Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Platystemon posted:

“Mom, may we have Icon A5?”

“We have Icon A5 at home.”

Acon I5 at home:

https://v.redd.it/j1vo6u84aetb1/DASH_1080.mp4

source with sound

Disregarding the showboating right above a bunch of people, is this legal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Cactus Ghost posted:

cal fire straight up tells their trainees to not report injuries recieved in training because it's a huge headache and a bunch of paperwork. i mean, they dont say this in writing obviously, but that's the organizational culture of safety that exists there. that probably isn't unique among fire services either
Hell, that's not even unique with fire services. A blind eye on injuries (LOL) or near misses is super common everywhere.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cojawfee posted:

If the boat plus hang glider is light enough, maybe, but you’ll just run into the Larry Walters problem.

quote:

We know he broke some part of the Federal Aviation Act, and as soon as we decide which part it is, some type of charge will be filed. If he had a pilot’s license, we’d suspend that. But he doesn’t.

What they eventually got Walters for was not communicating with ATC. The airworthiness of his craft was above reproach.

So if you fly this thing in some place where you don’t need to communicate with ATC (NOT in the flight path of LAX) and don’t showboat, you might get away with it.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 12, 2023

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Cojawfee posted:

http://www.seair.com/flyingboat.htm

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
edit: ignore this!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Riding in an airport shuttle to Dulles this morning I heard the saddest thing. A first officer in the shuttle mentioned he had gone to the Air & Space museum in DC and was bumper it wasn't fully open yet, but when I asked him in a quiet lull if he'd also gone to the Udvar-Hazy Annex, he asked "what's that?"

...he'd been staying at the Dulles Hilton. You could practically walk/jog to it from the hotel. :cripes:

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Cactus Ghost posted:

wasn't it a dc-7 that participated in that weird one-off endurance air race? or was it a jet airliner

That stirs a long-forgotten memory of something I read about. A circuit endurance race over some desert bit of California (?)

My mind has an image of a Constellation done up in racing livery, but if there was a Constellation there's really no reason why there wouldn't be a DC-7!

I'd wager that hurling a DC-7 around pylons at low level for 1000 miles counts as a very specific sort of endurance.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

It was Super Snoopy at the Mojave 1000. Here’s an article written by Clay Lacy himself: http://www.airclassicsnow.com/issue-spreads/dec-2017/ACdec17SuperSnoopy.pdf

Edit: Just realized the article cuts short a bit, darn it. Here’s a synopsis that also mentions their Connie competitor at the next 1000-mile race: http://vintageairphotos.blogspot.com/2011/11/super-snoopy.html?m=1

Advent Horizon fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 12, 2023

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

BalloonFish posted:

That stirs a long-forgotten memory of something I read about. A circuit endurance race over some desert bit of California (?)

My mind has an image of a Constellation done up in racing livery, but if there was a Constellation there's really no reason why there wouldn't be a DC-7!

I'd wager that hurling a DC-7 around pylons at low level for 1000 miles counts as a very specific sort of endurance.

A Connie would win any MOST ENDURINGLY BEAUTIFUL AIRPLANE contest.

Those fat, ugly V-bomber sisters would be over in the corner sobbing about how Connie-rella got the prince. Maybe if a Nimrod had too many beers he'd take one of them home.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

:objection:

Airplanes are giant sky penises and therefore inherently male coded hth

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Doesn't some Cessna have the flight endurance record?

