Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

Most of Worf's episodes are about him beating the poo poo out of people

Uh hello he's on his way back from Maimfest '93 where he won a trophy (probably for maiming someone) so it actually is about him beating the poo poo out of people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sash! posted:

Uh hello he's on his way back from Maimfest '93 where he won a trophy (probably for maiming someone) so it actually is about him beating the poo poo out of people

:hmmyes:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sash! posted:

that's maimfest 2370, since it happened in universe and not according to the production date. FAKE NERD.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I still love that the second and third place and lower trophies for the Stabbing Competition that Worf came in first at had less steel blades on them signifying that you were objectively worse at stabbing someone than Worf was, and in one universe he got the third place trophy because that universe's Worf really loving blew rear end at stabbing.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Verviticus posted:

second sight is a sort of mediocre episode but man the guy (richard kiley) who plays the terraformer completely nails it. what a great guest character

It's funny because the writers didn't like what happened with him. He's one of those guys where they expected people to feel really sorry for him at the end.
Instead of "man, what a prick!"

nine-gear crow posted:

I think part of what makes Parallels great just on a foundational level is that, you're completely right, it should NOT be a Worf episode, and yet it completely is. Worf rarely is a character that has Weird poo poo happen to him (on TNG, anyway, DS9 is a different ball game). That's like Riker or Troi or Crusher, and on very rare occasions Geordi or Picard. Most of Worf's episodes are about him beating the poo poo out of people or reclaiming his honor, or beating the poo poo out of people to reclaim his honor, or having poo poo fall on him, or how much him and Gowron just wand to violently hatefuck each other. So having a Weird poo poo episode purely centered around Worf is a rare treat.

Parallels has a special place in my heart because as a kid I saw that episode once and never again and it started to feel like a dream to me. It wasn't until much, much later when I saw it on netflix that I realised "Hey, that episode actually existed??"
I'm sure most of us over 35 have similar stories about other programmes, when it was harder to easily see them

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Starfleet produce one brilliant scientist who isn't an egomanical wife guy, please

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

No Dignity posted:

Starfleet produce one brilliant scientist who isn't an egomanical wife guy, please

Leah Brahms!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Arivia posted:

that's maimfest 2370, since it happened in universe and not according to the production date. FAKE NERD.

Chuckling imagining Michael Dorn returning from a Stab Festival

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

nine-gear crow posted:

I think part of what makes Parallels great just on a foundational level is that, you're completely right, it should NOT be a Worf episode, and yet it completely is. Worf rarely is a character that has Weird poo poo happen to him (on TNG, anyway, DS9 is a different ball game). That's like Riker or Troi or Crusher, and on very rare occasions Geordi or Picard. Most of Worf's episodes are about him beating the poo poo out of people or reclaiming his honor, or beating the poo poo out of people to reclaim his honor, or having poo poo fall on him, or how much him and Gowron just wand to violently hatefuck each other. So having a Weird poo poo episode purely centered around Worf is a rare treat.

the best Weird poo poo episodes are the ones where the character is faced with a situation that's totally out of their wheelhouse, like Data having to figure out what dreams are in "Phantasms" or Troi waving a phaser around and yelling at Romulans in "Mask of the Enemy", and Parallels is probably the peak of that just by putting Worf in a pretty simple parallel universe scenario

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Yeah, if it were happening to, say, Geordi, the science would be the focus and the viewer would be following him into the technobabble. Making Worf the focus lets the science be in the background and gets the viewer into Worf's position instead, which is just "I have no idea what the gently caress is happening and I am very uncomfortable!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No Dignity posted:

If they do that, he's a dead man. A dead man!

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE

No Dignity posted:

I was thinking "well, at least they didn't do that with Soong" and WHAT DO YOU FUCKIN' KNOW, THANKS INHERITANCE

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

There was that one guy played by Dr Kelso who was a volcel I think?

