Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

FMguru posted:

His comment stream is pretty LOL

And this post from him to r/deadbedrooms:

What a miserable loving mess this guy is. He'd almost deserve some sympathy and heartfelt advice to get to couples' therapy except for that whole being a cheating piece of poo poo thing.

Honestly, I have no sympathy for cheaters, not even if they regret it or whatever. Everyone always has options to not let things get to that point but they did, due to their own active decisions.

Kinda funny that he's sticking around with his "gf" for ... ??? sunk cost reasons? He doesn't even like her so he may as well cut her out of his life, but I guess he's too much of a wuss to be single either. Cheaters are cowards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's definitely sunk cost fallacy, with a dash of 'I'm miserable, but I deserve it'.

But I guess if girlfriend keeps being unsatisfied with both the lack of sex and not getting the big fancy house, she might do the work for him.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's definitely sunk cost fallacy, with a dash of 'I'm miserable, but I deserve it'.

But I guess if girlfriend keeps being unsatisfied with both the lack of sex and not getting the big fancy house, she might do the work for him.
Yeah, I'm just baffled at why the AP is sticking around. Her much older boyfriend is depressed, his dick doesn't work, he's ambivalent about actually leaving his wife, lives in a crummy studio, doesn't seem to own the big house he used to live in, and appears to openly loathe her. What, exactly, is in it for the very beautiful 28-year old?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for asking my coworker what would happen if I drank her breastmilk?

quote:

My (20/F) coworker Kate had a baby a little while ago, and in the breakroom during lunch yesterday she was talking about breastfeeding.

During the conversation I asked Kate, “Hey, so what would happen if I were to drink your breastmilk?”

Kate said, “Excuse me?”

I did realize that it sounded like a weird question when you didn’t hear the train of thought leading up to it, so I tried to explain myself and said, “I mean is it okay because your baby is related to you, but I’d get sick because I don’t have your same bacteria?”

Kate didn’t answer me, but our other coworker Lauren then said, “Well, it can’t be that that’s how it works because then wet nurses wouldn’t have been a thing.”

I’ve never heard of a wet nurse and asked Lauren, “What’s that?”

Lauren said, “It’s when you hire a nanny who had a baby at the same time as you so that she can also breastfeed your baby for you, but it’s like an old-timey thing.”

So at this point Kate said, “You guys are being d*cks,” and left.

I found out today that she’s telling people that me and Lauren were making fun of her about breastfeeding.

So I do understand why Kate would’ve been uncomfortable with the first way I asked the question because yes that was kind of a stupid way to say it, but I don’t really understand how she thinks I was making fun of her at all after that.

AITA?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for asking my coworker what would happen if I drank her breastmilk?

:dafuq:

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

A Moose posted:

My favorite thing about terrible people is that they whine about everyone else in their life and people go "sounds like you might be a narcissist" or "maybe you should get checked out for ADHD" or something like that, and they freak the gently caress out like "Why does EVERYONE keep telling me that??" and accidentally confirm to you that everyone else in their life agrees with you.

I wonder what life must be like for those people. Do they think there's some sort of conspiracy between everyone in the world? Do they think they have an invisible sign on their forehead that everyone else can see?
In my experience their mental maturity is arrested so they never developed Theory of Mind and have little-to-no mental boundaries between their ‘self’ and others. Other people are mirrors that exist to reflect back a constant stream of validation. They are fundamentally solipsists. They cannot conceive of other people having thoughts or different internal narratives. Like infants they cannot self-sooth; their feelings are forces of nature that need to be suffered & mitigated by other people.

Similarly:

Pookah posted:

I phrased that badly, I meant that it only became a bad thing to do when it happened to him, he never made the connection that it was also bad when he did it to her.
Arcade guy never gave a poo poo about his wife’s feelings. It only mattered when she did it to him because her feelings aren’t real to him, only his are. Telling that he also isn’t interested in custody.

My dad would pull poo poo like that all the time. :smith:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pookah posted:

Yeah, if the Mothers Day thing had been the result of simple thoughtlessness, he have apologised and immediately made it up to her.
The fact that even after she explained how disappointed she was, he still refused to see what the problem was, and could only grasp that it was a bad thing to do when she did exactly the same thing to him.

