Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
I watched the first ep of Otona Precure without having seen the show(s) it's a sequel to and had a great time, I'd actually call it the most intriguing premiere of the ones I saw

I do think it helps to have seen a precure at least just because it builds directly on the structures & ideas common to those shows and I was able to fill in a lot of blanks based on the precures I did see, but at the end of the day even that isn't like Necessary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think it would be yellow if you have red-green color blindness.

Also interesting definition of nerd if it covers punk music kid who works in a record store and actually makes moves.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

it's a hair more green than optic yellow

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's the same color as my lime green game boy color, and nintendo would never lie to me

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

drat. I think its a neat idea to explore adult life for characters from a very teen-focused genre like that.
doing it with yes in particular is neat because the villain is very specifically terrified of aging

so its cool to tie a thematic bow on that, in the show they just talk about their dreams for the future which works fine in a kids show way but having the characters actually get to exist as adults is a good contrast

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

I saw this a few months ago, too. I'd see it again if I could round up some friends or if it doesn't screen too far away.

If recent movies are fair game for this thread, I saw Blue Giant earlier this week, not knowing much about it other than that it was about jazz music and was based on an award-winning manga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUf5R-MzITU

The plot and dialogue were average—I think two or three different characters uttered the words "so, this is jazz" after hearing a saxophone for seemingly the first time, and there was also a bit of a twist I smelled coming a couple minutes before it happened that I rolled my eyes at. There were also some parts that felt like exposition dumps that I'm guessing were vestigial leftovers from cramming a bunch of manga volumes into a single film.

The music itself was quite good. I believe there are three or four original pieces the group plays throughout the film and they were all enjoyable. You would hope that a jazz anime would be a little creative with the animation during the musical performances—and there are some great sequences with a synesthetic quality to them—but about 80% of the animation during these parts is really jarring CG. I know making GBS threads on CG is trite, but it really killed the enthusiasm I felt for the good stuff that was in there. Some of it also seemed to be reused.

I left the theater feeling a little disappointed, but overall happy to have given it a shot. The soundtrack is also on Spotify if you type in "Blue Giant," listed under the composer's name "Hiromi."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZKDdzqN6B4

In other anime movie news, Cinemark has been doing a Ghibli revival this year (which is how I saw the trailers for Blue Giant). Halloween weekend will be the final one for the year, Spirited Away. Miyazaki's next film—The Boy and the Heron or How Do You Live?—is also supposed to premiere December 8.

They're also showing some Satoshi Kon films plus Cowboy Bebop: The Movie and the original Ghost in the Shell going into February. I missed seeing Perfect Blue last month because as far as I can tell there was no advertising for this series other than a single poster in my theater.

Is there any way to keep up when theaters screen anime films, old and new? Even clicking on the "animated" tag on Fandango doesn't list Spirited Away. I also missed roughly half of the Ghibli films they screened this year.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Endorph posted:

doing it with yes in particular is neat because the villain is very specifically terrified of aging

so its cool to tie a thematic bow on that, in the show they just talk about their dreams for the future which works fine in a kids show way but having the characters actually get to exist as adults is a good contrast

This actually makes me more interested, I think Ill give it a shot.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

chumbler posted:

I think it would be yellow if you have red-green color blindness.

Also interesting definition of nerd if it covers punk music kid who works in a record store and actually makes moves.

She's not an otaku, but she is an introvert who doesn't fit in well at school. The series plays a lot on gender and how that influences how she's seen. For example here, the same "aloof" and "tactless" trait that is looked at negatively when people view her as a girl, is instead seen as "cool" and "handsome" when she is being perceived as a guy. A guy that's a Loner is a James Dean Coolguy, a girl that's a Loner is some kind of social outcast, best avoided.

(and yup I know I'm r-g colorblind, lime-green & yellow is a recurring point of confusion for me)

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Orb Crabmelt posted:

In other anime movie news, Cinemark has been doing a Ghibli revival this year (which is how I saw the trailers for Blue Giant). Halloween weekend will be the final one for the year, Spirited Away. Miyazaki's next film—The Boy and the Heron or How Do You Live?—is also supposed to premiere December 8.

whaaaat...

This is really good to know, thanks for posting it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Orb Crabmelt posted:

Is there any way to keep up when theaters screen anime films, old and new? Even clicking on the "animated" tag on Fandango doesn't list Spirited Away. I also missed roughly half of the Ghibli films they screened this year.

