Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't know if this is kosher to post (I'll delete if not) because to my knowledge it's not available anywhere else after its short run on Fear Dot Net but apparently there's a short prequel film to JT Petty's Burrowers called Blood Red Earth and it's here on vimeo.

If you don't post it here, in a couple years you won't even be able to find this. Much appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

checkplease posted:

Is the ghost camera thing part of the ride now? I don’t remember it being there but felt like a new ride feature they were setting up.

Also what’s the name of the documentary, sounds fun.

It seemed to me that those little floating particles that came out when the ghost camera went off were meant to reference Hong Kong Disney's version of the Haunted Mansion where they have "magical dust" that floats around in a similar way. Which of course was something I wasn't aware of until I watched the doc episode about it. Apparently the Hong Kong version of Haunted Mansion had to be completely different due to their issues with ghosts over there. They had to focus a lot more on magic.

It's a series called Behind the Attraction on Disney+, so you unfortunately need Disney+ to watch it. But they have episodes on Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain, etc etc

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

I can hear this artwork.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Night Flier (1997)

Hilario Baldness posted:

Storm of the Century

STAC Goat posted:

I also just rewatched Graveyard Shift and I’ll stand by it as a fun grimey pic.

Hollismason posted:

Dolores Claiborne.

A Fancy Hat posted:

Desperation

Thanks, I think we are 0 for 5 on these so I'll have to see which ones I can track down on streaming. We were actually watching Rose Red yesterday which I why I asked, though like someone suggested I was doing housework the whole time lol

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I thought Graveyard Shift and Dolores Claiborne were theatrical releases.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I want to stand in a popup art museum and walk past these, fingering my chin and nodding sagely.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

FreudianSlippers posted:

Does Owen Wilson get decapitated by a comically large Lion pendulum in a fireplace?
Excuse me, that is a Flue - a completely normal thing which every fireplace has.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Gang, I don't think I like Giallos. They're just not fun, they're frustrating, slow, out of focus and badly framed most of the time, and it sucks because everyone says they're great but I just don't see it.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is that Paddington?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

paddington 2

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Paddington 2: Beware of Bear

But seriously folks, excellent work.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I'd buy that for a dollar! (but no seriously let me know if you wanna sell this one at some point)

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Shrecknet posted:

Gang, I don't think I like Giallos. They're just not fun, they're frustrating, slow, out of focus and badly framed most of the time, and it sucks because everyone says they're great but I just don't see it.

I'm with you on that. I've watched a fair amount and I've never enjoyed any. I don't know how people can watch these poorly dubbed movies and not be distracted by the voices not matching the actor or syncing with their lips.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Shrecknet posted:

I feel like giallo has always been a 50/50 proposition, even in here with all the horror freaks. There's never really been a shortage of people who just don't click with them.

Personally I do like them but I also tend to gravitate more towards the more supernatural oriented Italian films of that time rather than the straight giallo. Suspiria, Inferno, The Beyond, stuff like that rather than the more straightforward murder mysteries.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

C-Euro posted:

Thanks, I think we are 0 for 5 on these so I'll have to see which ones I can track down on streaming. We were actually watching Rose Red yesterday which I why I asked, though like someone suggested I was doing housework the whole time lol

Out of the choices available I'd try and get a hold of Storm of the Century.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

I don't know you but I love you.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

lmao

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Chucky new episode: Really love the idea of shady secret agent guys covering up Chucky's murders. Really fun conceit for the season. I can't wait for President Devon Sawa to reveal to the american people he thinks he is being haunted by a killer doll.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Shrecknet posted:

Tenebrae is the only one that landed for me. And Suspiria but I don't know if that counts

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, I've always bounced off giallo too. There's usually some ideas in there I love but I find a lot of what else is going on interminable. The underwater secret basement in Inferno? loving amazing.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

How's When Evil Lurks? The premise sounds interesting and the theater I have a membership to has a showing in 2 hours and I don't have gently caress all else to do so I'm thinking about checking it out. Worth checking out for 50 cents?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Some good giallo films that aren't typically giallo and might appeal to people who don't like the genre:

Short Night of Glass Dolls (1971)

An American journalist in Prague wakes up in a square in Prague and realizes he can't move a muscle or make a sound. He is picked up by an ambulance and presumed dead. The events of the film are him trying to piece together the hazy recollections of the last few days to figure out what happened to him and try to snap out of it before his own autopsy.

