Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
and i say that with mexican being my favorite cuisine, and eating mexican from different restaurants at least once or twice per week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
nyc has a high ceiling for most cuisine, including mexican, but the median quality is way lower. you can’t just pick a random place and have a great meal like you can in california.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

yeah and i think a lot of it is just a function of culture spread via immigrants. places closer to mexico have more cultural buy in and thus more demand. up here in boston the real latin bangers are the caribbean poo poo. we have tons of puerto ricans, domenicans, haitians, and trinidadians. so lots of bomb mofongo, roti, all kinds of mindblowingly great poo poo.

we have some very ok mexican but the mexican community here is much tinier compared to the the west indian diaspora here

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

raminasi posted:

nyc has a high ceiling for most cuisine, including mexican, but the median quality is way lower. you can’t just pick a random place and have a great meal like you can in california.

adding to this, there's basically no correlation between price and quality

i've eaten at expensive places in nyc that were at best mediocre and tiny hole-in-the-wall places with low prices that were fantastic, as well as vice versa

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Internet Janitor posted:

i've eaten at expensive places in nyc that were at best mediocre and tiny hole-in-the-wall places with low prices that were fantastic, as well as vice versa

thats everywhere i think. ive had plenty of expensive but mediocre dinners in san francisco.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the largest contributor to restaurant prices by far in the modern large city is the price of rent

so expensive just means landlord hosed them, not anything about the food

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

also new jersey unironically whips for a bunch of reasons. its hell for many other reasons like having to drive 45 minutes for good thai food, but its the platonic ideal of the suburbs in a way that ohio and indiana arent. im a full rear end city princess and i grew up in boston proper so i have a very different expectation of density, but provided you have a car, it’s actually an extremely clutch place if you’re a suburban type.

its micro california where every part of the state is a different biome, and even your shittiest suburb town is at most a 2 hour drive from nyc, philly, or both. so if you have a car its basically inconsequential to get from deep suburb to the beaches to the woods to the city. its extremely not for me, but if i was an extremely normal person with normal suburban needs nj is honestly my second choice over ma. great public services and schools, pretty good regional transit, and absolutely god tier pierogies.

mind you i moved there to live in a punk house in new brunswick, a big college town, sans car and while i certainly had to rely on other folks for transit i actually did kind of ok on a bicycle. but the nj problem is everybody always lives 45 minutes apart by car. luckily everybody would come to my house for the basement shows so getting the gang together wasnt awful. i definitely wouldnt live there without a car now but it was Mostly Doable*

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Internet Janitor posted:

yeah this is absolutely true. there's a ton of great hole-in-the-wall places, a lot of mediocre ones, and the same applies for more expensive big places. it definitely varies, but i'd say at worst you'd get a mediocre meal. it's really difficult to find a place in nyc that truly has bad food

Casual Encountess posted:

also new jersey unironically whips for a bunch of reasons.

hell yeah lol. i grew up pretty close to new brunswick and had a lot of friends that went to rutgers, it's a pretty decent place to live

and due to its proximity to nyc the same applies for food there. it's just a bit more spread out, of course, but you can get an excellent meal. you gotta hunt for it though

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ahem: lol rutgers

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
n.b. i didn't go to rutgers lol

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah this is absolutely true. there's a ton of great hole-in-the-wall places, a lot of mediocre ones, and the same applies for more expensive big places. it definitely varies, but i'd say at worst you'd get a mediocre meal. it's really difficult to find a place in nyc that truly has bad food
there is so much choice and competition in the restaurant space in nyc that truly bad restaurants tend to fold pretty quickly

also

Captain Foo posted:

ahem: lol rutgers

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
:tony soprano voice:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

buttgers

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

yeah to the above its all about density and distribution compared to other stuff, with the probability of something being good being higher in certain areas

nj : i dont live there anymore as i am deliberately aggressively anticar (why i moved to nyc) but if youre not its pretty great

edit: and the public transit is pretty good but there is an expectation of having a car baked into a lot of stuff in terms of layout, even w density, unless you live in like jersey city or hoboken or newark

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 13, 2023

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

hell yeah lol. i grew up pretty close to new brunswick and had a lot of friends that went to rutgers, it's a pretty decent place to live

and due to its proximity to nyc the same applies for food there. it's just a bit more spread out, of course, but you can get an excellent meal. you gotta hunt for it though

i went to a really awesome afghani restaurant in NB once, and was never able to find it again because i can't for the life of me figure out how any of the roads around there work

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Beeftweeter posted:

lmao i biked from new brunswick to edison (through metuchen) to work at the menlo park mall for a while and it was honestly fine. there is a fuckin sick rail trail from new brunswick to princeton thats a ton of fun and i wanna do again.

but yeah id do nj before ever going anywhere near the midwest. i do not trust places without beaches and good seafood and i will absolutely die on that hill.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
not gonna lie you all are doing a great sell of NJ. i previously poo poo on it relentlessly but it sounds quite alright

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i stayed in jersey city on a business trip once and it was fine and everyone was very nice and pretty chill

that's my nj experience thanks

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

biking across far south jersey is great (around vineland) because it is practically empty and flat as hell. the biggest worry is getting chased by turkeys

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jonny 290 posted:

not gonna lie you all are doing a great sell of NJ. i previously poo poo on it relentlessly but it sounds quite alright

its bad reputation is entirely undeserved

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

until recently I had only been to new jersey on accident

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lmao i biked from new brunswick to edison (through metuchen) to work at the menlo park mall for a while and it was honestly fine. there is a fuckin sick rail trail from new brunswick to princeton thats a ton of fun and i wanna do again.

