Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

This popped up in my FC discord:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I finished the rest of it

https://twitter.com/XuanyiRuna/status/1711964505784369240?s=20

E:

Runa fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 11, 2023

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Lmao holy poo poo the burn

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Krile ready for that dps role

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Hot drat, this week's Margrat tier has this patch's requisite mention of The Gridanian Goldsmith!

Did we ever find a mention of him in 6.4?

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Last thing I remember is the mindflayer at Zero's domain

VVV EDIT: oh yeah, although I guess the reaper organization would need someone technical that wasn't necessarily a void contracted combatant. Quite the blow for your big brained engineer to go nutso and leave you with just the soldier types

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Oct 11, 2023

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I think the last mention was at Lapis Manalis, with the hint he might've been a Reaper.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

lol

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Krile you can't murder a child like that

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Hot drat, this week's Margrat tier has this patch's requisite mention of The Gridanian Goldsmith!

Did we ever find a mention of him in 6.4?

wait what

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

hexwren posted:

wait what

Margrat makes mention of a Gridanian goldsmith making realistic mammets as an example of monster miniatures to make.

Also, unrelated to that but still Margrat :allears:
https://twitter.com/Pandaryoshka/status/1712045693794443314?t=kRt61sErgeUOCx8f01dMHA&s=19

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Onean posted:

Margrat makes mention of a Gridanian goldsmith making realistic mammets as an example of monster miniatures to make.

right but why is this important

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

hexwren posted:

It's the goldsmith that made all the voidsent wind-up minions, and after only ever being mentioned in those descriptions he's cropped up in every 6.x patch except, apparently, 6.4.

He also wrote one of the books in Gubal Normal.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

hexwren posted:

The Gridanian Goldsmith started as a weird running gag through descriptions of the various wind-up demon lady minions, as a void cultist who was creating all these demon lady mammets and was eventually executed for Void Cultist Crimes, but the body disappeared. Later there are journals in the Great Gubal Library describing someone trying to summon a succubus (and accidentally getting a mind flayer instead, whom you later meet in Zero's void domain and who seems traumatized by the experience), which is hypothesized to be the same guy? Basically there are a lot of weird little bread crumbs about this creep getting up to crazy gross poo poo.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

hexwren posted:

It's a recurring reference. A couple of loose things originally; something in Haukke Manor here, a book in... was it Gubal? The patchess appear to have someone involved who really liked that bit of lore and has been expanding it. Probably for japes rather than hinting at anything. Anyway, the guy was a skilled craftsman who became obsessed with seeking perfect beauty and wound up summoning demons.

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

Maybe tomorrow, I'll find a home.
Lapis Manalis also has a journal that states the reaper's last master dollmaker left to search for "unparalleled beauty", and might also be the origin of the Goldsmith.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Yeah my assumption with the goldsmith is that he's just a void related minor lore element they brought back for the void patches, rather than building to something. I wouldn't be surprised if we get another reference or two that wraps the story of his life in .55 or 7.0 now that lapis manalis has given his arc a starting point

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Is he the same one that forged the mammets for the reapers or was that someone else?

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Mordiceius posted:

Is he the same one that forged the mammets for the reapers or was that someone else?

Kinda implied he made the second boss, don't know about the rest.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

He's basically a recurring joke that grew more relevant because we've dealt with the void.

That said I fear what the Wind-up Zero will eventually involve. Or the Wind-up Archfiend/Golbez.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Wind-Up Golbez will be fine; they don't make that kind of joke about dudes.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Wind-Up Golbez's description will note the creator explicitly did not put anything underneath the helmet and will muse if that is important or not.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
Wind-Up Golbez is already in game though! I got him from the Lunar Subterrane final chest!

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Wind-up_Golbez

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

By a funny coincidence, I happened to do the Shadowkeeper questline with Unukalhai and Cyella in Shadowbringer after I finished the 6.5 Zero questline, and it's a bit weird that you didn't talk to them when visiting Ryne during your tour, even more so than Gaias absence

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

McCloud posted:

By a funny coincidence, I happened to do the Shadowkeeper questline with Unukalhai and Cyella in Shadowbringer after I finished the 6.5 Zero questline, and it's a bit weird that you didn't talk to them when visiting Ryne during your tour, even more so than Gaias absence

There's been someone on the official forums really mad this didn't happen, but I'm honestly not convinced it's actually possible. To do this right you'd need to have an entirely optional cutscene for them--and to my knowledge that's already not even possible. But then you'd realistically want a lot of conditional text to the point of basically having a whole different script for Zero in the storyline afterwards, because her whole 6.5 journey is focused around figuring out that it's actually possible to pull the Thirteenth back from the brink, so you'd have to have the version we have where she's figuring that out from base principles, and a version where she knows that Cylva and Unukalhai are already doing it.

