Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Marsupial Ape posted:

I don’t want to restart anything, but isn’t Shin a teenager and Sabine in her early 30s? Padawans are high school age, right?

Shin and Sabine are the same age mentally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Remember when the Jedi were knights? poo poo, remember when the Jedi were even called knights?

What happened to that?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It would have been a little more truth in advertising to call them jedi monks from the outset. But george as expected had a good marketing instinct that that would sound lame, as indeed it is lame

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LividLiquid posted:

Remember when the Jedi were knights? poo poo, remember when the Jedi were even called knights?

What happened to that?

We just had Shin and Baylan in knight-like armor, with him swinging his Lightsaber around like a broadsword and musing like an English lord the entire time.

Ahsoka has its flaws, but that was one thing that was legitimately cool.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

We just had Shin and Baylan in knight-like armor, with him swinging his Lightsaber around like a broadsword and musing like an English lord the entire time.

Ahsoka has its flaws, but that was one thing that was legitimately cool.

Technically he should have straightened his arms a bit more to create better structure, but honestly solid longsword technique by Hollywood standards.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Yet again, absolutely criminal that Ray was taken so soon :sigh:

Hope his storyline gets a proper telling - comics would make the best choice, because I really don't want a digital ghoul paraded in front of my eyes

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Servetus posted:

Technically he should have straightened his arms a bit more to create better structure, but honestly solid longsword technique by Hollywood standards.

He was also on a Crusade as well, come to think of it

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Dr.Radical posted:

Shin and Sabine are the same age mentally

Fair.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Neddy Seagoon posted:

He was also on a Crusade as well, come to think of it

His Last Crusade, sadly

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
"I watched an entire television series, as a joke"

:laffo:

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

maybealabia posted:

"I watched an entire television series, as a joke"

:laffo:

If you can't appreciate watching bad TV with some friends while cracking jokes and killing yourselves laughing then I suppose you make wiser decisions with your time than I.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

Hope his storyline gets a proper telling - comics would make the best choice, because I really don't want a digital ghoul paraded in front of my eyes

Reviving the Tales of the Jedi comic book series for an entry on Baylan Skoll would be rad. Just have the whole series be him walking from the father statue to the source on Peridea. Reminiscing about his time in the acadamy, meeting and training Shin, and his dealings that got him there on Peridea. Then have him walk into the source and have his face melt off :shrug:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Colonel Cool posted:

If you can't appreciate watching bad TV with some friends while cracking jokes and killing yourselves laughing then I suppose you make wiser decisions with your time than I.

It’s ok. I believe you have friends.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

All my friends are just off screen, laughing at Ahsoka

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Nothing gets goons riled up like other goons having friends

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Marsupial Ape posted:

I don’t want to restart anything, but isn’t Shin a teenager and Sabine in her early 30s? Padawans are high school age, right?

Even in the prequel era, Jedi are Padawans from around 13 into their mid-20s. Obi-Wan was like 25 as a Padawan in TPM and he wasn't considered, like, a fuckup or unusually old. Anakin was knighted sometime around 20 or 21, but he was the chosen one and also there was a war on.

I had to check Sabine's age on Wookieepedia and apparently she's 29-30 in Ahsoka.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
With all thse shows jumping around in the timeline so much with the same actors, I you can just pretend that characters constantly age poorly, but every once in a while have a cosmetic bacta bath that spruces them up real nice.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

General Dog posted:

It would just be nice if lightsabers actually felt dangerous, like in ESB when Vader has the point right in Luke’s face and he’s frantically scrambling backward from it.

The really dumb thing about these stabs is that in order for them to be even remotely survivable, the person doing the stabbing has to withdraw the blade at the exact same angle it went in, and the person being stabbed has to remain perfectly still while they do it. Otherwise it makes a gaping, jagged hole or just cuts the person in half.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
No, in every case the person being stabbed uses the force to move themselves into the exact position for it to pull out clean

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SolarFire2 posted:

The really dumb thing about these stabs is that in order for them to be even remotely survivable, the person doing the stabbing has to withdraw the blade at the exact same angle it went in, and the person being stabbed has to remain perfectly still while they do it. Otherwise it makes a gaping, jagged hole or just cuts the person in half.

Sometimes even being bisected isn’t enough to kill someone (Maul for example)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The midichlorians grab on to the lightsaber blade and hold it in place. It’s a symbiont cycle.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Larryb posted:

Sometimes even being bisected isn’t enough to kill someone (Maul for example)

That's one of the reasons I actually shouted 'whoa!' when, playing Jedi Survivor, Cal straight up beheads the first Inquisitor he fights.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I figured this is as good a place as any to ask.

