Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Splorange posted:

What the gently caress would anyone want St Petersburg for.. much less the area between Finland and St Petersburg.

The only winners would be russians who might get that sweet welfare state instead of cleptocracy.

A forward operating base to lob shitillery (artillery filled with poo poo) at Putin’s head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Splorange posted:

What the gently caress would anyone want St Petersburg for.. much less the area between Finland and St Petersburg.

Every day Finns wake up and their first thoughts are of Viipuri

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Charlz Guybon posted:

There's no way they would dare. So much of the Russian army is in Ukraine or dead that the Finns could waltz in and seize St. Petersburg if war broke out.

I mean, we're not starting a shooting war with Russia unless they literally shell one of our cities or something. And even then not one of the lovely ones like Helsinki, but one of the ones everyone loves, like Turku.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
The population of the entire country of Finland is approx 5 million, while the population of St Pete the city is about 5 million, so I'm not sure exactly how the logistics of Finland conquering it would work in practice

In unrelated news, Putin is a huge piece of poo poo

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

jaete posted:

The population of the entire country of Finland is approx 5 million, while the population of St Pete the city is about 5 million, so I'm not sure exactly how the logistics of Finland conquering it would work in practice

The logistics would be that the people of st. Petersburg would look at columns of finnish vehicles and go "new boss, same as old boss", then carry on.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Read a delightful twitter thread earlier today about how Russia's economy is actually out performing pre war economy.

Let's see

66% nuking of Rubles value to the Dollar
16% interest rates despite having 5% inflation. Either the inflation state is lying or using high interest rates to make entities buy your currency. Either way lol lmao
Over 50% drop in oil related exports due to...drum roll...sanctions
Refined product refineries are mostly in stand by due to exporting crude oil is more profitable and a loss for refined products.
The reason it's a loss to sell refined products internally is becasuse prices are capped at inflation so very little is being made so there is a diesel/petrol shortage. Nice double own on fudging inflation numbers if that did happen.
China and India buys crude oil at the price they set which is lower than market value. They also pay for it Rupees and Yuen rather than Ruble which would help out a lot. Russia has no choice but to sell to them. BRICS in it together spirit. The best of friends.
Russia had to ban nearly alll of its diesel and pertrol exports due to shortages (refineries not running). This is costing $270m per day in lost revenue. Only Belarus, Armenia (lol), Kazah and one other can import it within limits.
There is currently a year on year deficit which shows no sign of changing by the year out. Russia usually runs in the black and dumps it into soverign wealth fund.
Soverign wealth fund is getting hammered trying to increase the Rubles value (and failing currently) and prop up the economy. Estimates it will run out next year from publically avaliable data.
Lots of cases of the army not being paid.
Health budget is being reduced by around 20ish%
Armed forces budget is increasing. Not to increase production or R&D but it needs to increase to offset 18 months of inflation lmao.
Power of Siberia 2 pipeline being built to China with a flow rate of 10% of Nord Stream buut at a much higher cost.

It does to me look like Russia's economy is stronger than 18 months ago. Don't you agree?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

You’re not factoring in all the owned Libs and stolen terlets

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I wonder what % of GDP stolen washing machines makes up?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Splorange posted:

The only winners would be russians who might get that sweet welfare state instead of cleptocracy.

Channeling Mearsheimer or some similar dipshit:

"It is only understandable that the territory of St. Petersburg and its surroundings should serve as a buffer zone to meet Finland's security needs in the face of Muscovy's expansionist policy, furthermore..."

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 12, 2023

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Tai posted:

Russia had to ban nearly all of its diesel and petrol exports due to shortages (refineries not running).

It does to me look like Russia's economy is stronger than 18 months ago. Don't you agree?

At the rate of Russian armor destruction over the last few days, the need for fuel has lessened. So yes, I agree. The economy is getting stronger.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Looking 12 months, the Russian economy is going to double from the appreciation of interest on bread loans.

The west just doesn't get this one neat trick to boost your revenue

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

A forward operating base to lob shitillery (artillery filled with poo poo) at Putin’s head.

How do you miss "shartillery", smh

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

the popes toes posted:

At the rate of Russian armor destruction over the last few days, the need for fuel has lessened. So yes, I agree. The economy is getting stronger.

Local hegemon discovers one weird trick to reduce carbon emissions!

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Vaginaface posted:

How do you miss "shartillery", smh

Lots & lots of weed

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
The surviving oligarchs are doing much better economically than the ones who are falling out of windows.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If Russia invades it can't be worse pillage than with the current cabinet. :finland:

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Neutrino posted:

The surviving oligarchs are doing much better economically than the ones who are falling out of windows.

Russian physicist calculates that the rate of constant acceleration of a falling oligarch is independent of their weight, kickstarting Russian science into a renaissance.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I mean, we're not starting a shooting war with Russia unless they literally shell one of our cities or something. And even then not one of the lovely ones like Helsinki, but one of the ones everyone loves, like Turku.
:catstare:
Ban this sick filth.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
If Finland is ever invaded I would have to imagine that my country of Sweden and our neighbours Norway and Denmark would immediately join their efforts at the very least

Scandinavia nowadays, despite poking fun of eachother constantly, is really tightly knit together

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Tai posted:

If one squints hard enough so as to only look at the industrial fish cubing and industrial fish cubing accessories sector, then yes. Economically speaking, things are running like a well oiled fish cubing machine.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

jaete posted:

IF, and this is a big IF, we ever would go to a shooting war with Russia and were in a position to advance to make the war about Russia wrecking their own turf, we would at max take the Sortavala-Käkisalmi-Vuoksi river line, maybe Vyborg along with major bodies of water to reduce the length of the front we need to defend at south. and make Russian go over lake Ladoga or River Vuoksi to attack our positions. It is also within the "old Finland" lost after WW2 but this entire scenario is 100% Clancy-chat.

