Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Kurash posted:

Myself, like a lot of people my age that I knew, grew up watching the attitude era and phased out when Cena was getting big. What were the biggest moments of the 00's?

Kobashi and Sasaki chopping the hell out of each other. Also Kobashi vs Joe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

What year did Joe Vs Necro happen, because that's required viewing

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

SG Bamboo posted:

What year did Joe Vs Necro happen, because that's required viewing

That was the summer of '05, June I think, because it was the year before the CZW ROH feud that lead to Necro working full-time for ROH

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Kobashi and Sasaki chopping the hell out of each other. Also Kobashi vs Joe

Oh yeah Kobashi's entire GHC title run.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

And the rise of KENTA, making up for being 50 pounds lighter than everyone by being the most vicious fucker around

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

He was such an annoying little fucker he wound up being one of the very few to catch a burning hammer from kobashi

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

The look on Kobashi's face during his retirement match when KENTA had the absolute gall to slap him on a clean break was perfect

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gavok posted:

CM Punk tried to kidnap Jared from Subway.

"Luke, bring me Jared from Subway."

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'd be remiss if we didn't mention Hogan vs. Shawn Michaels, a "dream match" about 10 years too late and which became a hilarious clusterfuck of clashing egos.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Bonk posted:

The best part of that was that they let Punk keep cutting promos on Jeff after he left. He came out the next week dressed as Jeff and using his entrance (I think the emo hair kid gif comes from that clip), and then after Jeff got popped again for drug possession & DUI, the next week Punk came out and said "I TOOOOOOLD YOOOOUUUUU!"

It was framed like Jeff was going to return and beat his rear end, but it was literally just Punk making GBS threads on Jeff for heat.

Yeah Punk sucks a lot these days but this was pretty :lol:

https://youtu.be/weUC61ToNBw?feature=shared

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I haven’t seen it in a while but CM Punk signing his wwe contract on the roh belt in an roh ring was pretty funny

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The original Summer of Punk and "You stupid old man; I'm a snake!" promo are still totally worth it.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnnOBAh8xVI

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Wrestlemania X-7, the high point/death knell of the Attitude Era.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Can’t believe no one’s mentioned the time Donald Trump ate a Stunner. I’m on mobile, someone else post the gif plz and thx

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

There was that time I drew santino marella as royal rumble entrant and was swerved into thinking they might let chaos reign and give it to him.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
RVD vs John Cena at ONS 2006.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

John Cena vs Umaga

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Defenestrategy posted:

There was that time I drew santino marella as royal rumble entrant and was swerved into thinking they might let chaos reign and give it to him.

That was almost an amazing ending to the rumble and I wish they did it and just had him lose a match leading up to mania or something so he wasn't actually in the main event.

Sandman McMahon posted:

John Cena vs Umaga

This was also such an amazingly good match that came out of nowhere.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i always wonder whats with guys in the 80s getting entrance music when licensed music wasnt litigated anywhere near like it is today and still choosing some boring rear end orchestral songs instead of hot poo poo like Dr. Feelgood or Master Of Puppets? like the Road Warriors at least had Iron Man but everyone else is afraid to rock out until ECW came around it feels like.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

george the animal steele absolutely should have used Every Breath You Take

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Has there ever been a 1v1 battle royale? Like first person to throw the other over the top rope wins.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

neoaxd posted:

Has there ever been a 1v1 battle royale? Like first person to throw the other over the top rope wins.

Didn't WWE run these as Over the Top Rope Challenges like 10 years ago to "promote" the Rumble?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Custard Undies posted:

That was almost an amazing ending to the rumble and I wish they did it and just had him lose a match leading up to mania or something so he wasn't actually in the main event.

Yea, I mean would it have been THAT hard to have santino win and on raw ADR comes out and says blah blah lawyers blah blah cheating blah blah, raw gm comes out and goes blahblah lawyers blahblah cheating fight santino for rumble main event tonight.

ADR squashes santino in the main event.

