Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
check out my kewl old plate (idk how to clean it w/o damaging)

i think it's from the 50s? early 60s maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
You're weldome.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Evidently knowing that "Palestine" was a name coined by the Romans is supposed to be a gotcha for people defending Israel's "honor". It's very weird, like they think if you don't know that, you can't comment on any of Israel's history intelligently (I did happen to know that but don't see how it's relevant to anything).

Anyway...seems like the Day of Jihad is earlier year after year.

It's a part of the argument that Palestine does not exist as a state and Palestinians are not a real people - they're just Arabs broadly. If Palestine was a name given by outsiders and used to refer to an area that included both Jewish populations and the broad subset of Arab populations, then they also don't have any national identity let alone cultural traditions that could help identify them as a unique ethnic or cultural group.

The inevitable place it goes is that this person probably thinks Palestinians were and are savages who cannot govern themselves and are lucky to have had the guiding hand of colonial masters for the last several centuries.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

use your tongue

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

decided to bite my tongue and spend a nice evening with grandma. she told me about what things were like when she was a kid. ate fresh baked cookies. she kept trying to pinch my cheeks and told me i was getting so big, even though im in my 30s haha. had a really nice time! gave her a hug goodnight, she leaned in and whispered in my ear "close cspam". knew i should have printed out the pig cartoon, dumb bitch

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Lpzie posted:

use your tongue

i do all the time

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Frosted Flake posted:

Well, more to the point, supposing it's an exonym, does it matter?

Like, a bunch of Polish Ashkenazis calling themselves Israelis does not make it a literal continuation of an Israelite polity.

Oh for sure. More just saying that in response to the 'if you don't know this you can't comment' position.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

FirstnameLastname posted:

uhhhh mail it to me and i'll clean it

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Telluric Whistler posted:

It's a part of the argument that Palestine does not exist as a state and Palestinians are not a real people - they're just Arabs broadly. If Palestine was a name given by outsiders and used to refer to an area that included both Jewish populations and the broad subset of Arab populations, then they also don't have any national identity let alone cultural traditions that could help identify them as a unique ethnic or cultural group.

The inevitable place it goes is that this person probably thinks Palestinians were and are savages who cannot govern themselves and are lucky to have had the guiding hand of colonial masters for the last several centuries.

Moshe Dayan and Golda Meir worked very hard, in partnership with Kissinger, to promote the idea that Palestinians were Jordanians - even encouraging Jordanian passports to be handed out in Gaza and the West Bank.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

actually flip it over and get a picture of its makers mark, please

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah it was just a name imposed on them by the people who ruled them, and they're not really ethnically distinct from their neighbors at all. That's why they instead of clinging to their national identity they should recognize the Russians as their brothers- wait whoops got mixed up there

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

That tracks. The person who asked this was an Israeli who said that Palestinians were "non humans", so...yeah.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has issued a correction as of 01:29 on Oct 13, 2023

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

the lunatics are proud of this

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

the day of jihad is getting too commercialized these days

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Lol that's moronic, those people hadn't undergone Arabization 2000 years ago, before the Arab conquests.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Homeless Friend posted:

the lunatics are proud of this

yes, their job is murdering defenseless people in their homes

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
(IDF posting images of blasted out civilian hellscape proudly) actually, hamas lost the PR war

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The Voice of Labor posted:

comic counterpoint:

prickly pears aren't indigenous to Palestine either. Cactuses broadly are only native to the Americas, everywhere else they were introduced.

also, making the prickly pear a national symbol is stealing Mexican valor

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Does the us still do the terrorist danger color chart ? Asking for a friend

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
dti

free al-saqr

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Al! posted:

actually flip it over and get a picture of its makers mark, please

its just blank

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

FirstnameLastname posted:

i think it's from the 50s? early 60s maybe

Toothpaste has really fine abrasive and would get most of that shining. People often use it for jewelry.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Hatebag posted:

the day of jihad is getting too commercialized these days

can’t even get through thanksgiving without seeing day of jihad decorations everywhere

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Atrocious Joe posted:

prickly pears aren't indigenous to Palestine either. Cactuses broadly are only native to the Americas, everywhere else they were introduced.

also, making the prickly pear a national symbol is stealing Mexican valor

Critical support for our boys in green

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Evidently knowing that "Palestine" was a name coined by the Romans is supposed to be a gotcha for people defending Israel's "honor". It's very weird, like they think if you don't know that, you can't comment on any of Israel's history intelligently (I did happen to know that but don't see how it's relevant to anything).

Anyway...seems like the Day of Jihad is earlier year after year.

I like the theory that Palestine doesn’t come from the Philistines, it’s actually a Greek translation of Israel (Palaistís)

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BradSherman/status/1712619026138988905?s=20

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

AxGrap posted:

Toothpaste has really fine abrasive and would get most of that shining. People often use it for jewelry.

I would simply use a polish designed for the appropriate metal, which will cost like 5 bucks tops. Silver?

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Jihad Day should become a rolling holiday, like Infrastructure Week

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Weka posted:

I would simply use a polish designed for the appropriate metal, which will cost like 5 bucks tops. Silver?

Fair, but it's a pretty common thing done, and on hand.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

wish i didnt have to work on jihad day

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

William Bear posted:

Israel's Twitter account posted pictures. One dead baby with their face blurred, unclear cause of death. Two pictures of babies so badly charred that they're unrecognizable.

I don't know if they provided more context.

burned are likely from locked homes that got torched iirc from reading yesterday

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

PawParole posted:

I like the theory that Palestine doesn’t come from the Philistines, it’s actually a Greek translation of Israel (Palaistís)

Looked this up and I'm sold. Admittedly half because it's funny.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

If Jihad day is going to be a thing, can we just rename 9/11 to that?

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Popy posted:

They say get a job you love and you will never work a day in your life. Jihadis stay winning.

Also I don't know if it came up but looks like slow mode is over, I've been making posts 2 mins apart.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Popy posted:

yes sir I can work on Jihad day, I'm taking a direct flight to the office as we speak

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Weka posted:

the brown areas def look like a spot where some gold leaf or colloid was added

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Weka posted:

Looked this up and I'm sold. Admittedly half because it's funny.

Palestinians are basically genetically identical to Jewish people, they’re just the people who remained behind after the Exodus.