Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Good news for people hoping their resin covered lungs will protect them. The results aren't public, nor peer-reviewed, so take it with a massive helping of salt.
"Marijuana Consumers Who Caught COVID Had ‘Better Outcomes And Mortality’ Than Nonusers, Study Finds"

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/marijuana-consumers-who-caught-covid-had-better-outcomes-and-mortality-than-nonusers-study-finds/ posted:

Cannabis consumers who caught COVID-19 had significantly lower rates of intubation, respiratory failure and death than people who do not use marijuana, according a new study based on hospital data that was presented this week at the annual conference of The American College of Chest Physicians (CHEST) in Honolulu.

“Marijuana users had better outcomes and mortality compared to non-users,” the study says, suggesting that the observed benefits might result from marijuana’s “potential to inhibit viral entry into cells and prevent the release of proinflammatory cytokines.”

“The significant decrease in mortality and complications warrants further investigation of the association between marijuana use and COVID-19,” the report, published in a supplement of the CHEST Journal, says.

Authors of the study explained the findings on Wednesday in a presentation alongside a poster at the annual CHEST conference.

Authors analyzed records from 322,214 patients from the National Inpatient Sample, a government database that tracks hospital utilization and outcomes. Of those patients, 2,603—less than 1 percent—said they consumed cannabis.

Looking at the two populations separately, marijuana consumers “were younger and had higher prevalance of tobacco use,” wrote the seven-person research team. People who didn’t use marijuana had higher rates of other comorbidities, such as obstructive sleep apnea, obesity, hypertension and diabetes.

Cannabis consumers also had significantly lower health complications related to COVID:

“On univariate analysis, marijuana users had significantly lower rates of intubation (6.8% vs 12%), acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) (2.1% vs 6%), acute respiratory failure (25% vs 52.9%) and severe sepsis with multiorgan failure (5.8% vs 12%). They also had lower in-hospital cardiac arrest (1.2% vs 2.7%) and mortality (2.9% vs 13.5%).”

Using a 1:1 matching analysis that compared marijuana consumers to nonusers by age, race, gender “and 17 other comorbidities including chronic lung disease,” the team found that cannabis consumers had lower rates of intubation, acute respiratory failure, severe sepsis with multiorgan failure and morality.
(..)

Sounds good, had it not been for this troubling and unbiased information:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR9sDYPjNfI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

managed to get my 4yo an updated pfizer shot at a cvs.

of course, when we called to check on stock this morning, we couldn't get through to the minuteclinic. called pharmacy, and they, too, couldn't/wouldn't contact the minuteclinic. just showed up and it worked out.

Potato Salad posted:

I love when minority policy preferences end up becoming policy. Makes me really confident that we still live in a democracy.

the astroturfing to make those minority policy preferences seem like common sense was so intense, though.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

SixteenShells posted:

results from some thread-relevant daily questions YouGov did this week. granted, these are the numbers after YouGov does their secret sauce reweighting of their survey data, but still, I was surprised by how favorably covid mitigations were viewed

lol even republicans are in favor of the horrific covid mitigations that stole our freedom and ruined a generation of children

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

I love when minority policy preferences end up becoming policy. Makes me really confident that we still live in a democracy.

Noted Dumbass-in-Other-Areas Will Stancil has been tracking and posting Covid mitigation survey opinions for years and at no point did mitigation approval drop below 50%. The entire narrative that Americans were sick and tired of protecting themselves from Covid was artificial from day one, in the same way someone a few pages back mentioned how the pro-smoking campaigns worked: show cool people smoking everywhere and people will think smoking is cool.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Reading the article it sure seems like $18.5 million for nasal spray vaccines, $100 million for a consultancy firm and the rest for assorted.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/10/13/health/hhs-project-nextgen-covid/index.html posted:

First on CNN: HHS awards more than $500 million to study Covid-19 vaccine nasal sprays and more

In the future, some Covid-19 vaccines may not be jabs in the arm. They could be a nasal spray or even a patch on the skin. Those are just two examples of the kind of next-generation vaccine technology that federal health officials are hoping to help advance.

