Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

drat, they finally got my rear end with a screenshot

if you like that screenshot, i got a landscape photo of tehran you're gonna love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Cheen posted:

if you like that screenshot, i got a landscape photo of tehran you're gonna love

lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Cheen posted:

when will SA do something to combat the vicious disinformation campaign russia is waging in c-spam??

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
so i've never looked it up - why did yakub do that? just cuz he's evil or what?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

he did it because he is a nerd

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
fuckin Yakubey Emmerich

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

so i've never looked it up - why did yakub do that? just cuz he's evil or what?

not much motivation is given other than the inhabitants of mecca making fun of his big head. pretty lazy supervillain backstory tbh but the story does involve moses blowing up a cave full of feral white people with dynamite so it's not all bad

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Hatebag posted:

not much motivation is given other than the inhabitants of mecca making fun of his big head. pretty lazy supervillain backstory tbh but the story does involve moses blowing up a cave full of feral white people with dynamite so it's not all bad

lmao hell yeah

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Hatebag posted:

Well I'm sold, where do I convert

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
there should be more modern religions willing to create new canon for The Bible

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

there should be more modern religions willing to create new canon for The Bible

all the american ones like mormonism, noi, scientology, etc do that. they're pretty much all cults run by rapists, though, which isn't very good imho

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Hatebag posted:

Moses is an ally

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Hatebag posted:

all the american ones like mormonism, noi, scientology, etc do that. they're pretty much all cults run by rapists, though, which isn't very good imho

i have never heard of scientology interacting with the canon of the bible before and would like to know more

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

i have never heard of scientology interacting with the canon of the bible before and would like to know more

i don't have in-depth knowledge of it but this bit from wikipedia is kinda funny

quote:

In Scientology, an implant is a fake memory installed by evil forces.[17] Mark Driscoll wrote, "According to Scientology, Jesus is an 'implant' forced upon a Thetan about a million years ago".[18] Jack Huberman wrote that in Scientology Jesus is seen as having been "implanted in humanity's collective memory" by the character Xenu from Scientology space opera.[19] Jon Atack wrote that Scientology is essentially anti-Christian, and "Hubbard attacked Christianity as an 'implant', and said that Christ was a fiction."[20] Bent Corydon quoted Hubbard as stating that Christianity evolved from the "R6 Implant": "The man on the cross. There was no Christ! The Roman Catholic Church, through watching the dramatizations of people picked up some little fragments of R6."[14] Hubbard described the belief that the Christian heaven is “the product of two implants dating back more than 43 trillion years.” He said further that heaven is a “false dream” that leads thetans to a goal that does not exist, and persuades them of the singularity of this life.[21]

In Operating Thetan level VIII, as seen in the Fishman Affidavit, Hubbard explains the untold story of his life's work.[22] Hubbard teaches that "the historic Jesus was not nearly the sainted figure [he] has been made out to be. In addition to being a lover of young boys and men, he was given to uncontrollable bursts of temper and hatred".[15]: 186 [16] Hubbard mentions the Book of Revelation and its prophecy of a time when "an arch-enemy of Christ, referred to as the anti-Christ, will reign". According to Hubbard, the "anti-Christ represents the forces of Lucifer". Hubbard writes "My mission could be said to fulfill the Biblical promise represented by this brief anti-Christ period."[

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
lmfao L. Ron Hubbard was a real motherfucker but his style of lying is so funny to read in print

Andy Daly also did a very funny impression of him on an episode of Paul F. Tompkins' Dead Authors podcast i think. maybe more than just that.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

oh yeah there's also an andy daly podcast pilot project where he plays hubbard and reads a fake hubbard sci fi book that's pretty god damned funny

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Hatebag posted:

oh yeah there's also an andy daly podcast pilot project where he plays hubbard and reads a fake hubbard sci fi book that's pretty god damned funny

Yes that's right! I might need to go back and listen to all of those cuz holy poo poo were they funny

