Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

I’ve got a coworker from Wisconsin who brought me back some New Glarus.

Enjoy these reviews: Raspberry Tart a phenomenal beer. Spotted Cow is alright. Moon Man is very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Presently in an AirBnB on Cape Cod working my way through a 24 can sampler pack from Treehouse. This is not a bad way to waste your life away. Strong recommend.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Sublimer posted:

I’ve got a coworker from Wisconsin who brought me back some New Glarus.

Enjoy these reviews: Raspberry Tart a phenomenal beer. Spotted Cow is alright. Moon Man is very good.

This I agree with 100%

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Who's drinking or brewing good freshies these days? I'm 3 out of 4 fresh-hopped beers in for the season (Idaho 7 harvest is in about two weeks) and our first fresh-hopped beers (both Strata) are coming out this week. Fresh-hopped Hopotheosis is as juicy and rich as ever, but the fresh-hopped cold IPA I brewed for the first time is giving Hopotheosis a run for its money. They're delicious but gently caress are freshies a lot of work. I can't wait until fresh hop/competition season is over so I can get some loving rest.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I’ve mostly seen fresh Centennial and some fresh Tettnang so far. But I have to go to Wenatchee this weekend so I’m not going to get to grab anything new. Some really dank Centennial out this year from CLS.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I had one from coppertail that was locally grown stuff, idk why you would care about it

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

I had one from coppertail that was locally grown stuff, idk why you would care about it

Because it's the most magical time of the year in the PNW.

It's a fair amount of extra work doing it, but it's hop flavor explosion when you get it and done right. Up until 3-4 years ago they never even sent the fresh hops east of the Mississippi.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
"it" meaning that one specific beer and not the concept of fresh hop beers

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Are any goons going to GABF next weekend? I've got tickets to friday nights session.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Jhet posted:

Because it's the most magical time of the year in the PNW.

It's a fair amount of extra work doing it, but it's hop flavor explosion when you get it and done right. Up until 3-4 years ago they never even sent the fresh hops east of the Mississippi.

I've seen fresh hop/wet hop beers from places like Three Floyds as far back as the early 2000s, but it is definitely primarily a PNW phenomenon. Places like Yakima Chief are coming up with more and more interesting ways to preserve and ship them these days, though. Hell, I was working at Lagunitas back in 2015 when they were developing the process for Contents Under Fresher, where they could basically pulp fresh hops with deaerated water and store them in near-freezing temperatures for several months. It wasn't quite as potent as using them fresh off the bine, but it was definitely a nice bit of fresh hop character you could get almost any time of year.

Having come from Chicago, the PNW is definitely a bit... self-absorbed about its beer trends and traditions.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

RocketMermaid posted:

I've seen fresh hop/wet hop beers from places like Three Floyds as far back as the early 2000s, but it is definitely primarily a PNW phenomenon. Places like Yakima Chief are coming up with more and more interesting ways to preserve and ship them these days, though. Hell, I was working at Lagunitas back in 2015 when they were developing the process for Contents Under Fresher, where they could basically pulp fresh hops with deaerated water and store them in near-freezing temperatures for several months. It wasn't quite as potent as using them fresh off the bine, but it was definitely a nice bit of fresh hop character you could get almost any time of year.

Having come from Chicago, the PNW is definitely a bit... self-absorbed about its beer trends and traditions.

Yeah. We are. It’s too weird for everyone else. No one should come visit.

I’ve had some truly amazing freshies here that were unobtainable in Chicago. I know they’re growing some decent hops in Michigan these days, but they still don’t come close for me. I hope to make it over to see what you have on next week, but my schedule is still waiting on others.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Jhet posted:

Up until 3-4 years ago they never even sent the fresh hops east of the Mississippi.

Lol

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

RocketMermaid posted:

EXCUSE me it's a Cascadian Dark Ale

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
I just scored a bottle of BCBS Rare 2010 for $50. I dont know whether it's worth just drinking or max profitting it at this point because tickers are going to tick.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
That's retail in 2010!

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
beer is for drinking, just drink it fam

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Bought a car in Traverse City that I'm going to pick up this weekend. Any breweries or bars worth going to or beer worth seeking out? Never been to the area before.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

atothesquiz posted:

Bought a car in Traverse City that I'm going to pick up this weekend. Any breweries or bars worth going to or beer worth seeking out? Never been to the area before.

I haven't been to TC in a while but I've had good experiences at Rare Bird and Filling Station. Heard good things about 7 Monks but have never been myself. Jolly Pumpkin also has a location up there. Right Brain also makes solid beers.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

atothesquiz posted:

I just scored a bottle of BCBS Rare 2010 for $50. I dont know whether it's worth just drinking or max profitting it at this point because tickers are going to tick.

I had some of that vintage in March and it was exquisite. Had been cellared really well though

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

atothesquiz posted:

TC Workshop was pretty good too the last time I was there uhh... four years ago.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Today is the day I pick up a case of Westvleteren 12 in case anyone was wondering

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

atothesquiz posted:

Just keep tastin'.

