Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Vizuyos posted:

don't want to have to deal with using [...] rail

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Been off Factorio for a while, but their expansion updates got me excited so I fired up a fresh game with Freight Forwarding. It's a light overhaul mod that focuses on long distance rail/boat transportation that fucks with stack size so that stuff doesn't stack as large but adds containers that hold 10x stack size. I'm really liking it! For me the most interesting part is that all the loading/unloading of the train are done with these Container Maker machines and then the trains have an inventory size of 5 so they pull up, an inserter swings like twice and a whole train load is on its way to wherever. It also adds an interesting logistical challenge that outposts need empty containers and production stops that use less containers than they require in input have to get rid of their empties somehow. Also the boats are neat even if they are just reskinned trains - I haven't gotten too deep in to them but I'm just getting in to the techs that are going to require more offshore drilling type stuff.

As this is a train focused mod I also took this opportunity to check out Project Cybersyn. I've been using LTN for a long time and reddit has been gassing this mod up as the newer/better/easier to use LTN. It ... kind of is? I don't know, I find them to be pretty similar overall. At their base level of simple request / provide stations they are pretty similar in terms of complexity - number of entities needed and amount of circuit / wiring to set up. At the more complex end, Cybersyn seems to have more and easier options to explore - specifically with setting different request thresholds for different items making setting up mixed request stations a total breeze. It does lack some of the additional support that LTN has, though. There's no 'manager' type mods to get a glimpse in to your train network as a whole and it doesn't have as granular reporting on alerting you when requests can't be filled to let you know that something might be wrong somewhere.

If you're looking for a Vanilla+ experience then I think I can recommend Freight Forwarding pretty strongly. I'd rate it at about Krastorio2 levels of difficulty, but in a different way. K2 adds more recipes and intermediates, but the increased difficulty in FF is more a logistical challenge.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

MerrMan posted:

Been off Factorio for a while, but their expansion updates got me excited so I fired up a fresh game with Freight Forwarding. It's a light overhaul mod that focuses on long distance rail/boat transportation that fucks with stack size so that stuff doesn't stack as large but adds containers that hold 10x stack size. I'm really liking it! For me the most interesting part is that all the loading/unloading of the train are done with these Container Maker machines and then the trains have an inventory size of 5 so they pull up, an inserter swings like twice and a whole train load is on its way to wherever. It also adds an interesting logistical challenge that outposts need empty containers and production stops that use less containers than they require in input have to get rid of their empties somehow. Also the boats are neat even if they are just reskinned trains - I haven't gotten too deep in to them but I'm just getting in to the techs that are going to require more offshore drilling type stuff.

<snip Cybersyn>

If you're looking for a Vanilla+ experience then I think I can recommend Freight Forwarding pretty strongly. I'd rate it at about Krastorio2 levels of difficulty, but in a different way. K2 adds more recipes and intermediates, but the increased difficulty in FF is more a logistical challenge.
I can second this recommendation. The fundamental problem of Freight Forwarding is "I need to put a container full of iron on a train to a ship to another train to my main base, and then I need to send the empty container back to the mine to start the cycle again". Also, unloading a container has a 1% chance to wreck the container, though not the cargo, so you need to create new containers to inject back into circulation. Right now I'm sending containers in the return trip, so my iron freighter carries full containers to my base and empty containers from the base, but it's messed up enough that I'm considering adding another ship and circuit just to send empty containers to the various islands.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

MerrMan posted:

As this is a train focused mod I also took this opportunity to check out Project Cybersyn. I've been using LTN for a long time and reddit has been gassing this mod up as the newer/better/easier to use LTN. It ... kind of is? I don't know, I find them to be pretty similar overall. At their base level of simple request / provide stations they are pretty similar in terms of complexity - number of entities needed and amount of circuit / wiring to set up. At the more complex end, Cybersyn seems to have more and easier options to explore - specifically with setting different request thresholds for different items making setting up mixed request stations a total breeze. It does lack some of the additional support that LTN has, though. There's no 'manager' type mods to get a glimpse in to your train network as a whole and it doesn't have as granular reporting on alerting you when requests can't be filled to let you know that something might be wrong somewhere.

Oh man, wish I knew about freight forwarding before I started my current game. I wanted an island hopping biter fighting experience so I went with Krastorio 2, Rampant and cargo ships. But I ended up with a starter island, a couple of piddly islands and a massive overrun mainland. This has a way nicer looking customised island setup.

vs

70 hours in and now I'm getting restart envy arrgh.

E: Realistic Aircraft (where you have to build a runway) + the flying boat is an excellent addition, however.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 10, 2023

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

lol Freight Forwarding sounds like everything I described for my reasons I hate barreling, but for solid cargo as well

Even in Factorio I guess I’m an anti-containerization nerd.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Witness the end of Dosh's Bean Odesy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHyuCJfDFk0

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

LonsomeSon posted:

lol Freight Forwarding sounds like everything I described for my reasons I hate barreling, but for solid cargo as well

Even in Factorio I guess I’m an anti-containerization nerd.

