Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Mylan posted:

Just a random thought, but I decided I like the idea that Scare Bear is Brock's brother. They mentioned he has one a long time ago, but never did anything with that. The early episodes depict Brock as a murderous psychopath who happens to work for the good guys. He had the OSI to train him and focus his rage towards a purpose. What if his brother had the same mental instabilities but no one to help him, so he became a serial killer. Scare Bear has a large frame and a knife "superpower," similar to Brock. Also an inexplicable interest in Hank and Dean's wellbeing. Perhaps because he knows his brother considers them family, so maybe he does as well?

This is actually very good, I like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I like the idea that Scare Bear is just some creep.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, I think Scare Bear is more fun if there is no secret and he's just some guy (or gal).

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, I think Scare Bear is more fun if there is no secret and he's just some guy (or gal).

I would have been very disappointed if we ever found out who Scare Bear was.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I forgot if it was here or somewhere else that theorized Scare Bear was a timetraveled Hank. It's kinda funny how that wouldn't be too farfetch but still sillly.

and now I"m thinking of Alternate Timeline Rusty and his hit MUSICAL ON BROADWAY.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

pixaal posted:

I think David Bowie must have been a terrible leader the guild seems to have a better past and the new council seems way more on the ball.

This is all but text. The Sovereign was basically using the Guild as ablative armour to (somehow) try to welch on his deal with the Investors, and an overall theme of using his shapeshifting to shift the blame to others and eliminate rivals, like using Movie Night as a false flag to get the OSI to wipe out their only major rival in the organised supervillainy game. (In the USA, anyway) Both the old guard leadership and the new are actually interested primarily in the Guild's functioning as a supervillain support organisation, and admit it had been failing there. Pretty much the whole deal in how Sheila has the new Council do one last arching of their personal nemeses before renouncing it, as they're supposed to now be acting on behalf of the Guild, not their personal quarrels.

Shindragon posted:

I forgot if it was here or somewhere else that theorized Scare Bear was a timetraveled Hank. It's kinda funny how that wouldn't be too farfetch but still sillly.

and now I"m thinking of Alternate Timeline Rusty and his hit MUSICAL ON BROADWAY.

Hank with a time machine absolutely gets up to some of the silliest poo poo. Would explain a lot about Escape To The House Of Mummies.

There's also the theory that Scare Bear is Brown Widow's alternate identity.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

LividLiquid posted:

Rusty was an amazing super scientists. It's just that all his science was supervillain poo poo.

Clones, zombies, walking eye, orphan-powered joy can...

Not all of them!

The teleporter, the artifical womb, the room temperature superconductor...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I still get the vibe that one of the reasons super-science gets used almost exclusively for costumed shenanigans is that even when it's not actively suppressed to keep the oil companies in business, nearly all of it is wildly impractical, unethical, and/or just plain too expensive for mass market. The consumer model HELPR debacle is almost exactly like something Rusty would do, but that was Jonas in his prime, and it puts a lot of his poo poo into a new perspective. The heavy implication is that both of them basically were propped up making wunderwaften for the good ol' USA and getting fat checks for anything that would blow things up in a somewhat novel way.

Which also explains a lot about Rusty's particular debacles; he's never had the slightest education as to how to actually manage a budget, because everything he's been taught about super-science is that it doesn't matter, you can spend money like water and work on whatever you feel like and Uncle Sam will pick up the bill. And while that's still kinda true, he doesn't have anywhere near Jonas' kind of charisma to sweet-talk brass and politicians into signing on as easily. And hence they suck with consumer products, because both Jonas and Rusty never figured out how to balance affordability vs build quality, and either cheap out to make dangerously unsafe products or overengineer them to be wildly unaffordable and usually dangerous in a different way.

Still say, one of the biggest advantages JJ had was a modern education, not just the learning beds and a few semesters of college, where he would have dove right into the cutting edge of multiple fields and gotten to understand what was new and advancing, where as a gifted polymath with a name and funding base to build on he was perfectly positioned to dominate. He still clearly played with lots of super-science and in cases like Gargantua-2 was able to successfully balance the wonder and glamour of it with practicality and affordability (presumably) but he knew his bread and butter was in what people were using today, hence the software and electronics focus. Being out of touch with the super-science and adventure world was pretty much an advantage for him there, as he got to have some common sense instead.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Oct 12, 2023

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm fully prepared to over think and point out how the OSI was completely wrong about the teleporter.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Sash! posted:

I'm fully prepared to over think and point out how the OSI was completely wrong about the teleporter.

OSI is and has always been defenders of the status quo. They don’t want anything to upset society because otherwise they wouldn’t have their thumb on the scale. That’s why super villains that won’t play the game get eliminated. Teleporters that are ubiquitous and cheap would completely rewrite what society is and they don’t know how to handle it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

We're introduced to the OSI as an organisation with a montage of war crimes while riffing on the GI Joe opening, they aren't good guys except by designated role and maybe killing slightly less civilians than the Guild.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We're introduced to the OSI as an organisation with a montage of war crimes while riffing on the GI Joe opening, they aren't good guys except by designated role and maybe killing slightly less civilians than the Guild.

