Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Am I going insane or was the MSRP on this thing $89 like a month ago?

No, it is usually around $300.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
if it was 89, i'd have bought it and moog would still be alive

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

You’re probably thinking of the werkstatt, which was a similar pseudo-DIY moog synth that usually goes for like $150-200 normally. The mavis has always been $300.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
if they hadn't discontinued the sirin, voyager, 104 etc they'd still be alive

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I'm probably the one person in the world who wanted a Sirin but didn't bite, but I'm legit stumped by the Minifooger poo poo.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Here's some electronic music archeology from India.
https://state51.bandcamp.com/album/the-nid-tapes-electronic-music-from-india-1969-1972

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Ok Comboomer posted:

SSD ultrabooks and tablets have made this a moot issue

It’s the spending curve.

You can buy a workstation like this and be pretty much set for a decade. Churches can swap faster thanks to tithes. The sounds are still fine.

The thing is - the top of the line workstations have the best feeling keyboards out of the entire product range.not that everything below is dogshit, stage pianos and digital pianos tend to have whatever PHA graded weighted hammer hybrid wood ivory touch bullshit going on, but anything less will not feel as good.

The second part is that you only carry one device. Just one thing to hook up on stage.

It requires no research to find a good audio interface (RME is the only one). You don’t have to choose between a variety of models. You don’t have to fear upgrading from Big Sur to Ventura to Sonoma which you would with a regular computer, let alone Windows 11 where every update finds new and exciting ways to show you loving ads on your desktop.

And now you’ve sunken 1500 into a nice Macbook, 200 in Logic, 1000 in a good audio interface, and you get to spend the rest of the budget on plugins. Kontakt is just a gateway drug and you get one piano that you’ll have to tweak yourself. Can’t share sets with another muso because they don’t have the same plugins. Loading a set is not entirely trivial and can take a while.

And yes, this matters absolutely not if you have a modicum of skill, but that also means you can’t spend the rest of the time woodshedding because you need to learn more about the solid block of machined aluminum in front of you.

The additional power was never the point. Buy one thing that people are less likely to steal or cart away, purchase it once, write it off over five years - done. Those extra sounds? Leaving them out won’t make a Montage meaningfully cheaper. The sequencer that’s never used? A few buttons and more software, that won’t break the bank.

And yes - you’d achieve exactly the same thing with a computer that after installing has its wifi lobotomized, its ethernet ports glued shut, everything that is not music related excised, and tweaked so that no service is running (and this is worse for Windows), but now you have to cart two boxes on stage instead of one.

I say this as a huge fan of software synths who doesn’t mind some of the janitoring needed to make plugins run. But - I kind of get where they’re coming from.

Besides, workstations depreciate in price nicely for a vibrant secondhand market. You can buy a Motif right now that’ll feel more solid and pleasant to play than any controller out there bar NI’s or so. NI’s controller can’t integrate well with DAWs and won’t make a sound on its own. Sure - the 64 megabyte for the piano isn’t spectacular, but it’ll sound good - and live sound is a compromise in any case.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Yeah it would be the way I'd go if I was a musician instead of a tone deaf technology cum frugality enthusiast.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Also are there even any like, premade pieces of windows software that come all set up to do the arranging stuff? Like a bunch (and uhh, watching that vid I mean A BUNCH) of premade backing tracks/rhythms/harmonies etc, that are split across keyboard by default, with left hand changing chords and right hand playing a lead. Also with some sort of sample trigger loaded up at the same time with contextual one-shot samples triggered from the trigger pad you also had to pack? Like I think even getting past the extensive work involved in just getting the laptop + interface together and set up so that it's even mostly as stable and reliable as the Arranger keyboard, actually setting up an Ableton/FL/whatever project with everything you might ever possibly need to play a bar mitzvah, two weddings, a bachelorette party, and a corporate holiday party all on consecutive days, would be like, a massive undertaking. Genuinely the time it saves you just laying out all that poo poo is probably worth more than $6k to anyone who is also talented enough to use the end product. Their time is definitely worth that much.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Flipperwaldt posted:

cum frugality enthusiast.

enthusiasts are not frugal, and frugals aren’t enthusiastic about it

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Seriously, watch that video on the last page of Thread Favorite Benn demonstrating the ridiculous amount of stuff the arranger keyboard can do with minimal prep from the user beyond learning which presets are good. Pretty sure he even says something about the market for these things being a large number of working musicians who never intersect with the synthfluencer sphere.

withak fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 13, 2023

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Laserjet 4P posted:

enthusiasts are not frugal, and frugals aren’t enthusiastic about it
Ok pal, meanwhile I'll be right over here enjoying both the functionality and the price of this pile of free plugins.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Juanito Moore is a hardware frugality enthusiast.
https://youtu.be/KefUo0Ao3UY?si=W9SqLi-D9hPQRurr

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I’m the tone deaf technology :cumpolice:

toadee posted:

Also are there even any like, premade pieces of windows software that come all set up to do the arranging stuff? Like a bunch (and uhh, watching that vid I mean A BUNCH)…

Band in a box has been around since the 90s, was originally just MIDI but has done audio since I think 01ish and then good audio much later. Does all the expected arranger stuff. But yeah def, workstations are :yum:

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.

Laserjet 4P posted:

...in any case.

I remember seeing this a while back and it kinda makes your point in a way. These keyboard are kinda uncool, but you can't deny you can get cooking on them and have fun playing music that makes people happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mBUZoSXd3o

rio
Mar 20, 2008

How easy is it to make robot fart sequences on those keyboards though

W424
Oct 21, 2010

rio posted:

How easy is it to make robot fart sequences on those keyboards though

You can't, they are for unsexy wank like chords and poo poo.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Speaking of robot farts looks like Pamela's Pro Workout is available on VCV rack now for $20 some new free ALM modules as well.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Infrastructure week(end)!

Workflow reinvented:

ES-9 sends audio to Ableton; Ableton sends A & B come back through ES-9 as stereo pairs and go to e520 Hyperion and error instruments white rabbit, respectively. All audio generation and processing is happening in modular land, and I can grab a bunch of stuff as independent channels now (really, every voice, if I want, and of course the ES stuff can go sideways with expanders). This deprecates a tascam DAC and my A&H Zed10FX, which I will probably sell. In rack, it deprecates my Cosmix Pro but I am apt to keep that to either be a sub mixer, or thing to use when not using Ableton/connected to PC.

Wiring unfucked as best I could:
Wall mounted power strips for AC and USB; wall mounted MIDI; wired everything that's "permanent" as neatly as possible and used velcro straps on a lot of stuff.

:hmmyes: but have I recorded anything lately :thunk:

Had some fun sending patterns from marbles (dice) into bArp, sending the CV through disting EX in chord mode and then playing with the bArp mixer to get some kinda angry nonsense that made me feel better about having had a fever for 6 days straight at the time:

https://soundcloud.com/suboptimal-synthesis/23-10-13-dice-chords-barp

I dig the lofi popcorn drums at the end. All audio is from bArp, it is also going through the behr pro 2500 filtamp, but nothing else. The audio path is Pure Behr :-P

also Fedex seems to have hosed me on a ~$2700 sax, and while I'm not especially concerned because the vendor is on top of it and has told me they'll get an instrument to me one way or another, I am 100% done ever using non-express Fedex service for anything. Just total madness, it went on a truck and vanished and no one seems to even be sure which truck because they use contractors for all this stuff and it's all incredibly badly coordinated.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You aren’t supposed to record, you are supposed to display the hardware tastefully.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

withak posted:

You aren’t supposed to record, you are supposed to display the hardware tastefully.

tasteful has left the building but also may never have even visited the precinct, 1/3 of my power needs are for RGB

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Whoahohoho. A matrix mixer is freaking awesome for creating a bunch of parallel fx loops, and makes it so you can cross feed them in weird feedback loops with the turn of a dial.
Hehehehe.
https://voca.ro/1mD2rJWgKkvL

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 15, 2023

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Red Means Recording released a video on the Knobula Pianophonic, and not only does it give me serious GAS for the thing, but it's probably the funniest video about synthesizers I've ever seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqMbQabTpIY

Synths and Synthesis: You sound like chiptunes and divorce.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Moooooooooooooooooooooog

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

RocketMermaid posted:

Red Means Recording released a video on the Knobula Pianophonic, and not only does it give me serious GAS for the thing, but it's probably the funniest video about synthesizers I've ever seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqMbQabTpIY

Synths and Synthesis: You sound like chiptunes and divorce.
I wasn't at all interested in the module, so breezed past the vid this morning. Now you tell me he's upped the comedy? Dangit!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That's a funny youtube.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I don't think I want the module but it seems more interesting to me than Poly Cinematic, which it's clearly related to. That one seemed like it didn't have much character besides "polyphony, woo!"

At least this is focused on piano sounds, which aren't a thing I personally care a lot about but if I ever do, this will get another look.

Overall I am not nuts about Eurorack stuff which is fundamentally midi centric. That was my read on Poly Cinematic, and I assume at a glance the same holds here. If I am using MIDI for polyphony I have a million options that aren't tiny rear end 3u modules.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on a Xaoc Sofia as well as a bunch of cables and a blank to completely fill out my rack until I go to remove/replace the Neutron. Now I have to decide if I going to keep my Rangoon- on one hand I have a hard time finding settings that sound nice in the mix with the Neutron, but when it hits the sweet spot with shorter percussive hits it's one of my favorite sounds.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

lol now that I watched the whole Pianophonic video, yea, I do want one. It's no E370 but it's cool.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

B33rChiller posted:

I wasn't at all interested in the module, so breezed past the vid this morning. Now you tell me he's upped the comedy? Dangit!