Sadly there's no easy way, only way I'm able to catch them all is because I meticulously check the listings for all of the local theaters in my area every week since besides anime there's a lot of indie movies that only exist out there for a week or two at most.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Agronox posted:

whaaaat...

This is really good to know, thanks for posting it.

I'm sorry I didn't post about it earlier but it kept slipping my mind. I think they also showed a lot of Miyazaki's movies throughout last year, too, so you should get the chance to see them all in theaters if you keep your eyes peeled in 2024.

They tend to do only one screening a week of the dub and subtitled version each (different nights), though I think Spirited Away is getting a couple more screenings since it's one of the bigger ones.

Srice posted:

Sadly there's no easy way, only way I'm able to catch them all is because I meticulously check the listings for all of the local theaters in my area every week since besides anime there's a lot of indie movies that only exist out there for a week or two at most.

I guess I'll just have to get into the habit of searching for "Ghibli" on Fandango and ctrl+F-ing "animation" on Box Office Mojo every god drat week.

It's annoying as gently caress. Movie theater chains: I want to see the classics on a big screen! Let me give you my money!

edit: this site might help for anime and some other Japanese films, looks like a blog that gets manually updated

Orb Crabmelt fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 12, 2023

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Furnaceface posted:

drat. I think its a neat idea to explore adult life for characters from a very teen-focused genre like that.

Digimon Adventure also did the same thing with aging up its cast to high school (Digimon Adventure Tri, very bad don't watch it) and college age (Last Evolution Kizuna, somewhat divisive but I thought it was great). Real cool vibe to see characters you watched as a kid at the bar and just talking about things like how they're in college because they don't really know what they want to do in life, because wow that's what happened to me.

In a similar vein, I'd recommend the movie "Looking for Magical Doremi", which is about adult strangers coming together to connect about a show they really liked as kids. Probably has more Easter eggs if you're actually familiar with Ojamajo Doremi, but I wasn't and it's perfectly fine without it.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
You know, Toei might be milking a trend here

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
lmfao at colorblind guy but the manga looks good

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

Yes and Yes Go Go also having an arc where Nozomi started to work through a learning difficulties to discover she wanted to be a teacher in the future also gives some weight to the series than say other Precure would be able to do

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Checked out Kami Erabi God App and it was good hearing Alisa, Angela from Carole & Tuesday, doing the ED

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Yes and Yes Go Go also having an arc where Nozomi started to work through a learning difficulties to discover she wanted to be a teacher in the future also gives some weight to the series than say other Precure would be able to do
curious what the maho sequel they also announced will be like. im assuming itll pick up in the ending where they're late teens rather than being another timeskip.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Need to do a Tropical Rouge sequel so we can get more funny mermaid and funny seal

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Want to get back to "Shangri-La Frontier" for a sec, since I was away and missed the recent discussion. Maybe it has enough interest to deserve a seperate thread?

Enya-way, after reading most of the manga I feel the story shares a thing in common with sports anime: "Cocky-but-talented person finds that to achieve his ultimate goal he has to be better at working with his teammates." Whether it's baseball, volleyball, soccer, or curbstomping the poo poo out of a giant loving wolf in a VR game, the protagonist ends up having to work with a number of unlikely or unexpected allies in order to get it done. While he'll be bypassing a lot of things to achieve said goals, there will be acceptable reasons for most of it, mainly due to his being a skilled player who's successfully completed games that make "Gollum" look like "Balder's Gate 3," which gives him a mindset of "to win, you must abuse the rules." There's still plenty to make it feel like "BOFURI for Grognards," but I think it'll have enough of it's own flavor to make it worthwhile. If nothing else, the animation has been gorgeous, and I'm hoping C2C will be able to keep it up through two cours.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
S-Rank Daughter 03 was a bore
just full of standard dungeon clearing and jrpg punch and zapping. i'm here for daughter and dad

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

curious what the maho sequel they also announced will be like. im assuming itll pick up in the ending where they're late teens rather than being another timeskip.

They'll probably do it after the reunite yeah but I'd love for them to set it before Mirai reunites with Riko cause that ended being the best part of Maho girls and just so unlike Precure that it'd be an amazing full series if they expanded on it

Waffleman_ posted:

Need to do a Tropical Rouge sequel so we can get more funny mermaid and funny seal

Just build the sequel around this https://twitter.com/MonopolyMermaid/status/1691070150949130242

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Doodles posted:

Want to get back to "Shangri-La Frontier" for a sec, since I was away and missed the recent discussion. Maybe it has enough interest to deserve a seperate thread?