You're kind of half right. Barrels are annoying because they introduce a huge logistical challenge for basically no benefit - tanker trains do a better job of it in practically every case. But what if literally every item had to be put in to a barrel to get put on a train? Now you're solving that difficult logistical problem for your whole base rather than for some little niche use so it feels more fun?

I've never hosed with barrels in vanilla or really in any of my modded runs either, I don't think. But trying to figure out how to collect empties where they gather and distribute them to where they are needed without just printing a billion of them and burning through steel has been a cool challenge. And, like, a different challenge than just adding a bunch of extra intermediaries to make building the next science pack more tedious.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Funnily enough, Freight Forwarding still has tanker ships, so you still don't need barrels.

I can also second that recommendation, it's been an interesting changeup for the base game. My main complaint is the fastest boat is still extremely slow, making surveying for oil even more annoying than usual.

Another interesting feature of the mod: there are no water-placeable power poles. You can do it with landfill, of course, but you're encouraged to set up local power generation on each island.
I'm tempted to solve this problem by carting around super-heated steam.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So in the real world if you ship barrels you'd palletize them. Does this mean you can ship crates of barrels of superheated steam?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Containerisation mods are going to be brutally annihilated by quality, I suspect.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Drone_Fragger posted:

Containerisation mods are going to be brutally annihilated by quality, I suspect.

I only ship steam in legendary barrels on legendary pallets in legendary containers on epic cargo ships bc I didn't roll well enough on need

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Witness the end of Dosh's Bean Odesy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHyuCJfDFk0

Py when

I watched this yesterday and it is a thing of beauty

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I do enjoy Dosh's sequential modular designs

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

KillHour posted:

Py when

In the last community poll where Dosh asked his viewers which mod he should play one of the options was "Pyanodon's (I absolutely will not play this but you can click this option for fun)" :v:

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

KillHour posted:

Py when

I asked Dosh when he'll do Pyanadon's and he said, "I'm going to say, definitely not until after I've played the expansion"

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Alkydere posted:

So in the real world if you ship barrels you'd palletize them. Does this mean you can ship crates of barrels of superheated steam?

It seems that Freight Forwarding does not support palletized barrels, sadly.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

DarkSol posted:

I asked Dosh when he'll do Pyanadon's and he said, "I'm going to say, definitely not until after I've played the expansion"

This is an entirely reasonable response. Honestly I suspect that Py's likely going to be the last major modpack he does.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I'm impressed he finished seablock. My run petered out the same place the last one did, where my starter base could make all sciences necessary for tech unlocks and top tier buildings and circuits, top-minus-one tier bots, and lvl 1 modules but pretty slowly. Setting up puffers/biters for top tier modules, garden replication, rockets, and doing a 10-40x scale up with trains I just didn't want to embark on. You can tell how crazy he got by the end lol.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I'm impressed he finished seablock. My run petered out the same place the last one did, where my starter base could make all sciences necessary for tech unlocks and top tier buildings and circuits, top-minus-one tier bots, and lvl 1 modules but pretty slowly. Setting up puffers/biters for top tier modules, garden replication, rockets, and doing a 10-40x scale up with trains I just didn't want to embark on. You can tell how crazy he got by the end lol.

Yeah, it's funny that once you're past the initial hump of not being able to really automate anything, you can just cruise through the game doing stuff that makes sense. Then you hit something like that and you gotta sprint to the finish before you burn out. I've tried a couple times and decided that I don't have enough free time to warrant playing. Maybe if I win the lottery I'll come back to seablock, but there might be other things I want to do at that point.

It's a real accomplishment for him to complete it, especially recording the whole thing. Kudos to him.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
I can't believe the puffer buildings make fart noises in a mod where you're expected to wait a while for them to spool up. Like "trying to kill someone through the internet" can't believe

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Phobeste posted:

I can't believe the puffer buildings make fart noises in a mod where you're expected to wait a while for them to spool up. Like "trying to kill someone through the internet" can't believe

i had my puffer buildings way out in an isolated outpost and I still actually opened up the mod zip and deleted the sound file for that dumb fart

it stands out way too much from the rest of the Factorio soundscape

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Finishing that is insane to me. Took him 338 hours and 170 days real time. I usually get bored of my factories when I get over 100 hours in, but I'm not nearly as efficient as Dosh so it would probably take me at least twice as long as it took him to finish, and it would look like trash.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Solumin posted:

Funnily enough, Freight Forwarding still has tanker ships, so you still don't need barrels.

Another interesting feature of the mod: there are no water-placeable power poles. You can do it with landfill, of course, but you're encouraged to set up local power generation on each island.
I'm tempted to solve this problem by carting around super-heated steam.
You're forced to set up local power, since you can't use landfill over deep water. Some islands are close enough that you can use landfill to connect them, or just use power poles across the distance, but most aren't. My current method for power generation is solar power and an oil refinery at the main port on each island, so I can have solid fuel to feed my boats and boilers. I also need lubricant for titanium mining and sulfuric acid for uranium mining and deep-sea dredging, so I might as well just have the refinery there anyhow. I've considered setting up nuclear power, but none of my islands require more than 80ish MW of power, so it doesn't really seem worth it compared to just slapping down a few more solar panels.

