Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AGE had some good music and Asemu was pretty cool. The final fight in the movie between Legelis and Dark Hound is a fun watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I have not watched AGE and nothing anyone can say will convince me to.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

AGE had some good music and Asemu was pretty cool. The final fight in the movie between Legelis and Dark Hound is a fun watch.

Yeah, it absolutely has some good bits! It's not all bad. Which is why I kind of think it's, at best, unmemorable. I'm reacting with "Why, why are people trying to hype it up" not because AGE is incredibly horrible. It's because AGE is, at best, pretty unremarkable as a Gundam Show goes and its bad bits aren't bad enough to talk about.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fivemarks posted:

Yeah, it absolutely has some good bits! It's not all bad. Which is why I kind of think it's, at best, unmemorable. I'm reacting with "Why, why are people trying to hype it up" not because AGE is incredibly horrible. It's because AGE is, at best, pretty unremarkable as a Gundam Show goes and its bad bits aren't bad enough to talk about.

Oh, I think its bad bits are absolutely bad enough to talk about. The many constant failures of writing, rampant sexism, and blatant constant attempts at course correction that just make everything worse are the stuff of legends. It doesn't help that it has a lot of really interesting ideas that it almost-but-not-quite pulls off, including stuff people have been clamoring for like an Oldtype pilot who is able to keep up with Newtypes.

Like part of why I ever bother to discuss Age is that it constantly throughout the runtime finds new ways to gently caress up and it sucks so much that when they condensed it to movies they just went "Let's make it about Asemu, the only part anyone cared about." And even there it fucks up, like the hilarious scene where a beam saber gets broken like a real sword and sticks in the ground.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 12, 2023

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

X-Ray Pecs posted:

G-Saviour defender here, it’s really not terrible! It’s a 90s made-for-TV movie, so if you adjust your expectations to that level, it’s a cheesy fun time with some surprisingly good direction! And I really like the battle scene, the dated CGI and animation works in the favor of the movie to give the giant robots some weight.

Watched last night. People will defend anything. It appears I’m out of good Gundams. Guess I’ll watch Wing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If you haven't watched Wing you haven't run out of good gundams just yet.

Watch it in English for maximum effect.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Justice justice justice justice.

I hope to see you again

e: wait did they take down tl;dw gundam wing? tragedy

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Fivemarks posted:

This yeah. I honestly can't comprehend it- it's not like this is an issue where the climate wasn't right or it had a bad start but got better. AGE just, to me, seemed bad overall with a few good spots that don't make it worthwhile.

Some people just have bad taste

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I will need to watch AGE eventually just so I can more authentically dunk on it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I will need to watch AGE eventually just so I can more authentically dunk on it

It's really not worth it. It's so dull and stupid constantly

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/MON0EYE/status/1712490054633824403?t=S2zE_aFeQ5PbcJ3bVqhNAQ&s=19

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

it sucks that song is neither from fast and furious nor the gundam franchise

you have scores upon scores of bangers to choose from from each and you went with this reddit poo poo shame on you unnamed guy on the internet

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Working through Age with some friends right now and while it feels wrote and laden with tropes it's approximately 10x more comprehensible than the G-Reco movies which we just finished watching in terms of character consistency and motivation. If this is really near the bottom for full gundam series as many polls seem to indicate it could have been much, much worse. Mostly frustrating for wasted potential honestly, although maybe the last 15 episodes are pure trash, we'll see.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Gotta say, "Female characters are only here to breed the next generation" is a pretty loving iffy move. Except for Romary, she gets to redo that thing everyone loved about Nina from 0083.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fivemarks posted:

Gotta say, "Female characters are only here to breed the next generation" is a pretty loving iffy move. Except for Romary, she gets to redo that thing everyone loved about Nina from 0083.

Don't worry they also had "What if we did Ramias and Mu except without the amazing voice actors to give it charm."

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

Don't worry they also had "What if we did Ramias and Mu except without the amazing voice actors to give it charm."

English or JP?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fivemarks posted:

English or JP?

JP in this case. Mu is Takehito Koyasu (He's been in loving everything under the sun but in Gundam terms was Gym from Turn-A and Zechs and is best known as Dio from Jojo these days) and Ramias is Kotono Mitsuishi (Again, in everything, but was Sailor Moon, Misato from Eva, and in Gundam terms was also Sei's mom in Build Fighters). SEED had an absurdly stacked voice actor list even if Hoshi loving sucks unless he's playing an evil dude.