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Yeah, Cessna 172 “Hacienda” has the absolute record at 64 days; Rutan Voyager has the unrefueled record at 9 days

For uncrewed it’s prob some secret squirrel poo poo nobody knows about but the airbus zephyr solar drone matched Hacienda’s 64 days

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I believe the International Space Station currently holds the manned flight endurance record. :colbert:

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Yeah, Cessna 172 “Hacienda” has the absolute record at 64 days; Rutan Voyager has the unrefueled record at 9 days

For uncrewed it’s prob some secret squirrel poo poo nobody knows about but the airbus zephyr solar drone matched Hacienda’s 64 days

Cool truck in that photo, 1957 GMC with Buick - Cadillac - Olds dealership markings.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I expect the record set in Hacienda to stand for a long while yet, not because it’s technically out of reach, but because no one wishes to subject themselves to that torture.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

photos of the hacienda flight always crack me up because they throw into such sharp relief how loving old the cessna design is

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That truck features an impossibly advanced monobloc engine.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

HookedOnChthonics posted:

My favorite part of this is that aviation records bodies looked at this and said “ok, this record category was a mistake. nobody ever do this again please”

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

one of the pilots said afterwards "if i ever get the idea to do anything like that again, i'll just lock myself in my closet with the vacuum cleaner running until i get my head set straight."

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
My favorite crazy thing about that record is the in flight oil filter changes.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
As someone working on experience requirements for IFR, I’m amused that these endurance flights take off and land at the same airfield so don’t qualify as cross country time.
This is especially hilarious with Voyager which circumnavigated the globe, but never landed at a field 50miles from point of origin.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Referring to the video about the start of the gulf war that I think was posted in this thread earlier. If I understand this correctly, the B-52s that took off from Louisiana, flew to Iraq, dropped their payload, and then flew back to Louisiana over the course of 35 hours technically didn't get any cross country time?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
The thing that gets me about the 64 day flight is, jesus christ they must have gone deaf doing that. No way anyone's wearing earpro for 64 days straight

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

There are different types of XC time, for private/instrument/commercial they require a landing but for ATP and military the landing is not required for that reason.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i mean, i guess on a bombing mission part of the aircraft does touch down somewhere else

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Infinotize posted:

There are different types of XC time, for private/instrument/commercial they require a landing but for ATP and military the landing is not required for that reason.

The military would have been dealing with pilots who flew across continents and oceans and then landed back at their starting point since at least the 40's so it makes perfect sense that they would have the ability to recognize that.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Not sure how the Air Force does it, but for the Navy there's no such thing as "cross country" flight hours that get broken out as a separate thing. The only thing I can think of, at least in the E-2, is that you need a few cross country flights as part of your qualification syllabus. But those are just defined as "land and shut down at an airfield other than home base", so you could technically take off out of Naval Station Norfolk and fly five minutes to NAS Oceana and it would be a cross country. I remember looking into the feasibility of doing that during COVID, because it was a very silly time, but we just ended up waiving that part of the syllabus.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
Some Air Force communities handle it by having “off station operations” as a currency item. The idea is to maintain proficiency on approaches & ground ops at places other than your home field.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Let me in the hangar.

Now let me back out.

Now let me back in.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

I'm the smiley the artist snuck in

Mr Lanternfly
Jun 26, 2023
It's like a bad taxidermy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr Lanternfly posted:

It's like a bad taxidermy.

Supposedly this is a specimen of a Fuegian dog.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

We get it, you vape.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

PhotoKirk posted:

We get it, you vape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy0GMyfGu6s&t=31s

Kamov-26 says hold my beer

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

what is all that from? oil settling past the rings into the cylinders?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

PhotoKirk posted:

We get it, you vape.

Awesome pic.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Cactus Ghost posted:

what is all that from? oil settling past the rings into the cylinders?

Yeah, so when they park it for the winter, they fill it full of oil.
It uses Vedeneyev M14P engines, similar to the Yak52, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Even if it’s not pickled, they’re radial engines. The crankcase is above some of the cylinders, so oil leaks down into the lower cylinders. Part of pre-flighting a radial is walking the prop through a couple revolutions to ensure there isn’t enough oil in the bottom cylinder to hydrolock the engine when you engage the starter. Even after that, there is significantly more oil in the bottom cylinders than is strictly necessary for lubrication, which burns off as the engine warms up, turning into a cloud of delicious AeroShell/100LL cancer fun times.