Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I can't imagine moving off of proxmox now. The ability to have a cluster in it and if you get a new server just adding it to the cluster, shutting down your existing VMs and one click moving them over to the new server and shutting down the original server is just such a powerful migration tool.

I've not seen how scale handles vm backups but Proxmox works great for that too and it's been trivial for me to roll back a VM to a previous state if needed.
Yeah, I had some co-workers ask about my home setup and about how to get into homelabbing and I told them that if I had to do it all over again, at this point I'd probably just buy a couple of new mini-pc's and do a Proxmox cluster instead of trawling ebay or marketplace for used enterprise stuff. Add a disk shelf if you want NAS functionality, or poo poo, just 3d print a frame for some hard drives. Quieter, more power efficient, and more robust for less than you'd probably spend on a single R730.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

I can't imagine moving off of proxmox now. The ability to have a cluster in it and if you get a new server just adding it to the cluster, shutting down your existing VMs and one click moving them over to the new server and shutting down the original server is just such a powerful migration tool.

I've not seen how scale handles vm backups but Proxmox works great for that too and it's been trivial for me to roll back a VM to a previous state if needed.

Why it'd be easier for me:

1) I use docker more than VMs.
2) When I don't use docker it's likely an LXC
3) One node in the cluster has all the storage so migration doesn't make much since.

If they got to a point where they supported containers and you could migrate a container we'd be talking differently. But at that point it's why I am interested in Scale anyway if i was running things on k3s and able to move the pod.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Speaking of proxmox: After 4 years on it, I moved to VMWare ESXi (free version) on my ebay bought decade-old enterprise machine. The moving process was a PITA, but after 4 months on it I can say that ESXi feels quite a bit faster than proxmox. The VMs feel more responsive. My only regret is that I didn't do this earlier.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

:cripes:

"feel more responsive"?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Might be the remote desktop protocol in use. At work I use both RDP and Citrix Desktop to access VMs on large the same infrastructure, and Citrix is way snappier than RDP, if a lot of things change on screen. Like scrolling a browser.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I ... don't even.

But if you're doing VDI, holy poo poo get something hardware-accelerated :eng101:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Don't get me started on our IT team.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Please do go on about your IT team.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Don't get me started on our IT team :negative:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Hughlander posted:

Why it'd be easier for me:

1) I use docker more than VMs.
2) When I don't use docker it's likely an LXC
3) One node in the cluster has all the storage so migration doesn't make much since.

If they got to a point where they supported containers and you could migrate a container we'd be talking differently. But at that point it's why I am interested in Scale anyway if i was running things on k3s and able to move the pod.

Personally, I have a vm that I have docker or podman installed on and I do the hosting in those docker/podman containers. It's still the same container workflow, but you get the benefits of easily backing up the whole vm and individual containers which gives you a ton of flexibility on how you can restore stuff if (when) it goes wrong. A container blows up after you pull a new image and the config is hosed? Roll back just that container with your backup solution. You do a major version upgrade on the docker host and it fucks up the containerd engine? Roll that back from the VM interface in proxmox. You get new hardware because your server is old or failing? Just add it as a member of the proxmox cluster and migrate the vm's over to it and start them back up. Want to experiment with a service or a way to architecture your homelab? spin up some vm's with Proxmox and play around and nuke them if they don't serve your purpose.

I'm never going back to having the server run on the bare metal again.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

Personally, I have a vm that I have docker or podman installed on and I do the hosting in those docker/podman containers. It's still the same container workflow, but you get the benefits of easily backing up the whole vm and individual containers which gives you a ton of flexibility on how you can restore stuff if (when) it goes wrong. A container blows up after you pull a new image and the config is hosed? Roll back just that container with your backup solution. You do a major version upgrade on the docker host and it fucks up the containerd engine? Roll that back from the VM interface in proxmox. You get new hardware because your server is old or failing? Just add it as a member of the proxmox cluster and migrate the vm's over to it and start them back up. Want to experiment with a service or a way to architecture your homelab? spin up some vm's with Proxmox and play around and nuke them if they don't serve your purpose.

I tried this for my sonarr+sabnzbd set up but I had a lot of trouble with permissions errors. I had truenas core, hosting both the data and a VM running Fedora server, and then I tried to run the linuxcontainer.io images in podman.

