Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

a neat cape posted:

That thing Elway refused to do 5 years ago.

Rebuild.

Which is fun because I don't think Payton wants to be around for a rebuild and Russ won't make one easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

I think when you're staring right at Caleb Williams, you'll accept sucking for a year.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

This thread is a land of contrasts.

LiquidFriend posted:

More or less I think that's why Payton is making 0 changes. Make it painfully obvious to the owners it's time to rebuild.

Chris James 2 posted:

Which is fun because I don't think Payton wants to be around for a rebuild and Russ won't make one easy

Also, “rebuild” is not a plan. Rebuild how? Into what? On what time horizon?

More importantly, my point is that we need to hear it from one of Penner/Payton/Paton.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

waffle enthusiast posted:

This thread is a land of contrasts.

Also, “rebuild” is not a plan. Rebuild how? Into what? On what time horizon?

More importantly, my point is that we need to hear it from one of Penner/Payton/Paton.
The Broncos have changed so many coaches that they just do not have an identity anymore.

Payton needs to define it and figure out who fits and does not and get rid of the players that don't.

Judging they are 1-4 with that one win being a barely against a trashcan, they have a lot of throwing away to come.

2023 has quickly turned into an evaluation year.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
Rebuild means you lower your discount rate. You stop making expensive trades for veterans (and coaches), stop drafting or trading multiple picks to fill this year's needs, and accept that you aren't one or two moves away.

The Broncos have spent the last 7 years thinking they were on the verge of the playoffs and just needed to find a stopgap quarterback or fire the coach or plug a hole in the line. All the while the foundation crumbled.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
https://x.com/Jacobs71/status/1711347559476699545?s=20

- Rice and Ross should start getting snaps over MVS and Skyy

- Dru Tranquill has been a really great add to the defense

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Are we rating team receivers.
Keenan Allen: owns
Mike Williams: :(
Quentin Johnston: gets open but Justin doesn't trust him yet
Josh Palmer: fine I guess
Darius Davis: does something really cool once a game and should get more schemed up touches
Guyton: still dead but may be back?
Simi fehoko: some guy off the cowboys ps idk

Weird group, Keenan rules at least

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Chiefs offensive line had zero penalties

it's a loving miracle

Also whoever told me Donovan Smith was garbage was a liar

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
It's weird how MVS and Skyy Moore are the Chiefs 'starting' WRs, from a snap count perspective. They have combined for 16 rec/239 yds/1 TD through 5 games. I am pretty sure Tyreek Hill has beaten that in a single game, as 1 guy, not 2. Jamaar Chase just did yesterday as well. Of course MVS and Moore aren't as talented as 2 of the best WRs in the NFL, but these are Mahomes top 2 WR options. Why the hell are they out there running so many routes, always completely locked down by a DB, and usually dropping the ball. Jonnu Smith, the Falcons lovely TE2, has more receiving yards than these 2 scrubs combined. Josh Downs in Indy, someone I hadnt even heard of until a few seconds ago, has more receiving yards than MVS and Skyy combined. Mike Williams who broke his leg 2 weeks ago has more yards than these 2.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I've been a Skyy defender more than most and I'm starting to think he offers virtually nothing. His only catches seem to come when the entire play design is for him to get schemed open.

The second we traded down instead of taking George Pickens I immediately thought that's going to come back and sting us and we're already there. Who cares if Pickens in an rear end in a top hat he is a #1 WR in the making

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Zay Flowers has almost a 100 more receiving yards this season than MVS/Skyy combined. Mahomes is throwing to an aging TE and some of the worst starting wideouts in the recent NFL memory.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
he's tiny, not fast, and can't get separation at all. His only value at the moment is on jet sweeps, which frankly Mecole Hardman was soooo much better at.

