Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

Re-watched Unicorn and re-read thoughts on it from this thread. It was the first Gundam series I'd seen other than the MSG trilogy a few years ago. Picked it by looking at a image of every protags Gundam and deciding it looked the coolest. Coming back to it, it's probably still my favorite so far. I didn't appreciate the music the first time through but after listing to the soundtracks on their own (a lot) I realized how much it impacted my investment in what was happening.

Other than the indifference to Banagher this is pretty much exactly how I feel about the series as well. I'm also not super invested in the older canon so didn't notice the tweaks to the continuity the first time through, and it didn't bother me the second time.

With this rewatch I think I've made it through every series I was actively interested in watching. Any recommendations what to check out next? I have seen MSG trilogy movies, Z, ZZ, CCA, 0080, 08 MS, Unicorn, Origin, IBO, and G Witch. Unicorn, IBO, G Witch, 08 MS, and MSG top 5.

Watch the original series of Build Fighters. It's a superb sports action-comedy, and you have more than enough Gundam grounding to get all the in-jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I love how SEED came up with no less than two separate nonsense GUNDAM acronyms. If you wanted to get :goonsay:, technically either the G-Project Units, OR the Freedom and Justice are Gundams in the show, but not both. Because the first are GUNDAM's and the latter are GUNDAM's.

It’s more than two, I won’t stand for this “Gigantic Unilateral Numerous Dominating AMmunition fortress” erasure.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
idk if it's been posted yet but Engage is coming to western app stores

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

The release date is news at least.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Ojjeorago posted:

It’s more than two, I won’t stand for this “Gigantic Unilateral Numerous Dominating AMmunition fortress” erasure.

Someone should be in prison for this.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Hunter Noventa posted:

The release date is news at least.

Ah, I haven't been keeping up so it seemed like sudden news to me. If anyone knows: how is the game, anyway? I've seen a few cool animations from it, but is the gameplay anything?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Ah, I haven't been keeping up so it seemed like sudden news to me. If anyone knows: how is the game, anyway? I've seen a few cool animations from it, but is the gameplay anything?

Looks like build a team, issue orders, watch it play out. So partially an autobattler, but with a bit more depth?

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Also maybe get someone to direct it who's actually directed anime and not the CEO of the game company

And a better character designer. And a better excuse for the alien looking mobile suits. And

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Honestly my best advice for someone who's seen a certain amount of Gundam is to stop watching Gundam and to go watch another mecha Anime series that isn't Gundam and isn't Evangelion (and sure as gently caress isn't Gen:LOCK Season 2).

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

MACROSSSSSSSSSSSS

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I should really get back to Geass and Frontier

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Fivemarks posted:

Honestly my best advice for someone who's seen a certain amount of Gundam is to stop watching Gundam and to go watch another mecha Anime series that isn't Gundam and isn't Evangelion (and sure as gently caress isn't Gen:LOCK Season 2).

Exactly, it's the perfect time for Voltes V.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Fivemarks posted:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Fivemarks posted:

Big O, showtime!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Gaogaiger which you can watch on CR now!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Votoms, Nadesico, and Rahxephon are the GOATs

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Back to Gundam X, Human Touch jumpscares me every time. It's so fuckin' pitch perfect for the era, something that would definitely be playing behind a list of songs on some infomercial compilation CD.

E: Even the soundtrack album art has that vibe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_O8-qBq0w4

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 13, 2023

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Absolutely criminal that they interrupt it with episode previews and switch to a Japanese cover. It's Magic-tier and should've been respected as such.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Gaius Marius posted:

Votoms, Nadesico, and Rahxephon are the GOATs

I actually wouldn't recommend Nadesico to anyone. I don't think its quite that good, and is a bit too meanspirited with its comedy.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

:emptyquote:

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Gaogaiger which you can watch on CR now!

Funny thing, I was watching a... copy... of GGG recently and working my way through it, and you can tell this was made before the Porygon controversy. I don't have any history with seizures or any of the other strobe warning qualifiers, but the strobe effects the use in GGG make me feel physically ill in an entirely literal way such that I need to avert my eyes from the screen whenever they come up.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 13, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fivemarks posted:

I actually wouldn't recommend Nadesico to anyone. I don't think its quite that good, and is a bit too meanspirited with its comedy.

I don't feel it's meanspirited at all. How do you mean

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't feel it's meanspirited at all. How do you mean

Nadesico has a few jokes which are pretty mean spirited. I know Gai's entire thing sticks in people's craw, I've heard more than a few people point to that at the moment they lost interest in the series.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

Nadesico has a few jokes which are pretty mean spirited. I know Gai's entire thing sticks in people's craw, I've heard more than a few people point to that at the moment they lost interest in the series.

