Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

https://i.imgur.com/38hLJIQ.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Mods, requesting name change to Really Juicy Anus Workshop, thanks and God bless

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I want to walk away from this discourse but I just saw a chiropractor and now I can't feel my legs

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

syntaxfunction posted:

I just saw a chiropractor and now I can't feel my legs

Imagine if you'd let him touch you

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

maybealabia posted:

Imagine if you'd let him touch you

I fucken lol’ed

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Ratios and Tendency posted:

A patient saying their pain improved is data that you are flippantly rejecting because it contradicts your Official Science Guy Canon and hurts your feelings. (I'm guessing a lot of the smuglords in here are American because the AMA ran a propaganda campaign against chiro to try and wipe it out, which is why you think you know it's fake)

You also keep mistaking disagreement with you with as an attack on empiricism itself, as though you are the physical avatar of Science or something, rather than just some smug dumbass who doesn't know what they're talking about.

You don't even have studies in your favour either:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8915715/

I've resisted doing a deep dive because I'm not that interested in being The Chiropractic Defender but y'all are annoying and wrong.

TIP posted:

did you even read this?

"Due to the low quality of evidence, the efficacy of SMT compared with a placebo or no treatment remains uncertain."

lol

It never ceases to amaze me how often woowoo dumbasses quote research that doesn’t agree with their claim.

It’s almost like reading the abstract just isn’t the same as actually reading the report.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Some people are saying they feel better and some people's aortas are exploding so it's really hard to say who is right and wrong.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
You know what they say, to make results that almost compare to placebo, you have to explode a few hearts

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

maybealabia posted:

I'm not aware of the AMA coming out with a campaign against chiropracty so it wasn't a very good one

other than keeping things out of hospitals their campaigns against stuff haven't worked out great, no. dentistry is still around too. the ama lost its poo poo after surgery moved from the barber shop to the hospital and said the line must be drawn here, no further

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Dick Fontaine posted:

you can put little slices of meat on there and they will cure and that’s kind of fun/tasty

Soooooo these salt things do CURE stuff then? Well, I guess take that all you big pharma schills!

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

An alt healer in action (on Seinfeld):
https://youtu.be/uH5IMv2jeuk

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

zedprime posted:

What is generally recognized as the elementary school scientific method crystalized for white people in the 17th century. This is really the organized form able to be consumed by popular opinion or public health programs etc. though.

The methodology was practiced individually anywhere with enough free time to sit down and think about stuff which means the silk road had a bunch of medical science that was varyingly erased because Mongols (the Arabic texts not otherwise imported to Europe in time) and/or really unfortunate propaganda machines picking out the wrong parts. One of the things that let Vedic or TCM gain traction in modern times is that contemporarily they had a better batting average than the Greek medical traditions. Somewhere in between everything that works getting turned into pharmaceuticals and the various propaganda machines that were used to control the huge populations of India or China, all that's left in modern Vedic or TCM is the stuff that doesn't work.
TCM is almost entirely the result of a cynical attempt by Mao to calm down political unrest; he's on record telling one of his personal doctors “Even though I believe we should promote Chinese medicine, I personally do not believe in it. I don’t take Chinese medicine.”

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tunicate posted:

TCM is almost entirely the result of a cynical attempt by Mao to calm down political unrest; he's on record telling one of his personal doctors “Even though I believe we should promote Chinese medicine, I personally do not believe in it. I don’t take Chinese medicine.”
I almost immediately regretted including TCM in the same phrasing as Vedic since you can still read some Vedic manuals and go "oh wow they figured that part out that long ago?" while TCM is entirely fabricated to be a mix of random poo poo on hand and snipe hunts. What it shares is the veneer of legitimacy put up by political forces based on their ancient strengths. But while we have the Greek and Vedic traditions whole in front of us, the Arabic and Chinese both got mongoled pretty hard.

At least the Chinese tradition that didn't get randomly obsessed with elixirs and chugging mercury got mongoled pretty hard. Some of the royal alchemists would fit in right in this thread with the "can't discount singular personal experiences" poster.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

chiromancy is real, and here’s a list of spells that prove it:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm not a big fan but I'm glad that Turner Classic Movies is still putting out some poo poo.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

What happened to the two people claiming chiro was great and nothing else worked?

Did they get their necks snapped at the doctor?

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Used the wrong crystals and got homeopathiced to another realm of existence.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
ya, weed all the time

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I think this thread is stupid, so I’m gonna threadshit and walk away by saying:

I hurt my back moving a washing machine, I couldn’t get out of bed for a couple days it was excruciating. I went to a chiropractor for six months, with a combination of acupuncture, vibrating massage and adjustments, my back went from horrible pain, to not hurting at all for about a year and a half till I had my work accident a few months ago.

That chiropractor was different. He was loving nuts, like full on crystals and antivax bonkers, but he did something and it was good. It felt better for longer every time I went to see him till one day he popped something in my neck and not only did my hands feel different, like I’d just forgotten what it was to have full feeling in them, but there was nothing else to do and we parted ways agreeing that the job was done.

I know I’m just a rube who was like totally placeboed but damned if it didn’t work! Also seriously loving gas this thread I just read 6 pages of the dumbest poo poo about how much can you bench nerd and managed to learn nothing except for the comparative size of a few dicks.

Voted one, peace out.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

What an absolute ledge

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Ratios and Tendency posted:

A patient saying their pain improved is data that you are flippantly rejecting because it contradicts your Official Science Guy Canon and hurts your feelings. (I'm guessing a lot of the smuglords in here are American because the AMA ran a propaganda campaign against chiro to try and wipe it out, which is why you think you know it's fake)

You also keep mistaking disagreement with you with as an attack on empiricism itself, as though you are the physical avatar of Science or something, rather than just some smug dumbass who doesn't know what they're talking about.