The US Department of Health and Human Services announced Friday that it has selected three initial next-generation vaccine candidates to receive funding awards to help kick-start planning for Phase 2b clinical trials, slated to begin as early as this winter. Two of those studies involve intranasal vaccine candidates, and one involves a self-amplifying mRNA vaccine candidate.

HHS announced more than $500 million in awards to help advance the development of potential vaccines and therapeutics, which includes those initial three vaccine candidates.

The funding – part of Project NextGen, a $5 billion government initiative to develop new and more durable Covid-19 vaccines and treatments – builds on the more than $1.4 billion that was awarded in August.

“It’s an opportunity to move the science forward,” said Dawn O’Connell, HHS’s assistant secretary for preparedness and response.

“While this is focused on Covid – and it should be as we look at this very unpredictable virus and try to stay ahead of it and try to get more durable and lasting immunity – the technology that we’re currently investing in, and are going to be announcing investments in, will be important in lots of different ways,” she added. “The ways in which we’re moving the science forward will be critical for future outbreaks of other diseases.”

The intranasal vaccine candidates are administered as sprays in the nostrils and have the potential to target viruses at the site of infections. One candidate is being developed by the Mount Sinai-affiliated company CastleVax, which was awarded $8.5 million. The other is by the New York-based biotechnology company Codagenix, which was awarded $10 million.

“We continue to look for ways to provide the most protection possible against this virus and so being able to stop it at the source of infection, within the nasal passage, would be a really important breakthrough for Covid, a respiratory virus,” O’Connell said, adding that providing a way to administer vaccine without the use of a prickly needle is an “appealing side benefit,” too.

Meanwhile, the self-amplifying mRNA vaccine candidate is administered as an injection and is being developed by the California-based biotechnology company Gritstone Bio, which was awarded $10 million.

According to Gritstone, unlike traditional mRNA, self-amplifying mRNA “has an inherent ability to replicate by creating copies of the original strand of RNA once it is in the cell.”

MRNA vaccines have proved successful in the nation’s fight against Covid-19, but the self-amplifying Gritstone vaccine candidate expresses additional antigens, said Robert Johnson, director of the medical countermeasures program at the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA).

An antigen is a substance that causes your immune system to make antibodies against it. Self-amplifying mRNA vaccines have been shown to enhance antigen expression at lower doses than conventional mRNA, making copies of itself at the cellular level.

“We think with these additional antigens, you have a good opportunity to get a broader response or response that lasts longer than the current vaccines,” Johnson said. “It’s self-amplifying, and what that really means is with that technology, the approach is that you need to use less of the vaccine to get an equal immune response.”

Also in the works for the future is the potential study of vaccines administered through skin patches.

As part of Project NextGen, BARDA awarded $100 million to the New York-based consultancy firm Luminary Labs to administer two competitions focused on incentivizing the development of patches for vaccine delivery and reducing the number of vaccine doses needed for an effective immune response. That funding is part of more than $241 million being awarded to support new technologies that will improve national preparedness for future Covid-19 outbreaks and patient access to therapeutics.

“One of the things we’re trying to do is incentivize and work with partners that traditionally don’t work with the US government,” Johnson said. “So we’re using this approach with Luminary to put out a notice saying, ‘This is what we’re looking for,’ and then providing an incentive for companies to move towards that goal.”

He added that the idea of using patch technology to deliver vaccines could have some advantages, such as a longer shelf life, not needing to be stored at cold temperatures or offering another option for people who want to avoid injections.

BARDA is also awarding more than $240 million toward all currently planned and future Project NextGen studies, including work in cold-chain sample management, genomic sequencing and increased laboratory capacity for testing.

Separate from Project NextGen, two-in-one combination vaccines are being developed for the future.

