Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Larryb posted:

Apparently the game is a decent length at least (average playtime appears to be around 24 hours)

I'm not happy to pay $60 for a longer game from the New Yoshi's Island people, but I am happy to pay $60 for a new Tee Lopes OST. Give and take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Heran Bago posted:

I'm not happy to pay $60 for a longer game from the New Yoshi's Island people, but I am happy to pay $60 for a new Tee Lopes OST. Give and take.

It’s one of Arzest’s better games from what I hear at least

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It’s basically average fare but at least not in the bland, half-baked way Forces turned out.

Tempted to wait on a sale since Spider-Man and Mario Wonder are also this month.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I got the Superstars digital deluxe off CDKeys for £40, the regular version is a bit cheaper.

Assuming you're buying it on PC, of course.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also apparently Trip becomes playable after beating the game and has her own unique story mode

https://www.cbr.com/review-sonic-superstars-old-school-sonic-is-the-gold-standard/

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

80$ Canadian, yeesh. Was expecting maybe 60$.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Larryb posted:

Also apparently Trip becomes playable after beating the game and has her own unique story mode

https://www.cbr.com/review-sonic-superstars-old-school-sonic-is-the-gold-standard/

Very funny the image they chose for that review is just a spoiler of Tipp without her helmet.

I mean, not earth-shattering stuff, but still funny

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Larryb posted:

It’s one of Arzest’s better games from what I hear at least

I think it probably helps that it's based on the physics engine of the side-scrolling classic games, which is a solid enough foundation for a 3rd party developer to work with.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

It’s bullshit Amy doesn’t get a Super Form even by the bullshit of the official bullshit

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Trying posted:

It’s bullshit Amy doesn’t get a Super Form even by the bullshit of the official bullshit

Technically she got one in Origins (though she just glowed like Tails, Knuckles, Mighty, and Ray did). But yeah, giving everyone who isn’t Sonic the Heroes treatment in this game kind of sucks to be honest

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Honestly at this point I kinda have to respect SEGA's absolute refusal to even allow for the potential for Super Sonic to be diluted or power crept in even the slightest.

Sonic is the only one who can do it and it's a single transformation. If it goes beyond that it has to be written out in that game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MJeff posted:

Honestly at this point I kinda have to respect SEGA's absolute refusal to even allow for the potential for Super Sonic to be diluted or power crept in even the slightest.

Sonic is the only one who can do it and it's a single transformation. If it goes beyond that it has to be written out in that game.

Shadow and Blaze seem to be the only exceptions to that rule (though the latter’s form is officially called “Burning Blaze”)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Shadow and Silver haven't transformed in almost 20 years. Once the idea of making full fledged spinoff serieses for Shadow and Silver died with 06's reception, so did the idea of pushing Shadow and Silver as equal to Sonic. Shadow has been SEVERELY down cycled in importance relatively to the period of his debut to 06 where he was basically the deuteragonist of the series. Shadow was basically the emotional heart of the series for five years and since then he's just been Sonic's grumpy rival.

Blaze gets to have her own thing but yeah, it's BURNING Blaze with the SOL Emeralds. And despite her essentially equal billing with Sonic when she does show up, just like Shadow, that hasn't happened in almost 20 years.

I guess it's kind of a side effect of how, after the jump to 3D, SEGA was more willing to experiment with a larger cast and even try to have guys be as important as Sonic, have their own stories independent of Sonic and even decisively defeat Sonic, multiple times in a game, even! Then after 06 there was a very deliberate refocusing on Sonic as the nucleus of the series. Although the desire to not dilute Super Sonic existed before that, see the dumb gold bubbles from Heroes that started the whole thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair without his ability to turn golden and super Sonic basically has fuckin' nothing on his friends. All of them are way better than he is. Gotta keep the poor guy with something considering Knuckles, Tails and Amy can all run almost as fast as he can while also being a super genius who can fly, a super-powerful fistfighter who can burrow, climb and glide and a literal psychic with a super hammer.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair without his ability to turn golden and super Sonic basically has fuckin' nothing on his friends. All of them are way better than he is. Gotta keep the poor guy with something considering Knuckles, Tails and Amy can all run almost as fast as he can while also being a super genius who can fly, a super-powerful fistfighter who can burrow, climb and glide and a literal psychic with a super hammer.

