Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Zoeb posted:

I got fired from my first accounting internship after a month from dumb mistakes. I felt like a fool. Maybe the next one will work out better. I really liked that job too. I am going to graduate soon. I just want a job where I can sit down while working.

I believe you can make it

19 o'clock posted:

Sleep helps. Fresh eyes work wonders.

Thanks for the comfort mate :unsmith:

I just feeling down and need to try harder and reach out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Annointed posted:

I just feeling down and need to try harder and reach out.

Take it from a woefully unemployed and disenchanted accountant who is sheepishly looking at getting back into the field: you’re doing fine.

You’re still so new that I wouldn’t have any expectations that you would master closing all of your assigned accounts yet. I go into triage mode when faced with a bunch of work. Which accounts are most important and which ones can be back burner’d. That’s all manager stuff which is what I can’t glean from your posts, though.

If I had a new staff in their first accounting role I would likely be doing the account close myself. My main focus for them at first would be just having them do the mundane day to day account maintenance until they were really comfy with how it all works. That’s just my experience and philosophy, though. Most of all just don’t be too hard on yourself.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Tried to finish what I could. Couldn't get a clean close. Now have to do accrual.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Got a bit of a scare today. Things are going well at work, but someone in AP got fired today after a year. Even though its a different department, it does scare me a little.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Covok posted:

Got a bit of a scare today. Things are going well at work, but someone in AP got fired today after a year. Even though its a different department, it does scare me a little.

I worry of getting fired too.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Annointed posted:

I worry of getting fired too.

Worry not; that is the path to ruin. An infinite amount of carefree idiots have coasted through lucrative careers - worrying only leads to stress, and stress leads to substance abuse and heart disease.

Or something. I'm not really sure if that's wisdom or not, tbh.

What I will say is that I had a Director once that repeated this phrase like a mantra: "On to the next one." I think he might have been on to something; it works great for back-to-back meetings, quitting jobs, and recovering from disastrous Tinder dates.

In my opinion, if you're not making mistakes, then you're not learning anything. Embrace the mistakes as the catalyst for personal growth, and sell the gently caress out of what you learned from each one. As long as you don't keep making the same one over and over again, you're doing alright.

In my experience, it can take up to 6 months to master a closing process; from there, you'll spend the next 8-12 months coming up with ways to improve it, and then any time after that contemplating self-harm just so you can avoid having to go through the motions of the improved and efficient processes that you yourself have created.

In other words, you will soon free yourself from such worries, and eventually imprison yourself in new and horrifically unexciting ways.

Then you'll leave for another company and the cycle will start anew :v:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I spent the last day or two fixing up a file for my old boss because I decided to check my work email on the Monday of a long weekend. Like, "I can't believe you forgot <X>, <Y>, <Z> in your file. <Client> gave us their summaries!" I was able to smoothen most of it over with him Tuesday morning because it turned out that no, the client didn't give this stuff (sole proprietorship, first year as a corporation). I missed some stuff but the client now had a separate bank account for her information and gave us a lot of other stuff and didn't actually give us a summary. Still, that was rough.

The new partner I'm working for is out of the country so I was supposed to have a staff meeting, but I rushed to finish this and I realized that I should finally have a staff meeting this week because he told me to do one with the new office.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

As a firm partner who cannot find accountants of any xp level to hire: The jobs are out there friends!! You'll find your spot!!! KEEP GOING

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

How
Out of over a dozen invoices i self checked
Only 2 were good to send

God loving dammit why can't i just do right today do my work run and put this all behind me

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Getting in a spiral of self doubt is actually the easiest path to constant gently caress ups. When I was at my worst my first year my senior told me ‘yo, chill, we aren’t saving lives here’ and that unfucked my mind a good deal

So today I say the same to you

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Annointed posted:

How
Only 2 were good to send

God loving dammit why can't i just do right today do my work run and put this all behind me

Honestly dude I was a crappy staff accountant and a mixed bag as a senior. Attention to detail? No that poo poo is not for me. When I was creating models or doing super complex things, awesome, but filling out and triple checking an invoice? gently caress that.

Now I’m a CFO and it’s much better. There are people who love getting the numbers just right or doing manual entry. Do your best, do your time and move on to the next job, accounting is very broad and once you get some experience you’ll find a job you like and are good at.