Zzulu posted:

If Finland is ever invaded I would have to imagine that my country of Sweden and our neighbours Norway and Denmark would immediately join their efforts at the very least

Scandinavia nowadays, despite poking fun of eachother constantly, is really tightly knit together

Yes. This was the hopeful strategy even before joining NATO, and now that we all are in (Sweden still in the lobby sorting out their room arrangements) this is what would definitely happen with EU+NATO help or without it. Russia could have a realistic chance to overcome us by sheer numbers had they done their 3-day operation to us instead of Ukraine, but now it is absolutely impossible for them to win this front.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 12, 2023

Horrorosaurus
Oct 22, 2010

jaete posted:

Isn't it more like 7 million? Also, FDF seems to hold the largest artillery in Europe. While I'm not an optimist at all, that in itself might suggest a worth while capacity to defend and counter against the one enemy they've been solely focusing on, like since at least WW2.

I mean you are pointing at the obvious question of logistics and at St petersburg in particular, but even so, let's keep in mind Prigozhin managed quite well with significantly less, lol

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Russia attacking Finland is deep into Clancy Chat. That buildup would be impossible to hide, and it would draw in the entire EU because an incursion into the EU is an existential threat for the vast majority of member countries. The Baltic would get locked down hard, the Russian air force would cease to exist, at least one European nuclear power would be involved…

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

The comedy option being that Germany and others again saying that since they don't trust the Finnish government they will only give us smart weapons that can be used to shoot targets only inside Finland.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Why would they, when they are directly involved? An invasion of an EU member means Germany is at war.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Tai posted:

Read a delightful twitter thread earlier today about how Russia's economy is actually out performing pre war economy.

Let's see

66% nuking of Rubles value to the Dollar
16% interest rates despite having 5% inflation. Either the inflation state is lying or using high interest rates to make entities buy your currency. Either way lol lmao
Over 50% drop in oil related exports due to...drum roll...sanctions
Refined product refineries are mostly in stand by due to exporting crude oil is more profitable and a loss for refined products.
The reason it's a loss to sell refined products internally is becasuse prices are capped at inflation so very little is being made so there is a diesel/petrol shortage. Nice double own on fudging inflation numbers if that did happen.
China and India buys crude oil at the price they set which is lower than market value. They also pay for it Rupees and Yuen rather than Ruble which would help out a lot. Russia has no choice but to sell to them. BRICS in it together spirit. The best of friends.
Russia had to ban nearly alll of its diesel and pertrol exports due to shortages (refineries not running). This is costing $270m per day in lost revenue. Only Belarus, Armenia (lol), Kazah and one other can import it within limits.
There is currently a year on year deficit which shows no sign of changing by the year out. Russia usually runs in the black and dumps it into soverign wealth fund.
Soverign wealth fund is getting hammered trying to increase the Rubles value (and failing currently) and prop up the economy. Estimates it will run out next year from publically avaliable data.
Lots of cases of the army not being paid.
Health budget is being reduced by around 20ish%
Armed forces budget is increasing. Not to increase production or R&D but it needs to increase to offset 18 months of inflation lmao.
Power of Siberia 2 pipeline being built to China with a flow rate of 10% of Nord Stream buut at a much higher cost.

didnt read

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

Why would they, when they are directly involved? An invasion of an EU member means Germany is at war.

Well, comedy option, but A) they do the same to Ukraine that is fighting for its existence and B) so that we don't break something important while defending ourselves so that Russia can sell cheap gas and oil to France and Germany after the war is over.

Personally, seeing how the war in Ukraine started I have no faith in the current German or the French governments to do the right thing, unless they are forced, coaxed or ridiculed to do such things.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 12, 2023

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

That seems more like the "I live in an alternate universe" option.

Again, an invasion of an EU member means at the very least France and Germany and the Benelux are at war.

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023

Der Kyhe posted:

Personally, seeing how the war in Ukraine started I have no faith in the current German or the French governments to do the right thing, unless they are forced, coaxed or ridiculed to do such things.

If you think macron was a milquetoast lib who had to be shamed in front of the class to deliver some Caesars and storm shadows you're gonna loving love how président le Pen handles Russia.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

That seems more like the "I live in an alternate universe" option.

Again, an invasion of an EU member means at the very least France and Germany and the Benelux are at war.

If you think that the way how the French and German governments responded to the invasion didn't put a serious dent or second thoughts to every Russia-bordering EU-member countries head about the security they actually deliver, it is you who lives in the denial, my goon associate.

It isn't by chance that both Finland and Sweden abandoned their "inside EU but outside NATO"-policies.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
This argument is irrelevant because Germany and Finland are both in NATO. The EU thing would be relevant for major military powers like Ireland I guess.

naem
May 29, 2011

aren’t they right now in NATO?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

naem posted:

aren’t they right now in NATO?

Ireland isn't no. I also wouldn't call them a major military power tbh.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

spankmeister posted:

Ireland isn't no. I also wouldn't call them a major military power tbh.

:thejoke:

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
Isn't The Finland just a made up country anyway?

Has anyone ever met a Finn? I haven't

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

RDM posted:

Everyone who has is buried 6 feet down at the border.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

RDM posted:

Finland is just populated by the moomin

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Do we regard Russians who bought cheap houses in Crimea as settlers?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

No serious responses to that question allowed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Glad that one's settled then.