the gently caress. tails? tails?! tails the eternally bitchmade?!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Any time stuff like that pops up I just assume it's part of that weird Ken Penders lawsuit thing. Maybe I'm just out of the loop but I think none of the games have been related to the comics at all? I feel like that doesn't help things since there's no landmarks, areas, reoccurring characters or anything to really familiarize yourself with game to game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

True, not counting the mobile runner games Shadow hasn’t transformed since 06 and Blaze since Rush Adventure (hell, Silver only transformed once which is why I left him off that list). Even just recently Tails, Amy, and Knuckles were only in the DLC chapter for Frontiers for a fraction of the time Sonic was (the 2D games still feel a bit more equal but even there only Sonic gets the fancy Super form)

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Removing/backgrounding the other characters was the wrong lesson to take from 06. Kids love the side characters. It's just that the ones in 06 happened to be bad. And even then, I'd imagine any children who played that game probably still love Silver or Elise.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

INSTA SHIELD?! *punches wall* DROP DASH??

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Any time stuff like that pops up I just assume it's part of that weird Ken Penders lawsuit thing. Maybe I'm just out of the loop but I think none of the games have been related to the comics at all? I feel like that doesn't help things since there's no landmarks, areas, reoccurring characters or anything to really familiarize yourself with game to game.

Unless you want to count Mean Bean Machine and that one minigame from Spinball the games and cartoons/Archie or Fleetway comics have NEVER been directly connected (the current IDW comic appears to be at least sort of canon to the game universe however)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trying posted:

the gently caress. tails? tails?! tails the eternally bitchmade?!

Tails has his own plane, his own personal mecha, he can fly, and he invents a ton of poo poo at least on par with Eggman. Playing as him is almost exclusively easymode compared to Sonic.

Trying posted:

Amy's hammer is like a better insta-shield!

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

Removing/backgrounding the other characters was the wrong lesson to take from 06. Kids love the side characters. It's just that the ones in 06 happened to be bad. And even then, I'd imagine any children who played that game probably still love Silver or Elise.

For the longest time, people, including people on this very forum complained that Sonic's "lovely friends" were the reason the games were bad, so we had a decade where Sonic and Classic Sonic were the only protagonists and the games still sucked with a few exceptions. These same people also complained that Sonic shouldn't have a plot and should just be about rolling around and kicking Eggman's rear end in Green Hill Zone. Sega listened to that crowd. Hence Sonic's friends weren't really playable until Mania and every game up until Frontiers and Superstars had Green Hill Zone in it.

The lesson Sega should have learned is to not rush their games and release them in an unfinished, broken state and to take their time to make the game they want to make good.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 14, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The lack of Super Shadow/Silver or Burning Blaze is more a side effect of the fact that Sonic never really shares the spotlight anymore in the "Modern" games, it's not like Sega is actively trying to wipe them from the series bible like with Hyper Sonic. They've continued to make appearances in the post-reboot Archie comics and the IDW comics.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

VostokProgram posted:

In SEGA's defense, the extremely loud chorus from the fanbase after 06 was "NO MORE SIDE CHARACTERS! JUST MAKE GAMES ABOUT SONIC AND EGGMAN!" The cast had ballooned a lot and there was a lot of alternate playstyles in those years from SA1 to 06.

In not their defense, it's their job to be able to parse that criticism as not being entirely level-headed and not take it completely literally and realize that what people were probably actually asking for was "no more side character that play like poo poo." It is also their job to not throw the baby out with the bathwater. Tails' arc from SA1 and SA2 does not need to go in the dumpster. Everything about Knuckles besides the fact that he's Sonic's red buddy does not need to go in the dumpster. Although those two were having their characters scooped out with a melonballer well before 06.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

My feedback was 10 Sonic Manias now

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

They do seem to be course correcting a bit more as of late though (Frontiers gave us some more insight into Tails and Knuckles and Amy seems to be moving beyond being purely a Sonic fangirl)

But yeah, I actually like having character variety in my Sonic games and hope we start getting a bit more in the next game that isn’t 2D or a racing title

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Personally my ideal Sonic game is like, Sly 2 or 3 where everyone you play that isn't Sonic/Shadow or Blaze has their own specialty and there's no Adventure/Battle 2 Chaos Emerald hot or cold gameplay.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, it’s more the gimmicks that were the problem than the characters themselves.