Moderna has been studying a two-in-one combination vaccine against both flu and Covid-19; Pfizer and BioNTech have been working on one, as has Novavax.

Moderna announced this month that in Phase 1/2 data, its combination vaccine against flu and Covid-19 appeared to elicit “strong” immune responses and had an “acceptable” safety profile. The company is targeting 2025 for potential regulatory approval of the combination vaccine.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pingui posted:

$100 million to the New York-based consultancy firm Luminary Labs to administer two competitions focused on incentivizing the development of patches for vaccine delivery and reducing the number of vaccine doses needed for an effective immune response.

in disadvantaged communities for three years rear end sounding sentence

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Pingui posted:

Reading the article it sure seems like $18.5 million for nasal spray vaccines, $100 million for a consultancy firm and the rest for assorted.

Are any of these magical nasal spray vaccines NOT a live attenuated vaccine? Every single nasal vax I've heard of before is, and nobody who is immuno-compromised can have them. It would be one thing if there was a chance in hell of reaching any kind of herd immunity, but there isn't. Honestly yet another 'We have the tools, except for all those people who can't have the tools.' sounds like it will just make things somehow even worse for a lot people.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

my guess is doctors don’t get kickbacks when the prescribe pax so they don’t care as much. maybe not true.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
My sister's at an infectious diseases conference RN and I can't decide if this slide from it is better for the disease thread or the climate disaster thread

They also answered the burning video games/drama shows question that everyone's been asking

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Pingui posted:

Good news for people hoping their resin covered lungs will protect them. The results aren't public, nor peer-reviewed, so take it with a massive helping of salt.
"Marijuana Consumers Who Caught COVID Had ‘Better Outcomes And Mortality’ Than Nonusers, Study Finds"

Sounds good, had it not been for this troubling and unbiased information:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR9sDYPjNfI

:birddrugs:

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
0 of my male friends are willing to get vaccinated, not even with Novavax, because one friend claimed he got myocarditis from the first shot.

they are going to get their flu shot today tho

“no thx, covid is a basic bitch cold at this point”

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I have probably gotten covid from an inpatient hospital stay, or something related to it, because no one else in my household is experiencing a sore throat and a fatigue that is making it hard for them to speak besides me. So that is nice. Hopefully it does not progress into long covid.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
Costco has Winix air purifiers on sale again for $100. Have been happy with mine I got the last time they were on sale. Pretty quiet on all but the 'turbo' setting and has a air quality sensor that changes color when you fart near in.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

shazbot posted:

0 of my male friends are willing to get vaccinated, not even with Novavax, because one friend claimed he got myocarditis from the first shot.

they are going to get their flu shot today tho

Another public health communications success!

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The problem is, when an unprecidented amount of people are sick and out of work, they will be left to die. Americans fundamentally know this but don't think this will happen to them. It is so surreal to be witnessing this.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

shazbot posted:

Billions of basic bitches served, then.

The other day I remembered one of my fellow hockey players who, like the rest of them, never wears a mask, was telling people that his teenage daughter got long covid and had to give up playing hockey.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

eXXon posted:

Billions of basic bitches served, then.

The other day I remembered one of my fellow hockey players who, like the rest of them, never wears a mask, was telling people that his teenage daughter got long covid and had to give up playing hockey.

You'd think hockey players would understand the value of masking more than most

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1712882601277460730?s=46&t=m6fGiglUP1-mz5m0sRqpiw

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pingui posted:

YMMV but I don't particularly appreciate this framing, as it comes down to more comorbidities and worse healthcare in the cohort, while othering the victims of COVID for white middle+ class people. It is framed in that liberal way, where minorities are victims and you should feel bad about that, but also you are not a minority, so really - if you think about it - you have nothing to worry about and it's fine.