And as mentioned Leah Brahms sidesteps entirely by being an egomancial wife

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

zoux posted:

Borg Universe Feral Riker is like the darkest scene in the whole franchise.

When TNG did horror, it usually did it exceptionally well. I'm thinking of the infamous Remmick scene in Conspiracy, feral Worf in Genesis, and probably several others.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

When TNG did horror, it usually did it exceptionally well. I'm thinking of the infamous Remmick scene in Conspiracy, feral Worf in Genesis, and probably several others.

:hai:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I know some people don’t like it but I still think Night Terrors is creepy as poo poo

TOS and the movies also have some great horror moments. The Memory Alpha scenes in “Lights of Zetar” springs to mind. Or the infamous transport error in TMP which has to be one of the most horrific scenes in any G-rated movie

skasion fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 13, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

skasion posted:

I know some people don’t like it but I still think Night Terrors is creepy as poo poo

Night Terrors was just dragged down by the clumsy 'Troi in a harness shouts into the distance' scenes.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I think Frame of Mind does a pretty good job with the mindfuck "don't know what's real" type of horror.

And yeah, definitely agree that the Borg universe scene in Parallels is one of most disturbing things Trek has ever done. Sometimes I think they should revisit that universe, but then again, what would be the point?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
THE OMEGA DIRECTIVE, the secret Starfleet rule above everything else. This idea could be really bad if it was Section 31 poo poo, but Voyager doing it as standard technobabble works very well.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Watched one of the few Voyager episodes I've seen before: Before and After. Very weird that Kim goes on to marry Paris' daughter but that's in another (disgusting) possible future. It's not as intense as I remember it but still very good. I don't know who the Krenim are but I'm scared of them! :eyepop:

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
The Pegasus. Was alright. Did take a little too long to get to the reveal of what Shitehawk Admiral of the Week was up to and even then that reveal was more of an "oh" than a "whoa". Shame we didn't see more of Captain Picard Day. Just another scene of Frakes doing a bad Patrick Stewart impersonation would have been enough. And as you lot have indeed pointed out, they've not dropped the warp speed limitation thing. Like, yes, okay, cool, continuity, fine. It was still a poo poo idea.

Homeward; not the most fantastic start. Evoked huge "come ON, really!?" when it's revealed that Worf has a foster brother we've never even heard of before. But then the reveal is that it's Paul Sorvino. And he's giving it the beans. It's an alright Prime Directive one with a decent twist, I think it's been done better before though. I was sad when the one poor fella wandered out of the holodeck, couldn't deal and committed suicide, that was upsetting.

Just a pair of nuts and bolts episodes.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I have a feeling they made Frakes tone down the accuracy of his impression for that scene so it wouldn't hit the uncanny valley, because I remember listening to him narrating a Trek novel and his impression there was spot-on.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CPColin posted:

I have a feeling they made Frakes tone down the accuracy of his impression for that scene so it wouldn't hit the uncanny valley, because I remember listening to him narrating a Trek novel and his impression there was spot-on.

Unsurprisingly, actors on long-running tv shows get very good at imitating each other behind the scenes.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

MuddyFunster posted:

Just a pair of nuts and bolts episodes.
Luckily you have one of the best TNG episodes coming up.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Arivia posted:

Unsurprisingly, actors on long-running tv shows get very good at imitating each other behind the scenes.

For similar reasons, I think they told John Krasinski to dial it back when Jim was dressed as Dwight and vice-versa. Also when Troy and Abed did their Freaky Friday bit.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MuddyFunster posted:

Homeward; not the most fantastic start. Evoked huge "come ON, really!?" when it's revealed that Worf has a foster brother we've never even heard of before.