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Old Country Buffet is dead so Yakub must redouble his efforts

Edit:

change my name has issued a correction as of 18:27 on Oct 12, 2023

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Hatebag posted:

i don't have in-depth knowledge of it but this bit from wikipedia is kinda funny

quote:

Hubbard teaches that "the historic Jesus was not nearly the sainted figure [he] has been made out to be. In addition to being a lover of young boys and men, he was given to uncontrollable bursts of temper and hatred".

yeah that tracks, jesus did go ham on that fig tree

quote:

Mark 11:12-25
Jesus Curses a Fig Tree and Clears the Temple Courts

12 The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14 Then he said to the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard him say it.

the funny thing is that jesus knew exactly how fig trees worked, sometimes they have leaves but no fruit, this is psycho poo poo

quote:

Luke 21:29–31

29 Then he told them a parable: “Look at the fig tree and all the trees; 30 as soon as they sprout leaves you can see for yourselves and know that summer is already near. 31 So also, when you see these things taking place, you know that the kingdom of God is near.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's called prop comedy. It's very easy to understand.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
gotta assume that was just like one of the disciples trying to sneak their anti-fig grudge in there somewhere

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Could I get this formatted for phablet please?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

shackleford posted:

the funny thing is that jesus knew exactly how fig trees worked, sometimes they have leaves but no fruit, this is psycho poo poo

nah it’s poverty and being poor. it’s not the season for figs is a non sequitor to: I am hungry

the story very quickly can be used determine one’s class and privileges by the nature of the response.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

nah it’s poverty and being poor. it’s not the season for figs is a non sequitor to: I am hungry

the story very quickly can be used determine one’s class and privileges by the nature of the response.

I've heard it suggested that it ties into the whole money lenders at the temple episode as a sort of ad on metaphor. And also Jesus was a Doomsday cult leader, so maybe he figured that there would never be another fig season?

But the real answer is that God hates figs

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
He probably said something a lot closer to "gently caress you, you piece of poo poo no fruit having rear end useless rear end tree"

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
jesus wanted to gently caress the figs and all the more power to xir

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

tokin opposition posted:

comments like these remind me of the difference between figs and fig newtons

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

shackleford posted:

comments like these remind me of the difference between figs and fig newtons

figussy

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Your nudity is a paradise of pomegranates with the fruit of produce; henna flower with spikenard

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

my neighbor has a few fig trees. we eat the figs when they are ripe. the figs are good.

they who have ears to hear, let them hear.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
there are no fig trees in Finland

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
fig off

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Regarde Aduck posted:

there are no fig trees in Finland

good thing i'm not in finland then.

also jesus was literally saying "death to israel" when he cursed the fig tree.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Tfw no deecee figgies :(

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

current photo of the rio negro

:tif:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

BonHair posted:

I've heard it suggested that it ties into the whole money lenders at the temple episode as a sort of ad on metaphor. And also Jesus was a Doomsday cult leader, so maybe he figured that there would never be another fig season?

But the real answer is that God hates figs

the money lenders story is literally inside the fig story. it’s screamingly obviously intentional as it goes fig tree moneylenders fig tree.

12 The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14 Then he said to the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard him say it.

15 On reaching Jerusalem, Jesus entered the temple courts and began driving out those who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves, 16 and would not allow anyone to carry merchandise through the temple courts. 17 And as he taught them, he said, “Is it not written: ‘My house will be called a house of prayer for all nations’[a]? But you have made it ‘a den of robbers.’[b]”

18 The chief priests and the teachers of the law heard this and began looking for a way to kill him, for they feared him, because the whole crowd was amazed at his teaching.

19 When evening came, Jesus and his disciples[c] went out of the city.

20 In the morning, as they went along, they saw the fig tree withered from the roots. 21 Peter remembered and said to Jesus, “Rabbi, look! The fig tree you cursed has withered!”

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Bible Study HYPE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

tokin opposition posted:

none of these words are in the bible. well, except jesus. and figs i guess.