Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Leperflesh posted:

:spooky: There's a halloween spooky forum this month, and Pragmatica says we can temporarily move threads there if we want! If you guys would like this thread to go on a scary trip to the halloween land, let mods know and we can do it no problem. :spooky:

If it means more people will see it, sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Goat!

"Devil"
Ally. Creature. Cursed.
Forced – At the beginning of your turn: Move 1 damage from your investigator to "Devil".
Forced – When "Devil" is defeated, deal 2 damage to each enemy and investigator at your location.

And also this:

Control Variable
Insight. Science. Cursed.
Fast. Play after an investigator reveals a curse token during a test at your location.
Discover 1 clue at your location.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I wish they would have released the repackaged Innsmouth prior to the new cycle so that I could easily acquire the bless/curse cards there.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The devil is extremely good for Hank phase 2, who can’t heal but can move damage. But you better keep that goat alive, it’s made of gasoline!

Edit: That Goat is a very good candidate for calling in favors.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Hello, operator? Please connect me to my goat.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kalko posted:

Hello, operator? Please connect me to my goat.

Hello, goat? Please connect me to my operator.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Golden Bee posted:

The devil is extremely good for Hank phase 2, who can’t heal but can move damage. But you better keep that goat alive, it’s made of gasoline!

Edit: That Goat is a very good candidate for calling in favors.

Seems like an alternative to Aquilah for Daniela also.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
Unique is a pity. I would have liked chain goat detonation.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

At least the unique goat can lead the Charisma/Rod of Animalism dog cat swarm.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Question for Akachi’s signature weakness, angered spirits: in order to move charges onto it, can you exhaust a card like divination, which does not have “exhaust:” on its text? If so, how does the exhausted card function? Could you still access its investigate action?

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Yes, you can exhaust it. I think you can still use non-exhaust abilities on exhausted cards, but I don't have a great source for a specific ruling.

Stagger_Lee fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 9, 2023

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
Is that... how it works? I was always under the impression that you can activate a card that was exhausted, but you can't pay any costs that require it to tap again. So for example Butterfly Swords 5 can exhaust to gain the +1 damage on the second attack if it was untapped, but after its tapped you can still activate the ability as many times as you want, but can no longer do the second part of the effect.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Yeah I think I had a wrong ruling that I tried to get rid of right away but wasn't fast enough.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
That is correct; the only thing an exhausted card can't do is be exhausted again as a cost.

Akachi can, for example, use Angered Spirits to exhaust Shrivelling, moving one of its charges to Angered Spirits, and then use Shrivelling to attack an enemy in the same round, because Shrivelling's attack action does not require exhausting. Contrariwise, if she uses Angered Spirits to exhaust Suggestion and move a charge from it to Angered Spirits, she can no longer activate Suggestion's -> ability, since it has "exhaust Suggestion" in the cost.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

DontMockMySmock posted:

That is correct; the only thing an exhausted card can't do is be exhausted again as a cost.

Akachi can, for example, use Angered Spirits to exhaust Shrivelling, moving one of its charges to Angered Spirits, and then use Shrivelling to attack an enemy in the same round, because Shrivelling's attack action does not require exhausting. Contrariwise, if she uses Angered Spirits to exhaust Suggestion and move a charge from it to Angered Spirits, she can no longer activate Suggestion's -> ability, since it has "exhaust Suggestion" in the cost.
Holy poo poo, I just re-read the rule and you're right.
That makes a lot of my micromanage-y decisions of when to use an exhaust action over keeping a card permanent effect or other action seem really worthless now...

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Decent Prime Day deals on Arkham LCG product, 20-25% off most things.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

If it means more people will see it, sure.

Sorry, just getting back around to this. It will mean more people will see it! But also more randos wandering in, perhaps. If more than just one poster is in favor I'll do it, but if it's just one vote for, probably not?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Yeah, sure. This thread is often pretty technical/in the weeds on the game’s mechanics, but I think everybody here would be happy to talk about the game to people who push past that with questions from interested non-players.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2023/10/13/laid-to-rest/

Parallel Jim! drat that weakness hits hard. That Spirit deck is super interesting, but since he's curse token based it makes me want to hold off trying him until the next expansion.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

That looks really interesting, but I’m not sure how the spirit deck works. It seems like as soon as you draw them, they’re attached to The Beyond, which blanks their card text and makes them invalid for soak, and there’s no way to actually get them in play proper?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It only blanks their traits and the rule document says they're in play once they're attached to the beyond, so you still get skill boosts and the text box. They are invalid for soak though, correct (they do lose the ally trait though, so ally targeting treacheries won't ultra kill Jim).