That said, the concept of Superstars changing the structure of each level to match the character you’re currently playing as sounds fun and I feel like they could implement a similar idea into a 3D title (unless I’m misinterpreting the “character specific acts” comment from earlier that is)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 14, 2023

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
eh

Hogama fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 14, 2023

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Had a feeling the game would be average at best. I’ll still give it a shot if the Switch version is fine.

They’re certainly not that good but I actually didn’t hate either Yoshi’s New Island or Hey Pikmin.

Tangent but although Yoshi’s New Island has maybe one of the worst soundtracks of any Nintendo game, this track is one of my favorites and I’m glad it was included in Smash Bros:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhVBeODHZJ4

At least this game will have a probably good soundtrack overall.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 14, 2023

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Larryb posted:

Yeah, it’s more the gimmicks that were the problem than the characters themselves.

Sonic Heroes didn't help matters because, while it addressed the problem some people had with the non-Sonic gameplay styles of the two Adventure games feeling kind of half-baked, it did this by making all of the different teams you played as feel kind of homogenous. And that was on top of the problem games following Heroes had of going "Hey did you enjoy playing this game? I hope so because you'll have to replay the same levels at least 3 more times with different characters before you actually beat it!", which wasn't directly related to the expansive cast of playable characters, but did end up getting intertwined with it.

I think they've taken some steps to establishing a decent status quo they could build on: Establishing Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy as the core quartet of the series is a really good start. I think if they put a bit more work building on the characters' playable appearance in the Frontiers DLC and flesh out their gameplay styles to be a bit more distinctive it could serve as a good template moving forward.

Chewybiteems
Mar 16, 2009
I actually somewhat liked the masochore platforming in Final Horizon but this Master Koco Trial is asking ALOT lmao. The surprise spectacle of the boss fights was the best thing in Frontiers and having to replay all of them a dozen times to min-max them for this BS challenge tarnished the initial feeling completely. Basically don't complain to a game dev that they made the game too easy or they might go ahead and pull this poo poo.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Replay value? Heh, Sonic Heroes has replay debt

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Trying posted:

The drop dash has to be one of the greatest most subtle improvements to a character's arsenal there has ever been, every major fan game and the official games themselves just immediately adopted it without question because it is such a natural extension of Sonic's moveset.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

SRB2 hasn't incorporated it.

Officially.

YET.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So can someone elaborate on these “character specific acts” in Superstars someone mentioned? Does that mean literally every level changes depending on who you bring into it or is it just specific parts of the game (because that actually sounds pretty cool if it’s the former and would give the game a ton of replay value)?

Also in regards to Final Horizon, it’s kind of interesting that in stark contrast to the main game the only minor enemies you find in the overworld besides minibosses are badniks (Motobugs, Buzz Bombers, and Spinners to be exact)

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Dabir posted:

SRB2 hasn't incorporated it.

Officially.

YET.

And yet SRB2 has multiple character mods that DO feature Drop Dash. It's just an absurdly popular ability and honestly it's cool as a hell and I'm happy to see it everywhere now.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Larryb posted:

So can someone elaborate on these “character specific acts” in Superstars someone mentioned? Does that mean literally every level changes depending on who you bring into it or is it just specific parts of the game (because that actually sounds pretty cool if it’s the former and would give the game a ton of replay value)?

Neither of those, they’re bonus acts where you play as a specific character

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Superstars is neat so far but jaysus I can't see multiplayer being anything but a frustrating mess.

Also it's hard sometimes to see when you're about to slam into spikes or a badnik while moving so fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I was going to get this primarily to play with my stepdaughter, sad to see they dropped the ball so badly for multiplayer. Think I'll give it a miss.