...and all of this still doesn't address the situation you're actually in, so they'd also need to ideally write a version of Cylva and Unukalhai's script that addresses the notion this might've happened in the reverse order, because for this context we're gonna need them to get up to speed anyway.

I actually think it works better that it doesn't happen, because then it actually uses the disappointment around the fact that it didn't. Now it's a missed connection, nobody realized introducing them would've been a good idea until after it was too late to.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Cleretic posted:

There's been someone on the official forums really mad this didn't happen, but I'm honestly not convinced it's actually possible. To do this right you'd need to have an entirely optional cutscene for them--and to my knowledge that's already not even possible. But then you'd realistically want a lot of conditional text to the point of basically having a whole different script for Zero in the storyline afterwards, because her whole 6.5 journey is focused around figuring out that it's actually possible to pull the Thirteenth back from the brink, so you'd have to have the version we have where she's figuring that out from base principles, and a version where she knows that Cylva and Unukalhai are already doing it.

...and all of this still doesn't address the situation you're actually in, so they'd also need to ideally write a version of Cylva and Unukalhai's script that addresses the notion this might've happened in the reverse order, because for this context we're gonna need them to get up to speed anyway.

I actually think it works better that it doesn't happen, because then it actually uses the disappointment around the fact that it didn't. Now it's a missed connection, nobody realized introducing them would've been a good idea until after it was too late to.

I have no idea who any of these characters are, except for Zero.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sounds like you should fight the Warring Triad and learn the goddarn lore!!!

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Kheldarn posted:

I have no idea who any of these characters are, except for Zero.

Not knowing Cylva I get, but did you not do the Warring Triad quest

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i did it at launch and completely forgot that character's name anytime someone typed it for the next 5 years

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Unulnotgonnarememberthat

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
For people who really don't know: Cylva gets a whole thing in the role quest capstone for Shadowbringers, so level a tank, healer, physical DPS and magical DPS.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Countblanc posted:

i did it at launch and completely forgot that character's name anytime someone typed it for the next 5 years

His name is Unukalhai. Unu-kal-hai. It is very easy to remember.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

umu umu nuku nuku apu a'a

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Unuk the Untouchable.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
if i dont hear it in a voiced cutscene i aint remember poo poo. simple as.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I can't spell the name or say it. But I can remember it and that's what's important.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Countblanc posted:

if i dont hear it in a voiced cutscene i aint remember poo poo. simple as.

Well now you don't have an excuse, because Beq Lugg says it.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Cleretic posted:

It feels like this is all easily solvable by making the Cylva quest a prerequisite for continuing the Zero quest, no? It's not like it would be without precedence, they did it with that Tataru quest. I had to go back and do the sky pirate questline with the void ark alliance quest.

Having said that, it's not like it's the end of the world that they ignored it, just felt like a weird omission in retrospect. Will be pretty neat to see them follow up on the whole restoration of the 13th thing though

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

McCloud posted:

It feels like this is all easily solvable by making the Cylva quest a prerequisite for continuing the Zero quest, no? It's not like it would be without precedence, they did it with that Tataru quest. I had to go back and do the sky pirate questline with the void ark alliance quest.

Having said that, it's not like it's the end of the world that they ignored it, just felt like a weird omission in retrospect. Will be pretty neat to see them follow up on the whole restoration of the 13th thing though

...you realize that Zero's quest at the point we're talking about is the MSQ, right?

I can tell you right now the choice that would be the absolute literal death knell for the entire game, and it's 'to get into the next expansion, every single player must have at least four jobs at level 80'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Cleretic posted:

...you realize that Zero's quest at the point we're talking about is the MSQ, right?

I can tell you right now the choice that would be the absolute literal death knell for the entire game, and it's 'to get into the next expansion, every single player must have at least four jobs at level 80'.

Ok yeah I see your point. See I just kind of assumed everyone would already have four lvl 80 jobs at this point :v: