Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Fungah! posted:

it sucks with two good scenes. spielberg cant do horror to save his fuckin life

The only cool part was the big skeleton head popping out of the portal and the guy tearing his face off in the mirror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

The only cool part was the big skeleton head popping out of the portal and the guy tearing his face off in the mirror

i like the dead bodies in the pool of water in the graveyard too but yup

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I always forget the parents are stoners so when I rewatch poltergeist every few years I laugh as they roll joints then go to the neighbors house high as hell

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
cloverfield for the first time since it came out. its fine, novel for the time, has its moments. i didnt get into the pre-release hype back then and my opinion now is exactly the same as it was when i was a teenager so i expect to immediately forget about it for another 15 years as well

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tango and Cash.

Quintessential Buddy Cop movie, really the genre refined to its best. Stallone and Russell really work really well together in this, excellent chemistry. Insane amount of character actors on this too lol, Jack Palance, Robert Zdar, Clint Howard, James Hong, even loving Gul Dukat.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Tango and Cash kicks rear end

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

saw stop making sense last night, my friends first time. he was blown away, david byrne ftmfw

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

cross-postin from the horror thread, watched the original Halloween and it's still a classic. carried by every shot of Michael with the synth score but still drat tense, especially the scenes w/ the fake ghost and Jamie Lee Curtis desperately trying to get back into the house as it cuts to him getting closer and closer. buenísimo. a friend who loves horror movies said the 2018 remake is actually pretty solid so i might check it out too

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

the first time i ever watched tango and cash was on a plane and i was cheering and laughing at the end. then i immediately made my gf watch the last 5 minutes as well, she broke up with me 2 days later

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

herculon posted:

Tango and Cash kicks rear end

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

trying to jack off posted:

the first time i ever watched tango and cash was on a plane and i was cheering and laughing at the end. then i immediately made my gf watch the last 5 minutes as well, she broke up with me 2 days later

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

loving stupid bitch.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Lol good riddance

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

lol

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

herculon posted:

Lol good riddance

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

herculon posted:

Lol good riddance

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Scanners, only knew the head explosion scene before going into it. expected a more dystopian world but was pleasantly surprised it was basically just 1981 with telepaths. likewise i liked that Cameron wasn't some kind of renegade supersoldier but just a guy who didn't know wtf he was or what he was doing before he was plucked to be a recruit against Daryl. wish his performance wasn't so wooden but i guess it was his actor's first major film role ever, plus Michael Ironside made up for it opposite him. also liked how scanners had a variety of ways to utilize their powers and i kinda wish there was more to them showcased. i also did think the "a computer also has a nervous system so...you can scan into a computer!!" reveal was kinda stupid but otherwise a very good flick. the twist caught me really off-guard so props for that too

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)

Haven't seen it since theaters, and it wasn't as good as I remembered it.. but still pretty drat good. Shame it's a Cloverfield movie

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
Dark City

Very cool and great spooky season dark surreal vibes. Criterion has nailed all the recent collections so far they’re all great.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Midnight Express

I feel like this has held up. The one prison guard is a spitting image for James Gandolfini. Rifki is a special piece of poo poo but he is only a product of the environment that made him, he feels like an extension of the prison itself. Young Randy Quaid is strange but he is a trip here. Moroder kills it with his score in this one.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Stop Making Sense

Best songs are still Slippery People/Flippy Floppy/Girlfriend is Better. My wife had never seen it (she's never really dug into music in general), she was really impressed and I'm going to encourage her to listen to Remain In Light.

Castlevania Nocturne

not completely awful and it referenced one of the secret best games Harmony of Dissonance

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Tried to watch The Nun (2018) and fell asleep

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Midnight Express

I feel like this has held up. The one prison guard is a spitting image for James Gandolfini. Rifki is a special piece of poo poo but he is only a product of the environment that made him, he feels like an extension of the prison itself. Young Randy Quaid is strange but he is a trip here. Moroder kills it with his score in this one.

This is one of those movies I need to watch properly since my only time seeing it was a 480p torrent in 2009

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Mean Streets (in 4K!) is showing briefly at the local artsy theatre and I can report Harvey Keitel never looked so good

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I enjoy watching old movies upgraded to HD or 4K at home, but if I’m going to a theater it better be shown in the original format.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

budd dwyer thought posted:

Mean Streets (in 4K!) is showing briefly at the local artsy theatre and I can report Harvey Keitel never looked so good

that sounds like it would kick rear end. good little movie, wild ending.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Halloween (2018). surprisingly deec for a direct sequel 40 years later, most of the actors were w/e but paranoid prepper Jamie Lee Curtis was great. some solid kills and a couple neat shots too. not bad

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

symbolic posted:

Halloween (2018). surprisingly deec for a direct sequel 40 years later, most of the actors were w/e but paranoid prepper Jamie Lee Curtis was great. some solid kills and a couple neat shots too. not bad

*hiding mouth with hand* you gonna watch halloween kills?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

symbolic posted:

i loved that spin on her character and how the mythos was basically while she feels tied to him, she was nothing more than a victim of wrong place and wrong time for the most traumatic night of her life. i thought that for as much as was done great in this one the sequels that followed were just real letdowns

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I prefer the Rob Zombie remake where Michael Myers grew up in a trailer park to filthy parents saying stuff like "Oh he's a bastard Motherfucker from Hell anyways, the gently caress?!" and baby Michael Myers just cries.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I prefer the Rob Zombie remake where Michael Myers grew up in a trailer park to filthy parents saying stuff like "Oh he's a bastard Motherfucker from Hell anyways, the gently caress?!" and baby Michael Myers just cries.

guy with a ponytail and bullet earrings: "its about the psychology you know"

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
the most recent texas chainsaw put me in a fugue state when the main character was a school shooting survivor. i'm not ready to have that conversation yet

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fungah! posted:

*hiding mouth with hand* you gonna watch halloween kills?

my friend suggested it but i declined cuz other plans, thinking i dodged a bullet tho

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i loved that spin on her character and how the mythos was basically while she feels tied to him, she was nothing more than a victim of wrong place and wrong time for the most traumatic night of her life. i thought that for as much as was done great in this one the sequels that followed were just real letdowns

yeah that was cool tho it was still kinda dumb setting her up like "yeah i was hoping he'd escape so i could kill him myself". otherwise, really good performance

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)

Haven't seen it since theaters, and it wasn't as good as I remembered it.. but still pretty drat good. Shame it's a Cloverfield movie

It's a Cloverfield movie in the same way Halloween 3 is a Halloween movie

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Plutonis posted:

Stfu.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Plutonis posted:

the famously connected cloverfield movies

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Kicked off Rocktober with Phantom of the Paradise. Been on my ‘to watch’ list for a long time and saw it on Criterion. Not too bad. Songs are ok, and the stage performances are pretty impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Beetlejuice