I totally forgot about the point blank execution in that bit when I was rewatching and spit my drink out laughing

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

holefoods posted:

I totally forgot about the point blank execution in that bit when I was rewatching and spit my drink out laughing

Yeah that whole sequence is basically my_warcrimes.mp4

They even put lyndie england in there

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

See, that's exactly why I think they're wrong. I know this is going to sound crazy at first, but there's nothing that actually indicates the dang thing would actually do anything. The X-1 would be a bigger technological game changer. A supersonic VTOL airliner with unlimited range? That makes the Concorde look like a Boeing Clipper flying boat and would be a sea change in international travel. Doc's teleporter has too many unanswered questions to tell if the thing has any ability to do anything beyond "yes, teleportation is physically possible." Are the two pads interlinked or can they go to a third pad? Is there a mass limit? Volume limit?

If it was limited to "your Pad A is linked to Pad B and there is no way to add any other destinations. It can move approximately one human's worth of mass and volume." then it is basically worthless as a transportation device.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
it works great for feeding henchmen to the Brockodile though

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Sash! posted:

See, that's exactly why I think they're wrong. I know this is going to sound crazy at first, but there's nothing that actually indicates the dang thing would actually do anything. The X-1 would be a bigger technological game changer. A supersonic VTOL airliner with unlimited range? That makes the Concorde look like a Boeing Clipper flying boat and would be a sea change in international travel. Doc's teleporter has too many unanswered questions to tell if the thing has any ability to do anything beyond "yes, teleportation is physically possible." Are the two pads interlinked or can they go to a third pad? Is there a mass limit? Volume limit?

If it was limited to "your Pad A is linked to Pad B and there is no way to add any other destinations. It can move approximately one human's worth of mass and volume." then it is basically worthless as a transportation device.

Imagine going to the airport and instead of spending an hour loading a plane you just walk up and zoop to where you’re going. Even if transportation consists of waking to a hub with a limited set of options it’s still a massive MASSIVE sea change in how the world operates. If you can do a living person, scaling it up and moving a conex from missouri to lithuania at will is insane and would absolutely break the way the world works.

The X-1 isn’t world changing because it requires nuclear fuel of some sort. And apparently their earth has space travel that’s somewhat ubiquitous and cheap since a band had a rocket to get themselves to gargantua 2.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Kesper North posted:

it works great for feeding henchmen to the Brockodile though

Brockness Monster :colbert:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
OSI is very much the lesser evil of the organization. That teleporter episode did sorta irk me a little with how they wanted to make sure Rusty never uses it.

I still find it funny that the Guild just uses it to teleport to their Asteroid Base. Like not to teleport into banks or what nope. Just don't wanna waste rocket fuel :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Shindragon posted:

OSI is very much the lesser evil of the organization. That teleporter episode did sorta irk me a little with how they wanted to make sure Rusty never uses it.

I still find it funny that the Guild just uses it to teleport to their Asteroid Base. Like not to teleport into banks or what nope. Just don't wanna waste rocket fuel :v:

They also use it to teleport their blackout team into Venture Tower in season finale.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Shindragon posted:

Teleporting to the Meteor Majeure is just commuting. Boring, you shave as much time as possible.

Teleporting into banks is their work, and supposed to be their passion (which is why the Monarch is such a good arch when he's arching Rusty), you can't take the easy teleport way out of that! (unless it's needed for some reason)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Of course you are going to use the teleporter in the process of stealing said telepoeter

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The OSI is pretty clearly hogging a lot of the super-tech to themselves, it's my personal headcanon that stuff like the Nozzle and the Minority Report psychics are random super-science poo poo they have laying around from one of their charges they may or may not have executed and no one remembers how it works or what it's for or even that it's there anymore. The Guild does pretty much the same, and it seems implicit that the OSI is completely fine with villains using super-science for wildly impractical purposes, because they don't want to share their toys and prefer to keep their gimmicks and advantages all to themselves. (Not to mention, it's very traditional for supervillains to use potentially world-changing inventions exclusively to perform petty crimes and overwrought schemes, almost as much as superheroes to use them exclusively to thwart them)

Also on the topic of Rusty's psychology, Self-Medication makes a terrifyingly funny point that Rusty did indeed get off lightly compared to his peers. He has actual usable skills, a support network and is able to function socially, for one.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sash! posted:

lmfao yeah it's not like humans ever pay money to travel long distances

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

(Not to mention, it's very traditional for supervillains to use potentially world-changing inventions exclusively to perform petty crimes and overwrought schemes, almost as much as superheroes to use them exclusively to thwart them)

This is a Venture Bros exchange:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Funny thing is Doc has used his super-science to cure cancer occasionally.