Idk, maybe I am tilting at windmills :shrug: It would be great if the consequence was to increase healthcare in Black communities, but somehow that is never what happens...

good loving lord, imagining thinking people with existing health conditions aren't the canaries in the coal mine for cumulative damage and there's some sort of white people force field that will prevent these outcomes for them

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

At Costco getting the Novavax juice and saw an employee wearing a surgical mask pulled down covering mouth only. Many such cases!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/joaquinlife/status/1712853969821950413?s=46

roommate had a Costco appointment but then got a call today that they ran out

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

did they name the casket company after the submersible disaster? lmfao

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Pingui posted:

Depressing. I would *hope* the majority of that 100 million is going to prizes for actually developing cool/good stuff (dermal patch vaccines? ehhhh). But it does just sound like a more sophisticated version of Scalise and his 500K steaks. It's not like democrats are really any cleaner with this poo poo. Luminary labs - "We serve as thought partners to leaders tasked with going beyond business as usual"

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Baddog posted:

Depressing. I would *hope* the majority of that 100 million is going to prizes for actually developing cool/good stuff (dermal patch vaccines? ehhhh). But it does just sound like a more sophisticated version of Scalise and his 500K steaks. It's not like democrats are really any cleaner with this poo poo. Luminary labs - "We serve as thought partners to leaders tasked with going beyond business as usual"

It is admittedly an uncharitable read (the funds include prize money), but then trust is earned and... well... let's just say I let the headline's level of disingenuous framing guide me.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Potato Salad posted:

The rebound concern trolling, holy poo poo.

To wit, "hmm some patients have COVID symptoms after the paxlovid course is complete, better not prescribe it at all"

unreal

"Hmmm it works when the patient is using it. We better not use it!"

"Sometimes when we re-open the barn door the horse escapes anyway so we're not going to bother trying to close it any more"

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

What's the current situation with the bridge program for free vaccines? I've got a close friend currently without insurance that I'd like to help get a booster.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

tangy yet delightful posted:

What's the current situation with the bridge program for free vaccines? I've got a close friend currently without insurance that I'd like to help get a booster.

says you can find bridge program partners on vaccine.gov?

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/bridge/index.html

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

tangy yet delightful posted:

Use the vaccines.gov website to search and you can filter for 'bridge access program' participants. If they go to one of the regular pharmacies that are participants (CVS, etc..) they may need to be firm and repeat themselves a couple times, and specifically use the terms 'bridge access program' because the person on duty may be clueless and/or want to push to charge people cash or use private insurance if they have it.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Good straightforward article that crams a lot into a little space. Could be one to send to people.

https://twitter.com/TaylorLorenz/status/1712879553897537733
https://www.thenation.com/article/society/covid-pandemic-panic-calm-advice/

It's refreshing seeing an article flat out state that everyone's at risk for Long COVID.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Impressive Friday afternoon news dump; I hope everyone enjoyed the tools while they had them.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-amends-us-government-paxlovid-supply-agreement-and posted:

Pfizer Amends U.S. Government Paxlovid Supply Agreement and Updates Full-Year 2023 Guidance

Albert Bourla announces an important agreement with the U.S. government that will make it easier for patients to access Pfizer’s oral antiviral treatment for COVID-19. This will help ensure that the United States will have a robust stockpile for future use and helps provide more clarity on the commercial market for COVID related products. This is the next logical step in Pfizer’s unrelenting effort to help ensure every eligible patient continues to have access to this potentially life-saving medicine.
(..)
Paxlovid Amended Agreement with U.S. Government Facilitates Commercialization
At the end of 2023, Pfizer will accept a non-cash return of any remaining Emergency Use Authorized (EUA)-labeled U.S. government inventory, estimated to be 7.9 million treatment courses, and in the fourth quarter, will reverse the associated revenues currently estimated to be approximately $4.2 billion.

The commercial transition will begin in November 2023, as the U.S. government begins to discontinue the distribution of EUA-labeled Paxlovid. Pfizer will ensure commercial readiness by providing NDA-labeled commercial supply to all channels by the end of 2023, however, EUA-labeled Paxlovid will remain available free-of-charge to all eligible patients until the end of the year, and therefore Pfizer expects only minimal uptake of NDA-labeled commercial product before January 1, 2024.

