Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Sep. 20, 1959)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Dustin

Get Fuzzy 10/11/03

Brenda Starr 11/11/51

Smokey Stover 5/5/57

Everyday Movies 11/9/36

"Lookit me -- I didn't have a job for months, so now I have to get one with three bosses suddenly."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 5/10/42

Bonus Ad! "This is how kids today talk, right?"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Haifisch posted:

Special from the 81 paper: COMPUTERS

Crossposted this to the Tech Relics thread, where it'll be appreciated. :hfive:

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 11/11/51
What exactly was the story here supposed to be, that warranted sending the paper's best journalist? A guy got lost in the woods. Hadn't even been lost long enough for them to have started searching yet. And what information can a journalist gather in person that Gibbs couldn't have communicated in the message requesting their presence?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

you broke my grill posted:

former Marine and cop is aghast that his daughter is helping the disadvantaged

Why do I get the distinct feeling that the comic strip Mary Worth is going to come down on the dad's side of this debate ("Helping people" vs "It's cool to wield power with impunity")

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Sep. 20, 1959)

In all my readings that's not the way feudalism works. Small bandit raids are YOUR problem. Gimmi my loving money or the force that I will send out will just take over your holdings since you cant run them yourself.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Crab Dad posted:

In all my readings that's not the way feudalism works. Small bandit raids are YOUR problem. Gimmi my loving money or the force that I will send out will just take over your holdings since you cant run them yourself.

I think that's definitely step 2 but this is a moderately more heroic reading of history so Val needs things to do that they can put in the funny pages

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Murdstone posted:

If it involves Luann, it is definitely not about sex.

The creators of the strip seem weirdly split-brained about sex. On the one hand, you've got that Luann abstinence-only educational comic, and on the other hand, you've got that Bets and Gun book in which they have a standing-up gently caress in a campground shower room.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (October 15, 1935)

Peanuts (October 14, 1976)

Crankshaft

I kid about Mutt and Jeff just being random strips on shuffle play, but I swear it's only been a few months since we saw this one.

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (October 25-27, 1934)

Thimble Theater (May 16, 1940)

Out Our Way (January 14-16, 1943)

And a one-shot(?) bonus: The Gremlins, a short-lived feature by editorial cartoonist Dorman Smith. This is kind of an odd one, because Walt Disney and RAF Flight Lieutenant Road Dahl were in the process of popularizing (and copyrighting, because Disney) the concept of the little monsters who make aircraft go haywire. For a variety of reasons, the concept never got past the printed page (some of those printed pages being illustrated by Walt Kelly), but in the meantime, everyone else was taking a crack at the concept, which (not originating from Disney or Dahl) wasn't copyrighted enough.

Which brings us to...this. In Smith's non-Disney-infringing take on "sabotaging imps", they not only pop tires and bust water pipes but function as little shoulder devils who are running the show because the angel took the day off. That last angle is the one we get in this slice, which makes it feel like a Everett True riff.

(January 14-16, 1943; the strip ran from January 4-May 15.)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 12, 2023

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

EasyEW posted:

And a one-shot(?) bonus: The Gremlins, a short-lived feature by editorial cartoonist Dorman Smith. This is kind of an odd one, because Walt Disney and RAF Flight Lieutenant Road Dahl were in the process of popularizing (and copyrighting, because Disney) the concept of the little monsters who make aircraft go haywire. For a variety of reasons, the concept never got past the printed page (some of those printed pages being illustrated by Walt Kelly), but in the meantime, everyone else was taking a crack at the concept, which (not originating from Disney or Dahl) wasn't copyrighted enough.

Which brings us to...this. At least in this slice, Smith's non-Disney-infringing take on "sabotaging imps" is that they're little shoulder devils who are running the show because the angel took the day off. It looks like they did eventually pop a few tires and bust some water pipes, but this sample feels like a Everett True riff.

I didn't know there was a copyright battle over the idea of Gremlins around WWII - I remember them from the 1943 Bugs Bunny short so I guess that adds another army to that battle.

Edit: This one: https://looneytunes.fandom.com/wiki/The_Gremlin

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
A rare Out Our Way wimmin' be shoppin' but at least it's not the actual punchline, just the setting

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tiggum posted:

Did I miss the part where Aristotle explained why he won't marry Heather?
Yeah I haven't been posting the Sundays because I have to go out of my way a little to get them, but maybe I'll start doing that.

Bit anyways here are the last two Sundays.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Why isn't he more concerned about whether or not this is his daughter? That would likely be the primary part of the conversation I would be having at this moment.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (January 14-16, 1943)

My brain is broken and I keep wondering why the kids are doing constant ahegao face.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Every retail job I've had let the store staff do their own inventory, so I'm not familiar with the stereotype of external inventory teams being unsociable and sketchy. Is it just a running gag that this comic invented?

Edit: Also, hell yeah, Rie and Hiren.