but yeah id do nj before ever going anywhere near the midwest. i do not trust places without beaches and good seafood and i will absolutely die on that hill.

yeah absolutely. it's kinda funny that in college i lived around where you do now and while it's far less walkable/bikeable it's really kinda similar. if NJ were somehow out of contention for me i'd do MA as my #2 choice in a heartbeat

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
private beaches weird me the gently caress out. the first time i went down the shore i made my friends explain to me slowly in small words that you couldn’t just go walk on the beach without paying someone because i could not wrap my head around it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah absolutely. it's kinda funny that in college i lived around where you do now and while it's far less walkable/bikeable it's really kinda similar. if NJ were somehow out of contention for me i'd do MA as my #2 choice in a heartbeat
terrible taste in states smh

edit: also are you describing NJ as bikeable? lol

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

raminasi posted:

private beaches weird me the gently caress out. the first time i went down the shore i made my friends explain to me slowly in small words that you couldn’t just go walk on the beach without paying someone because i could not wrap my head around it.

i actually love this because yeah 10 bucks to get on the beach sucks but it goes directly to upkeep and maintenance and conservation so like. i defend it at least a little. obviously this impacts low income folks more but i think generally it is a great way to ensure public waterfronts are well maintained

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mystes posted:

no no

encountess works (lives?) around beacon hill in mass, i lived there about 10 years ago and it's very walkable and bikeable. around new brunswick has a kinda similar vibe but you need a car

but my point was more that both nj and mass have decent public transportation options to get to the denser city areas from the suburbs anyway. it doesn't make walkability irrelevant of course but both have better options than 99% of US states

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

here you pay the ten bucks or whatever to park or get into certain larger like "park" (as in public park not parking) areas but like, you could just park your car somewhere else and walk over to the part of the beach with the "private" parking pretty easy

it seems to do just fine maintaining the waterfront regardless :shrug:

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

all the public beaches closest to boston are loving disgusting and not places id hang out at. however theres lots of beach towns along the coastline where they limit parking to some insanely low number like 50 for a 3 mile long beach and get extremely tow happy. nobody bothers you if you bike there, however, and for an extra half hour to hour (depending on direction) you can go from trashed and polluted urban beach to bullshit New England Fishing Village vibes pretty quickly and thats nice.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I prefer free public beach access everywhere but I have no problem with towns charging for parking/changing rooms/showers/whatever as long as you don't have to pay to walk to the actual beach

all the public beaches closest to boston are loving disgusting and not places id hang out at.
I think a bunch would be fine except that they're right by highways or major roads and/or across inlets from highways which doesn't seem like a problem that's caused by them being free?

I guess I'm also ok with having sections of beaches be state/national parks and charge for access as long as they aren't dumb about it, but having every tiny town control access to the tiny strip of beach that's public, with the rest being private, like in most of the northeast is really annoying

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 13, 2023

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mystes posted:

I prefer free public beach access everywhere but I have no problem with towns charging for parking/changing rooms/showers/whatever as long as you don't have to pay to walk to the actual beach

yeah here both the beach and the changing rooms / showers are completely free to access basically everywhere, it's just if you wanna park close to the beach you pay, and i think that's fine and seems to generate enough money that our beaches are all pretty nice and clean so :shrug:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ubiquitous cars are a blight on the world, but on the us in particular. and i say that with a deep love of the american, who (as largely incredibly personable) wasn't due that particular curse.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i know it sounds weird but new jersey honestly has some excellent beaches

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess the connecticut supreme court ruled for public access to the beach everywhere which is really neat. I wish Massachusetts would do that too but I can't see it happening

Beeftweeter posted:

i know it sounds weird but new jersey honestly has some excellent beaches
That I will not disagree about

Most of the nicer beaches are more south in NJ but going to Sandy Hook/Gateway National Recreation Area was also one of the nicer things when I was living in NJ

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 13, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
doesn't california also have that and some billionaire tried to overturn it

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

mystes posted:

also no, but if you live in a suburb and use the regional commuter transit to get into nyc/boston for work, very specific areas of each state open up for you and can be car free, but within very specific limitations. honestly the most common thing i do is walk to the grocery store and then uber back if its a big trip. basically anything else besides large item transport can be served by living in one of these transit corridors, but like i said theres big fat drawbacks to being carless in the burbs, like being unable to get to a neighboring town on public transit without going out then in, so ideally all of your needs are in a bikeable radius.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

haveblue posted:

doesn't california also have that and some billionaire tried to overturn it

not just overturn it, but illegally obstruct public beach entrances and hire rent-a-cops to stand in front of the beach entrances and lie to the public

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Beach access should absolutely be free everywhere. Parking and such around it can be whatever but the beach itself should be open for all.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mystes posted:

That I will not disagree about

Most of the nicer beaches are more south in NJ but going to Sandy Hook/Gateway National Recreation Area was also one of the nicer things when I was living in NJ

sandy hook is really very nice. when i was in grade/middle school we'd go on field trips "to the lighthouse" which really just ended up being a day at the beach with your friends, it loving owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

when we went on field trips to a lighthouse it was a lot of stair climbing and learning about how hard it was to be a lighthouse keeper and how they had to carry gallons of kerosene all the way up the stairs multiple times a day