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023
One thing I am struggling with is that I don't have a car and use public transportation here in Chicago and I will meet with a firm at a job fair and that is a deal breaker for them or they are based way out in the suburbs with no transit access. I went to a job fair today and the firm said that there used to be bus service in front of their office but no longer but they would not consider making the role remote. I wouldn't be able to get a car until I got a job but even then I am not sure if I would want one because there is no place to park it in my neighborhood and Chicago is aggressive in tickets in order to raise revenue. Chicago's government doesn't seem to want people to have cars.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Zoeb posted:

One thing I am struggling with is that I don't have a car and use public transportation here in Chicago and I will meet with a firm at a job fair and that is a deal breaker for them or they are based way out in the suburbs with no transit access. I went to a job fair today and the firm said that there used to be bus service in front of their office but no longer but they would not consider making the role remote. I wouldn't be able to get a car until I got a job but even then I am not sure if I would want one because there is no place to park it in my neighborhood and Chicago is aggressive in tickets in order to raise revenue. Chicago's government doesn't seem to want people to have cars.

I also worked audit in Chicago and you absolutely need a car. All the housing and the firms are in downtown, but basically all of the clients are out in the suburbs. Sucks but that’s just how the city works. I left because I was so goddam sick of the hour plus commute every day

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Annointed posted:

How
Only 2 were good to send

Like Good Citizen said, try not to get into a spiral . It's hard but you need to try to relax. Focus on one thing at a time. That's honestly my motto, one thing at a time, I can't do everything at once and if I try mistakes happen. So every tax season as my desk descends into a pit of folders I just try to pick one thing I can finish and then go on to the next and so on and so forth.

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Good Citizen posted:

I also worked audit in Chicago and you absolutely need a car. All the housing and the firms are in downtown, but basically all of the clients are out in the suburbs. Sucks but that’s just how the city works. I left because I was so goddam sick of the hour plus commute every day

I don't know what I am going to do then.

I was thinking of just not doing audit and doing tax or being a staff accountant instead.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I received a discuplinary hearing over me not pulling my weight.

They seem towant to help me succeed.

I just hate how I cannot seem to find the right words to explain myself.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 13, 2023

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Annointed posted:

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I received a discuplinary hearing over me not pulling my weight.

They seem towant to help me succeed.

I just hate how I cannot seem to find the right words to explain myself.

This is probably not what you want to hear since I know you struggled getting this job, and some people may disagree with me, but it’s probably time to start submitting apps again. Even for employers who see themselves as having good intentions it’s real hard to get back into their positive graces after having that conversation/reprimand. And for employers without good intentions they’re just a way to cover your rear end against wrongful termination suits.

Also it sounds like they suck if they’re this critical of such a new staff

Obviously don’t quit while job searching

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Good Citizen posted:

Also it sounds like they suck if they’re this critical of such a new staff

its a little crazy imho that they would be doing a disciplinary meeting so early on.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Wait wait maybe it wasn't disciplinary just the controller taking me to their office and explaining what is going on and what they can do to help. They did make me sign a paper as proof I did get this meeting

Just gently caress feels like everything in my head is going wrong.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Annointed posted:

Wait wait maybe it wasn't disciplinary just the controller taking me to their office and explaining what is going on and what they can do to help. They did make me sign a paper as proof I did get this meeting

Just gently caress feels like everything in my head is going wrong.

If you signed something it’s a formal reprimand

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Good Citizen posted:

If you signed something it’s a formal reprimand

Well I'm hosed then I guess :(

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
How long have you been there? I just feel bad that you are in a lovely situation so early on.

Seriously just stay positive and don’t let any of it get to you. Easier said than done, of course, but it sounds like they aren’t giving you a fair learning curve is my first instinct.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

19 o'clock posted:

How long have you been there? I just feel bad that you are in a lovely situation so early on.

Seriously just stay positive and don’t let any of it get to you. Easier said than done, of course, but it sounds like they aren’t giving you a fair learning curve is my first instinct.

4 weeks. hosed up September Closing.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I don't understand the point of "discipline" or "coaching" like it's a middle school. Either this person has potential to be a valuable part of the team and you train them up where they're deficient, or I guess it's just a step toward letting them go. As if accounting grads grow on trees these days.

A person mentioned earlier that they got fired from an internship. That is insane; interns are supposed to be learning, any productivity they create is incidental.