You don't even have studies in your favour either:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8915715/

I've resisted doing a deep dive because I'm not that interested in being The Chiropractic Defender but y'all are annoying and wrong.

A patient saying [thing] made them feel better is the exact loving opposite of data. It is useless anecdote.

Id like to hear how you also buy 'immunity boosters' because they were 'made by a teacher / mom'

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

A patient saying [thing] made them feel better is the exact loving opposite of data. It is useless anecdote.

Id like to hear how you also buy 'immunity boosters' because they were 'made by a teacher / mom'

i'd like to hear how you measure pain if not by self-reporting

edit: also,

Cactus Ghost posted:

is there anything people with computer science degrees love more than not understanding the difference between statistical significance and clinical significance

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Oct 13, 2023

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Americans are immune to the beneficial effects of spine snapping

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Decedent posted:

I hurt my back moving a washing machine, I couldn’t get out of bed for a couple days it was excruciating. I went to a chiropractor for six months, with a combination of acupuncture, vibrating massage and adjustments, my back went from horrible pain, to not hurting at all for about a year and a half till I had my work accident a few months ago.

That chiropractor was different. He was loving nuts, like full on crystals and antivax bonkers, but he did something and it was good. It felt better for longer every time I went to see him till one day he popped something in my neck and not only did my hands feel different, like I’d just forgotten what it was to have full feeling in them, but there was nothing else to do and we parted ways agreeing that the job was done.

I know I’m just a rube who was like totally placeboed but damned if it didn’t work! Also seriously loving gas this thread I just read 6 pages of the dumbest poo poo about how much can you bench nerd and managed to learn nothing except for the comparative size of a few dicks.

Voted one, peace out.

“I got relief from a massage technique, but it was some by a chiropractor so that proves this dangerous imagery medicine works”.

This is why voting should not be a right.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Extra row of tits posted:

Dang, things are getting dark in the crystal healing thread :stare:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I will consult my orb to determine who is pure of heart enough to vote.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Soooooo these salt things do CURE stuff then? Well, I guess take that all you big pharma schills!

Nice!

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Extra row of tits posted:

"I'll ignore the extremely problematic and damaging history of this idea because it makes me feel better"

Yeah that does sound just like chiropracty which is I'm sure the joke you were trying to make, right?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol this thread

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Decedent posted:

Voted one, peace out.

i'm glad that worked out for you :) living in pain sucks.

i won't be gassing the thread at this time tho. ticket closed.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

The poster who is convinced chiropractors are good because massages and time healed his wounds

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

thanks to this stupid thread i am now hearing a shmorky voice shout BULLSHIT ANECDOETS in my head whenever im asking a patient to rate their pain

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I mean, there's definitely good physical therapists and bad ones, and which you get after a traumatic injury can absolutely affect your healing process, so there's more to healing than just time. Even basic first aid helps improve healing over just leaving a wound open to the elements.

I get your point, and yeah you're right, but it's getting reductive - such that you could try to tell people that PT after an injury is just a massage sham because if you just waited, 'your body would heal naturally'. It's dancing the edge of all the 'you don't need medical doctors bc your body can take care of itself' woo, even if being applied to woo doctors. Bodies are amazing but there's a reason the whole medical field exists, and it's bc they don't always just heal fine on their own. Or, they can heal ok on their own, but better with help - of the bones I've broken, there's a marked difference in the functionality afterwards between if I got physical therapy or not. If you miss a critical healing period to get the PT in and restore functionality back to 'normal' (or as close as one can get), sometimes there's no going back or fixing it, even with exercise after-the-fact. There's just, the best you can hope for with how it healed.

Chiropractors are bullshit for sure, but healing isn't just time, it often take concerted effort and care with the help of professionals. Not even trauma - which isn't a physical wound and is classically handwaved away with the whole 'time heals all wounds' canard - just heals itself without help.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 13, 2023

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
The scientism contingent seems to be arguing against a strawman of "no chiropractor ever helped anyone" which isn't really being advanced

chiropractors AS chiropractors are quacks because chiropracty is based in quackery

SOME chiropractors AS PEOPLE are good physical/massage therapists that do good work sometimes for some people. That is absolutely clear

It's just such a gamble to go to one that you probably shouldn't if you have the option of seeing a practitioner of an evidence-based skillset belonging to an organization with real oversight

A chiropractor doing what they're "supposed"to be doing (chiropracty) might help you but it will essentially be by luck since the underlying principles are... very silly

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

maybealabia posted:

The scientism contingent seems to be arguing against a strawman of "no chiropractor ever helped anyone" which isn't really being advanced

chiropractors AS chiropractors are quacks because chiropracty is based in quackery

SOME chiropractors AS PEOPLE are good physical/massage therapists that do good work sometimes for some people. That is absolutely clear

It's just such a gamble to go to one that you probably shouldn't if you have the option of seeing a practitioner of an evidence-based skillset belonging to an organization with real oversight

A chiropractor doing what they're "supposed"to be doing (chiropracty) might help you but it will essentially be by luck since the underlying principles are... very silly

its rude to huff your own farts in public

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Cactus Ghost posted:

This is true when in public you need to share the smell of your farts with others, don't be a greedy fartpig :colbert:

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
y'all every try jenkem? It's an alternative to recreational medicine

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Cactus Ghost posted:

huffing farts cures my rickets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
if i hire a domme to kick me in the side until i piss blood, would that be covered by an HMO or a PPO?

Would I need an HSA to pay for the domme?

this is a vital treatment for my migraines.