I bought a fancy custom Luke RotJ saber and one of the features is letting you switch colors, accompanied by a voice clip for the respective character. For Luke’s green it’s Luke and Yoda talking. It’s dialogue I’ve never heard before. I assumed it was from the Forces of Destiny cartoon, but wasn’t. Now I think it’s from a game. Can anyone identify where this quote is from?

<Luke> Tell me, is this training?
<Yoda> My training? No. Always training, the universe is.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Grievous is literally a heart, lungs and a head attached to a robot skeleton. No other organs matter in the star wars universe.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Nanigans posted:

I bought a fancy custom Luke RotJ saber and one of the features is letting you switch colors, accompanied by a voice clip for the respective character. For Luke’s green it’s Luke and Yoda talking. It’s dialogue I’ve never heard before. I assumed it was from the Forces of Destiny cartoon, but wasn’t. Now I think it’s from a game. Can anyone identify where this quote is from?

Google suggests it's from one of the recent Battlefront games, possibly the 2017 one.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Nanigans posted:

It's from Battlefront II

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

banned from Starbucks posted:

Grievous is literally a heart, lungs and a head attached to a robot skeleton. No other organs matter in the star wars universe.

Head, lungs, liver, and anus

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

banned from Starbucks posted:

Yeah, he was apparently a member of a species called the Kaleesh that was sabotaged by Dooku and turned into a cyborg (I literally just learned this after seeing this post and looking him up, where did this particular information come from?)

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Vinylshadow posted:

It's from Battlefront II

MMAgCh posted:

Google suggests it's from one of the recent Battlefront games, possibly the 2017 one.

Awesome, thanks! I was using DuckDuckGo instead of Google, so that probably explains it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Larryb posted:

Yeah, he was apparently a member of a species called the Kaleesh that was sabotaged by Dooku and turned into a cyborg (I literally just learned this after seeing this post and looking him up, where did this particular information come from?)

It's old expanded universe material (mostly comics I think). Grievous' backstory is one of those things that they've never really had any reason to revisit post-Disney buyout, so it exists in a schrodinger's canon state, neither confirmed nor contradicted. In the EU it was Dooku who set up the accident that required him to become cyborgized, after which he basically became his bitch, and on some level he was aware of this and resented him for it. In the Filoni-verse I think it is implied he deliberately had himself turned into that in order to be on the level of being able to kill Jedi.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I believe if a Jedi kills you with a blaster, that means they have zero respect for you. "No elegant death for this piece of poo poo!"

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Marsupial Ape posted:

I believe if a Jedi kills you with a blaster, that means they have zero respect for you. "No elegant death for this piece of poo poo!"

No civilized death, you mean

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
They probably didn't mean it.
They're pretty random afterall.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
notably, the old legends explanation for grievous is that his people were fighting a miserable, lovely war against another faction of aliens that were literally eating their babies as a delicacy, but they got in contact with the republic first and described the conflict in such a way that made grievous' people the bad guys and got the republic to intervene on their behalf.

like a lot of the things in the prequels themselves that got cut, it makes the republic too obviously a metaphor for the united states.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

No Mods No Masters posted:

It would have been a little more truth in advertising to call them jedi monks from the outset. But george as expected had a good marketing instinct that that would sound lame, as indeed it is lame

I think he originally meant for a Jedi Knight to be a Knight-errant (with a bit more mysticism tossed in), since we meet them after the fall of the Order. Lone Knights, wandering the shattered galaxy, broken off from their original Order, trying to right the wrongs they come across. And that made sense at the time. The issue came when he had to portray that Order before said fall.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

ungulateman posted:

notably, the old legends explanation for grievous is that his people were fighting a miserable, lovely war against another faction of aliens that were literally eating their babies as a delicacy, but they got in contact with the republic first and described the conflict in such a way that made grievous' people the bad guys and got the republic to intervene on their behalf.

like a lot of the things in the prequels themselves that got cut, it makes the republic too obviously a metaphor for the united states.

Lmao

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

thrawn527 posted:

I think he originally meant for a Jedi Knight to be a Knight-errant (with a bit more mysticism tossed in), since we meet them after the fall of the Order. Lone Knights, wandering the shattered galaxy, broken off from their original Order, trying to right the wrongs they come across. And that made sense at the time. The issue came when he had to portray that Order before said fall.

Ronin are cooler than samurai

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
star wars is about a princess calling on a knight for help. the joke is that the princess' mother was democratically elected and the knight is a former cia agent.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ungulateman posted:

star wars is about a princess calling on a knight for help. the joke is that the princess' mother was democratically elected and the knight is a former cia agent.

Yeah but she didn't inherit her princess title from her biological mom, she inherited it from her adoptive mom, who lives under a hereditary monarchy and is the queen of her planet.

Too bad her planet blew up since she basically becomes as much monarchy as Vegeta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/pabl0hidalgo/status/1712982702415380677