The vibe I get is that this being the "straw that broke the camel's back," is that it led to a moment like the end of The Usual Suspects, where all the little lovely things husband had done and acted clueless about just all came flooding back, leading her to get quite pissed and divorce-y. Can't say I blame her.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Clocks posted:

Honestly, I have no sympathy for cheaters, not even if they regret it or whatever. Everyone always has options to not let things get to that point but they did, due to their own active decisions.

His relationship was already dead (I don’t think you come back from 5 years of living together without sex unless both partners are asexual), all he needed was to have the decency to file for divorce before going after the new girl. Cowardice as you say, he wanted to have a fallback plan in place.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah he should have cut the relationship off, not detonated it. It was already dead.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Bfs boomer mother "it's the same thing" charcuterie board was a nightmare dish

quote:

It's a family wedding, very small backyard wedding. A few of us are meeting up discussing food options, the budget is incredibly minimal because the couple wants to spend more on buying a house and going on a honeymoon so the wedding itself is just a tiny budget celebration. We decided it's more feasible to bring a few dishes. It's all pretty easy until we get to discussing having some nibbles* (corrected spelling, autocorrect did me dirty!!) available before the ceremony the bride is dead set on having a nice charcuterie layout. Down to be clear my BF is the bride's brother. His best friend is married to a professional caterer who only does charcuteries and she is more than happy to set up for just the cost of the food and it would be a gorgeous delicious arrangement. Like this woman's been in magazines her work has been on TV shows and movies she's catered all kinds of events for celebrities. Having her offer this is a huge deal.

Boomer we'll have none of this. She's insulted that it's even brought up she is considering it rude that it wasn't offered for free as a wedding gift (she had already given them a wedding gift they preferred cash). Boomer tells everybody she will handle it herself it's the only way to ensure it gets done right. I have never seen this woman make a charcuterie let alone be around and enjoying a charcuterie so I was a little nervous but it's not my place it's not my wedding it's not my family.

This was a month and a half prior to the event. The day of the event she had to arrive early to set up the charcuterie. She lays out packets of sliced American cheese in individual film. Packets of Dollar store pepperoni. Two loaves of white bread. Two jars of mayonnaise. A gallon size bottle of white vinegar and a large unopened bottle of vegetable cooking oil. She just leaves them heaped up in the packaging on the table. People are already arriving, the bride is upstairs getting ready and so upset after being communicated what was downstairs and available she is shut in her room locked in upset. She answers she had sent multiple pictures and lists of ingredients to her mother who said that it was all handled. Boomer cannot understand what the problem is since she acknowledged what the ingredients were in a charcuterie she went out and got whatever was available and cheapest. She's outside the door screaming at the bride about how ungrateful and spoiled she is.

The professional chef and charcuterie arranger lady shows up and tries to make the best of it she has some of her employees run over with some things and she's coming up telling the bride what's going on what she's able to bring and how quickly it's going to get done and the Boomer is standing there appalled screaming at her inches from her face "IT'S THE SAME THING!!!" every time she says something.

Boomer comes down everybody's arriving and hanging out and mingling and she's wailing and crying talking about how much of a victim she is because everyone's acting like she ruined the entire day. To be clear most of everything she had set up on that table was already cleared off by the bride's instruction and they were bringing in other options some people even ran out last minute to grab options. And Boomer is sitting fanning herself making the entire day about her and her feelings and how rude everyone was being to her when all she was doing was trying to help counting on the fact that most of the people here did not see what she had set up. By the time a few people have gotten together and set up a nice charcuterie layout on the table she went into a full-blown tantrum yelling about how it's the exact same thing that she already did threatening to leave the party and complaining about how nothing she does is ever appreciated.