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 13, 2023

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
rolling around up to 4 free allies (that can't soak) seems very powerful, but I wonder if its powerful enough to make up for that awful weakness or the fact that his new parallel power is still fundamentally at the mercy of token draw (although adding a charge is waaay better than just treating skulls as 0s.)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
what this is really doing is tempting me into trying to buy the dunwich cycle in its current blister form instead of waiting for the big box release.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Impermanent posted:

what this is really doing is tempting me into trying to buy the dunwich cycle in its current blister form instead of waiting for the big box release.

You mean Innsmouth right? (not trying to be a correcting rear end, just making sure you know it's Innsmouth that has the curse/bless stuff if that's what you're wanting. The big box of Dunwich is already out if you want that)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

You mean Innsmouth right? (not trying to be a correcting rear end, just making sure you know it's Innsmouth that has the curse/bless stuff if that's what you're wanting. The big box of Dunwich is already out if you want that)

right sorry yea! that's what I mean.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Impermanent posted:

rolling around up to 4 free allies (that can't soak) seems very powerful, but I wonder if its powerful enough to make up for that awful weakness or the fact that his new parallel power is still fundamentally at the mercy of token draw (although adding a charge is waaay better than just treating skulls as 0s.)

Funny this comes out right after they introduce the new "for each" ruling that stops players from blanking his weakness with Deny Existence.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

For each weaknesses are brutal, enemy weaknesses are easy to defeat with any guardian in the party. They also become less effective as you gain XP and more ways to kill.

I might not try custom Jim because I don’t wanna play that scenario again 🤣. It’s brutal.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I don't think I understand the new rules for Deny Existence and I've Had Worse. If you have two encounter cards, one where you take damage for every point you fail and another where you take a point of damage or discard a card for every point you fail (which is a less awful effect since you get to choose), deny existence completely cancels the first one but not the second?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
that's right. because each instance of choosing is a new effect

this also means that Earthly Serentity can make Carolyn extremely rich very quickly now

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I hate it. At least it takes the sting out of my group moving on to other things.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
sorry for your loss

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I just ignore official rulings when they suck.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

sirtommygunn posted:

I just ignore official rulings when they suck.

Good point. Unlike WotC, Fantasy Flight probably won't send Pinkertons to my house.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Welcome to the spooky forum!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Welcome to the spooky forum!

I've played every campaign, read every Lovecraft story, but this is too spooky for me, I'll see you in November. stay safe everyone

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
What's yalls opinion on the spookiest campaign.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Carcosa or Circle Undone of the ones I've played, Carcosa has a lot of your classic horror locations, haunted theatre, catacombs, an asylum with potentially shady doctors, island monastery and an old timey party filled with crazy people or are you crazy? Spooky! You can even get lobotomized at the asylum potentially! It has lots of mystery as to whats going on and quite detailed descriptions of the terrible things that have happened/can happen depending on your choices.

Then Circle Undone has witches and ghosts and deals with the sins of the past and you go out to spooky farms, haunted houses, cult mansions and islands out on the Arkham river. That ones definitely the most halloweeny I think.

The single most spooky scenario imo is probably the opener of campaign B though, a hospital you've taken your friends to slowly filling up with spiders until there are giant horse sized spider monsters bursting into reality. I'm not even arachnophobic, kinda like spiders usually but it still made my skin crawl. Maybe I'm actually afraid of 1920s hospitals come to think of it?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

The Dunwich Legacy sees you visiting the spookiest place of all: Western Massachusetts.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Took me a while to find where this thread went. Parallel Jim is out!

His front side is whatever, it's not super exciting but neither were his original abilities, being able to recharge non-Spell/Relic assets is handy though. It's his new deckbuilding that's a little more interesting. Mystic 0-3, Spell/Cursed 0-4, Neutral 0-5, 5 level 0 Survivor cards, and a new mechanic, the Spirit Deck.

Every turn, Jim pulls out a spooky ghost pal from the Underworld to assist him. You can't assign health or sanity to them, but they're still in play and provide any effects they have. Once you hit four or more, you have to flip it over and play a little minigame to see which ones you get to keep.

And to top it off, a new spooky ghost weakness that goes in the Spirit Deck. Pretty tough, so you'll probably want to keep an automatic evade or guaranteed damage option on hand to deal with it.

Overall, I think this is one of the most fun Parallel investigators they've done in a while. As a reminder, you can mix and match parallel front and back, so if you prefer Jim's original ability or his original deckbuilding for some reason, you can choose to stick with that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

It's hard to judge how good Jim is without seeing his spooky ghost pals, but I'll echo the thoughts that he seems likely to be much stronger now. The weaknesses are really horrible but his trumpet is also insanely strong. You'll want a significant amount of soak because between the two weaknesses and The Beyond he can take a lot of damage and then there's the inherent weaknesses of the curse archetype.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!