Speaking of dredging, I actually do use barrels for that. The dredging process involves washing the dredged nodules in sulfuric acid to get the ores out, which is best done on the dredging platform. It uses a small enough quantity of acid that IMO, it's worthwhile to carry barrels of acid in mixed cargo with the batteries you also need to supply the dredging platform, rather than use a separate tanker.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
New FFF again.

All about remote viewing, building, adjusting, ghost entities, etc. Seems like the expected set of changes and maybe a bit more. I feel like there are a few odd hints at new features in some of the images they showed, but I don't have time to really pick through it right now.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The new ghosts look really cool, imo

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Things I noticed:
- New "no ore" warning icon for miners, similar to the "no power" icon.
- ghosts are wibbly wobbly blue animated things now (edit: this is explained at the end of the post and is very interesting from a technical perspective!)
- three new buttons in the minimap/research progress box. Two of them are explained in the post: space map and platforms map.

This all sounds like a great QoL improvement, plus a stronger incentive to cover everything in roboports. The one thing I'm uncertain about is being able to mine items through the map, because that's _definitely_ something I'll accidentally do and not notice until it's too late.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 13, 2023

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Jabor posted:

The new ghosts look really cool, imo

Ghosts changing tint based on if a bot has been assigned yet to put the building down or not is such a simple yet absolutely wonderful tweak.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

K8.0 posted:

New FFF again.

All about remote viewing, building, adjusting, ghost entities, etc. Seems like the expected set of changes and maybe a bit more. I feel like there are a few odd hints at new features in some of the images they showed, but I don't have time to really pick through it right now.

The tinting stuff rocks. All of this rocks.

So many good changes already in these initial FFF posts.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
Everything in this expansion feels like they took all the great things from SE and put it in the base game. I do hope there's a method to toggle the right click to destruct - I have a habit of holding down right click when multitasking and deleting things without even knowing it is gonna be a pain.

I hope they put the beacon changes next. Gimme those wide beacons and tiny beacons hell yeah.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I’m realizing that most of the new things they’re adding are going to invalidate a number of my prior ‘quality of life’ mods.

Good. Integrating refinements and smoothing rough edges is excellent.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Teledahn posted:

I’m realizing that most of the new things they’re adding are going to invalidate a number of my prior ‘quality of life’ mods.

Good. Integrating refinements and smoothing rough edges is excellent.

They better include squeak-through!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

It will all be meaningless to me unless they include Honk

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

LonsomeSon posted:

It will all be meaningless to me unless they include Honk Disco Science

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Half-wit posted:

Disco Science

One of the best Factorio mods.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

There are elevated and ramping rail tracks as buildable items in one of the preview images; the one showing off the planet selection ui.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Aertuun posted:

There are elevated and ramping rail tracks as buildable items in one of the preview images; the one showing off the planet selection ui.

They're also in the first preview image, and also there was an entire FFF about them two weeks ago

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
It has been at least a week since I last expanded production capacity, built something new, or moved up the tech tree at all.

Which, I mean, the massive infrastructure project to shift from one base at my starting area to dedicated outposts and a massive train system running materials from place to place is necessary and should see dividends when I get it all up and running, but God, so much work. And my neighbors are starting to get a bit snippy with me.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

This is a dumb question, but how do you "win" Bob/Angels? I've automated rocket launches, slowly. I've been looking at the tech tree and I don't think I see anything that says to me "endgame." Is there a "win" condition or is it just a matter of keeping on optimizing my base until everything runs on it's own?

Here's the terrible megabase, probably not the most optimized but it mostly works.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

diremonk posted:

This is a dumb question, but how do you "win" Bob/Angels? I've automated rocket launches, slowly. I've been looking at the tech tree and I don't think I see anything that says to me "endgame." Is there a "win" condition or is it just a matter of keeping on optimizing my base until everything runs on it's own?

Here's the terrible megabase, probably not the most optimized but it mostly works.

I quit long before that but I don't think there are any new attaboys after the rocket launch. Just a treadmill up to godmods etc. which let you reach a SPM singularity in spite of entity counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Ok, Freight Forwarding has presented me with a problem that I have NO idea how to solve: How do I get rid of steam? Titansteel, the end-game resource plate, produces 500 degree steam as part of its output:

Ok, fine. I pipe this in to some turbines, but it only gets used at a rate proportional to my used/generated power as a whole - and I way overdid power by building a 2x2 nuclear reactor so I'm only using about 30% of my capacity right now. Which means steam is getting used verryyyyyyyy slowly.

I thought maybe I could disconnect it from my main grid and let it power itself - which is fine, but it's a pretty large power surplus even when handling the byproduct (slag) on the same network so it backs up just the same. I'm not sure how to prioritize this in particular, because if I put the nuclear plant on a switch then I don't have enough OTHER power to maintain the base. Not that I have any clue how to wire that switch since they are loving forever away from one another.

The mod doesn't include any flare stack / chimney type building by default. I suppose I could just set up a non-necessary little factory to eat up the extra power - like that's where I churn out my Speed/Prod 3 modules, or something... I don't have a good idea of how much of the Titansteel I'm going to need but that might be my best solution in the short term.