The film has elements of a conspiracy thriller which, along with the interesting framing device, helps elevate it above a standard whodunnit. Good Ennio Morricone soundtrack as well.

The Suspicious Death of a Minor (1975)

A cheeky wisecracking detective investigates a murder connected to a network of human trafficking targeting underage girls.

A mash-up of a crime procedural (or Poliziotteschi as the Italians call the genre) and a giallo. Feels oddly like a proto-Beverley Hills Cop in a few scenes with a number of jokes and gags some of them quite slapstick like a scene where the cops are chasing suspects and they run past an old man on a crosswalk so fast that he falls over and spins around on his head as if he were breakdancing. The tonal whiplash of the action-comedy cop stuff clashing with very gritty and sleazy nature of the central crime makes it pretty interesting.

Suspiria (1977)
You might've heard of this one. An innovative mix of supernatural horror and giallo from a director who was then mostly known for making fairly grounded giallos who decided to shake things up by making a supernatural horror film.

Visually gorgeous. Killer soundtrack. Turns out the murderer is an ancient witch

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I was in a bookstore in Italy once, despite barely being able to read a single word of the language, and after getting over the fact that Italy is a large enough linguistic area that 99% of the books were in Italian* I was mildly amused to see the section labeled "GIALLI" which had everything from Agatha Christie to modern Nordic Noir stuff to older hardboiled detective pulp.

*Despite one in ten Icelanders publishing a book at least once and books being a pretty Big Deal in the culture Icelandic bookstores largely sell books in English making this sort of monolingualism fascinating to me.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, the label means yellow and it's just because pulp novels used to communicate have yellow covers in Italy so giallo became shorthand for like exploitation thrillers.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

sigher posted:

How's When Evil Lurks? The premise sounds interesting and the theater I have a membership to has a showing in 2 hours and I don't have gently caress all else to do so I'm thinking about checking it out. Worth checking out for 50 cents?

I assume you made your choice by now, but I'd say anything Shudder puts their money behind is a 60/40 split on quality. Not a bad gamble for 50 cents. Director's last movie was "Terrified" which I liked quite a bit and the trailer looks good

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

I assume you made your choice by now, but I'd say anything Shudder puts their money behind is a 60/40 split on quality. Not a bad gamble for 50 cents

That's true, might as well give it a shot and eat some hotdogs while I'm at it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Giallo Biafra

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

ruddiger posted:

Giallo Biafra

Mods pls change my username to this

tia

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Work is done, I’m filled with vyvanse. It’s time to watch VHS85

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

King TV movies that should be watched have been mentioned (Storm, Night Flier) but I’m not gonna lie I also have a soft spot for The Langoliers.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/saw/status/1694109334136119688?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

If you havent kept up with Kane Pixels recently he just finished a banger of a three parter

Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DYOG1RuJ4w

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjY897CCu4g

Part 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWNMsZ44ooc

my palms were legit sweaty at the end. just excellently done.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

best bathroom scene is definitely The Shining, what a gorgeous room

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

dorium posted:

my palms were legit sweaty at the end. just excellently done.

This is excellent stuff but I just learned that every single mall I used to visit in my home town closed over covid and are being torn down and that has weirdly colored my watch of The Rolling Giant.

Like, yeah, the horrifying under ground mall is all dilapidated and poo poo, and yes, the 12ft tall animate puppet is probably murderous, but maybe it would be kind of cozy to walk around for a little bit? The narrator might have been a bit more relaxed in his subterranean hell realm if he took a moment to enjoy the vibes, is all I'm saying.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 12, 2023

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

C-Euro posted:

You can find a lot of King tv stuff on the Internet Archive if that helps. And Night Flier is on YouTube.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Happy Fall of the House of Usher day to all who celebrate :toot: about to start ep1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

This is excellent stuff but I just learned that every single mall I used to visit in my home town closed over covid and are being torn down and that has weirdly colored my watch of The Rolling Giant.

Like, yeah, the horrifying under ground mall is all dilapidated and poo poo, and yes, the 12ft tall animate puppet is probably murderous, but maybe it would be kind of cozy to walk around for a little bit? The narrator might have been a bit more relaxed in his subterranean hell realm if he took a moment to enjoy the vibes, is all I'm saying.

check out Dan Bell's Dead Mall series on YouTube, it's just meandering through closing or closed malls and is very relaxing