Any remaining EUA-labeled treatment courses previously purchased by the U.S. government will be converted to a volume-based credit. This credit will support continued access to Paxlovid through a patient assistance program (PAP) operated by Pfizer on behalf of the U.S. government. As part of the PAP, all federally insured patients (Medicare and Medicaid) and the uninsured will receive Paxlovid, free of charge, through 2024. Beginning in 2024, Pfizer will sell Paxlovid to privately insured patients (commercial) with prices to be negotiated with payers and offer a copay program through 2028. The PAP will continue to provide access to Paxlovid to eligible uninsured and underinsured patients through that same period.

Additionally, Pfizer will manage and supply 1.0 million treatment course U.S. Strategic National Stockpile (SNS) to enable future pandemic preparedness and refresh stock prior to expiry through 2028.
(..)

Pingui has issued a correction as of 02:39 on Oct 14, 2023

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Pingui posted:

Impressive Friday afternoon news dump; I hope everyone enjoyed the tools while they had them.

:rubby:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Time to do a bunch of telehealth

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Hey has anyone found any reasonable and treated equivalent to https://cybernightmarket.com/products/mini-far-uvc-lights-set ? I've been trying to get a set for my wife's office for like a year and no luck.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
If the private sector vaccine rollout hadn't been so successful, good and cool, I would have questioned the wisdom of changing Paxlovid access in the middle of the winter wave.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Sorry if this has come up recently but this thread moves too fast for me keep up with a lot of the time - are the updated boosters typically being covered by health insurance providers? I thought I saw a few weeks ago that the updated mrna boosters were being purchased out of pocket in some cases.

Seeing the pricing info on novavax shots from Costco is getting me curious on what the coverage on boosters is now that Biden and company ruined the good old days of people just throwing syringes at you without an insurance card even being presented.

Edit: I just saw the post about the bridge program, but was thinking more of my situation where I have insurance but wasn't sure if or how the boosters are covered

adebisi lives has issued a correction as of 03:36 on Oct 14, 2023

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lol/lmao

Hearing one of her colleagues say “it’s better than nothing,” Sol Espinoza spoke up.

“I’d rather take nothing,” said Espinoza, a firefighter with Cal Fire in San Bernardino. Espinoza said she could never imagine wearing a constrictive device that makes it harder to breathe.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/california-wildfires/article/firefighters-smoke-respirators-18405003.php

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Time to do a bunch of telehealth

listen Buddy it’s against the rules and you’re gonna make whole roller derby leagues run out of paxlovid with this crazy caver doomer talk just let the pharma giant buy back all the unused, perfectly good medicine, incinerate it, then sell you the same medicine in a different box for $750 per half-course if you can get it prescribed.

just
be
normal

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
You doomers laughed but look! Someone is taking all of the pax right out of the disadvantaged communities that could have used it! Hoarding millions of doses!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I didn’t touch the obviously cursed object but lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

adebisi lives posted:

Sorry if this has come up recently but this thread moves too fast for me keep up with a lot of the time - are the updated boosters typically being covered by health insurance providers? I thought I saw a few weeks ago that the updated mrna boosters were being purchased out of pocket in some cases.

Seeing the pricing info on novavax shots from Costco is getting me curious on what the coverage on boosters is now that Biden and company ruined the good old days of people just throwing syringes at you without an insurance card even being presented.

Edit: I just saw the post about the bridge program, but was thinking more of my situation where I have insurance but wasn't sure if or how the boosters are covered

realistically the only problem ive seen with covid boosters and private insurance is some plans are out of network and won't take claims from our pharmacy, i haven't run across any plans charging copays or denying claims... we're only getting 30 novovax at a time which lasts us about a day and a half apparently