She did this the entire wedding. After the ceremony when tables were brought out and everybody was sitting together and toasting the bride and groom she grabs the microphone and goes on for 5 minutes. not once mentioning anything about the bride and groom or the wedding or their Union all she does is talk about herself and how underappreciated she is and all that she went through to try and make this day nice I swear I don't understand why people let her go on for so long. It starts turning into a rant about how spoiled she is and she wasn't raised that way and she doesn't understand what could make her turn into this on her wedding day of all days which was supposed to be so special FOR HER as HER MOTHER. She stomps off after her speech and then when the party continued and everybody kept toasting and eating and enjoying themselves she kept coming out huffing and puffing and tapping her foot because nobody went to go console her.

Later that night my BF gets a text with all of his siblings (6 of them) in a group chat from his mother about how they should never expect her to do anything for their weddings ever again that this was the last time and she doesn't mind coming and enjoying herself but she's not going to exert herself any further. Every single one of them ignored the text or didn't reply and it just infuriated her more every couple minutes the phone was pinging with another text. With her talking about how much she's done for each individual child. "Do you remember when I went to all of your games and brought juices, no more" "remember when I took you shopping last minute for a prom dress because you couldn't fit in the one we bought, never again" " I want you to remember all this when you all have children and expect me to take them out and spend time with them when I tell you no thank you I want you to remember this moment and know why they don't have a grandmother"

Here's what takes the cake though. The next morning when everybody's sobered up all the siblings had plans to come together for a brunch before the bride and groom get on their plane later that afternoon to go off on their honeymoon. We all meet at a cute posh little brunch spot and out of nowhere their mother pops in acting like nothing had ever happened coming and joining our table and trying to act like there was never an issue to begin with and then jumping right back into getting upset when everybody was like what the hell was all these texts about. She's like " OMG I'm trying to make things right can't you just leave that in the past I'm here now being polite!!"

The siblings say, when you want to make something right you're supposed to apologize acknowledge what you did and make changes not just sit around laughing and joining conversations pretending like nothing happened. And she stops the entire restaurant standing up yelling "I have nothing to apologize for I'm your mother! I came here to move past everything and you're holding it against me?! I'M YOUR MOTHER"

since i know you're dying to know, the autocorrect mentioned in the first paragraph was "nipples"

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for not approving of my Korean mother-in-law walking my daughter to school?

I'm embarrassed for this guy's family as well as all of Canada. Unbelievable that he thinks it's his duty to shield children from Asians in Canada of all places.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

That wedding sounds amazing. I'd love to be 4 pints down, lolling at MIL

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i know right? i wonder if you can hire her

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

White vinegar and vegetable oil, oh my good god.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Perfect time for an epidemic of coughing that somehow sounds like “bullshit”.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

* pouring out half a liter of vegetable oil over 2 slices of white bread *

"Wow, what a feast!"

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

This is a stupid question inspired by boomer MIL. Is there a term for when someone feels bad because they've done something that they know to be wrong, but because they think that they can't do any wrong they project that bad feeling onto other people? Is that what narcissism is? Or is it just stupidity/emotional immaturity. Feels like there should at least be a German word for it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
That sounds like a wedding I actually would have wanted to go to just because of how insane it would have been.

In my mind that mother looks like the crazy religious one from that swapping housewives show. "She's not a real Christian!" one.

AITA for refusing to babysit my nieces

quote:

When my (28f) sister May (30f) was twenty she got pregnant with her daughter Reece. My parents immediately rushed to coddle her and help her and her now husband Mike (33m) with everything. She continued college while my parents paid for everything she and her child would need. Mike worked with my dad as an intern at his company while also continuing going to college and this continued even after she gave birth. My parents would watch her kid until she or Mike came home and I always found that to be very unfair on my parents.

Well after college May and Mike got married and had two more kids (twins 4f) and they have great lives. They both work late hours some times so my mom or day will watch the kids until either one comes home. I again think this is unfair and absolutely hate how they are using my parents as free babysitters. It's uncool in my opinion.

Well my parents decided to visit my aunt in another state and left Tuesday. I was happy about this because this will force my sister to grow up and learn that she can't use our parents the way she does. Well that didn't happen because she asked me if I could watch the twins for an hour until Mike comes home while she takes Reece to the hospital after she hurt herself. I immediately told her no and told her to find someone else.

