Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Good drivers drive like this.
Bad drivers drive like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

In his mind at least he looked cool for Tik Tok in the 2.2 seconds before he lost control, that's what matters

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:patriot:

https://twitter.com/jaketropolis/status/1695205089697276244?s=20

https://twitter.com/robby_rumble/status/1696004584932569455?s=20

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 28, 2023

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Cop running without lights and sirens (because turning them on activates the dashcam) runs a red light while going 78mph in a 30mph zone and kills a completely innocent person.

https://www.timesunion.com/state/article/high-speed-crash-troy-police-18294831.php

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

absolutely glorious update on this guy

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
wow, elite body work right there, can barely tell it was modified

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ThisIsButter/comments/15c4muh/dallas_pd_bodycam_shows_an_officer_shoot_wound_a/

holy poo poo, watch this but especially the amazing luck of this piece of poo poo at 6:40 mark
I don't often advocate for more summary police roadside violence but there are only two things they should have done here. One is immediately PIT that loving thing after the second intentional sideswipe of a motorist out minding their own business, because they're very obviously trying to cause a serious enough accident to cause the police to break off pursuit and tend to the people they hurt. Which is unconscionable, if you're gonna be a lunatic in a car that's one thing but using innocents as pawns in your game means I don't really give a drat if the police put you sideways into a bridge abutment to stop it.

The second is get a helicopter on it and immediately break off pursuit, grab the idiot once he thinks he's safe and goes to hide somewhere for a while. He's only running because he knows you're chasing him. Probably caused a million dollars in damages there by pursuing this fucker.

They basically did the worst possible thing, drag it out and let him continue his dangerous behavior as long as possible.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

kastein posted:

wow, elite body work right there, can barely tell it was modified

I don't often advocate for more summary police roadside violence but there are only two things they should have done here. One is immediately PIT that loving thing after the second intentional sideswipe of a motorist out minding their own business, because they're very obviously trying to cause a serious enough accident to cause the police to break off pursuit and tend to the people they hurt. Which is unconscionable, if you're gonna be a lunatic in a car that's one thing but using innocents as pawns in your game means I don't really give a drat if the police put you sideways into a bridge abutment to stop it.

The second is get a helicopter on it and immediately break off pursuit, grab the idiot once he thinks he's safe and goes to hide somewhere for a while. He's only running because he knows you're chasing him. Probably caused a million dollars in damages there by pursuing this fucker.

They basically did the worst possible thing, drag it out and let him continue his dangerous behavior as long as possible.

I think someone is going to make a lot of money when they make a drone you can deploy from a squad car and which can automatically shadow a designated car and transmit its location.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I think someone is going to make a lot of money when they make a drone you can deploy from a squad car and which can automatically shadow a designated car and transmit its location.

monkey's paw slowly curls

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
they have already created a system for cop cars that will shoot a gps tracker onto a car they are pursuing and then they don't have to continue the chase

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GPS tracker darts launched from cars or handheld guns are already a thing

https://www.starchase.com/

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Skydio has that exact product offering

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

->

->

->

It felt like a decent shunt but all i got was some paint transfer. (the bump strip has been bent forever)

It was a pretty rapid cycle of emotions. From "oh poo poo, someone just hit my lincoln" to "wait, there's no damage, not a big deal" to "oh poo poo, that guy got punted into me."

5mph bumpers work, kids.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Probably some confirmation bias at play, but literally every accident I've come across for the past couple years has had a Ram involved, typically the instigator.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

Probably some confirmation bias at play, but literally every accident I've come across for the past couple years has had a Ram involved, typically the instigator.

"These Are The Cars Most Commonly Owned By People With DUIs"
10. Ford Contour - 2.92 percent
1. Dodge Ram 2500 - 4.95 percent

https://jalopnik.com/these-are-the-cars-most-commonly-owned-by-people-with-d-1848622617

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

slidebite posted:

You're right to think that. I do too. It may or may not be true but... yesterday I decided not to get in front of one that had mismatched wheels and NO RF FENDER. Seemed wild to me.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Motronic posted:

https://jalopnik.com/these-are-the-cars-most-commonly-owned-by-people-with-d-1848622617

How many Ford Contours are still on the road? They’re just about 25 years old now for the newest ones

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

How many Ford Contours are still on the road? They’re just about 25 years old now for the newest ones

That Article posted:

There are a few other oddities as well. A few of the cars have been out of production for over two decades, and several manufacturers had multiple vehicles on the list. There's no clear reason why that is, but Insurify is just here to present the numbers.

and it's not percentage of cars in drunk driving accidents, it's percentage of drivers of said car who've been in a DD accident. ford contour afficionados are just apparently booze hounds too

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Motronic posted:

The funniest part of this is it's just 2500 owners, like apparently 1500 and 3500 owners are better or something.

Also, if you combine the Silverado and Sierra, you get 6.03%, handily beating out the Dodge 2500. I wonder what the Dodge RAM 1500+2500+3500 stats would look like? Who is the true king of road sodas?

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
That's not how stats work, it's the percentage of drivers of this particular model are drunk drivers, not the overall percentage of all drunk drivers own this particular model. I'd still be 3%

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDv6IhYVHWQ

Why not pull over to the right? Why drive another half mile at 55mph to CROSS THE ROAD? Less-than-WWII-tank-visibility at highway speeds.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

kastein posted:

The funniest part of this is it's just 2500 owners, like apparently 1500 and 3500 owners are better or something.