.. oh man, maybe Freedom will be Hoshi's chance to be Evil as Kira. He kind of already got to do that (Canard Pars is also voiced by him) but it'd be great to hear him ham it the gently caress up as Evil Kira.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 12, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

We can't talk about age's problems and not link to the funniest page on the entire gundam wiki

https://gundam.fandom.com/wiki/Wendy_Hertz

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Wait but apparently she pilots two mobile suits

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Wait but apparently she pilots two mobile suits

I believe that is in the AGE video game where you can put her in a robot.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

ImpAtom posted:

JP in this case. Mu is Takehito Koyasu (He's been in loving everything under the sun but in Gundam terms was Gym from Turn-A and Zechs and is best known as Dio from Jojo these days)

Wait woah Zechs Merquise is DIO?? Holy poo poo.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

parabolic posted:

Working through Age with some friends right now and while it feels wrote and laden with tropes it's approximately 10x more comprehensible than the G-Reco movies which we just finished watching in terms of character consistency and motivation. If this is really near the bottom for full gundam series as many polls seem to indicate it could have been much, much worse. Mostly frustrating for wasted potential honestly, although maybe the last 15 episodes are pure trash, we'll see.

i was one of the absolute buffoons that watched age weekly believing the promise that the final arc (said to be about all 3 generations instead of one of them) would actually make the series pay off for its short term problems with long term vision

it doesn't

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
If you told me that Kio Asuno was a joke protagonist meant to embody all the (Bad, Mostly unfounded) complaints western fans (online) have with Gundam (Bullshit Pacifism, Caring more about the enemies than his allies, UNDERSTANDING) I'd have believed you. But no, we're meant to take him completely seriously.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

2nd Gen while still has a whole lot of total irredeemable garbage has Asemu who is pretty great and the film version of Darkhound vs Legilis is legitimately rad as hell.

show has a lot of really sick big robots as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Wait woah Zechs Merquise is DIO?? Holy poo poo.

Koyasu's list is insane. He's actually been in in 7 different Gundam shows
He was Liole in Victory
A minor role in G Gundam
Zechs in Wing
Gym in Turn A
Mu in SEED/Destiny
Algreus in AGE (Flit's sidekick dude)
La Gu in G Reco (The president evil Venus Globe, the dude who strips himself to show how hosed up his body is)

Dude is in so many series that in Super Robot Wars you can have a guy voiced by Koyasu fight another guy voiced by Koyasu with support from another guy voiced by Koyasu.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

La Gu wasn't evil

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

La Gu wasn't evil

No, he wasn't, for some reason I meant to type "Of" and typed "Evil" which I can only blame on my frequent typing of Resident Evil.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ImpAtom posted:

No, he wasn't, for some reason I meant to type "Of" and typed "Evil" which I can only blame on my frequent typing of Resident Evil.

Ironically G-Reco does feature a character who could accurately be described as president evil.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Koyasu is also Hotohori in Fushigi Yuugi while Hikaru Midorikawa is Tamahome and it's a trip. He's Touga in Utena and Il Palazzo in Excel Saga, dude's been in so much.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It was after his biggest Gundam roles (SEED started the year before this one) but before 2012 I liked to remind people that Zechs is also Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
AGE has many many problems and one of the biggest ones is unfortunately also its main gimmick, the three generations thing means none of them get the run time they really need and also results in mucking up the show's main Toyetic gimmick as none of the 3 generations of the Gundam AGE get enough time to properly show off the Wears system properly(though admittedly it only really ever got executed competently with the AGE-1 in the first place)

Still the AGE-1, AGE-FX, and more or less all the Vagan designs still hold a special place in my heart

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sad we never got the beam weed whacker in motion

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

drrockso20 posted:

AGE has many many problems and one of the biggest ones is unfortunately also its main gimmick, the three generations thing means none of them get the run time they really need and also results in mucking up the show's main Toyetic gimmick as none of the 3 generations of the Gundam AGE get enough time to properly show off the Wears system properly(though admittedly it only really ever got executed competently with the AGE-1 in the first place)

Still the AGE-1, AGE-FX, and more or less all the Vagan designs still hold a special place in my heart

Having it not be the same Gundam that gets passed down from generation to generation is still one of the top baffling decision from that show.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also maybe get someone to direct it who's actually directed anime and not the CEO of the game company

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I remember it going around Twitter occasionally. Some posters were like, "I'm glad AGE is finally getting the reevaluation it deserves!" but in response to absolutely nothing. It felt like they were trying to will a new appreciation for AGE into existence, as a joke.

lmao

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I looked up g saviour and saw in the plot writeup that one of the factions is called the Congress of Settlement Nations (CONSENT) and now I have to see it, because that's just funny

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Good soup! posted:

I looked up g saviour and saw in the plot writeup that one of the factions is called the Congress of Settlement Nations (CONSENT) and now I have to see it, because that's just funny

Acronyms were big, as was the style at the time.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Fivemarks posted:

Acronyms were big, as was the style at the time.

This carried over into SEED. The whole thing is alphabet soup.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Warmachine posted:

This carried over into SEED. The whole thing is alphabet soup.

I love how SEED came up with no less than two separate nonsense GUNDAM acronyms. If you wanted to get :goonsay:, technically either the G-Project Units, OR the Freedom and Justice are Gundams in the show, but not both. Because the first are GUNDAM's and the latter are GUNDAM's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I love how SEED came up with no less than two separate nonsense GUNDAM acronyms. If you wanted to get :goonsay:, technically either the G-Project Units, OR the Freedom and Justice are Gundams in the show, but not both. Because the first are GUNDAM's and the latter are GUNDAM's.

Technically none of them are Gundams! Gundams aren't actually a thing in the CE despite the marketing. It's a name Kira (and at the same time Lowe) came up with based off the OS and nobody else actually uses that unless they heard it from them.

Which is super funny if you think about it because it basically means that most people are going "This is a tank" and Kira is calling it Windows 95.