She was disappointed and then spent a half an hour on the phone asking everyone she knew if they could watch the twins. Everyone said what I said and she nearly broke down crying when she looks at me. She began begging and telling me she'll even pay me for watching them just this once. I again told her no and that they are her kids and she needs to finally grow up and actually watch them. She said nothing and quickly got the kids out and in the car before driving off.

An hour later I was called by my mom and she was telling me how disappointed she was in me and how family helps family. I said they do but I refuse to coddle May the way she and dad did, that May needs to grow up and watch her own kids. Mom said nothing before hanging up. So AITA for refusing to babysit?

The entire time I kept reading and going down and down and wondering when the coddling was happening and the spoiling and The parents not wanting to be around their kids at all and forcing them up on the grandparents and other relatives all the time, and I'm still waiting for that!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Olewithmilk posted:

This is a stupid question inspired by boomer MIL. Is there a term for when someone feels bad because they've done something that they know to be wrong, but because they think that they can't do any wrong they project that bad feeling onto other people? Is that what narcissism is? Or is it just stupidity/emotional immaturity. Feels like there should at least be a German word for it.

Isn't that 'projecting'?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Foo Diddley posted:

since i know you're dying to know, the autocorrect mentioned in the first paragraph was "nipples"

Totally irrelevent to any of this and absolutely being selfish, I hate when people call snacks "nibbles". I don't know why, it just really bothers me.

Olewithmilk posted:

Both work. Narcissists insist that they can't be wrong, so if something happens wrong because of the narcissist, it has to be someone else's fault. Narcissism has an inherent bit of emotional immaturity.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also if everyone is mad at you, it's not because you did something wrong, it's because they don't understand what happened or are just disrespectful

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
AITA for not sharing a family recipe with someone who doesn’t consider me family

quote:

My boyfriend Nick and I have been dating for 3 years, almost 4 now. Before this incident I got along great with his family. I was invited to spend holidays with them and we exchanged gifts on birthdays so I thought we were pretty close. Every year Nick’s family goes on a trip, this summer the trip was to somewhere i really wanted to go. I asked his mom, who was planning the trip, if I could tag along if I payed for myself. She said sorry no but this is a family trip and I wasn’t family yet. I told Nick and he said no one’s s/o was invited so I wasn’t the only one being excluded. I was still upset but dropped the subject.

It’s now fall and the weather is getting cooler. Nick’s family was coming over so I decided to make my family’s chili recipe to celebrate the cold weather. Nick and his family love my chili so I made sure there was enough for them to take home. Before Nick’s mom left she asked if I could share the recipe with her so she could make it for a work potluck. I told her sorry but this is a secret family recipe. She asked aren’t we already considered family. I replied according to you we aren’t. After that she when “oh ok” then left.

After everyone was gone Nick told me I was being cruel. I reminded him that his mother was the one who said I wasn’t family first and she can’t pick and choose when we are. He said that was a completely different situation and I was being petty. He left after that and has been cold to for the past couple of days. I don’t see how I’m in the wrong here, it’s ok for his mother to deny me something because we’re not family but when I do it I’m an rear end in a top hat?
No, see, it's totally different because it is my mother (who I care about) being disrespected, as opposed to you (who I don't really care about) being disrespected. See? TOTALLY different.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Neito posted:

Totally irrelevent to any of this and absolutely being selfish, I hate when people call snacks "nibbles". I don't know why, it just really bothers me.

there was the one OP who called appetizers "appies" and i'm still kind of pissed off about that

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
lol at "family secret" recipes anyways, as if making good chili is an impossible task

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
AITA for being honest?

quote:

I told this story to a friend of mine and he called me an AH. So, I figured I would take this to reddit to see what the internet has to say. But anyways, not too long ago I went on a date with this one woman. We went to a bar and got drinks and split some loaded nachos. The date was going super well, the conversation was flowing, she was laughing, I was having fun!