There's also a bunch of jokes that are just kind of "Everyone is a piece of poo poo to Akito for no reason?"

I dunno maybe its just me, but Nadesico feels like one of those shows that goes "THIS IS THE REAL WORLD, EVERYONE IS AN rear end in a top hat, DEAL WITH IT" and I just don't care for that. Like nBSG, or The Expanse.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Warmachine posted:

Funny thing, I was watching a... copy... of GGG recently and working my way through it, and you can tell this was made before the Porygon controversy. I don't have any history with seizures or any of the other strobe warning qualifiers, but the strobe effects the use in GGG make me feel physically ill in an entirely literal way such that I need to avert my eyes from the screen whenever they come up.

They also notably cut back on them partway through the show, likely as they realized 'oh crap'.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I love nadesco. It’s 90s mecha anime, semi silly, super serious. fits my vibe.

But if you think the show is mean spirited, the MOVIE is comically so.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hunter Noventa posted:

They also notably cut back on them partway through the show, likely as they realized 'oh crap'.

In all likelihood you can blame that on a certain Pokemon episode that premiered in December of that year

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh no yes, Gaogaigar is extremely bad about the flashing and it's a drat shame Sunrise didn't allow Discotek to do anything about it for their BD

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

I love nadesco. It’s 90s mecha anime, semi silly, super serious. fits my vibe.

But if you think the show is mean spirited, the MOVIE is comically so.

Yeah that's how I'm feeling I never thought the show was too down on nobody and nobody ever goes harder at Akito then my buddies would at me.

Burns
May 10, 2008

https://youtu.be/xsXy_cydPSg?si=LeqFRwgyLsIii-WD

This channel has a whole bunch of these for most gundam series. I posted the most important one, imo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Burns posted:

https://youtu.be/xsXy_cydPSg?si=LeqFRwgyLsIii-WD

This channel has a whole bunch of these for most gundam series. I posted the most important one, imo.

Nobody wants to see that AI trash

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I wouldn't call Nadesico meanspirited on the whole though I think it ultimately doesn't handle Yurika that well, with the ending in particular being a big sour note for me on that front.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Nobody wants to see that AI trash

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress ai

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/zeonicscans/status/1712945758641766610?s=20

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
That looks loving sick.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
Austin Walker once said (iirc) that Dan Ryckert might be interested in Armored Trooper VOTOMS. Does that mean it’s bad?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

Austin Walker once said (iirc) that Dan Ryckert might be interested in Armored Trooper VOTOMS. Does that mean it’s bad?
i don't understand the streamer inside baseball. votoms is good

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

Technically none of them are Gundams! Gundams aren't actually a thing in the CE despite the marketing. It's a name Kira (and at the same time Lowe) came up with based off the OS and nobody else actually uses that unless they heard it from them.

It is kind of interesting that the show that was a revival of the franchise went with Gundam quite literally not being a thing even at a conceptual level in it's world, but then followed that with an extremely hard pivot in the other direction that's mostly stayed in force as the status quo ever since. Makes the Seed movie a pretty big outlier.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

I think it's more because VOTOMs goes for a different feel than most mech anime. It's still about a teenager with supernatural powers getting involved in a massive war between two factions of giant robot piloting assholes, but it goes for a grittier, more hard boiled aesthetic than most. The comic relief characters are (sympathetic) war profiteers, the hero is a veteran soldier with a sordid past rather than a wide eyed civilian, the mechs are disposable tin cans full of C4 rather than super-advanced prototypes, and the wider war is portrayed as a senseless waste of human life run by interchangeable vultures whose real plans have nothing to do with the causes they claim to be fighting for. There's even an arc set in Space Vietnam, complete with riverboat ride right out of Apocalypse Now.

I wasn't too in love with it, myself, (protagonist is too passive most of the time, female lead is terrible, fights aren't as creative as I'd hoped for, arcs spend a bit too much time faffing about, the coincidences get excessive even if there's an explanation at the end), but it's interesting enough that I'd recommend checking it out if it sounds your speed.

Now, the spin-off "Armored Hunter Mellowlink"? That, I highly recommend. Basically, a guy hunts down mechs using a massive old anti-tank rifle to avenge himself on the people who betrayed and killed his squad during the war. 12 episodes, in and out, with a clear goal, some great setpieces, and a lot of people being killed via pile-bunker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Took a look at ZZ and drat this is a big claim