There is the occasional implication super-science is trickling down to the consumer market, though probably one of the problems is the people who would be best positioned to do so (that is the Ventures) are mostly incredibly bad at it, and the one guy who wasn't is dead.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

TK-42-1 posted:

Imagine going to the airport and instead of spending an hour loading a plane you just walk up and zoop to where you’re going. Even if transportation consists of waking to a hub with a limited set of options it’s still a massive MASSIVE sea change in how the world operates. If you can do a living person, scaling it up and moving a conex from missouri to lithuania at will is insane and would absolutely break the way the world works.

That's where I have the issue though. It is faster between point A and B for a discrete object, but is incredibly inefficient for the overall system throughput. I don't see the vast increase in speed offsetting that.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

The Ventures are a very real and relatable story of family trauma and how healing it is often a generational project. Being good is out of Doc's reach, but he's a lot less lovely than Jonas, and as a result, he's given Dean a chance to be less lovely than either of them.

As for Hank, he'll be fine. That kid's a superstar.

I'm still thinking that Hank's arc is incomplete, it's such a weird beat to end it where he's just backing away from the room at the end.

https://youtu.be/-o2TAcxq24k?si=w-89RH7vHwxSBJlH

I thought that Hank was happy about being back?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Sash! posted:

That's where I have the issue though. It is faster between point A and B for a discrete object, but is incredibly inefficient for the overall system throughput. I don't see the vast increase in speed offsetting that.

You may not be thinking about the network effects. Even if it can't be scaled up past roughly a 7ft cylinder 3ft wide the platform is small enough that every airport on earth would have an a to b connection to almost every other major airport on earth. Every bus depot, every mall, every subway station. Every fortune 500 company would connect every branch office if for no other reason than to say they could.

5 years after the Venture-port hits the market and personal travel logistics for all but the poorest people basically becomes like a 20 minute walk around the neighborhood where you navigate 5 or 6 hubs with one of those subway maps.

At the very least every hospital and ambulance on earth has one and Rusty gets the Nobel prize in medicine.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I do think time-travel Hank will turn out to be Scare Bear in some kind of Donny Darko arc.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

moths posted:

I do think time-travel Hank will turn out to be Scare Bear in some kind of Donny Darko arc.

Going around with a knife to convince everyone that Smurfs are mammals?

Smurfette is an artificial homunculus, therefore having no basis in determining Smurf Village as a reasonable starting point to theorise the animal-type of Smurfs! PAPA SMURF HAS A loving BEARD! THEY'RE MAMMALS!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
If Smurfette is an artificial life form, we can't draw conclusions about Smurf reproduction from her presence, much less her estrul cycle. I'm more inclined to interpret Smurfs as a kind of fungal organism. What appears to be a beard could be some other form of cell growth.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

8one6 posted:

You may not be thinking about the network effects. Even if it can't be scaled up past roughly a 7ft cylinder 3ft wide the platform is small enough that every airport on earth would have an a to b connection to almost every other major airport on earth. Every bus depot, every mall, every subway station. Every fortune 500 company would connect every branch office if for no other reason than to say they could.

5 years after the Venture-port hits the market and personal travel logistics for all but the poorest people basically becomes like a 20 minute walk around the neighborhood where you navigate 5 or 6 hubs with one of those subway maps.

At the very least every hospital and ambulance on earth has one and Rusty gets the Nobel prize in medicine.

Factories would also have them, both to teleport finished goods instantly to shops or warehouses or homes, but also in the manufacturing process. I can't even properly imagine how many little processes would be improved or avoided with teleporters.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Also what's the range on them? Because you could string a chain of them together for instantaneous interplanetary travel.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Factories would also have them, both to teleport finished goods instantly to shops or warehouses or homes, but also in the manufacturing process. I can't even properly imagine how many little processes would be improved or avoided with teleporters.

what's the fuel / energy cost? does it funnel heat to one side? There's got to be a catch! But also I'm totally going to get a mortgage on one so I can instantly get to work.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

And that all assumes that they only work in pairs instead of being dialable like a phone.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

more like a stargate I'd think

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

pixaal posted:

more like a stargate I'd think

i would pay an exorbitant amount of money for an sg-1 spoof with the venture cast. brock as tealc and white as the guy who only says 'chevron 5 locked' for 10 years

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

TK-42-1 posted:

the guy who only says 'chevron 5 locked' for 10 years

Walter

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

DoctorWhat posted:

If Smurfette is an artificial life form, we can't draw conclusions about Smurf reproduction from her presence, much less her estrul cycle. I'm more inclined to interpret Smurfs as a kind of fungal organism. What appears to be a beard could be some other form of cell growth.

Smurf babies are delivered by stork, this is canon. The later seasons actually show this and also have the Smurfs create another artificial baby girl Smurf so they grow up being used to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Shageletic posted:

I'm still thinking that Hank's arc is incomplete, it's such a weird beat to end it where he's just backing away from the room at the end.

https://youtu.be/-o2TAcxq24k?si=w-89RH7vHwxSBJlH

I thought that Hank was happy about being back?

He's not like, leaving, at least that's not the impression I got. He's just slowing backing away from the Monarch being a weirdo.