Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Paradoxish posted:

The incredibly depressing and hilarious part is that this is a wealthy district that had a budget specifically for COVID mitigation, they just didn't like the idea of spending a lot of money on "unnecessary" improvements.

I got to hear a school administrator say "will this actually get us back to normal or are we just wasting money on improved air quality?"

Reminds me of that climate change comic about "What if we did a bunch of effort and the result was just a better world" because god forbid we do a thing clearly has value but that ends up not being completely necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
covid mitigation money is for golfing trips, a lot of fresh air there

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

bizwank posted:

Just booked my ¼ POUND PLUS ALL MOTH HOT DOG AND 20 oz. SLUT JUICE (With Refill)

i needed this chuckle today thank you lol

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Ok this is good. Thank you iowacovid19tracker dot org for the most up to date on wastewater info of all possible resources online for Greenville Co SC.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

mdemone posted:

my school has the dough, they shelled out for hospital-grade filtration machines.

no one used them, they stayed in power-down mode ("it's too much NOISE")

so I took three of them for my own classroom and I run those fuckers at a useful setting

... did they just take them and put them on the max setting without even considering that a lower one is fine? I checked one model with UV-C and an activated carbon filter and the second highest setting has slightly higher cfm and lower noise than the max on a comparable Levoit. Yes I realize logic doesn't factor into these kinds of decisions.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

eXXon posted:

... did they just take them and put them on the max setting without even considering that a lower one is fine? I checked one model with UV-C and an activated carbon filter and the second highest setting has slightly higher cfm and lower noise than the max on a comparable Levoit. Yes I realize logic doesn't factor into these kinds of decisions.

the noise factor is very real but yeah also lol ANY FILTRATION is better than zero, just turn the fan down!

that said the variation between units, where you set them up (vibrations from the fan will resonate and amplify through hollow or "flimsier" materials), etc can be crazy.

in my shop I have a Filtrete Tower extra large size and it is loving louuuuud except on the lowest setting. My Levoit C400 at home has better CADR and is nearly silent on everything except for the highest setting.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

this type of thing has happened before and it's always the chiropractors and naturopaths, sometimes dentists

quote:

In July 2023 the Chiropractic Quality Assurance Commission and Michael John Motel (CH60544585) entered an Agreed Order on his chiropractor license. Motel must complete: four hours of continuing education in the areas of respiratory infections and compliance with COVID protocols; a jurisprudence examination; and an ethics assessment. Motel must write a 500-word report explaining what he learned from the four hours of continuing education. He must also pay a $2,500 fine.
https://doh.wa.gov/newsroom/state-disciplines-health-care-providers-276

enjoy your homework Mr Motel

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol there was another posted few days ago

quote:

In July 2023 the Chiropractic Quality Assurance Commission and chiropractor Rodney Joe Dahlinger (CH00002482) entered an Agreed Order. Dahlinger must pay a fine of $4,000, submit a copy of his COVID-19 Compliance Plan, submit an essay on the importance of infectious disease protocols in a chiropractic clinic, and pass a jurisprudence examination. Between August 2020 and February 2021, the COVID-19 mask mandates were not followed in Dahlinger’s chiropractic clinic.
https://doh.wa.gov/newsroom/state-disciplines-health-care-providers-275

what's with the essays??

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
essays and a slap on the loving wrist fine? that's not even a week of revenue for a single chiro

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Finally got an appointment! Thank you!

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Ok this is good. Thank you iowacovid19tracker dot org for the most up to date on wastewater info of all possible resources online for Greenville Co SC.

I'm starting to get the suspicion that nothing short of realtime updates is going to be good enough to satisfy you. Sorry it never existed. Maybe someone else reading this exchange will have found the context or info interesting.

Feste
Apr 7, 2009

Thank you so much for sharing!

Was able to get my wholesale immunization as a walk-in today.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Zantie posted:

I'm starting to get the suspicion that nothing short of realtime updates is going to be good enough to satisfy you. Sorry it never existed. Maybe someone else reading this exchange will have found the context or info interesting.

I was being sincere? and making a joke about this should be very easy to find on scdhec's webpage or something instead of iowacovid19tracker or whatever.

In other news
:)

Date: Oct 16

Time: 4:30 PM

Service: COVID - Novavax (Age 12+),Vaccine - Flu Shot (Standard)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Zantie posted:

he was just bein tongue in cheek about a completely unrelated other state's facilities maintaining better data on SC than their own

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

eXXon posted:

any level of noise was too much for some teachers to bear. their machines sit silent even unto this day.

there are 12 distinct settings on the device. each device cost in excess of $10k.

on the 75% setting which I use, it hauls air like a motherfucker. Probably several ACH per device and I'm running three.

Swap_File
Nov 24, 2004
WIN386.SWP

Coldrice posted:

Finally got an appointment! Thank you!

Thanks for the heads up.

I called my local Costco to verify Novavax availability, and they said to just walk in, no appointment needed. I was in and out in 20 minutes.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
drat I should have waited a few more days for the moth juice. Looks like the rollout is going much better than the mRNA one.

Does Costco take the bridge program?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Zantie posted:

???

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

I was being sincere? and making a joke about this should be very easy to find on scdhec's webpage or something instead of iowacovid19tracker or whatever.

In other news
:)

Date: Oct 16

Time: 4:30 PM

Service: COVID - Novavax (Age 12+),Vaccine - Flu Shot (Standard)

I failed to get the humor since I've been trying to help you with context and info since yesterday as you seemed upset as to why the Verily wastewater data isn't updated for new sites. Normal sampling takes time to be processed and updated online, usually around 10 days. Things get really lagged when methods and labs change.

