Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Shinjobi posted:

Hathaway's flash

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Laf was unfathomably good tonight?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

T-Bone posted:

Laf was unfathomably good tonight?

The whole line was incredible. Gallant was a moron for keeping Chytil at 2C for less than 5 seconds all year.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Matt Zerella posted:

The whole line was incredible. Gallant was a moron for keeping Chytil at 2C for less than 5 seconds all year.

gettin mad all over again that we chose to throw away our season chasing the return of Panarin-Kane when we could have had Panarin-Laf at any point

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

https://twitter.com/HockeyStatMiner/status/1712644593387262041?s=20

seems like maybe we shoulda tried that more.

but really, it was a great effort by everyone from top to bottom. i said it in the thread, but if this is representative of Lavi's system (flying the defensemen constantly, first 3 up no matter what, long cross ice passes through the neutral zone, aggressive forecheck in the offensive zone and then a very structured 1-3-1 if it doesn't look good)...it's a good fit for the team. Cuylle played so well defensively, would have been impressive even for a vet. That would be a cool surprise if he has that consistently.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Jack Hughes is good at hockey and he's a qt too.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

Jack Hughes is good at hockey and he's a qt too.

Reunite the Hughes brothers on the league's hot new team: the Vancouver Canucks

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Hathaway's flash

lol

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/sportsnet/status/1712662261225955383?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

I fuckin hate Pierre Dorion

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

JR also hosed that one up. Gus was part of that infamous Brassard deal.

Not surprised he's turned into a good goalie. Always one of the better goalie prospects the Pens had.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Starsfan posted:

I hope Werenski was alright, he is an amazing player and you would hate to see his bad injury luck roll forward to another year :(

And speaking of awful injury luck rolling to another season, Marcus Johansson took an elbow to the back of the head and had to leave the game -- though he did so clutching his wrist

https://twitter.com/SpokedZ/status/1712656149030244514

(Two minutes, interference)

Also I was looking for video of Tkachuk's HBK-like selljob in the 3rd period only to learn twitter's search is worse than SA's...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I watched Saw X on Wednesday and went to the Sabres game last night and I can’t decide which was more disturbing.

Seriously though, it’s one game and they looked really discombobulated. Didn’t help that the Rangers somehow managed to block a million shots and had a Vezina-level goalie. I’ll be worried if the Sabres are still playing that way a month in.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I watched Saw X on Wednesday and went to the Sabres game last night and I can’t decide which was more disturbing.

Seriously though, it’s one game and they looked really discombobulated. Didn’t help that the Rangers somehow managed to block a million shots and had a Vezina-level goalie. I’ll be worried if the Sabres are still playing that way a month in.

On the bright side though,

https://twitter.com/thechargingbuf/status/1712617210772885643?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Paracaidas posted:

And speaking of awful injury luck rolling to another season, Marcus Johansson took an elbow to the back of the head and had to leave the game -- though he did so clutching his wrist

https://twitter.com/SpokedZ/status/1712656149030244514

(Two minutes, interference)

Also I was looking for video of Tkachuk's HBK-like selljob in the 3rd period only to learn twitter's search is worse than SA's...

what, you didn't want tweets from 1969?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Was listening to that on the radio on the way to my own hockey game. That ruled

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/Capitals/status/1712833167810240818?s=20

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Should have hated him last year. Gus turned into a good goalie.

Granted, Minnesota is historically known for knowing how to play some defense. They were giving up more than normal last night and Gus just shut it down.

What’s Cam Talbot up to these days?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

That and Peterka’s goal were the best parts. Pretty much the entire rest of the game was bad lol

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Matt Zerella posted:

Seeing the Rangers play structured system hockey is weird.

It sure is, must've been the Torts era last time they had noticeable structure.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I think it's about what to expect in the first game of a season with eight players born in the 2000s, looking to have them rise out of a rebuild. Despite the Rangers' focus on the "kids" (mostly now 4-7 seasons into their career) they got a lot of older role players to fit a structured system. It's game one of this system, too, so it's not like they could've scouted and coached for it.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
hell yeah, sick as hell. that’s gonna be a good contract. was expecting at least term or dollars to start with an 8 so anything lower than that is great

https://twitter.com/peter_baugh/status/1712864015628828722?s=46&t=M1v0104mu8Y4ldpII8R_rQ

Bard Maddox fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 13, 2023

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I just found out that Toews and Toews are not related.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

live feed of him signing that contract

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Colorado Volcanoes

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bard Maddox posted:

hell yeah, sick as hell. that’s gonna be a good contract. was expecting at least term or dollars to start with an 8 so anything lower than that is great

https://twitter.com/peter_baugh/status/1712864015628828722?s=46&t=M1v0104mu8Y4ldpII8R_rQ

Dude is getting underpayed. I guess he really likes Denver. Way too good a contract for a Central Division team, should be illegal.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
What’s with the seven years? If he’s signing that cheap make it 8? Literally only thing wrong with it.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Zodijackylite posted:

It sure is, must've been the Torts era last time they had noticeable structure.