Enya-way, after reading most of the manga I feel the story shares a thing in common with sports anime: "Cocky-but-talented person finds that to achieve his ultimate goal he has to be better at working with his teammates." Whether it's baseball, volleyball, soccer, or curbstomping the poo poo out of a giant loving wolf in a VR game, the protagonist ends up having to work with a number of unlikely or unexpected allies in order to get it done. While he'll be bypassing a lot of things to achieve said goals, there will be acceptable reasons for most of it, mainly due to his being a skilled player who's successfully completed games that make "Gollum" look like "Balder's Gate 3," which gives him a mindset of "to win, you must abuse the rules." There's still plenty to make it feel like "BOFURI for Grognards," but I think it'll have enough of it's own flavor to make it worthwhile. If nothing else, the animation has been gorgeous, and I'm hoping C2C will be able to keep it up through two cours.

I'm in support of that.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017

GateOfD posted:

S-Rank Daughter 03 was a bore
just full of standard dungeon clearing and jrpg punch and zapping. i'm here for daughter and dad

But hey, at least that episode finally reunite the father and daughter. Nice of them to do that and not constantly teased their reunion and dragging things out.

Now let's see if it'll be Usagi Dropped or not. I hope it's not. That'll be really sucks and everyone will hate it.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I'm current with the manga and there's no creepy poo poo with the dad and daughter there.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I spend every minute thinking about whether an anime will end with incest. This is my normal mode of thought. It's how I've achieved normality.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That must be real awkward for the anime where incest is implied.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Your Everyday NEET posted:

But hey, at least that episode finally reunite the father and daughter. Nice of them to do that and not constantly teased their reunion and dragging things out.

Now let's see if it'll be Usagi Dropped or not. I hope it's not. That'll be really sucks and everyone will hate it.

Spoiler alert.

It doesn't. Instead the dad gets into some adventures while his daughter tries to hook him with some women his own age so that he won't be so alone.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

S-rank daughter is very wholesome. It is probably one of the most wholesome series out there.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wish it didn't have video game terms in the title

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
video games own bitch.....

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Wish it didn't have video game terms in the title

Its an absolutely minor issue, if it's one at all. The only videogame reference I can think of in the whole thing is the relative adventurer ranks. Game spells or skills or exp aren't a thing.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

S-rank is like the coolest video game term though

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

tfw you assume that every anime with a family will end the way that one single manga did

bred from the same mindset that every fantasy anime will be like goblin slayer and so you have to keep calling it out when 95% of them aren't

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

There is absolutely dark stuff that happens in S rank daughter, but the resolution to them is wholesome. Angelica and Belgrave are both good people as are the people who surround them, and I can confidently say that you won’t find anything objectionable about the protagonist as someone who has kept up with the English light novel.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

The 7th Guest posted:

tfw you assume that every anime with a family will end the way that one single manga did

It did happen a second time with the demon daughter. Insert that Doofenshmirtz meme here.

Rudoku fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 13, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
It took years of intense research. We had to assemble the brightest and cleverest minds in the industry. We ran tests. Group studies. Psychological experiments. Along the way we opened up new avenues for the human mind. Paths to a brighter future. But we didn't bother pursuing them. We had a more important goal to achieve. And we've arrived at that very achievement. We can say, clearly, with full certainty: there are two bad stories in existence.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Surprised it took so long when you could just read the Hero's Journey and find out all about the two bad story types there

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017

doomrider7 posted:

Spoiler alert.

It doesn't. Instead the dad gets into some adventures while his daughter tries to hook him with some women his own age so that he won't be so alone.

Oh. That's good. I can enjoy the anime without any worry now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rudoku posted:

It did happen a second time with the demon daughter. Insert that Doofenshmirtz meme here.
"demon daughter" is incredibly vague

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i just like. if you have that little faith in a story why are you giving it the time of day to begin with. how do you watch anything and not constantly worry it will take some inexplicable twist towards promoting the world's strangest and darkest evils. how do you look at every single show about a particular topic this way. i've watched lovely mecha and magical girl anime i hated that took really stupid turns midway through but my response wasn't to assume every single mecha anime in existence might do that at any moment and i must always keep my guard up lest they catch me by surprise. this just seems like such an uncomfortable mindset to look at anything through, on a base level