Raw pops a rating because everyone goes holy poo poo pur comedy jobber may go to wrestlemania, ADR gets nuclear heat for yanking it away, I win the annual royal rumble blind pick. Santino gets to have a rumble win incase you want to build him for a future push sometime.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Apart from Roman Reigns for those years in the mid 2010s, what is the hardest the audience has ever turned on a match or a wrestler? Just like crazy booing for something that is supposed to be cheered?

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

neoaxd posted:

If no other time, January 23 1995 on an episode of Raw, King Kong Bundy and Mabel had just such a match.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Apart from Roman Reigns for those years in the mid 2010s, what is the hardest the audience has ever turned on a match or a wrestler? Just like crazy booing for something that is supposed to be cheered?

Rock v Brock at summerslam 02(?) where everyone in the building seemed to know rock was disappearing to hollywood as soon as the match finished and were very annoyed about it. An arena full of people cheering the vicious monster who had spent like 6 months personally murdering everyone in the company was very funny

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

NikkolasKing posted:

Goldberg vs Brock as Wrestlemania

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing

NikkolasKing posted:

The reaction when Rey Mysterio (and not Daniel Bryan) came out as the last entrant in the 2014 Royal Rumble was certainly something

edit: ...although Reigns was in that match, so it might not count.

Iron Chef Nex fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Oct 13, 2023

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

NikkolasKing posted:

ADR (face) vs Ziggler (heel) on some ppv. ADR just kept kicking ziggler in the head repeatedly and the crowd turned on him and started cheering ziggler.

I don't believe it was meant to be a face/heel swap

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

neoaxd posted:

There was the Over the Top Off With Her Top Match between Jerry Lawler and Dean Malenko where each time someone was thrown over the top rope their valet would have to remove an item of clothing. It was the origin of Right to Censor.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Custard Undies posted:

ADR (face) vs Ziggler (heel) on some ppv. ADR just kept kicking ziggler in the head repeatedly and the crowd turned on him and started cheering ziggler.

I don't believe it was meant to be a face/heel swap

And they pulled off the double-turn on Raw the next night, from memory.

Another weird double-turn was Hollywood Hogan vs The Rock at Mania in Toronto, the crowd was so hot for Hogan they basically had to swap the match around on the fly.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The MSG crowd turned on HBK against Sid at Survivor Series 96.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

CopywrightMMXI posted:

The MSG crowd turned on HBK against Sid at Survivor Series 96.

One of my favorites of all time

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Iron Chef Nex posted:

The reaction when Rey Mysterio (and not Daniel Bryan) came out as the last entrant in the 2014 Royal Rumble was certainly something

edit: ...although Reigns was in that match, so it might not count.

Reigns got huge cheers that Rumble when it got down to him and Batista since Roman was still in The Shield and at least he wasn’t a part-timer coming back. Every near-elimination he gets on Batista the crowd goes nuts for.

Then Batista yokes him over the top and badda boom, we’re back into the crowd unrelentingly making GBS threads on things.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

Great American Bash 1991.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

neoaxd posted:

I seem to recall a match of that with like Great Khali and... I think Edge? It was memorable because Edge fell out of the ring without going over and Khali chased him by stepping over the top rope and going after him. That was NOT supposed to happen and they didn't end the match, but the commentators lost their poo poo laughing about it.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Has a G1 ever been booked 50/50 with no one getting on a streak or do the winners always have a streak?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i always wonder whats with guys in the 80s getting entrance music when licensed music wasnt litigated anywhere near like it is today and still choosing some boring rear end orchestral songs instead of hot poo poo like Dr. Feelgood or Master Of Puppets? like the Road Warriors at least had Iron Man but everyone else is afraid to rock out until ECW came around it feels like.

Wrestlers have awful taste in music and wrestling itself is perpetually 10 years behind pop culture. That said, I'm sure someone somewhere came out to "Dr. Feelgood," that era of Crue was made for pro wrestling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Xerzes posted:

If no other time, January 23 1995 on an episode of Raw, King Kong Bundy and Mabel had just such a match.

lmao that sounds like a surefire 5 star classic

thanks for the answers everyone