS Hogwarts Express wasn't on the same scale as every other train LEGO has made. I get the complaint, but at the same time, bigger model = more details, and I'm not going to complain about that. poo poo, how many cars and planes and boats have been released that aren't minifig scale, so what's the big deal? I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Lego just needs to do a set of trucks that fits o-Gage rails

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Tex Avery posted:

That Orient Express is disappointing after seeing what the Ideas entry was. It just looks like a recolored version of the Hogwarts Express sets they've been churning out for a decade with an extra carriage.

I kinda feel like the LEGO trains fans ruined it by throwing a loving hissy fit when the UCS Hogwarts Express wasn't on the same scale as every other train LEGO has made. I get the complaint, but at the same time, bigger model = more details, and I'm not going to complain about that. poo poo, how many cars and planes and boats have been released that aren't minifig scale, so what's the big deal? I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.

Fitting the rails system is no impediment to detail. The engine's just poorly proportioned.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Yeah the engine needed to be the star, it looks like an afterthought.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also 80% of the two passenger cars are going to be identical builds, even if they have completely different interiors. Hard to avoid in a passenger train but still.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Like I'm assuming this is what they were going for.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
They all just look like generic trains to me. This is like when the aeronautics thread goes on two page derails about 737 variants and you have to study a picture for three days just to kinda discern one or two small minute differences.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They all just look like generic trains to me. This is like when the aeronautics thread goes on two page derails about 737 variants and you have to study a picture for three days just to kinda discern one or two small minute differences.

K, so the wheels are tiny and the boiler (the big cylinder that makes up most of the train) and the cab are chunky as hell. The coal tender isn't great either.

There's plenty of MOCs that get proportions nice (with the usual caveat about MOCs not needing to adhere to lego standards) and can run on rails.

This is a different engine, but it's the same wheel configuration.

e: that said, the Emerald Night was a bit off as well and that was an excellent base for making your own stuff. I'd still be interested in the Orient for the same reason.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 12, 2023

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

HootTheOwl posted:

Lego needs to make rolling rail so you can actually have your expensive model run without an embarrassing circle of track.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Not too hard. :goonsay:

Little engines = old and big noise, very rare nowadays.
Slightly bigger engines = 737NG, not a 737 MAX.
Engines that barely clear the ground = 737 MAX.
Doesn't have a pointy nose = it's probably an Airbus. :v:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

Oh, that makes me think they should do n-gauge, microscale trains.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Speaking of guages, I picked up the retired F-40 Speed Champions on Amazon since I had a gift card and figured, "why not?"

Didn't realize it was a 6 wide. Not sure if I want to build it and put it in the collection or resell it :(

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Someone posted this for sale

…the set came out in 2019. How is it even possible to be that damaged already?

Oh god that’s not sun damage it’s from cigarettes isn’t it

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

White is a bad color that fades no matter what. My Saturn v was kept out of the sun and most of it is white but about a third of the exterior, all in random spots, have yellowed. Not that bad but it's not a clean white rocket anymore.

I assume that extreme example was left in direct sun or they're a smoker or something. Or maybe the bricks made that day are just messed up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have all white sets from 2012 that aren't 1/5th that yellow so yeah, they probably left in direct sunlight every day or were chain smoking next to it for 5 years. Guess it could just be a bad run of bricks though.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I do find the yellowing issue to be off-putting.

Lego is expensive and the idea that the Concord will one day be a creamy yellow doesn't make me any happier about spending the money on it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Doesn’t just happen to white, either, the gray bits on my 787 all have a brownish tinge now.

It’s honestly amazing to put the 787 and the Concorde side by side and see the progress in model engineering. 15 years makes a hell of a difference. If I’m Boeing I’m back on the horn to ask for a proper SNOT-based 747. I don’t care if it’ll cost $500, I’d probably buy it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I wonder if there’s something going on with plastic generally. New, modern Transformers are starting to yellow all over the place now, even some found on opening.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

The_Doctor posted:

I wonder if there’s something going on with plastic generally. New, modern Transformers are starting to yellow all over the place now, even some found on opening.

I still have original 80s transformers that didn't yellow

Probably either cheaping out or these old toys are all full of bonus carcinogens

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I just ordered a bunch of replacement white pieces for the yellowing bits of my Deep Freeze Defender. Even then, some of the parts are only available in old yellowing versions. I did the hydrogen peroxide and UV light thing in 2020, but they're yellowing again already. I should try again but with actual UV lights instead of just using the sun.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Peroxide bleaching is temporary. It'll still turn yellow again

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

I have all white sets from 2012 that aren't 1/5th that yellow so yeah, they probably left in direct sunlight every day or were chain smoking next to it for 5 years. Guess it could just be a bad run of bricks though.
My UCS X-Wing yellowed, and I neither smoke nor played with it in the sun. Like not as bad as that picture above, but still noticeable.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I can't remember where I saw it now but recently someone posted a picture of their Saturn V which had entirely yellowed down one side, despite not being anywhere near direct sunlight.

It was nightmarish.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

mutata posted:

I just ordered a bunch of replacement white pieces for the yellowing bits of my Deep Freeze Defender. Even then, some of the parts are only available in old yellowing versions. I did the hydrogen peroxide and UV light thing in 2020, but they're yellowing again already. I should try again but with actual UV lights instead of just using the sun.

Do you really think a consumer level blacklight is going to be more powerful than the sun?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I wonder if there's a market for Schrodinger's Lego Display Cases.

"Ooh, is the UCS Falcon in there?"

"Maybe! Maybe not!"

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

DrChu posted:

Do you really think a consumer level blacklight is going to be more powerful than the sun?

No but there's probably a chance I can set up a proper 360-degree LED UV curing set up that would be more controllable and even than stuffing all the Legos into a mason jar and sticking it in my rain gutter for half a day.

Plus I live in New England where the sun never shines for longer than an hour at a time.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

Flyinglemur posted:

Speaking of guages, I picked up the retired F-40 Speed Champions on Amazon since I had a gift card and figured, "why not?"

Didn't realize it was a 6 wide. Not sure if I want to build it and put it in the collection or resell it :(

I’m in the market for one of these. What’d you pay if you don’t mind me asking?

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Sunk Dunk posted:

I’m in the market for one of these. What’d you pay if you don’t mind me asking?

I think I picked mine up on Amazon for like 25 bucks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Chris Knight posted:

My UCS X-Wing yellowed, and I neither smoke nor played with it in the sun. Like not as bad as that picture above, but still noticeable.

Yeah that's the set I was actually talking about too. Really my only white set that has shown any yellowing. I bought it used in 2014 and It was already like that when I bought it. I do have a lot of other sets that are mostly white and none of them have yellowed at all. UCS snowspeeder, UCS Hoth Tantive IV, UCS A wing and Shuttle Tyderium all look pristine still and most of them are older than Steamboat Willie. Even with the X-Wing it's not noticeable except under close scrutiny.

I really wonder how much other factors play into it like humidity. I live in a very dry climate and outside of leaving sets in direct sunlight (which I try not to do), yellowing doesn't seem like much of an issue for me. A friend of mine who lives in seattle gave me a VW bus that was on display out there and it was as bad as that Steamboat Willie pic.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

spaced ninja posted:

I think I picked mine up on Amazon for like 25 bucks.

Oh I was thinking of the bigger one, oops