I'm sure I could have figured it out eventually, but I gave up because there's so many layers that could be configured wrong: ZFS permissions, NFS share permissions, NFS mount permissions, permissions inside the container. A lot of effort.

Now I'm using Scale and while I don't love TrueCharts, at least it wasn't that hard to set it up

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

TrueCharts can gently caress off, at least the latest Bluefin has pretty decent app stuff integrated fairly well.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Wibla posted:

:cripes:

"feel more responsive"?

Yes. One of the slowest pieces of poo poo applications ever created is gitlab. Because we all love ruby, gently caress your machine. In proxmox, the same VM (same underlying hardware, same host hardware), took 10 seconds to open the first page (projects list). Under ESXi, it opens in 2-3 seconds. Still slower than molasses, but hey.
Build machines: Windows build VM now can build a project of mine, fully, with all the dependencies (one of which is Qt, so a big one), in under 5 hours. It was taking 8+ hours before. Linux build machines were taking 2+ hours before, they're done in 30 minutes now.
Just plain SSH on a lightly loaded VM, in proxmox, for some commands (htop for example) would take over a second to start up. Now it's up instantly. Same machine.

Basically, VMs with whatever services/web applications are running on them. They just feel more responsive, the applications generate the pages faster. They do the work they need to do faster. Under proxmox I had gitlab and 2 build machines on SSDs, it made no difference. I needed the space (mainly for migration) and now the entirety of ESXi VMs are just on spinning disks. And they're still faster.

You thought it was about virtual desktops? Jfc.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Wibla posted:

I ... don't even.

But if you're doing VDI, holy poo poo get something hardware-accelerated :eng101:

Citrix HDX/VMware Blast/Teradici PCoIP pretty much blow away RDP for both end user experience and resource/bandwidth consumption.

Task workers are fine using without any vGPU behind them, but as soon as media or 3d rendering comes into the picture, you need that hardware acceleration.

Edit: My drives got delivered today. You are gonna love the outcome.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Volguus posted:

You thought it was about virtual desktops? Jfc.

No, that was in response to another poster.

That's an interesting performance difference, though.

Moey posted:

Edit: My drives got delivered today. You are gonna love the outcome.

Oh dear, do I even want to know?

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

The 45drives homelab chassis supposedly releases this week.

Seems expensive? I dunno I can't tell anymore

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

Why the gently caress does it have 16GB of memory and room for 45 disks?
Sheer incompetence.

Also, chassis+backlanes for $800 is a rip-off.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Why the gently caress does it have 16GB of memory and room for 45 disks?
Sheer incompetence.

Also, chassis+backlanes for $800 is a rip-off.

It only has room for 15 disks :(

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Having a quick look at newegg f or pricing

1tb kingston nv2 $56
xeon bronze 3204 $269
cpu cooler about $50
A motherboard that supports that $440 (supermicro x11 of some sort, but probably a custom board)
2x 8gb rdimms $32 each = 64
corsair rm750e $100

$978 plus an hba

not too bad considering the pricing implies that it's $1200

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

I get that, counterpoint to me is I'm not committing the memory to the VM. Maybe memory ballooning has come a long way, and I should re-evaluate it. I do use proxmox, I do have a cluster as well. But I get most of what your saying just by using zfs and zfs volumes. I do use VMs, but usually for places where they're required or strongly preferrably like passing hardware through.

Home Assistant with USB radios - VM
Geforce RTX 3080 to Windows 11 - VM
The 98 docker containers that make up my home lab? Bare metal on a 128GB proxmox host. (Which also passes through a Quadro to a plex container, a stable diffusion container, and I think a whisper container.)

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Ditching my insane VM cluster setup at home for a single bare metal server was a great decision for my sanity and I am thankful every day i don't have to janitor it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Wibla posted:

TrueCharts can gently caress off, at least the latest Bluefin has pretty decent app stuff integrated fairly well.
I like how iX ignores their existence nowadays. Their own app repo has a bunch of weird holes, tho. Like a Minecraft chart, but no MariaDB one. Like what the gently caress.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Annath posted:

Aloha!

So, my 8TB external drive has over 6 years of uptime, and CrystalDiskInfo is giving it a yellow warning light for "current pending sector count" and "uncorrectable sector count", so I am going to be buying a new drive to replace it.

The new drive I'm looking at is:

Seagate Expansion 10TB External Hard Drive HDD - USB 3.0

So, questions:

1. Good drive?

2. What's the most efficient way to move ~7.5TB of data, mostly media files, from the old drive to the new one?

I went ahead and bought the drive, it should arrive today.

Is there a tool/program that would be good to use to move a large amount of data? I'm thinking something that could handle it if the source drive craps out during the transfer - the drive hasn't died yet, but I've noticed that it sometimes starts making GBS threads itself if being written to too quickly.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Anything with block-level copying, so that it minimizes the amount of head seeking. Disk cloning tools like Macrium Reflect, which is one of the first things typically cited. The trial version is relatively full featured (cloned my 1TB SSD to a 2TB one with the trial).

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anything with block-level copying, so that it minimizes the amount of head seeking. Disk cloning tools like Macrium Reflect, which is one of the first things typically cited. The trial version is relatively full featured (cloned my 1TB SSD to a 2TB one with the trial).

I'll check it out. I'm copying 8TB to 12TB.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Is there a good TrueNAS setup guide for newbies? I would like to be able to have things like Plex, 'arrs, etc. have access to the data pool for saving. In addition, I'd like to be able to access the same pool while using Windows via SMB. From some brief searching, it looks like I can do it by disabling Enable Host Path Safety Checks but I would prefer not to muck around in that. Maybe I'm thinking about this the wrong way.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

calandryll posted:

Is there a good TrueNAS setup guide for newbies? I would like to be able to have things like Plex, 'arrs, etc. have access to the data pool for saving. In addition, I'd like to be able to access the same pool while using Windows via SMB. From some brief searching, it looks like I can do it by disabling Enable Host Path Safety Checks but I would prefer not to muck around in that. Maybe I'm thinking about this the wrong way.

It’s set for proxmox not truenas but. https://perfectmediaserver.com

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

xeon bronze 3204 $269
cpu cooler about $50
A motherboard that supports that $440 (supermicro x11 of some sort, but probably a custom board)

Cascade Lake CPUs like that are four years old at this point - you can get the 3204 on eBay for $40 each. $150 will get you a 4210 with four more cores, more clock speed, and DDR-2400 instead of 2133, in the same 85W TDP. You're boned on the motherboard though since LGA3647 ATX boards are both rare and still in demand.

Mr. Crow posted:

Ditching my insane VM cluster setup at home for a single bare metal server was a great decision for my sanity and I am thankful every day i don't have to janitor it.

Yeah. As nice as some aspects of virtualization are, docker gives me enough separation that I no longer need to worry about one app gone to poo poo making a mess of the whole server, while not requiring me to rely on oversubscribing the hell out of RAM.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Wibla posted:

Oh dear, do I even want to know?

Nope.

But it's gonna take a wee bit, gotta stress test these before we move forward.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Cascade Lake CPUs like that are four years old at this point - you can get the 3204 on eBay for $40 each. $150 will get you a 4210 with four more cores, more clock speed, and DDR-2400 instead of 2133, in the same 85W TDP. You're boned on the motherboard though since LGA3647 ATX boards are both rare and still in demand.

Yeah. As nice as some aspects of virtualization are, docker gives me enough separation that I no longer need to worry about one app gone to poo poo making a mess of the whole server, while not requiring me to rely on oversubscribing the hell out of RAM.

Yes, but this is also a retail product so it's not like they're going onto ebay to buy these things. I'm looking at retail prices, but it's likely that 45drives is getting a discount of some sort.

You can also buy ES xeon platinum's for like a hundred bucks, but that's not what is going on here

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

I think a lot of homelab stuff is expensed back to employers and runs NFR licensing that people get for being partners, and 2k is cheaper than a Dell tower. Though I'm not really sure why "homelab" needs a bunch of spinning rust, presumably it's because they don't want to call it "torrent box" or whatever.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Oct 15, 2023

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

Yes, but this is also a retail product so it's not like they're going onto ebay to buy these things. I'm looking at retail prices, but it's likely that 45drives is getting a discount of some sort.

You can also buy ES xeon platinum's for like a hundred bucks, but that's not what is going on here

They aren't, but you can if you buy the box without them preloading the CPU, motherboard, and RAM. That's my point, it looks like in that screenshot they're offering it as a chassis/backplane and charging a steep premium to load it with old components.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Combat Pretzel posted:

So, I tried Macrium Reflect, but it crashed almost immediately when I started cloning the drive with "error code 0".

So, I just set up TeraCopy, and left it running overnight.

It has another 6 hours to go, but seems to be running without issue. :shrug:

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I've been putting off setting up offsite backups for too long, so wanted to get some recommendations before I spend a ton of time digging in.

I've got a 10 TB Synology NAS and two main computers to back up - I don't need full backups necessarily, so folder selection is important. I'd like something reasonably simple that I don't have to fiddle with much and that isn't going to be a pain to run. Data recovery speed isn't particularly important to me, this is mostly just a peace of mind setup so a fire doesn't wipe out all of my poo poo. I am reasonably technically savvy, but that tends to go hand in hand with fiddly bullshit, which I'd really like to avoid if possible.

The only weird thing I can think of is that it would be nice to be able to store something on the same service that isn't necessarily an incremental backup; for example, if I wanted to push up a bunch of old game saves but not have them locally. This is sort of a different mode to most backup setups I've seen.

I'd prefer something reasonably cheap but I can afford to pay more for a better product.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Trapick posted:

My NAS died last night :smithcloud:

I powered off, unplugged, blew out dust, moved it ~5 feet, plugged in, tried to power on...nothing. Really hoping it's the PSU, I did the paper clip/jumper test and the fan didn't start, so here's hoping.
Indeed it was the power supply! After a warranty replacement I'm back up and running, not doing great on availability this year I guess. There's some kind of weirdness with the system clock, guess I need to look into NTP and stuff now, but it's running at least.

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Trapick posted:

Indeed it was the power supply! After a warranty replacement I'm back up and running, not doing great on availability this year I guess. There's some kind of weirdness with the system clock, guess I need to look into NTP and stuff now, but it's running at least.

If the motherboard has been around for a few years it could be the CMOS battery going bad. CR2032 from any store should be fine.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

With Cobia release I've finally enabled BRT. It's kinda nice to get some snapshot cloning like functionality without resorting to full blown snapshots. Waiting for someone to write a manual dedup tool via file checksum matching and copying.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

With Cobia release I've finally enabled BRT. It's kinda nice to get some snapshot cloning like functionality without resorting to full blown snapshots. Waiting for someone to write a manual dedup tool via file checksum matching and copying.
Klara are working on a variant of the dedup sketch that Ahrens made on a napkin, which should not just permit a HUGE speed-up, but also use of dedicated (mirrored) NVMe devices, so as to not take up main memory that can be used for caching.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion

Falcon2001 posted:

I've been putting off setting up offsite backups for too long, so wanted to get some recommendations before I spend a ton of time digging in.

I've got a 10 TB Synology NAS and two main computers to back up - I don't need full backups necessarily, so folder selection is important. I'd like something reasonably simple that I don't have to fiddle with much and that isn't going to be a pain to run. Data recovery speed isn't particularly important to me, this is mostly just a peace of mind setup so a fire doesn't wipe out all of my poo poo. I am reasonably technically savvy, but that tends to go hand in hand with fiddly bullshit, which I'd really like to avoid if possible.

The only weird thing I can think of is that it would be nice to be able to store something on the same service that isn't necessarily an incremental backup; for example, if I wanted to push up a bunch of old game saves but not have them locally. This is sort of a different mode to most backup setups I've seen.

I'd prefer something reasonably cheap but I can afford to pay more for a better product.

I like working with Veeam, and community edition is free for up to 10 workloads (not 100% sure what that means, sorry) but it may require more fiddly bullshit than you are willing to put up with.

I have used it to back up some game servers I hosted in my basement and it has been able to reliably roll back the world after poo poo broke, for what it's worth.

If you are also shopping for cloud storage backblaze has been good to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Falcon2001 posted:

I went with using two large encrypted drives that I keep offsite in a storage unit and rotate whenever I think about it. I don't generate a lot of data outside of pictures and none of it is mission critical. I also have Google Drive storage which I have my pictures in as well. So being a month or two behind isn't a huge deal to me. My pictures are also sent to b2 storage but that's overkill. You could sync your photos to a computer and use the regular Backblaze for a PC, 10 TB isn't that much data.