Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

frytechnician posted:

That clip is years old.

It's a very long conflict

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

This is pretty much all you need to watch and is exactly my sentiment to the T.

frytechnician posted:

That clip is years old.

And it hasn't aged a day. We've been watching a slow genocide for over 70 years now.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
If Hezbollah does open up another front against Israel, would the U.S. put boots on the ground there? Could Israel even handle them, considering they have around 150,000 missiles?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Willo567 posted:

If Hezbollah does open up another front against Israel, would the U.S. put boots on the ground there? Could Israel even handle them, considering they have around 150,000 missiles?

The US didn't put boots on the ground in 2006 so I don't know why they would now.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Charliegrs posted:

The US didn't put boots on the ground in 2006 so I don't know why they would now.

Because then Israel would be fighting both Hamas and Hezbollah simultaneously, which I'm not sure if they could handle

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Willo567 posted:

Because then Israel would be fighting both Hamas and Hezbollah simultaneously, which I'm not sure if they could handle

They were fighting Hezbollah and Hamas simultaneously in 2006. It was Hamas that kidnapped Gilad Shalit.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Willo567 posted:

Isn’t there a second carrier group being moved to the area now for this exact reason? The US doesn’t need to put “boots on the ground” to provide assistance if Hezbollah decides to gently caress around.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Charliegrs posted:

They were fighting Hezbollah and Hamas simultaneously in 2006. It was Hamas that kidnapped Gilad Shalit.

Yeah, but back then Israel didn't have the goal of completely dismantling Hamas like they do now. If Hezbollah opens a front, why wouldn't they make dismantling them a goal as well?

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
As a reminder, if you're going to talk about something someone said here, reply to or reference specific posts rather than making reference to a group or ideology, as that is posting about posters and often causes the people in the group who did not say these things to become indignant.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

mitztronic posted:

Isn’t there a second carrier group being moved to the area now for this exact reason? The US doesn’t need to put “boots on the ground” to provide assistance if Hezbollah decides to gently caress around.
Looks like just the Ford right now.

https://news.usni.org/2023/10/10/usni-news-fleet-and-marine-tracker-oct-10-2023

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Blut posted:

If Hamas had only hit military and administration targets (courts, civil service buildings etc), and kidnapped Israeli soldiers, the attack would be being lauded almost globally for being a brilliant resistance coup. The common view of them globally would be of something similar to Mandela's ANC everywhere apart from the rare most pro-Israel regions.

This is a story about a guy born in New Jersey serving in the IDF who died in battle:

Stanley Pain posted:

And it hasn't aged a day. We've been watching a slow genocide for over 70 years now.

I rewatch the video whenever something like this happens to retain a bit of sanity. "If you had any heart in you you'd be crying for the Palestinians" is the best response to the ghouls ignoring the suffering of the long-suffering Palestinians.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 13, 2023

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 5, 2023

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/MayadeenEnglish/status/1712572253282390298
This is really bad. I don't see how this doesn't end up a regional war due to Israel wanting to completely destroy Gaza

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Willo567 posted:

This is really bad. I don't see how this doesn't end up a regional war due to Israel wanting to completely destroy Gaza

would you like to make a bet on that?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Groovelord Neato posted:

I rewatch the video whenever something like this happens to retain a bit of sanity. "If you had any heart in you you'd be crying for the Palestinians" is the best response to the ghouls ignoring the suffering of the long-suffering Palestinians.

Yeah. :unsmith:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Willo567 posted:

So... uh... considering how everything seems to be going right now, which nations in the ME have nuclear weapons again? Is it "just" Israel still?

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Willo567 posted:

I feel like this is more the Iranian version of moving a carrier group into the Gulf, an attempt to make Israel think twice about wiping Gaza off the map in their pursuit of Hamas.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Randalor posted:

So... uh... considering how everything seems to be going right now, which nations in the ME have nuclear weapons again? Is it "just" Israel still?

*puzzles over a press release written in farsi, except for the word "Nuclear" and a chevron pointing to "Willo's balls"*

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Willo567 posted:

I don't know, it feels like too exclusively a Hamas operation to be likely to go broader. We're not even seeing an uprising in the West Bank, let alone involvement from Hezbollah; granted they might be scrambling to get their pieces in place, but that in turn would mean it's an opportunistic attack following up on what Hamas did rather than any kind of big joint effort. That sort of thing seemed to die after '73, and Tehran loves to talk a lot of poo poo but they've never shown an appetite for direct war with Israel.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/APHClarkson/status/1712530163928387609

https://twitter.com/APHClarkson/status/1712532706381140373

the Russian payoff of the Chechen genocide is if anything even more surreal than the destruction of the LTTE, with a former insurgent leader turning vociferously pro-Russian client

there's not enough interest in how getting successfully bombed into submission actually works, even though it's clear it can happen

ronya fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 13, 2023

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Willo567 posted:

Willo, your balls will be safe, there will be no nukes

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I don't see the IDF ever being ok with a Kadyrov type situation. Israel is just too small, I've had commutes that were longer than than the distance between Tel Aviv and Gaza. It's not like Russia where the guy can have his own little quasi-state safely far away from the centers of his patron's power.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

B B
Dec 1, 2005

The result of dropping 6,000 bombs in one of the most densely populated cities in the world, where fifty percent of the population is 18 years old or younger, is---quite predictably--a massacre of children:

https://twitter.com/DCIPalestine/status/1712558763935429098

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

DelilahFlowers posted:

I saw it today. If its years old and still holds true, that is harrowing. Ive only been alive for 20+ years and there have been multiple generations of palestinians who lived and died (or killed) in this awful state of being. I can't ever imagine what that does to a people.

