Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It looks like there was at least one smartass pointing at the spanish/french border

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Edit- Wrong thread.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 10, 2023

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

cheetah7071 posted:

that distribution looks like 'i don't know but the form requires me to pick a location; I can't answer that I have no idea' so they just click randomly

i always assume that some people just click without even reading the question just to get it over quicker

this is just generally a problem in designing surveys and getting around it is really tricky. like its very common for respondents to just click the left-most button to every question, or to rate every interaction as a 5 no matter what.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

People rate every interaction as 5 because they know the survey's actual checkbooks are 4 'screw this guy over' choices and one neutral.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Tunicate posted:

People rate every interaction as 5 because they know the survey's actual checkbooks are 4 'screw this guy over' choices and one neutral.

people do that for surveys that have nothing to do with customer service feedback

they also rate 1 all the time but its somewhat lower because people have a funny bias in surveys toward just saying the affirmative, even when they're affirming really lovely things

Pendevil
Jun 18, 2007

zoux posted:

Personally, I think Iran is at Point Nemo

Yeah but no one thinks Iran is in the ocean or in America

I am reminded that a lot of years ago, I worked with a guy who, on a break, very sagely and confidently told me that he was certain that Osama Bin Laden was hiding out in Islam.

"Where is Islam?" I asked.

"Somewhere by Iran."

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pendevil posted:

I am reminded that a lot of years ago, I worked with a guy who, on a break, very sagely and confidently told me that he was certain that Osama Bin Laden was hiding out in Islam.

"Where is Islam?" I asked.

"Somewhere by Iran."

Maybe he meant Islamabad, and if so he wasn't that far off.

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
Wowie zowie i had no idea:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Best half dragon:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You guys should stop calling people fuhrers.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

zoux posted:

You guys should stop calling people fuhrers.

Lukas gets a pass.

Michael Ende posted:

Lokomotiven haben zwar keinen großen Verstand – deshalb brauchen sie ja auch immer einen Führer.

Zopotantor fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 10, 2023

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Telsa Cola posted:

Me being asked to identify Baghdad and pointing to Bagdad, AZ. When I am told am incorrect I nod sagely and point to Bagdad, CA

What a maroon. Bagdad is just outside Hobart, Tasmania.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What did Titus build that arch to commemorate, Italy???

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Spinning in his mausoleum I tell you what

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Crushing a revolt in a fortified urban zone?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Arglebargle III posted:

That sure is a choice.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BeijingPalmer/status/1711857195678072945

*notices bvlge*

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I don't understand, Latin doesn't have the letter w

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

They do, ve moderns just drav it vierd.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Vatchu talkin' bout, Villis?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

doesn't the lack of 'w' save us from it being spelled "weni, widi, wici"?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Mr. Fix It posted:

doesn't the lack of 'w' save us from it being spelled "weni, widi, wici"?

the real snobs spell it ueni, uidi, uici

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Uwueni, uwuidi, uwuici.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Real real nerds vse v instead of u at every opportvnity.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Does carbonized mean burned?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

zoux posted:

They were basically turned into charcoal by the intense heat of the eruption. Different from burning since they still exist.

I hope that is legit, I saw it earlier but the guy behind it is a tech weirdo whose first instinct was to tag in Elon Musk so I don't trust him. But if it really is a way to read them then sure whatever, let's see them scrolls.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, pretty much

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Yes, very much so.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I think the difference is they were buried so there wasn't any oxygen for combustion, just the heat transforming the material. But I am not sure if that's how it works.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
is charcoal burned? burned is a word for literally thousands of weird little oxidation reactions, the set of which is completely different at different levels of oxygen

you can write out the chemical equations for pure hydrocarbons relatively easily but that aint no pure hydrocarbon

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Basically I was asking if that was possible through a process that didn't involve insane amounts of heat

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
oxygen is the main thing, you could do it yourself if you shove things under a pile o dirt or something

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Grand Fromage posted:

I hope that is legit, I saw it earlier but the guy behind it is a tech weirdo whose first instinct was to tag in Elon Musk so I don't trust him. But if it really is a way to read them then sure whatever, let's see them scrolls.

I dunno if he's actually a trained historian, but Gareth Harney is fairly well regarded as far as I know

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
C'mon Lives of Ancient Whores!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Benagain posted:

C'mon Lives of Ancient Whores!

Unfortunately, Suetonius was a kid when Vesuvius blew up

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

They were basically turned into charcoal by the intense heat of the eruption. Different from burning since they still exist.

more details here

https://scrollprize.org/firstletters

some complicated series of machine learning stuff, first to "flatten" the 3d CT scans of the still-rolled originals, then to detect ink itself, then to detect characters. that then gets independently verified by a bunch of experts.

first guy found 'porphyras' then a second guy independently found the same word with a different method, plus a couple more words (and supposedly has even more promising model runs more recently, but that first bit was enough for second place)

eke out fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 12, 2023

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Unfortunately, Suetonius was a kid when Vesuvius blew up

C'mon works that were used for sources for Lives of Famous Whores!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

When something is carbonized it's heated hot enough in an oxygen poor environment to decompose every organic functional group that isn't carbon, so it drives off oxygen, nitrogen and hydrogen atoms as water and gasses. What's left is an amorphous carbon foam that is like charcoal in chemical composition.

The upshot is that metallic pigments aren't anything like as volatile as the stuff getting driven off in the carbonization process, so there's probably still a bunch of iron atoms where the ink was on the page. With a clever scanner setup you can probably read the scrolls still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

❗️

eke out posted:

more details here

https://scrollprize.org/firstletters

some complicated series of machine learning stuff, first to "flatten" the 3d CT scans of the still-rolled originals, then to detect ink itself, then to detect characters. that then gets independently verified by a bunch of experts.

first guy found 'porphyras' then a second guy independently found the same word with a different method, plus a couple more words (and supposedly has even more promising model runs more recently, but that first bit was enough for second place)

This is so cool, thank you!

edit:

quote:

Why were we successful?

There were many contributions from different people in the critical path for these discoveries. Our combination of competition and open source (through “progress prizes”) seems to work! To highlight a few key contributions:

Youssef used a model from the Kaggle competition and was inspired by Luke’s results to look in the same area.
Luke’s search for crackle was directly inspired by Casey’s work.
Casey was able to look through many sheets of papyrus because our segmentation team had mapped out hundreds of cm2.
The segmentation team was able to map out a lot of papyrus because of tooling built by contestants who worked on “Segmentation Tooling Prizes” (work by Julian Schilliger, Chuck, Yao Hsiao, and many others).
The segmentation tooling advances were possible because contestants built on top of existing open source tools by professor Seales’ team (work by Seth Parker, Stephen Parsons, and many others).

And of course, the contest itself wouldn’t have been possible without the foundation that Dr. Seales and his team, along with their funders, have laid out and continue to support.

Looking back at what got us to this point, it seems that almost every single thing we did in running this contest so far has been load-bearing. We’re not quite sure what to make of this! Perhaps that progress is more fragile and success is more contingent than it often seems in retrospect.
I like this part at the end where they point out each discovery/development and step of translation has built a daisy chain of community progress. I think that's lovely :)

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 13, 2023