Mecole
CEH
Skyy

all picked in the first 60 picks. All 3 are completely incapable of being NFL players. Mecole at least has elite speed, I can't think of anything good the other 2 do. Veach has a skill player eval problem.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Watson is the only guy catching passes every game. That one jumping catch Ross had blew my mind because I can’t even remember a time when we had a receiver who could make those types of catches. Too bad he dropped another later. I really think we should just start Ross and Rice and give them the reps and see what they can do. All of the waffling between different receivers doesn’t allow anyone to shine.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Thinking more about it, the Pats and the Giants might have even worse WRs. Rice is still an unknown and through 5 games he is doing pretty good for a rookie in a Reid offense, who usually are completely invisible. Very similar production to Tyreek in his first season so far

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

More Ross and Rice and less Skyy and MVS.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Not a shot either of them are taking snaps away from MVS.

Watch the film and you will see why.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

kiimo posted:

Who cares if Pickens in an rear end in a top hat he is a #1 WR in the making

Missed this—what’d he do?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If by what did he do to become an rear end in a top hat: fight teammates, talk big poo poo, throws tantrums. He was suspended twice in college and those issues seem to be persisting in the NFL

If by what did he do to become a #1 WR catch big rear end touchdowns

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

why does mitch holthus sound like he's broadcasting from the 1950s?

https://twitter.com/ChiefsThrowback/status/1711826129391321297

e: actually this sounds more '70s. also early chiefsaholic sighting.

Doctor Teeth fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 11, 2023

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

2015 might as well be the 70s at this point

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Also the same game that Charles fumbled away at the 1. And the last time the Broncos won the matchup.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Also the same game that Charles fumbled away at the 1. And the last time the Broncos won the matchup.

The last good year

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I was a fan of 2018

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

In todays edition of “least surprising news ever”

https://twitter.com/kelbermannfl/status/1712508530140303383

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 12, 2023

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

He may end up having a long and productive career, but I feel like it's been pretty obvious since his rookie year that its just not going to work for him here in Denver.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

more rashee rice targets please

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe

waffle enthusiast posted:

In todays edition of “least surprising news ever”

https://twitter.com/kelbermannfl/status/1712508530140303383

What's surprising is that there's interest. Maybe it's Carolina.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

solarjetman posted:

Maybe not after that Steve Smith thing tonight

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Chargers vs Chiefs gonna be good as hell

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Not really any fresh ways to describe how much this sucks but…jeez. Just another year of this. Utterly trapped in the cellar

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

Chargers vs Chiefs gonna be good as hell

I'm bracing for another soul crushing 3 point loss lol

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

solarjetman posted:

Jeudy fetches what a day 2-3 pick?

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe

a neat cape posted:

Maybe not after that Steve Smith thing tonight

Yeah that meeting was probably before Smith's little rant but honestly it isn't that surprising. He's had similar interactions on Twitter with some former Broncos.

At this point I'd be happy with a 6-7 swap for him.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Pron on VHS posted:

Week 5:

Rashee Rice - already a better NFL receiver than Mecole Hardman and Skyy Moore
Justin Watson - the only big play WR through 5 weeks
Kadarius Toney
MVS
Justyn Ross - pretty sure he had more targets today than all other games combined, nice first catch too
Skyy Moore

Week 6:

Rashee Rice
Justin Watson
Kadarius Toney
Justyn Ross
MVS
Skyy Moore

MVS hasn't done anything in weeks. Didn't see enough from Skyy for him to budge from dead last. I want to move Toney down more for being a part of so many failed plays. A gap is emerging between Rice and the rest of the WRs, he leads them in targets, catches, yards, TDs and drops.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I’m pretty sure Watson broke his arm so it’s gonna get dire soon.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
The offense runs through Kelce and Pacheco, with Rice becoming a clear #2 target. The rest of the guys are out there running routes either incorrectly or completely locked down by a DB. Don’t have enough chemistry/time with Mahomes to beat zone and not enough talent to beat man.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Also we are 5-1 with a top 10 defense that gets Omenihu back next week

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

When I watch Rice play, it feels like they have truly found a legit replacement for Sammy Watkins. Finally.

They really just need someone to step up and at least fill the role that JuJu was filling. Too bad it seems Toney is just meh.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Toney was integral to the Super Bowl win. If he never produces again he will have been worth it.

Gotta get him off the field for now though and find more big bodies for Pat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Yeah, that statement doesn't mean the trade wasn't worth it. Always will be.

It's just I'm not seeing long-term value in him.