I think it's about what to expect in the first game of a season with eight players born in the 2000s, looking to have them rise out of a rebuild. Despite the Rangers' focus on the "kids" (mostly now 4-7 seasons into their career) they got a lot of older role players to fit a structured system. It's game one of this system, too, so it's not like they could've scouted and coached for it.

Can't wait to read all season long how the Rangers are boring and play the trap and only win because of that :allears:

I think they did a pretty good job moving back and forth between being aggressive and playing support and backing off when it made sense. Will be interesting to see how it goes throughout the season

Also, dang I just continue to be impressed with how Kreider basically re-made his game from being "that fast guy who looks for home run passes" to "net front guy who relies on smarts and hand-eye coordination to score most of his goals"

For a guy who always had the "tools but no toolbox" label, he plays an incredibly smart game around the net. It's not just him relying on his size and strength, he's always moving around and giving his teammates different looks and making it hard for the D to find ways to tie him up. not just a "stand in front and hope pucks bounce off him" but actively working in and out of the net front and knowing just how to get there at the right time

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/mark_scheig/status/1712849811232129432?t=ua9Nyo3R88ItoZo8feJAWg&s=19

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1712873506961010982?t=Ghv_9Qm_XF9CllMJplSwOA&s=19

Wheel! Of! Justice!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Levitate posted:

. not just a "stand in front and hope pucks bounce off him" but actively working in and out of the net front and knowing just how to get there at the right time

yeah - I always felt that tipping in goals wasn't really a skill, it was more of a "put your stick in the shooting lane and hope for the best" move

Kreider has disabused me of that notion

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Wonderllama posted:

What’s with the seven years? If he’s signing that cheap make it 8? Literally only thing wrong with it.

They didn't want him for his age 38 season and he wasn't going to accept a lower AAV for an extra year for some reason?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

Also, dang I just continue to be impressed with how Kreider basically re-made his game from being "that fast guy who looks for home run passes" to "net front guy who relies on smarts and hand-eye coordination to score most of his goals"

OldSenileGuy posted:

yeah - I always felt that tipping in goals wasn't really a skill, it was more of a "put your stick in the shooting lane and hope for the best" move

Kreider has disabused me of that notion

what’s fascinating to me is how much of a set play kinda guy he is. he’s always been a super smart guy, but most of his rush goals blitzing by people have been off of set plays that he clearly plans and practices with guys in advance. it makes the net front power play part of his game make a lot more sense, because that’s can be all study and strategy, which it 100% is for him.

he scores or helps pretty much all of the same 4-5 different types of goals where he’s doing his thing. the goal last night on the tip, I’ve seen him score that exact same one like twenty times. he’s moving to the RW side of the goalie and deliberately tipping the puck with the shaft of his stick if it’s a high shot. he is the only one that I’ve personally ever seen be near Crosby level in terms of redirection, but Crosby’s is way more inventive and less strategical.

it helps explain why he’s so good with Fox and Panarin on the powerplay, because they just process the game so much faster than anyone else, but they know exactly where he’s going to be when they have it. he’s really almost never improvising on there unlike Bread, who only gets truly excited when he can score/assist in some new silly way.

I need to find videos of this, but it was really funny a couple of years ago where Zibanejad scored like…15 goals on the powerplay where he would get the puck on his off side, Kreider would stand in “bad” screening position covering the very LW side of the net, the goalie would very easily move their head over to the RW side of the net to see around Kreid, Zibanejad would aim for the top LW corner, Kreider would just move out of the way for an easy goal.

i 100% believe it led to him getting 52 goals the next year because coaches must have freaked out at it so bad that they committed so hard on Zibanejad that he got like 30 easy backdoor tap-ins.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

CBJSprague24 posted:

Wheel! Of! Justice!

You guys remember when Shanahan made videos explaining suspensions and stuff, and we all thought it would bring clarity and consistency?