Kid Fenris fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 12, 2023

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Kid Fenris posted:

Every retail job I've had let the store staff do their own inventory, so I'm not familiar with the stereotype of external inventory teams being unsociable and sketchy. Is it just a running gag that this comic invented?

It was a thing at my wife's stores she managed in the late 90s through 00's. This is all very close to the truth. She worked at Limited Too and Tilly's.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Recall all the least accountable people in a retail store staff. You know, don't really care until they get directly punished. Next have a group of staff doing a super monotonous task that go from one store to the next and anything that goes wrong is the fault of the store staff in the aspect of the business where you're nearly guaranteed to have bad news.

Now I'm not saying "all merchandise count teams must be jerks" but I can certainly see how it can happen. :haw:

I see Mark Tail might be considering using the one fresh idea Jules brought to the strip after 2 years of not doing that. I'm sure she'll be very consistent and attentive here.

Jucika "316 - Jucika Reconciles"

"317 - Jucika At The Beach"

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Doomykins posted:

Recall all the least accountable people in a retail store staff. You know, don't really care until they get directly punished. Next have a group of staff doing a super monotonous task that go from one store to the next and anything that goes wrong is the fault of the store staff in the aspect of the business where you're nearly guaranteed to have bad news.

Now I'm not saying "all merchandise count teams must be jerks" but I can certainly see how it can happen. :haw:

I see Mark Tail might be considering using the one fresh idea Jules brought to the strip after 2 years of not doing that. I'm sure she'll be very consistent and attentive here.

Jucika "316 - Jucika Reconciles"

"317 - Jucika At The Beach"

Silly girl dont give away feet views for free.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Bull-loving-poo poo.

(Yes, I know: not the thread for it, this is a stupid caricature, etc.)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Kid Fenris posted:

There's a whole company called RGIS (pronounced "Regis") that does this and it's as much of a shitshow as described here

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Bull-loving-poo poo.

(Yes, I know: not the thread for it, this is a stupid caricature, etc.)

Never met an undergrad anarchist before?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Stultus Maximus posted:

Never met an undergrad anarchist before?

Actually, no, but that wasn't the character to whom the post was directed.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Crab Dad posted:

My brain is broken and I keep wondering why the kids are doing constant ahegao face.

Terrible vitamin deficiencies have given them poor control over their facial musculature.

Shugojin posted:

There's a whole company called RGIS (pronounced "Regis") that does this and it's as much of a shitshow as described here

The in-comic company is called EG-RGIS (or something like that), so I think Feuti has experience with the source material.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 12, 2023

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Kid Fenris posted:

I did inventory overnights for 5 years working at Blockbuster. There it was all internal staff (store manager, to their credit, 1 or 2 sub-managers, and 2-3 underlings), so any unaccounted items were docked against the store.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
I’ve got a bit of a backlog worked up, so I’ll switch to 2 pages a day as long as I can.
We Are Reproducing

Getting ahead in translating it, most of the prologue will maybe not be “interesting” to the modern reader, as it’s basically a no-nonsense, non-romanticized description of “what it’s like to have a baby,” but again that was pretty radical 30 years ago, and the chapter does spend some time specifically addressing some misconceptions and prejudices.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Kid Fenris posted:

Not necessarily unsociable and sketchy but yeah, there's something unsettling about a team of strangers coming into your store after closing and acting like they own the place and bossing you around.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

What exactly was the story here supposed to be, that warranted sending the paper's best journalist? A guy got lost in the woods. Hadn't even been lost long enough for them to have started searching yet. And what information can a journalist gather in person that Gibbs couldn't have communicated in the message requesting their presence?

Today's installment finally reveals he's a "prominent playboy," and one law of journalism is that if something happens to someone famous and/or wealthy, it's automatically newsworthy.

Pogo 8/5/51

Archie 5/31 - 6/2/48

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Better Living Through Monetizing What Makes You Unique

Dracin' Off

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 18: Maggie's Party Part 1

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

I didn’t have to draw all those roofs, but I did. No one’s asking for this.

The attitudes of the various witches to Rev Penrose was seen in issue 4 of Steeple:

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

i really really love the juxtaposition of Lefty's flowing hair with his flowing sleeve - like yes i know it is 100% intentional and symbolic in exactly the ways it appears but gods it is so good every time i just want to hoot and holler

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
e: whoops doublepost

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Q-rais
[spoilered for nudity]

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Would you guys quit spoilering all the nudity. Some of us are hungry for leg of lamb.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ACAB

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (September 9-12, 2003)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Haifisch posted:

1981 comics

I know it's hard to believe, Mary, but people with physical disabilities get married from time to time.

amigolupus posted:

Prudence, you absolute dumb gently caress. You just stabbed the Director and the Demons in the back with the biggest knife you can find. What makes you think he'll agree to do an interview with you?

Because the people in this comic live for the drama

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 5/10/42

Problematic as the storyline was, I liked the part of the Modesty Blaise story where Willie pretended to be a genie and got around this problem by saying, "Sorry, kid, I'm a lovely genie."

Luann

Gil Thorp