Also, if you combine the Silverado and Sierra, you get 6.03%, handily beating out the Dodge 2500. I wonder what the Dodge RAM 1500+2500+3500 stats would look like? Who is the true king of road sodas?

Ah, new automotive journalism and statistics combined.

I once saw an article that went something like this:

Top 10 BMWs not to buy!
8 - BMW 3 Series Coupe (2008-2011) The BMW 3 Series Coupe (2008-2011) has issues with rod bearings in its S65 V8 engine
4 - BMW E92 M3 - The BMW E92 M3 has the potential for expensive engine problems

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Kafouille posted:

That's not how stats work, it's the percentage of drivers of this particular model are drunk drivers, not the overall percentage of all drunk drivers own this particular model. I'd still be 3%

Dammit, you're right, for some reason I missed the fact that it was model owners with DUI/model owners, not model owners with DUI/total driver set.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

kastein posted:

Dammit, you're right, for some reason I missed the fact that it was model owners with DUI/model owners, not model owners with DUI/total driver set.

Given the headline the guy who wrote the article is right there with you, it makes things confusing.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEZPLBFeduY

His dad is going to kill him...

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Do obnoxious street signs count, however tenuously? Some loving dentist near me has a massive LED sign that's on 24/7 and is mostly white. It's fine during the day but that fucker absolutely kills what little night sight I have. If I ever end up hitting a pedestrian it'll be some poor homeless dude I can't see because this thing isn't high beams bright, but it's drat close.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

sleepy.eyes posted:

Do obnoxious street signs count, however tenuously? Some loving dentist near me has a massive LED sign that's on 24/7 and is mostly white. It's fine during the day but that fucker absolutely kills what little night sight I have. If I ever end up hitting a pedestrian it'll be some poor homeless dude I can't see because this thing isn't high beams bright, but it's drat close.

There's one I pass that flickers red/blue to catch your eye just before switching to the next slide in rotation, they absolutely know what they're doing. If your city or county has any balls they would have some regulations to enforce on the allowable brightness of road signs. If not, some regulations should be proposed at the next board meeting, voted on, enacted, and then fines imposed.

Alternate is going :black101: to the pedestal for everybody else's benefit.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

sleepy.eyes posted:

I wrote a whole bunch about these but the app deleted it. Instead I'll just leave you with the old Bill Hicks routine: "if any of you are in advertising or marketing, kill yourself..."

That these advertisements are often so bright and installed in the middle of pavements to show ads to people who should be paying attention whilst driving is some of the most disgusting poo poo ever. There's people that go around throwing paint on them and these people are the best.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

sleepy.eyes posted:

We've got one of those, it's near a train crossing. The added bonus is that it usually isn't bright white, but a rotating ad is so about once a minute or two it flips over and I swear to god it looks like a train is about to run you down. What's reminded me, I want to become an old man yelling at cloud and bitch about it, but I don't know if that would be a city thing or a higher level of government for transportation.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

I don't know if that would be a city thing or a higher level of government for transportation.

Probably depends on who "owns" the road, local/county/state.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Big signs like those are generally governed and overlook by zoning, usually as part of the approval process for the site if it’s on the same lot as the business. Otherwise the zoning code or city ordinances will dictate height and brightness limits, if any.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Big signs like those are generally governed and overlook by zoning, usually as part of the approval process for the site if it’s on the same lot as the business. Otherwise the zoning code or city ordinances will dictate height and brightness limits, if any.

Yeah, when I'm saying whoever own the road I'm making the assumption that this is already municipally allowed, mostly because I've run into that situation before. If it's on a state road you have a much bigger bat that will be aimed at your municipality for allowing something dangerous along "their" road.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

NoWake posted:

There's one I pass that flickers red/blue to catch your eye just before switching to the next slide in rotation, they absolutely know what they're doing. If your city or county has any balls they would have some regulations to enforce on the allowable brightness of road signs. If not, some regulations should be proposed at the next board meeting, voted on, enacted, and then fines imposed.

Alternate is going :black101: to the pedestal for everybody else's benefit.

There's a hitch store that just constantly flashes red and blue here and it always catches me off guard.

The whole sign is LEDs

https://i.imgur.com/WtlSntw.mp4

On that subject though, I'm quite bothered by the most psychotic drivers in the city who feel like they can run red lights and go at whatever speed they want now driving Tahoes and F-150s everywhere.

Cops should get priuses and smart cars.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

lol

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZoWQRJUsu8

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powershift posted:

Cops should get priuses and smart cars.

I want to see them try a Pitt Maneuver in a Reliant Robin.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Holy poo poo.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's an impressively wide sidewalk

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Criminal somewhere. Whoever signed off on those brakes has blood on their hands.

11 people injured, no fatalities.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

slidebite posted:

That's an impressively wide sidewalk

It’s a multi-use path, you fool!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Criminal somewhere. Whoever signed off on those brakes has blood on their hands.

11 people injured, no fatalities.

Starts with the driver who likely didn't pre-trip properly if at all. Can't wait to see how the tractor nor either trailer had any spring brakes. It's literally impossible to miss this three times if you're doing the things you're supposed to be doing before driving a commercial vehicle.