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest
What are some good breweries and cideries in Vermont? (Preferably ones that are open on Sundays!) I'm heading up there to do a series of pop-up dinners in Manchester, and trying to make a lil vacation out of it when I'm done getting my rear end kicked Thursday through Saturday. The Alchemist is definitely on the list, but I'm looking for some more unique spots to stop at on Sunday. Good markets, places to buy cheese, and solid restaurants as well. A bit of a drive is no problem, since we're taking a route to the north to Lake Champlain to spend the night on the lake before doing some serious hiking in NY the following few days.

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.
I was going to suggest Freak Folk Bier in Waterbury, but apparently they aren't open on Sundays. Same with Hill Farmstead.

Von Trapp is in the area if you really like lagers. I have always liked River Roost, but you have to go pretty far south and there isn't necessarily a ton of other stuff around. If you go to Burlington, you have Foam, Four Quarters, Burlington Brewing, Citizen Cider, and Fiddlehead. There are several other breweries there as well, but those would be my favorite.

Also stop by a bottle shop and find some Wunderkammer.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

There's very little in the bottom half of the state to be perfectly fair.

Lawson's taproom in Waitsfield is nice.

There's a good route starting or ending at the Pro Pig in Waterbury center that goes up and hits the stowe locations, then into Morristown for Lost Nation and then through to Greensboro for Hill Farmstead, or the reverse when I'm coming up from NH.

I'm going up in Oct, I make it a point to always stop at https://www.cheeseandwinetraders.com/collections/cheese-shop in burlington for as much cheese as my cooler can hold before I head back to boston. In burlington proper I like Zero Gravity and Frost as well.

If you're coming from/going through NY, full reccomend for Suarez Family Brewing in livingston NY and Fidens in Albany.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Waterbury has like 5 restaurants and every one has an amazing taplist of mostly local stuff. The bottle shop in town is also great. Basically just hang in Waterbury. If you want a fancy option, definitely hit Hen Of the Wood.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

danbanana posted:

Waterbury has like 5 restaurants and every one has an amazing taplist of mostly local stuff. The bottle shop in town is also great. Basically just hang in Waterbury. If you want a fancy option, definitely hit Hen Of the Wood.

They've got a Hen of the Woods in Burlington too and it does indeed rule.

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.
I have only been to the Burlington Hen of the Wood, but agree that it is fantastic. I am also a big fan of Honey Road as well.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s a sad visual putting a 12 oz bottle of Festbier into a 0.5L mug. A little bit over half full on this one given where the measuring line is.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

smackfu posted:

It’s a sad visual putting a 12 oz bottle of Festbier into a 0.5L mug. A little bit over half full on this one given where the measuring line is.

71% full.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Turns out it’s only an 11.2 oz bottle. Thanks Europe.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Tonights beer is Zombie Dust, since it was just chilling with BCBS and Pliny the Elder in a desperate attempt to be 2016 again. Its pretty decent but it honestly just tastes like a lesser version of Lizard King

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Control Volume posted:

Tonights beer is Zombie Dust, since it was just chilling with BCBS and Pliny the Elder in a desperate attempt to be 2016 again. Its pretty decent but it honestly just tastes like a lesser version of Lizard King

Sir, that's a 2013 combo.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

danbanana posted:

Sir, that's a 2013 combo.

Aw gently caress I feel old

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Control Volume posted:

Zombie Ice is p good though

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Control Volume posted:

How's Hopslam this year? :v:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Still having some grief with the kegerator. Local brewery store guy suggested I coil the beer hose up on top of the keg, and to use some vegetable oil on the rubber part of the coupler fitting. That seemed to work beautifully, but every keg since has seemed to get worse. Next stop for me is to try one of these Nukataps which supposedly helps with the foam as well as the stickiness that can occur on the tap handle.

I saw a review where someone mentioned putting the thermostat down to 4 or just under, but that hasn't had any effect either. I cleaned it all quite well, or so I believe, before inserting this keg but man, tons and tons of head and it never seems to start flowing clear. So frustrating.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

codo27 posted:

Still having some grief with the kegerator. Local brewery store guy suggested I coil the beer hose up on top of the keg, and to use some vegetable oil on the rubber part of the coupler fitting. That seemed to work beautifully, but every keg since has seemed to get worse. Next stop for me is to try one of these Nukataps which supposedly helps with the foam as well as the stickiness that can occur on the tap handle.

I saw a review where someone mentioned putting the thermostat down to 4 or just under, but that hasn't had any effect either. I cleaned it all quite well, or so I believe, before inserting this keg but man, tons and tons of head and it never seems to start flowing clear. So frustrating.

How long is your line, and what ID is it? What's your pressure/temperature, and how are you carbonating the keg? Does your kegerator have a tower, or is the faucet coming straight out of the inside?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its an Insignia kegerator, so I believe most of the parts are kinda mediocre. There's quite a bit of slack on the line, I'd have to measure but I can coil it around the top of the keg a couple times at least. Not sure what you mean by ID. I've always run it between 10-12psi per the manual for the kegerator. There is a tower.