He's done some really funny (to me) product videos lately and they're worth watching even if it's gear I will never buy.

The time wizard vs the moon video is so loving out there.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Yeah. My fave is "Pssst, hey come here. Wanna try some Krell?"

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Overall I am not nuts about Eurorack stuff which is fundamentally midi centric. That was my read on Poly Cinematic, and I assume at a glance the same holds here. If I am using MIDI for polyphony I have a million options that aren't tiny rear end 3u modules.

True polyphony in euro is pretty hard to do without midi. Usually the best you can manage is a paraphonic voice or set of voices and that will typically require a lot of system resources to achieve it. If someone wants polyphony in-rack, midi is really the only way that makes sense.

Are there any oscillators/voices that have cv polyphony? I have a AR Chainsaw which has 3 v/Oct inputs but has a single stereo pair for output so it's paraphonic.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Doepfer has a set of modules designed for 4 voice polyphony and, since it’s Doepfer we’re talking about, it’s CV only. Then there’s Supercritical Synthesizers Demon Core + expander. Probably a handful of others too but polyphony is very much a niche thing.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
I had looked up the Supercritical Demon Core before posting but I wasn't aware of the expander. Looks like you still need midi for per voice gate control, unless I'm misunderstanding. Very cool module and its great they are trying to keep it as cv controllable as possible. I also just now realized what that module was named after and, uh, wow

The doepfer system is kind of what I was talking about needing a lot of system resources to accomplish polyphony in eurorack. It's four separate modules plus a midi to cv converter. It's a lot of HP and a lot of patching for four voices. It's understandable why companies making polyphonic modules like Knobula and Oxi just said gently caress it and made their modules midi controlled. Who doesn't have a keystep hanging around anyway?

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
You can do kinda-sorta gated with the Demon Core expander’s CVs. It can trigger the internal envelopes per-voice when the pitch CV changes but the module is much better indeed when used with midi. I played with one once at a synth meet and it sounded beefy.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Are there any oscillators/voices that have cv polyphony? I have a AR Chainsaw which has 3 v/Oct inputs but has a single stereo pair for output so it's paraphonic.

"A single stereo pair" for output doesn't mean it's paraphonic :confused: My polyphonic desktop synths likewise just have L/R outs.

If it only has a single envelope then yes it's paraphonic. I am not familiar with Chainsaw.

The doepfer as mentioned
E370
Flame 4Vox

Unsure if 4Vox has ADSRs built in, probably not, so, need a Quadrax or something if you want 4 envelopes. (E370 / E352 do not have VCA or ADSR on them).

the following semi modulars easily support CV polyphony, and this is just "things I own":
bArp
Taiga
(both are 3xVCO; neither has enough ADSRs to do true polyphony so you need a Quadrax or something if you want to go whole hog).

True polyphony in euro is pretty hard to do without midi. Usually the best you can manage is a paraphonic voice or set of voices and that will typically require a lot of system resources to achieve it.
Disting EX has a chord mode that can output up to 6CV + 1gate at once (or 4CV, 3gate, etc, mix and match)
Arpitecht Triad spits out triads

Building a polyphonic keybed input to CV setup is hard, but, yes I would just use MIDI for that.

Getting chords etc based on a single pitch input isn't hard or multi module, but the ones that do it are all Not Cheap (off the top of my head, the two I mentioned plus o_C in harrington mode).

Who doesn't have a keystep hanging around anyway?

I'm drowning in midi controllers but I am also drowning in desktop synths and VSTs; outside of some performance use cases, just jamming that poo poo into eurorack seems like more of a gimmick than not to me.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 16, 2023

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i don't know what it does and i don't have a case but i'm gonna buy the demon core just for the name

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
That was Metasonix’ entire business model until they grew out of their edgelord phase.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Bring back nord modular :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Cabbages and Kings posted:

"A single stereo pair" for output doesn't mean it's paraphonic :confused: My polyphonic desktop synths likewise just have L/R outs.

If it only has a single envelope then yes it's paraphonic. I am not familiar with Chainsaw.

The chainsaw is just an oscillator, it doesn't have internal vcas so, despite have inputs for 3 pitch cvs, you can only send it out to one filter/vca. Or, I suppose you could split the stereo pair to two filters/vcas but it's the same notes on each. You can play chords though, and that's cool.

On the other stuff, we're saying the same thing, pretty much. You can do polyphony but it requires a multi lane sequencer (or chord mode output on modules like the triad or harmonaig) going into multiple oscillators, vcas, envelopes and filters. Point is, its a fair number of modules that then can't be used for other purposes. I also understand the appeal of wanting to patch all of those modules into a big pile of colorful spaghetti. I've set up polyphonic patches on my system and it's pretty fun. It's just not super efficient so it's understandable that the purpose built polyphonic modules tend to use midi