You are a good person in a field full of fascism.

I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff—I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I'd do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

Ms Adequate posted:

I don't know, it feels like too exclusively a Hamas operation to be likely to go broader. We're not even seeing an uprising in the West Bank, let alone involvement from Hezbollah; granted they might be scrambling to get their pieces in place, but that in turn would mean it's an opportunistic attack following up on what Hamas did rather than any kind of big joint effort. That sort of thing seemed to die after '73, and Tehran loves to talk a lot of poo poo but they've never shown an appetite for direct war with Israel.

Yes, for the cost of nothing, Iran got attention in the world press and presented itself in the forefront of the Islamic world's anti-Israel sentiment. To do more than that, to open a regional war... the example of Russia in Ukraine is right there, showing the high cost of peer warfare. Plus they just put the lid on the extensive unrest about their own state brutality... if young Iranian men started coming home in boxes, it would further erode the regime's grip. Another Arab-Israeli war is firmly in the realm of Clancychat.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Fill Baptismal posted:

I don't see the IDF ever being ok with a Kadyrov type situation. Israel is just too small, I've had commutes that were longer than than the distance between Tel Aviv and Gaza. It's not like Russia where the guy can have his own little quasi-state safely far away from the centers of his patron's power.

I mean, the distance between Tel Aviv and Ramallah right now is pretty darned short too. Physical distance might be overrated here.

Resisting the urge to hold elections to ratify a mandate that all polling says should be a comfortable landslide (cough 2006 cough) might be a greater challenge here

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Iran doesn’t have a land corridor to reach Israeli borders and their navy is in the wrong ocean? How does Iran actually fight a ground or air war with Israel? Thru Syria and Lebanon?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Rahaeli, one of the founders of Dreamwidth (open-source Livejournal successor) has spent a lot of time in the online Trust and Safety trenches. They posted an overview on Avoiding traumatizing images/video on social media (and dealing with them when you have to see them).

I recommend it; it talks about how to avoid being blindsided by gruesome pictures and video, and how to minimize their effect on you if you do wind up seeing distressing images. It also turns out (!) that immediately after being exposed to something you didn't want to see, playing a round of Tetris can help. Go figure.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Nvm

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 13, 2023

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Rahaeli, one of the founders of Dreamwidth (open-source Livejournal successor) has spent a lot of time in the online Trust and Safety trenches. They posted an overview on Avoiding traumatizing images/video on social media (and dealing with them when you have to see them).

I recommend it; it talks about how to avoid being blindsided by gruesome pictures and video, and how to minimize their effect on you if you do wind up seeing distressing images. It also turns out (!) that immediately after being exposed to something you didn't want to see, playing a round of Tetris can help. Go figure.

where was this twenty years ago when every other link on these gay dead forums was goatse

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

mannerup posted:

Very, very bad news from Axios

edit: I don't think I put enough context for why this is bad, that's half the population of Palestine

oh geez, is israel gonna engage in a ground invasion then?

wasn't that hamas's specific goal to provoke? im really not eager to see how israel reacts if the IDF starts taking significant casualties

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

mannerup posted:

Very, very bad news from Axios

edit: I don't think I put enough context for why this is bad, that's half the population of Palestine

This seems like a prelude to Israel trying to drive the whole population into Egypt and daring them to stop them. This is going to spiral completely out of control. :(

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
New York Times is confirming.

quote:

Israel Tells U.N. That All of Northern Gaza Should Evacuate
The U.N. said the order to move about 1.1 million people living there to the southern half of the territory within a 24-hour deadline would lead to “devastating humanitarian consequences.”

Not unexpectedly, the situation is going to get a lot worse

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

mitztronic posted:

New York Times is confirming.

Not unexpectedly, the situation is going to get a lot worse

It's like the kid windmill-fist argument except with bombs

"We're just going to turn this half of gaza into rubble and if you're there when we do it's your fault"

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
It takes days to evacuate even small towns - evacuating a city with 1.1 million inhabitants in 24 hours is impossible. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Charlz Guybon posted:

This seems like a prelude to Israel trying to drive the whole population into Egypt and daring them to stop them. This is going to spiral completely out of control. :(

Egypt along with the rest of the Middle East has simply given up on Palestinians. I'm not quite sure they'd even be able to handle the enormous flow of refugees even they did open their borders.

The UN along with the United States, Europe, Middle East, etc. desperately needs to come up with some kind of immediate humanitarian response.