Nikolai's existence was established way back in season 1's "Heart of Glory", but went unnamed until this episode.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I love when Worf and Nikolai are about to throw hands, and they do weird Whoopi Fu at each other

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It's funny that Sisko has a few siblings they discuss but we never, ever see.
Although it's pretty clear in early DS9 they considered his Dad to be dead. He says a few bits about it

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Nothing says that you can't be dead and run a successful restaurant.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The Prophets needed the Emissary to get advice from his dad so they simply changed it so he was still alive. Frankly it's weirder that you corporeal lifeforms can't just do that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Do the Prophets have good restaurants since they know all the best dishes?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Khanstant posted:

By that criteria, the best restaurant is V’ger.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MuddyFunster posted:

The Pegasus. Was alright. Did take a little too long to get to the reveal of what Shitehawk Admiral of the Week was up to and even then that reveal was more of an "oh" than a "whoa". Shame we didn't see more of Captain Picard Day. Just another scene of Frakes doing a bad Patrick Stewart impersonation would have been enough. And as you lot have indeed pointed out, they've not dropped the warp speed limitation thing. Like, yes, okay, cool, continuity, fine. It was still a poo poo idea.

Look the writers really, really wanted to keep doing something about the warp speed limit but it’s just so inconvenient to think about and according to the higher ups it would need a fractional amount more money than they’re already spending to fix.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Khanstant posted:

The food’s great, but they keep getting the courses out of order

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
That's only because they forced somebody else to cook them against their will

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Arivia posted:

By that criteria, the best restaurant is V’ger.

I heard a rumor that their meatballs are actually canned Chef B'rdee

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE

Zedd posted:

Luckily you have one of the best TNG episodes coming up.

Oh, YOU. YOU. *waggles finger* You kidder! You prankster! You cheeky scamp!

Sub Rosa! It sure is a thing that was written, produced and performed by actors in front of a camera, then broadcast! And copied onto tapes and DVDs and had HUGE effort put into remastering it, so on, so forth! The Mills and Boon vibes come back big in this episode that should probably have been titled "Beverly's Squirty Space Scotland Adventure". Seriously, McFadden puts an alarming amount of effort into acting super horned up, I was getting worried for all that lovely furniture. I can see why my brother's first thought was to tell me about this one, it very much fits our shared sense of bad/goodness, though I was very sceptical it could top the madness of The Host. Yes. Yes it could. The grand finale was a masterclass of shrieking 100 miles an hour nonsense technobabble and ghosty boy being all "BUT I LOVE YOUUUU!" and I was cackling very hard at it. To say nothing of the bad accent Scottish/Irish fella who dinna dun dinna doon hoots mon, etc. However, my two favourite things in the whole episode were Ghost Lover's magnificent hair bird ('tis a sight to behold) and the epilogue where Beverly reveals with a smile that her granny/great granny/so on, so forth, were all walking about, spectrally frothing at the gash 24/7 and how nice that was. What a note to end on! Christ.

Well, that's that. I've reached the peak, I may as well quit now.

Except I didn't, I watched Lower Decks, which is an actual legit good episode and yet another bawler. An unexpected one, since it begins as a very cute, warmhearted spin on the usual formula that I'm kind of surprised this wasn't attempted earlier. Picard summons everybody to the ready room and for once, we don't go with them, instead we stick around with a pair of ensigns both fretting about their competing promotion, the goings on aboard the ship, etc. We hang around with Nurse Ogawa, meet Geordi's Vulcan junior officer Taurik, it's all very lovely. I do wish that one thin faced lady with the short hair had a line, poor gal's been wandering around the back of the sets since... Season 5? Maybe? I always notice her and she was here too. As I said, cute stuff, that is until tragedy strikes and when it does it loving hurts. The episode did such a good job of making me care about the nice quartet of juniors and their hopes and worries in such a short space of time, hoo boy, when the kicker came, it kicked alright. Very good. I don't know where that one stands in the fandom or whatever, but I'm surprised I'd never heard of it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes Lower Decks is well regarded among the fandom

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Good enough that they made an entire series based on the premise of the episode :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Lower Decks is probably one of my top 10 TNG episodes, I forgot how good it was until my recent series watch.

Sub Rosa is certainly one of the most...something of the series.