:lol:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

what’s fascinating to me is how much of a set play kinda guy he is. he’s always been a super smart guy, but most of his rush goals blitzing by people have been off of set plays that he clearly plans and practices with guys in advance. it makes the net front power play part of his game make a lot more sense, because that’s can be all study and strategy, which it 100% is for him.

he scores or helps pretty much all of the same 4-5 different types of goals where he’s doing his thing. the goal last night on the tip, I’ve seen him score that exact same one like twenty times. he’s moving to the RW side of the goalie and deliberately tipping the puck with the shaft of his stick if it’s a high shot. he is the only one that I’ve personally ever seen be near Crosby level in terms of redirection, but Crosby’s is way more inventive and less strategical.

it helps explain why he’s so good with Fox and Panarin on the powerplay, because they just process the game so much faster than anyone else, but they know exactly where he’s going to be when they have it. he’s really almost never improvising on there unlike Bread, who only gets truly excited when he can score/assist in some new silly way.

I need to find videos of this, but it was really funny a couple of years ago where Zibanejad scored like…15 goals on the powerplay where he would get the puck on his off side, Kreider would stand in “bad” screening position covering the very LW side of the net, the goalie would very easily move their head over to the RW side of the net to see around Kreid, Zibanejad would aim for the top LW corner, Kreider would just move out of the way for an easy goal.

i 100% believe it led to him getting 52 goals the next year because coaches must have freaked out at it so bad that they committed so hard on Zibanejad that he got like 30 easy backdoor tap-ins.

I mean he'd probably have scored 45 or something last year if he got some puck luck on the power play

He's very hard to stop in front of the net because he's not giving goalies and defensemen just one look, and yeah it's a very analytical approach but also very good feel for how to apply it. Of course having Zibanejad, Panarin, and Fox feeding pucks towards the net helps a great deal as well.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

deoju posted:

You guys remember when Shanahan made videos explaining suspensions and stuff, and we all thought it would bring clarity and consistency?

I remember the first part. Not so much the 2nd one though.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
This is why standardized discipline needs to be a thing. Granted, I’m not sure why they took that down to 2”, so it’s me just yelling at clouds. The first thing that made contact there was his knee and it’s what caused the infringement. Should have just stuck with the major.

Personally I’d be down with a minimum 1 game suspension for any game misconduct, but I think right now that’s only for match penalties in the NHL.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Jhet posted:

This is why standardized discipline needs to be a thing. Granted, I’m not sure why they took that down to 2”, so it’s me just yelling at clouds. The first thing that made contact there was his knee and it’s what caused the infringement. Should have just stuck with the major.

Personally I’d be down with a minimum 1 game suspension for any game misconduct, but I think right now that’s only for match penalties in the NHL.

I think part of the problem is then some star does something and the NHL doesn't want to suspend them so instead of just acknowledging they'll be pulling a double standard they just let poo poo slide for everyone but police the low skill guys a bit more

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Levitate posted:

I think part of the problem is then some star does something and the NHL doesn't want to suspend them so instead of just acknowledging they'll be pulling a double standard they just let poo poo slide for everyone but police the low skill guys a bit more

Maybe they should just grow a pair and be consistent? I get that it’s a business, but I wouldn’t have batted an eyelash had Kaprizov got a game for the game misconduct he took on Doughty last year. Penalties are a major part of the game and just need to be given to everyone.

Let the goalies fight and then toss them to the showers and make the backups come in. Idgaf, let’s play some hockey. The kids up through Juniors get this, why’s it so difficult for adults?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

I mean he'd probably have scored 45 or something last year if he got some puck luck on the power play

He's very hard to stop in front of the net because he's not giving goalies and defensemen just one look, and yeah it's a very analytical approach but also very good feel for how to apply it. Of course having Zibanejad, Panarin, and Fox feeding pucks towards the net helps a great deal as well.

one magic trick to always score short side with a sniper. screen top left, have sniper pick top left, move out of way, infinite profit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt-293NW9w8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrVr6ZY-iEo&t=135s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ1IoGQg3IQ&t=467s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RstVbtiHvYU&t=382s

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/everynyrgoal/status/1712511819980456119

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The NHLPA isn't keen on its players not getting paid. A whole section of the CBA is devoted to what the league can and cannot do with regards to suspensions and the players get a bunch of rights to appeal to a suspension of any length. It's easier for the league to not suspend guys which is why we typically see only fines or very short suspensions outside of egregious cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I remember when Shanahan made a video explaining a non-suspension to Tom Wilson when he boarded I think it was Brayden Schenn. And it just made everyone mad.