That's why I said "I know it says Iowa" because I get the whole situation is ridiculous and I didn't want you ignoring it thinking it wouldn't be relevant. This whole exchange has come across to me like nothing I could provide or explain would be good enough so I should stop trying and let you be mad and let other people think the bulk of wastewater data isn't coming back.

[Edit] glad you could get Novavax, that is happier news

Zantie has issued a correction as of 19:25 on Oct 12, 2023

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!
what is all this novavax talk , i assumed this wasnt a thing americans could get

did me and my family get the wrong booster (pfizer)

am i going out like stan chera

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

I just want mothman juice so my vaccine induced fever dreams will be cooler.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

tenderjerk posted:

what is all this novavax talk , i assumed this wasnt a thing americans could get

I'm going for it because of mRNA side effects, but if you don't get bad side effects there's no reason not to take the Pfizer. My kid got pfizer last week and had literally no reaction so it's just down to what your body does.

Alcoholism and probably a couple bouts of COVID have put my uncle in hospice with dead kidneys. RIP, everything is such a waste. e: Jesus Christ he's only 68. Never even got to retire.

Strep Vote has issued a correction as of 19:41 on Oct 12, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

tenderjerk posted:

Pfizer and Moderna should be fine for now Since they are targeted towards the variants that are circulating

might be a different story a few months from now When a new variant comes on the scene, but by then you can probably get Covid shots whenever you feel like it out of your own pocket

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Strep Vote posted:

Alcoholism and probably a couple bouts of COVID have put my uncle in hospice with dead kidneys. RIP, everything is such a waste. e: Jesus Christ he's only 68. Never even got to retire.

Not getting to retire is icing on a lovely cake :smith:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
so my current plan is to get a Covid vaccine every 6 months 1) because new variants are constantly coming and 2) I’m assuming these 2023 vaccines wane like the old ones

assuming my insurance covers one Covid vaccine a year I guess I’ll pay the other one out of pocket

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Weren't IMHE's stats all hosed up?

:blessed: PBUC

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Weren't IMHE's stats all hosed up?

:blessed: PBUC

yes. but in this case it looks like they were "hosed up" consistently enough, hosed up in the same way for a long enough period of time, to make the comparison/correlation he's working towards relevant.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Steve Yun posted:

they are targeted towards the variants that are circulating

lol good one

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10168603/

this has total deaths for 2022 at 3,273,705, which is ~8970 a day, which is pretty elevated from the prepandemic norm of ~7700 a day

It's hard to find total weekly deaths for the US for more recent periods and the excess mortality statistics are useless

Does this help at all? https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#trends_totaldeaths_select_00

Hospital systems are still required to submit daily data to NSHN (which feeds CDC) that includes Covid deaths. I'm not sure if NHSN also collects data from county/state health departments to fill in the gaps for folks who didn't die in a hospital/LTC setting. :shrug:

Edit: looks like the footnotes explain they now use a different source for the death data. I'd imagine this would include county/state health depts: "Provisional data are non-final counts of deaths based on the flow of mortality data in NVSS. Deaths include those with COVID-19, coded to ICD–10 code U07.1, as an underlying or contributing cause of death on the death certificate. Death data are displayed by date of death (event). This is a change from the surveillance data used previously in COVID Data Tracker which were displayed by date of report. Number of deaths reported in this file are the total number of COVID-19 deaths received and coded as of the date of analysis and may not represent all deaths that occurred in that period. Counts of deaths with dates of death occurring before or after the reporting period are not included in the file. "

Fireside Nut has issued a correction as of 20:31 on Oct 12, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Platystemon posted:

lol good one

ok targeted at the parent of the currently circulating variants

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
anyone have handy the study that showed how effective the xbb1.5 vaccines were against XBB descended variants

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Steve Yun posted:

so my current plan is to get a Covid vaccine every 6 months 1) because new variants are constantly coming and 2) I’m assuming these 2023 vaccines wane like the old ones

assuming my insurance covers one Covid vaccine a year I guess I’ll pay the other one out of pocket

Are the boosters approved under EAU approval or full approval? Because I'm wondering if we'll be able to get extra boosters even if we're willing to pay if it's just EAU approval.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Steve Yun posted:

ok targeted at the parent of the currently circulating variants

See, if we’d just kept it up with the wildtype juice, this would be true, but we’d be destroyed.

It’s not actually true that the current shots are targeted at an ancestor of current major circulating strains. XBB.1.16 and XBB.2.3 are obvious counterexamples. EG.5 and HV.1 descend from XBB.1.9.

Per latest CDC estimates, that’s more than four out of five U.S. infections not descended from XBB.1.5.

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022
There is no longer a public health emergency and please make use of these emergency only authorized tools that you don't have access to thank you

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
it's theoretically possible that at least one human might have the need and means to use the tools, therefore everything is fine

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
*sigh*

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Gunshow Poophole posted:

yes. but in this case it looks like they were "hosed up" consistently enough, hosed up in the same way for a long enough period of time, to make the comparison/correlation he's working towards relevant.

is that how statistics work???

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Don’t you love the era of personal public health decisions?

quote:

Asked to not mask at work (self.Masks4All)

My title says it all, and I can’t afford to quit.

Context: I work in a very small school in the EU and wanted to continue masking at work, despite knowing that it might be outside of the cultural norm.

My boss said they’ll open all windows for me and that I can socially distance bc I’m working in a school, but without a mask.

I feel really uncomfortable but I’m not sure how to navigate the situation.

I’m still going to mask and keep safe outside of work because I’m just so used to protecting myself in that way.

Ultimately, what are things I can do to stay safe at work, given my situation?

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
if you get Covid it’s a personal failing but also you can’t take precautions it might make others uncomfortable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

is that how statistics work???

kind of? like for climate monitoring, if you have a base station that consistently reads two degrees warmer than it should, you can correct for it. correlation coefficients don't care about the magnitude of the values