As the night went on, after having a few drinks, I had to go to the bathroom. So I excuse myself and go. After breaking the seal, I return back to the table and sit down. Suddenly, out of no where, my date asks me if I washed my hands because they looked dry. I tell her the truth that I didn't because I'm not trying to lie on a first date. She then told me that I was disgusting (despite her being the one to be thinking about what I do in the bathroom) and then proceeded to leave.

Personally, I don't think that I'm the AH. What a person does in the bathroom is between them and God. Plus, I don't like when my hands get wet. And it wasn't like I had any dirt or mud on them anyways. But I'm also not gonna lie to someone I want to date because I think a relationship needs to be built on trust.

The dude sprang his poo poo goblin status too early, you have to say that until after you've moved in together!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for refusing to babysit my nieces

The entire time I kept reading and going down and down and wondering when the coddling was happening and the spoiling and The parents not wanting to be around their kids at all and forcing them up on the grandparents and other relatives all the time, and I'm still waiting for that!

OP sucks and all, but the husband is refusing to leave work an hour early after his kid was injured badly enough to need to go to the hospital?

idiotsavant posted:

lol at "family secret" recipes anyways, as if making good chili is an impossible task

Could be absolutely terrible chili, OP should still withhold it on principle.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for being honest?

The dude sprang his poo poo goblin status too early, you have to say that until after you've moved in together!

Why did the friend call him an rear end in a top hat? He could be a perfectly polite, honest person who's also just too disgusting to have a physical relationship with.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 13, 2023

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Foo Diddley posted:

there was the one OP who called appetizers "appies" and i'm still kind of pissed off about that

Appies and nappies, bro! Dirty dangles!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Foo Diddley posted:

Would you prefer snoofin’ pamps?

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Brilliant. 2 thread related nightmares brought back. That's a real Friday treat.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Foo Diddley posted:

loving :lol: at every person at this wedding refusing to give the mom she so desperately craved :allears:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for being honest?

quote:

What a person does in the bathroom is between them and God

Not sure ol' next-to-cleanliness will take kindly to your pisshands there, buddy

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for being honest?

Idiot fuckface just added this edit.

quote:

EDIT: THIS POST IS NOT ABOUT WHETHER I SHOULD WASH MY HANDS OR NOT, THIS POST IS ABOUT WHETHER I AM AN AH FOR TELLING THE TRUTH. PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC.

STOP YELLING AT ME ABOUT MY PISS AND poo poo HANDS :qq:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for being honest?

R/relationships: what a person does in the bathroom is between them and God

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

edogawa rando posted:

He has a point though, he wasn't being an rear end in a top hat. He's gross, the date was right to move on, but then he didn't seem to hold it against her? Maybe one day he will find someone who's cool with him getting crotch funk over shared hand-held food.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

When sharing a dish that you eat with your hands with his date!

cmon

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
She could SEE that his hands weren't clean!? How lovely were his hands?!

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Cowslips Warren posted:

Only once have I met a chill priest (is that the term?). He was a Catholic priest in the full regalia, in my copy store, was always super polite and nice and never mentioned religion, and one night some teens wanted to gently caress with him, so they asked if he could bless them of their sins. I think they were as surprised as I was when he did the full loving blessing in Latin. Dude had a voice like James Earl Jones.

How do I tell my boyfriend I don’t feel comfortable sleeping over at his house?

Imagine what he must do for his own bathing.

So this guy lives in a mound of bugs and tries to correct for that by spraying Raid on her food. She feels guilty for not wanting to spend the night.

Simultaneously, and on the same planet, there is a large subculture of men who spend all day complaining that women have impossibly high standards.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Midnight Voyager posted:

She could SEE that his hands weren't clean!? How lovely were his hands?!

She saw that they were dry. Which is weirder because who leaves a bathroom with wet hands whether they washed them or not?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

edogawa rando posted:

motherfucker is arguing against germ theory in the comments, i think he's a lost cause

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

edogawa rando posted:

I don't get why he couldn't just say he washed AND DRIED his hands in the bathroom? Like are people always walking out of bathrooms with wet hands? I mean yeah, he should be washing his hands, but..... people are weird.