What the gently caress is wrong with the industry these days?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Annointed posted:

That is an insanely quick turnaround to get live responsibilities for month end closing. I got a full practice month and a handheld closing-in-tandem month before being set loose and my role is operational reporting and I came in with years of experience.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Yeah, sounds like incompetent management to me.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Annointed posted:

Gabriel Grub posted:

Yeah, sounds like incompetent management to me.

For real. The problem is squarely on them if they think a brand new staff level accountant is going to handle their first close with zero issues. As a new hire no less!

You’re not crazy and you don’t suck, OP. The situation is unreasonable. Don’t let it get to you.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Democratic Pirate posted:

That is an insanely quick turnaround to get live responsibilities for month end closing. I got a full practice month and a handheld closing-in-tandem month before being set loose and my role is operational reporting and I came in with years of experience.

This! I’m experienced and jobs I’m interviewing for are quoting me months of learning curve time. Any sane manager is going to create that space to learn.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

19 o'clock posted:

For real. The problem is squarely on them if they think a brand new staff level accountant is going to handle their first close with zero issues. As a new hire no less!

You’re not crazy and you don’t suck, OP. The situation is unreasonable. Don’t let it get to you.

I agree but this dude has had trouble finding a job so it especially sucks

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Good Citizen posted:

it especially sucks

Blue Ribbon Pooper
Feb 27, 2011

19 o'clock posted:

Yeah this sounds like a shithole. I would just look for a new role or look for tax/audit stuff if you don’t want to book journal entries.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Good news mates. Was able to do a close with mostly done. Been taken off of my third property so only looking at two properties now instead of three. Everything scanned, signed and posted and paid with checks sent out. I hope this weekend helps me not lose my head.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Good work and happy to hear it! I still think it's crazy they threw that much at you. Next close you'll be even more inured to the nonsense and be able to move through it easier. It all builds as you know.

Let me talk to your boss so I can laugh in their face and shake them.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Good news got through my queue for one property. It the other one that being a pain. Ngl mate i am hating how much my boss is constantly having me calc my completion rate of invoices.

Yes i loving know that despite others helping me I am only finishing invoices every 8.7 min is not acceptable. No I don't like how I'm slowing down to try to figure out problems like incomplete invoices or not having a packing slip. They are fraying my nerves.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Sometimes I regret being in public tax and then I see poo poo like that and think it could be worse

ist
Mar 9, 2007
lurkin since '01

ist fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 2, 2023

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

What you've described sounds awful.

ist posted:

Please understand that the way your boss is managing you is extremely atypical and that you will have a much better experience working elsewhere. I'm not saying you should necessarily quit immediately without something lined up -- looks like it took you awhile to find that job and it may be a struggle to find another right away (especially if it's your only relevant work experience), but at least know that it will be better when you find a new place to work.

You can also try looking for entry level accountant roles at a non-profit if you live close to a somewhat major city. Most will have slightly lower pay than the for-profit equivalent role but they also have much more reasonable expectations.

This.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

ist posted:

Please understand that the way your boss is managing you is extremely atypical and that you will have a much better experience working elsewhere. I'm not saying you should necessarily quit immediately without something lined up -- looks like it took you awhile to find that job and it may be a struggle to find another right away (especially if it's your only relevant work experience), but at least know that it will be better when you find a new place to work.

You can also try looking for entry level accountant roles at a non-profit if you live close to a somewhat major city. Most will have slightly lower pay than the for-profit equivalent role but they also have much more reasonable expectations.

Have you worked at nonprofits? Because no. Nonprofit accounting roles are extremely uneven. Some are great. Others are not.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

ist posted:

Strongly agree with this part of the post

Not to say there aren’t little accounting fiefdoms run by shithead Controllers all over the industry, but it’s more the exception than the rule. Most people rightly realize that this is an apprenticeship profession and taking on a fresh staff is like adopting a new puppy and a big commitment of your time and understanding. And they know that because they remember being a dumb as hell staff themselves

Really wishing you the best at either finding a new job or coping cause it sounds bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Good Citizen posted:

Most people rightly realize that this is an apprenticeship profession and taking on a fresh staff is like adopting a new puppy and a big commitment of your time and understanding. And they know that because they remember being a dumb as hell staff themselves

This was literally me when I graduated college and got my first job.